• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 3 PC Performance thread

squinters

astigmatic
For the life of me, I can't get beyond the "Connecting..." screen. It's been three days and the only match I've been able to play was apparently some fluke on Wednesday morning.

I could really use some help with this. I've tried port forwarding, updating Punkbuster, and even re-downloaded the whole game. The only lead I have to go on is that whenever I try the "Repair install" option, it commissions me the same 48.1 MB patch. Problem is that the patch never installs correctly.

Any ideas?

Piggus

CottonBaller said:
Try disabling Speedstep and Hyperthreading

HT isn't supported on the i5. I disabled the equivelant of speedstep and Caspian seemed to run well, but then when the map changed it went back to being shitty. :/

I'm starting to think this is just something we'll need to wait for to get fixed.

XLNC

Piggus said:
I can't get rid of my framerate stuttering no matter how hard I try. :/

Specs are:

i5 2500k 4.8 ghz
Crossfire 1gb 5850s @ 850/1100
16 Gbs DDR3 1600 mhz
Dual SSDs (raid 0)

I'm playing at 1080p with a mix of high and ultra. No AA, high post AA. Disabling AA gave me a huge performance boost but even with no AA and MEDIUM textures I get bad stuttering. Terrain and object detail is set to high. Effects and decoration set to ultra. Shadows on high.

The thing is, sometimes there is NO stuttering with high textures and sometimes it's really bad, even in the same level. I have a feeling there's some kind of memory leak that needs to be fixed.
What drivers/CAP profiles are you using?

Kade

Anyone else getting an issue where the first person gun models, every player model, foliage and shadows keep disappearing and reappearing at random? Game was fine on day one, but now it's pretty much unplayable.

Running @ 4.0GHZ Core I52500 K with 8gb ram, Radeon 5850 overclocked @ 850 core and 1175 mem.

Have everything on ultra except for Explosions which is on high, Anti alising is off as Ati msaa kills the frame rate, think im using fxaa.

At 1080p feels smooth as butter, amazed how optimized this game is.

Biff

Rabid Wolverine said:
Running @ 4.0GHZ Core I52500 K with 8gb ram, Radeon 5850 overclocked @ 850 core and 1175 mem.

Have everything on ultra except for Explosions which is on high, Anti alising is off as Ati msaa kills the frame rate, think im using fxaa.

At 1080p feels smooth as butter, amazed how optimized this game is.
amazed how optimized this game is.
I think it's a joke post, but I can't be certain.

ChefRamsay said:
I think it's a joke post, but I can't be certain.

He's right, for the level of graphics it runs quite well.

It runs (generally) ~60+ FPS maxed on my brothers 6970. Crysis 2007 probably wont run 60 FPS on that card.

Or the fact I can mostly max it at 30 FPS on my old 4890 and Q6600...

Biff

specialguy said:
He's right, for the level of graphics it runs quite well.

It runs (generally) ~60+ FPS maxed on my brothers 6970. Crysis 2007 probably wont run 60 FPS on that card.

Or the fact I can mostly max it at 30 FPS on my old 4890 and Q6600...
Maybe on the high end of rigs I suppose.

On the low end though, it's really painful. My PC beats minimum requirements, yet I can't run on low settings with FPS dipping into the low 20s, sometimes even high 'teens.

My bottleneck is a 3.0GHz C2D, yet official BF3 minimum requirements is 2.4GHz. All other components handily surpass minimum requirements (Win7 x64, 4GB RAM, GTX460 1GB). I have seen similar reports in other forums as well. Hopefully a future patch addresses CPU usage, because this game hits 100% really often - frustrating for the low end gamers!

Emily Chu

Banned
ChefRamsay said:

On the low end though, it's really painful. My PC beats minimum requirements, yet I can't run on low settings with FPS dipping into the low 20s, sometimes even high 'teens.

My bottleneck is a 3.0GHz C2D, yet official BF3 minimum requirements is 2.4GHz. All other components handily surpass minimum requirements (Win7 x64, 4GB RAM, GTX460 1GB).

all you can do is to get a Quad core... sadly

that or wait a 6 months to a year for optimization patches.

Salacious Crumb

I'm running a 2500K and 6970 and with everything set to ultra except shadows and effects set to high and res set to 2560x1440 (0MSAA med FXAA) I'm averaging 50-40fps. Very, very rarely does it drop below 40 and even at 40 the game feels surprisingly smooth and responsive.

I couldn't be much happier with the performance on my rig.

Piggus

XLNC said:
What drivers/CAP profiles are you using?

11.10 Beta V3 with 11.9 CAP4

Uninstalling CAP4 just messes up my Crossfire scaling. I was on 11.9 before (with CAP4) and had the same issue.

Emily Chu said:

Around the time in 2008 when I got this Q6600, the hot thing was getting high clocked Core2Dou's. Everybody told me to do that, "oh, you'll never need the extra cores anytime soon anyway. two cores with more clockspeed is much better because games dont even use those extra cores" but I was smart and went Quad instead.

Who's laughing now.

jlevel13

Can't launch, I just get a DirectX error, but everything is up to date. Have to start the task manager to quit out of the game. The weird thing is that the beta worked fine... spent the last hour and a half trying different stuff, but...

Erasus

Emily Chu said:

This is what fucked me in other games too, and Bad Company 2.

The requirements say a 2+GHZ dual core and a 8800GT

But that gets you like 20-30fps, with dips into teens. Thats not fucking playable, who sets these reqs? Have they actually tested the game on comps like that?

I got a quad and my fps doubled in Bad Company 2 with a 4830.

Not getting BF3 because the requirements say that a 8800/3780/4830 is fine, but I dont trust that one bit.

Nekrono

Salacious Crumb said:
I'm running a 2500K and 6970 and with everything set to ultra except shadows and effects set to high and res set to 2560x1440 (0MSAA med FXAA) I'm averaging 50-40fps. Very, very rarely does it drop below 40 and even at 40 the game feels surprisingly smooth and responsive.

I couldn't be much happier with the performance on my rig.
Is your processor running at stock or have you OC'ed?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Erasus said:
This is what fucked me in other games too, and Bad Company 2.

The requirements say a 2+GHZ dual core and a 8800GT

But that gets you like 20-30fps, with dips into teens. Thats not fucking playable, who sets these reqs? Have they actually tested the game on comps like that?

I got a quad and my fps doubled in Bad Company 2 with a 4830.

Not getting BF3 because the requirements say that a 8800/3780/4830 is fine, but I dont trust that one bit.
Min specs mean the game is playable at the min settings - meaning lowest quality settings at lower resolutions (1024x768 or lower).

Evoga

ChefRamsay said:

My bottleneck is a 3.0GHz C2D, yet official BF3 minimum requirements is 2.4GHz. All other components handily surpass minimum requirements (Win7 x64, 4GB RAM, GTX460 1GB). I have seen similar reports in other forums as well. Hopefully a future patch addresses CPU usage, because this game hits 100% really often - frustrating for the low end gamers!

I am finding my dual core 2Ghz E2180 over locked to 3Ghz runs the game at 1920x1200 amazingly fast. It is only paired with an old 5830 and it's looking stunning with no frame drop even in 64 player maps.

Nekrono

Is there an "official" BF3 performance analysis comparing each setting with screenshots and how it impacts the framerate yet?

ChefRamsay said:

Your GPU is your biggest bottleneck

I went from low to high (avg 40fps with AA off) when I upgraded from 4850 to 6850, thats with a E8400 (3.0GHz C2D).

CPU bottleneck isn't as severe as how bad BC2 was, seems like they did alot of dual core optimizing.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
installing preview 3, getting some sturring here.. using a HD6770.

Hug me guys and support me.

Khal_B

Posted this in the main thread but it's probably more relevant here.

At first it wasn't that bad, but now I'm getting this error ALL the time:

1RwKA.png

I have a GTX 480, updated my Direct X and drivers and the problem seems worse now. Does anyone know how I can fix this? It's really frustrating.

kitch9

Banned
Khal_B said:

1RwKA.png

I have a GTX 480, updated my Direct X and drivers and the problem seems worse now. Does anyone know how I can fix this? It's really frustrating.

Run Dxdiag and look for any anomalies.

The game wouldn't let me select above medium terrain detail, I checked Dxdiag and it was reporting my 6970 as a 4250.

Took a fair bit of correcting that.

Khal_B

kitch9 said:
Run Dxdiag and look for any anomalies.

The game wouldn't let me select above medium terrain detail, I checked Dxdiag and it was reporting my 6970 as a 4250.

Took a fair bit of correcting that.

Everything seems to check out on my end.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I may be completely nuts- but-

I had to reinstall 11.6 Ati drivers to make my TrackIR work so I could play Rise of Flight. (Trackir will not boot with the past few ATI driver updates)

I then played BF3, and there was an actual warning popup about my drivers being too out of date to play. It said I need 11.7 or above, but I just hit "OK" and the game loaded.

I don't think I've had a smoother BF3 experience to this day. Very little frame loss, explosions near me had zero frame hit.

Maybe the 11.6 drivers can't render advanced shaders/FX. I do have to say that the game looked exactly like it did using the latest driver set, and ran alot bit smoother.

ChefRamsay said:

Dual cores are shit, the C2D is a five year old processor at this point

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Do we have more people who have successful stories of removing microstutters by disabling HT? Also what is this I hear about disabling speed-step as well?

Dina said:
Harsh. My e8400 + 8800GT was a pretty killer budget gaming combo for its time.

For its time yes, absolutely. my e6600 was a veritable workhorse and i sure as fuck got my moneys worth out of it, but count the years...C2D is practically stone age at this point.

big_z

Dina said:
Harsh. My e8400 + 8800GT was a pretty killer budget gaming combo for its time.

yes it was. im still using a e8400 + 9800GTX but plan to update when ivy bridge hits.

when it comes to BF3 the minimum specs might get you by in single player but multi is a death sentence. i think for multi you need a quad core plus a 200 series card as a minimum for a decent experience.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
Single player runs great, only getting stuttering on multiplayer..

Is it just a server thing guys ?

Dina

fizzelopeguss said:
For its time yes, absolutely. my e6600 was a veritable workhorse and i sure as fuck got my moneys worth out of it, but count the years...C2D is practically stone age at this point.

Don't know if I agree with stone age, sure it won't run games like BF3 (what about Rage?) that well, and BF3 online seems horrible with that system, but that's a heavy game. There are tons of other games coming out that might run well. Take the new MW3, I betcha that will still run pretty well on that system.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Kentpaul said:
Single player runs great, only getting stuttering on multiplayer..

Is it just a server thing guys ?

Could be lag. I'm willing to bet some people are confusing performance stuttering with server lag, the latter of which I do get occasionally depending on the server. I know its lag, as the chatbox rages.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
EatChildren said:
Could be lag. I'm willing to bet some people are confusing performance stuttering with server lag, the latter of which I do get occasionally depending on the server. I know its lag, as the chatbox rages.

It's also easier to spot as your guy moves like he is on an air hockey table.

elektrixx

Banned
I'm running the PC version at locked 30FPS on purpose so it doesn't suck so bad when I switch to console.

I'm very happy with everything on max/ultra Vsync 1920x1080.

This is my machine:

september2011pickup5.png

PnCIa

EatChildren said:
Unfortunatelly i get the same type of stuttering in singleplayer, no matter which level of detail i choose :(

Dina said:
Don't know if I agree with stone age, sure it won't run games like BF3 (what about Rage?) that well, and BF3 online seems horrible with that system, but that's a heavy game. There are tons of other games coming out that might run well. Take the new MW3, I betcha that will still run pretty well on that system.

I dunno, i think processor speed affects the texture streaming in rage, unless you have nvidia fermi card where you can turn gpu transcode on.

I know crysis 2 ran like a dog on my C2D. And that CPU massively bottlenecked my 560ti...but i expected that.

Wallach

fizzelopeguss said:
I dunno, i think processor speed affects the texture streaming in rage, unless you have nvidia fermi card where you can turn gpu transcode on.

I know crysis 2 ran like a dog on my C2D. And that CPU massively bottlenecked my 560ti...but i expected that.

CPU is responsible for texture transcoding in RAGE, yeah. Even with a GeForce I don't know if the GPU is given full transcoding duty (though it would surely help a slower CPU).

Nabs

elektrixx said:
I'm running the PC version at locked 30FPS on purpose so it doesn't suck so bad when I switch to console.

I'm very happy with everything on max/ultra Vsync 1920x1080.

why don't you run it on low while you're at it.

Khal_B

Khal_B said:

1RwKA.png

Rolling back to an older driver seems to have done the trick, though I get an annoying notification before every game telling me that my drivers are outdated. Better than the game crashing, I guess. Hope that this issue is resolved soon, as it seems that others are also experiencing this same issue.

1-D_FTW

Ran it without any issues yesterday (even Caspian).*

* Issues being smoothness. Still had trouble joining the occassional server or crashing out, but that seems more fundamental. When I crash out and the gaf server is showing 28 people playing, I'm guessing a bunch of people crashed out with me.

Playing with Triple Buffering locked at 60fps, my GTX 460 was occassionally dipping to 88 percent utilization and spend a lot more time in the 93-98 range than the rare 99 percent. And I'm GPU bound. So that means I'm locking at 60fps the majority of the time (although probably not on Caspian).

Using Auto, everything gets set to high. I've customized that by turning off the motion blur and turning the lighting from the max to the next lowest setting. Still looks great and getting great framerates @1080P. So happy about the performance.*

*Occasional crashes aside.

Top Bottom