• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 4 PS4 multiplayer issues

Newlove

You really need a secondary display while playing for assignment unlocks. I used to have BF3 on 360 in my bedroom so I could always see the assignments on the PC while playing, but now my PS4 is in the living room (much better 1080p TV) and so it makes things difficult. Especially these round based assignments.

kitch9

Banned
Couple times last night i unloaded a full clip into a enemy, didn't register at all. Really aggravating.

Client side hit registration says you are talking complete bollocks.

Unfortunately.

Client side hit registration means you'll hear plenty of people complaining about being shot around corners, but none complaining about their shots not hitting where they aimed, apart from those talking bollocks of course. Counter Strike used to suffer with the problem of not hitting where you aimed for years due to a fully server based hit reg system.
I'm pretty confident DICE doesn't have any sort of in house test procedures or test team to validate the code they write. If they did, no way some of these issues make it into the builds they release. It seems they depend on us to provide the feedback; meaning they're relying on the consumer to test out their builds.

FUCK DICE and FUCK EA

Yawn.

Unfortunately.

Client side hit registration means you'll hear plenty of people complaining about being shot around corners, but none complaining about their shots not hitting where they aimed.

Yawn.
There's an issue with the hit detection with ADS though, I don't know if this is the issue in question.. But it would explain it wouldn't it?

kitch9

Banned
There's an issue with the hit detection with ADS though, I don't know if this is the issue in question.. But it would explain it wouldn't it?

Hit reg is client side, BF has been this way for a while hence the proliferation of people complaining about getting shot when they thought they were in cover.

The game will register hits instantly as it's your machine acknowledging the hit.

wowlace

I've started having hit detection problems. Basically point blank red dot on the target no hits. It happens regardless of client side detection.

zlatko

Banned
I've started having hit detection problems. Basically point blank red dot on the target no hits. It happens regardless of client side detection.

This is the only issue I've run into since owning the game. Luckily it has only occurred once for me, but wow was it a frustrating one to experience.

I'm pretty confident DICE doesn't have any sort of in house test procedures or test team to validate the code they write. If they did, no way some of these issues make it into the builds they release. It seems they depend on us to provide the feedback; meaning they're relying on the consumer to test out their builds.

FUCK DICE and FUCK EA

After working in the industry for 12 years and counting I have gathered this about BF4.

1. The game didn't have enough QA support to properly test. To throughly test 64 player conquest you need.... 64 players. You need multiple teams of 64's playing the game and hitting all aspects of the product.

2. The test team reported the issues. (Obviously, the reproducible crashes had to have been hit by the test team.) Then management or producers decided to waive fixes for those issues so they can ship on time.

3. Microsoft and Sony certifications had to have seen this as well and decided to give them a pass. Why? It's EA and a big 3rd party title you want on your platform without delay. That was a kick in the gamers face honestly. You pay your $60 to only have the game crash after two button presses. (For me that would be the OPTION button on title screen, and then X Button to select CAMPAIGN... Result: CRASH ...Note: Before the 2nd and 3rd patches arrived.)

kitch9

Banned

You didn't hit. Internet delay can throw up anomalies in a one on one scenario where you think you've got the jump on someone and the other guy has actually seen you and shot you first.

RazorUK

Pilot, your Titan is ready, prepare for Titanbombs
You didn't hit.

The issue of not getting hit markers and doing no damage is actually listed on the official 'Top Issues Tracker'.
Link: http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/forum/threadview/2955065670203355766/

To quote what they say:
Some instances of no hit effects and no damage to opponent in your sights
Platform(s): All

I have had this issue several times, even on players standing still. This isn't always a case of people missing their shots due to bad aim.

kitch9

Banned
The issue of not getting hit markers is actually listed on the official 'Top Issues Tracker'.

Link: http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/forum/threadview/2955065670203355766/

To quote what they say:

I have had this issue several times, even on players standing still. This isn't always a case of people missing their shots due to bad aim.

People complained to Valve because the hit boxes were always slightly behind a moving target in Counter Strike for years. They struggled to fix it and in the the end the lag compensation they implemented just moved the problem elsewhere.

Internet delay exists, it always will all the best algorithms to try to help will just move the problem somewhere else.

jsip

Banned

Unfortunately.

Client side hit registration means you'll hear plenty of people complaining about being shot around corners, but none complaining about their shots not hitting where they aimed, apart from those talking bollocks of course. Counter Strike used to suffer with the problem of not hitting where you aimed for years due to a fully server based hit reg system.

Yawn.

Oh shit you don't know?

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=1396065767308909

Now you know. Put it to good use. DICE knows there is an issue so please stop talking like it isn't there, kthx.

RazorUK

Pilot, your Titan is ready, prepare for Titanbombs
I know there's people complaining that certain things aren't instant on an online game where delay always exists as there always will be.

Thanks for pointing it out though.

What delay are you referring to here though? There was no lag or delay in the action. The sniper shot simply did nothing at all when it should have been a hit. The target was standing still and not moving.
That is the problem you seem to be missing.

jsip

Banned
I know there's people complaining that certain things aren't instant on an online game where delay always exists as there always will be.

But, you just said hit detection is client side. Its not about lag. The first bullet went right through the guy's skull as dictated by the trail. He didnt die nor was there a hit marker. I had to line up a second shot.

So what youre saying is that hit detection is OK and client side but in the video I linked its due to inherent latency? But... You said its client side.

Which one is it? According to you its not lag, but in this case it is.

Edit: For those who don't feel like watching...

First shot: Dude is a G-G-G-G-GHOST!!!!!!1
E5162zA.png

Second shot: Dude has coalesced into a solid form once again.

f0nz0

Yea yesterday I unloaded almost a full clip of a lmg into a guy running straight toward me..and it only started registering hit markers about half way into the clip

But, you just said hit detection is client side. Its not about lag. The first bullet went right through the guy's skull as dictated by the trail. He didnt die nor was there a hit marker. I had to line up a second shot.

So what youre saying is that hit detection is OK and client side but in the video I linked its due to inherent latency? But... You said its client side.

Which one is it? According to you its not lag, but in this case it is.

Edit: For those who don't feel like watching...

First shot: Dude is a G-G-G-G-GHOST!!!!!!1

Second shot: Dude has coalesced into a solid form once again.
Shit like this happens constantly when sniping. It makes dialing your scope in more difficult too because it's hard to know if it's another fuckup in the game or the scope isn't dialed in.

It's not the latter option.

After working in the industry for 12 years and counting I have gathered this about BF4.

1. The game didn't have enough QA support to properly test. To throughly test 64 player conquest you need.... 64 players. You need multiple teams of 64's playing the game and hitting all aspects of the product.

2. The test team reported the issues. (Obviously, the reproducible crashes had to have been hit by the test team.) Then management or producers decided to waive fixes for those issues so they can ship on time.

3. Microsoft and Sony certifications had to have seen this as well and decided to give them a pass. Why? It's EA and a big 3rd party title you want on your platform without delay. That was a kick in the gamers face honestly. You pay your $60 to only have the game crash after two button presses. (For me that would be the OPTION button on title screen, and then X Button to select CAMPAIGN... Result: CRASH ...Note: Before the 2nd and 3rd patches arrived.)

DICE and EA clearly knew they were screwing the consumer over, and thats unacceptable. I have hard time dealing with the fact that some of the issues from launch still aren't resolved. I mean EVERY PS4 is the SAME, how can they still have so many bugs. The games been out for while now.

It is great when it works, but joining maps of your choice, especially in conquest mode, is so tedious at times. Also, does anyone else join a match where the round ends as soon as you join? Such a frustrating experience. :/

rafaelr

so, i tried looking for 32 or 48 player EU servers for ps4 today, since there are some convenient server filters seemingly just for that. but it looks like there are only 64 player conquest servers.
also, setting a filter for game mode rotation (different game modes in the map rotation) doesn´t return any servers.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
What the fuck. I just had the best round ever AND IT DIDN'T COUNT. It was even on the Dice servers.

What a joke.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
From Battlelog:

The end of December 2XP event for Premium members has been postponed and will be run at a later date. Stay tuned for more information. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Fucking criminal, but brilliant move by EA. Don't fix the problem. Don't build up to demand. Just delay things until after people have to return to work and school. The problem will then solve itself!

TyrantII

The issue of not getting hit markers and doing no damage is actually listed on the official 'Top Issues Tracker'.

To quote what they say:

Not sure if its the same issue but I've noticed TV Missiles have been going through dead center hit targets for me a good 20%-30% of the time. Mostly attack boats and choppers, but every now and then a tank at a good distance will have one go right through and hit the ground or rocks for a trivial amount of splash damage.

Add that to their punch getting nerfed from BF3 and they almost worthless outside of one on one attack craft battles. Can belived they nerfed them, after all they're hard enough to fire and leave you open to attack.

YuShtink

Bought this a couple days ago and certain maps just refuse to load for me. Siege of Shanghai, Rogue Transmission, and a couple others, no matter how many times I try. WTF. Certain maps work fine. Are other people having this issue?

They updated the ticker in the game to say that the premium double px event has been postponed till a later date.

Otnopolit

My eyes will be peeled on this thread for when these issues finally all get resolved. Not buying this game until then. For you guys that do own it already, I hope they get their act together soon!

Mayyhem

Well a week ago it was working perfect. I knew it was too good to be true. Cant even get into a single game now.

What a amazing purchase

Mumford

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who has unloaded full clips into people only for it not to register and that I'm not going crazy.

However,

Am I the only one to have almost no issues with this game other than that? Seriously, I fucking love this game, so much so that I'm even considering shelling out the money for Battlefield Premium, and I usually don't even consider purchasing things such as Season Passes and such. (I didn't even do it for Battlefield 3, a game which I enjoyed but not quite as much as I'm enjoying BF4.) I got this game for Christmas with my PS4, so I'd imagine many of the launch kinks are probably worked out by now, but still. Yes, I have had some crashes (3 I believe) but 2 of those were in campaign (which I surprisingly enjoyed for what it is), and a friend of mine also experienced having his campaign data wiped, but overall, my experience with this game so far has been so overwhelmingly positive that it's been very easy for me (and my previously mentioned friend) to overlook the problems that this game has, as they overall haven't affected my actual ability to enjoy this wonderful game. After having already logged over a day's worth of gameplay to the online multiplayer, it's still a blast to me. I really enjoy the overall sandbox they've developed, as well as the overall look & feel of the game. It's the game that really says to me "next-gen has arrived" from both a gameplay and graphics perspective.

terrible

Banned
Bought this a couple days ago and certain maps just refuse to load for me. Siege of Shanghai, Rogue Transmission, and a couple others, no matter how many times I try. WTF. Certain maps work fine. Are other people having this issue?

Shanghai won't load on map change for me right now. This is a new thing for me. I can join in on games in progress on that map just fine though.

*Knock on wood* I've had a nearly wholly positive experience with BF4 on PS4 *Knock on wood* Out of my maybe 9-10 matches, I've run into one glitchy moment which did not even end my game. It was on Paracel Storm and I was walking on an island and fell into water, and then fell onto land, and then onto water again. This went on for about another 5-10 seconds. The constant falling caused damage to my health. I was bracing for a server disconnect/crash, but it never came and I was able to finish. So far, I'm having a blast (despite my constant deaths).

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Has anyone been able to successfully join a server using the iPhone Battlelog app on the PS4?

It either says "You have to be online on PS4" when I try to join a server on it (I am online, and BF4 is sitting at it's own server browser). Or, if I'm actually in a server, the Battlelog app detects me as online, but when I press a server on the server list on the app, it immediately says "cannot connect to server".

I remember reading someone on here was using their iPhone to connect to PS4 games... how do you do it?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Oh, and one more thing that is a total shit next to the toilet moment for EA:

They have all of these live updating windows with all sorts of ads for Premium and news and whatnot that you can click on and they bring you to live-updated pages.

There's one that says "NEW PATCH LIVE!", and when you click on it, it shows you a web URL to go to so you can read what the patch fixed. And you can't even click on the web URL... they want you to write it down on a piece of paper then go to your computer and type it in...

I mean, what in the hell? Just PUT THE PATCH NOTES IN THE THING YOU CLICK ON THAT YOU BUILT SPECIFICALLY TO LIVE UPDATE! Why the hell did you bother making it go to a page in the first place just to tell you a web page to go to?

I just can't even wrap my head around what is going on over there

Has anyone been able to successfully join a server using the iPhone Battlelog app on the PS4?

It either says "You have to be online on PS4" when I try to join a server on it (I am online, and BF4 is sitting at it's own server browser). Or, if I'm actually in a server, the Battlelog app detects me as online, but when I press a server on the server list on the app, it immediately says "cannot connect to server".

I remember reading someone on here was using their iPhone to connect to PS4 games... how do you do it?

i don't know about the smartphone app but I have used the PS4 web browser to log into Battlelog and join games from that.

VariantX

Oh, and one more thing that is a total shit next to the toilet moment for EA:

They have all of these live updating windows with all sorts of ads for Premium and news and whatnot that you can click on and they bring you to live-updated pages.

There's one that says "NEW PATCH LIVE!", and when you click on it, it shows you a web URL to go to so you can read what the patch fixed. And you can't even click on the web URL... they want you to write it down on a piece of paper then go to your computer and type it in...

I mean, what in the hell? Just PUT THE PATCH NOTES IN THE THING YOU CLICK ON THAT YOU BUILT SPECIFICALLY TO LIVE UPDATE! Why the hell did you bother making it go to a page in the first place just to tell you a web page to go to?

I just can't even wrap my head around what is going on over there

On the other hand, you can boot up warframe, see all the additions, patchnotes and bugfixes right there while you wait for the game to load.

YuShtink

This game is a fucking piece of shit. I boot it up this morning and I'm stuck in an infinite loop where everytime the game loads I'm immediately pulled into a server before I can choose anything in the menu, which is, you guessed it, on Siege of Shanghai, so my game crashes. Rinse and repeat. Never again Dice, never again.

B_Boss

Hey guys, I didn't know where else to ask but I certainly wanted to see if GAF knew but does BF4 on PS4 have dynamic smoke as seen on PC? I'm inclined to doubt (alot of GPU processing power no?) but I'm definitely curious. Thanks for any info or feedback.

Unfortunately.

Yawn.

Look man it's happened multiple times...50/s connection wired. I'm not fucking seeing things it happened POINT BLANK a few times. What I said is not "complete bollocks".

No shit lag exists but sorry this isn't my first FPS on a console SOMETHING IS UP. Never have I pumped a full clip into someone and had the guy kill me and it's showing he has 100 health. THATS B/S.

DICE better got off their sorry asses and fix this stupid IRNV scope glitch I keep having in every single match I play

Yeah, it's a pain. Just remember to switch weapons and back again on each respawn.

For some reason all of my weapon progression seems to reset between battles right now.
Grrr this better be temporary, can't even use a shotgun.

It is "temporary," but you still have to restart the game to get it to reset. I expect it will be fixed soon, although also temporarily. It was an intermittent problem in BF3 and BC2, also.

Top Bottom