• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 5 Fails To Meet Sales Targets, And EA Explains Why (7.3 million units sold)

Paracelsus

7.3 is good if you don't ask what game it is. It's pretty bad for an AAAA game and worse if you think it's half of what the previous game made. A lot was off the bargain bin to add insult to injury.

I played the beta and got bored after a few matches.

It's all the same shit I've already played. Maybe the SJW bollocks is simply a cry for help/mania from a dev team forced to make the same slop year after year.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Insulting your userbase and telling them not to buy the game if they don’t like them making up shit in the game is not the best way to get your battlefield players to merge across from other games..they reaped what they sowed

The game itself also has some design choices which go against all previous bf games

3D spotting gone
Extra animations for entering/exiting stuff
Revive mechanics
Lying around “sunnytayta”
Some classes have shit weapons

The above things make bfv not a very fun game to people who have played all the bf games since bf1942

I’ve said this before..they strived for realism but forgot the fun

-3d spotting gone is a good thing.
-The revive mechanics are much better than they used to be.
-How is the laying around different from before?
-The extra animations are more immersive
- the game has been rebalanced and the guns are in a pretty good spot.

Have you actually played the game, or do you just spend money on gold nameplates for forums and spew absolute garbage for fun?

I mean, your points are completely against what the core battlefield community wants.

BF 5 isn't perfect, but the community is pretty happy with how it is right now provided they continue to work on it.

Last edited:

renzolama

How much more poorly can things possibly go for EA before they retire Andrew Wilson. Every major bet he's made that led to short term gains is now back firing with decreasing long term stability / profit / reputation. He clearly doesn't have any new innovative ideas to replace their dying predatory microtransaction business. It's going to be glorious watching EA and Activision implode over the next half-decade.

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
Tbh I'm surprised it manage to sell like 7.3 million

Was expecting something lower than that considering all that controversy behind this game

angelic

Banned
1 year too early. Half empty menus, Enforced politics. Antagonising your audience. Admitting the game was totally unbalanced and changing the TTK dramatically. Pandering to vocal minorities in a tasteless way. You want to show women in the war? Show the real ones, the female snipers, do it properly. Don't have one single little girl grab a machine gun and plough through 200 enemies. More supply drop bullshit.

I'm 44 and in my entire lifetime, EA have never, ever, ever been a company I have had any affection for. Their high point was PGA tour 2 on the Megadrive, and maybe Dungeon Keeper (who's grave they well and truly irrigated with executive piss).

Last edited:

McHuj

Nobody cares about the BF BR mode. There’s already a glut of games competing for that. What we don’t have is a glut of 32 vs 32 warfare games. Stick to what your good it BF and don’t dilute the product with stuff no one asked for.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
There are better games, better Devs better publishers more deserving of those sales so I wouldn't complain.

angelic

Banned
Nobody cares about the BF BR mode. There’s already a glut of games competing for that. What we don’t have is a glut of 32 vs 32 warfare games. Stick to what your good it BF and don’t dilute the product with stuff no one asked for.

This too, stop trying to make every game have every feature. I know this picture is old but it makes me laugh whenever I look at it, or imagine the concept.

80b.jpg

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
BF was:

- Delayed a month
- No BR mode
- Quirky SJW type of storyline

Money talks and EA learned its lesson. I guarantee you all (bookmark this post), the next BF game that comes out (usually 2 year gaps), it will be:

- On time (releasing before Call of Duty)
- Will have BR mode
- Will get back to authentic types of storylines
- You won't be seeing any #Everyonesbattlefield PR

Adding.

REAL EVENTS OF WWII.

Not more stupid scenes like the snowman create in battlefield or stupid "Fornite" humor.

More respect to the costumer.

More and Huge Maps or different Battle camps

This too, stop trying to make every game have every feature. I know this picture is old but it makes me laugh whenever I look at it, or imagine the concept.

80b.jpg

No way.

that would be the last ridiculous

What would it be next, get off a plane with a parachute in the shape of a soccer ball? and dancing like a moron?

Last edited:

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
BF was:

- Delayed a month
- No BR mode
- Quirky SJW type of storyline

Money talks and EA learned its lesson. I guarantee you all (bookmark this post), the next BF game that comes out (usually 2 year gaps), it will be:

- On time (releasing before Call of Duty)
- Will have BR mode
- Will get back to authentic types of storylines
- You won't be seeing any #Everyonesbattlefield PR
You are assuming that SJWs are capable of learning their lesson. History says otherwise. I expect a double-down.

-hadouken

-The extra animations are more immersive
The opposite for me. Every time my arm waves an ammo or health pack in my face, it takes me out of the game. Same thing when I prone and then see my legs sticking up in a bizarre way. The new animations are hit and miss.

Last edited:
They also blamed focus on a Single Player campaign instead of yet another Battle Royale mode...

Well then, if they get rid of the single player mode in the next installment, looks like I’m done with Battlefield as well as Cod for including no single player campaign.

Last edited:
The video game industry is truly in dark times when 7.3 million in a few months is considered a failure and doesn’t make enough for shareholders. What’s going to happen when games end up costing half a billion to develop?

I find those sales disappointingly high.

When the game was revealed it wasn't the prominent presence of a woman I found jarring, it was the goofy makeup, clothing, and general lack of WWII visual identity. It looked like it could be a steampunk WWII alternate history and that would have been cool as shit but for some reason it wasn't? It was like they had all this goofy shit and random races, genders, disabled people with warpaint on frontline battles and trying to play it straight. It made no sense, except that they were pandering to the social justice crowd and demeaning the setting with fortnight esque customizations with realistic graphics, physics, etc. during real battles..

When people complained it didnt resemble WWII and for some found disrespectful of history (as was their right) Dice had the gall to call those people uneducated... Unbelievable... Dice literally misrepresented history and instead of acknowledging that and coming up with a viable argument they instantly lump all complainers in with alt right, woman hating, white supremacists. This is when they lost my sale.

Unfortunately, there was some loud people who were a bit too upset of woman and races being so prominent in the game, to the point of being disrespectful of the idea of representation for the sake of it. There was no need to be so vitriolic about it and unfortunately that only fed the idea that it was largely misogynist alt righters leading this campaign. I feel that drowned out the more valid arguments and now EA/DICE and the social justice inclined media will never acknowledge the real reasons many were down on the game.

Last edited:

tr1p1ex

Sales were less than expected but what was expected was already reduced in their warning last year. :)

Plus they discounted the game heavily while not meeting sales expectations and it's still 50% off at Walmart in the US and has been since week 1. Nevermind does sold mean sold through to customers or sold to retailers?

IT's not just the marketing either. Many players don't care for the game.

Last edited:

tr1p1ex

1 year too early. Half empty menus, Enforced politics. Antagonising your audience. Admitting the game was totally unbalanced and changing the TTK dramatically. Pandering to vocal minorities in a tasteless way. You want to show women in the war? Show the real ones, the female snipers, do it properly. Don't have one single little girl grab a machine gun and plough through 200 enemies. More supply drop bullshit.

I'm 44 and in my entire lifetime, EA have never, ever, ever been a company I have had any affection for. Their high point was PGA tour 2 on the Megadrive, and maybe Dungeon Keeper (who's grave they well and truly irrigated with executive piss).

I don't know. I remember Dr. J vs Larry Bird. IN the beginning EA was Electronic Arts and their name meant something. Now their name means shoddy product that does it best to annoy customers.

DonF

I paid $24 for it and im Ok. If I had paid $60 .... ooff. Its good, but not AAA $60 dollar good. It lack a last pass of polish and better progression.

It's a shame because I really like the gunplay and the revive system. Just waiting for more maps. Politics aside the game is great just undercooked as battlefield games usually start out.

Imtjnotu

If your not willing to listen to your fan base, how can you expect to succeed?

You pushed and agenda, you told us not to buy it, you put in game modes that you thought would grab the kids and twitch attention, and fucked up online damages with out anyone's consent.

Start giving a shit about what your fans want and stop fucking ruining your franchises that have BF abbreviations

Great Hair

Banned
Battlefield Royale incoming!! U nos aim rite ... EA has the biggest peanus! Hence their royale will have 500 people at once!!!! And or vehicles ....its gonna be the biggest shit eva - Snoop Dogg

"Not only that, but Wilson suggested that EA's decision to prioritise Battlefield 5's single-player over the new battle royale mode, "

Clearly he is talking out of his ass, they did not spend a lot of time on those piss poor agenda driven "untold stories". If they did, oh my, how embarrassing :messenger_grinning_sweat:

In the end a friend made me cave and I bought it to play with him. I have spent 50 hrs and I've seen what there is to see. This game is Battlefront in a battlefield skin. An inch deep puddle.

Last edited:

Starfield

Wilson added that the game's delay from October to November hurt Battlefield 5
NO!

Holy shit, how can you be so out of touch???

That's literally the only thing that HELPED BFV otherwise it would have been an even disasterous launch.

Releasing a game with zero content and stupid unnecessary political messages that don't fit in a shooter about WOLRD WAR TWO hurt Battlefield 5.

Get your fucking shit together you money hungry suits

Starfield

Here is what you have to do for the next Battlefield EA:

-use your time and take 1 year more for development
-If you want to make a Single Player story then make ONE concentrated story, not this War Heroes bullshit. BF3's story was fine for example
-If you want to scrap SP alltogether then take those ressources and deliver a phenomenal MP only Battlefield with atleast 15 maps on launch. (not 8, wtf is 8???)
-offer customization but within a natural way, no unrealistic bullshit, if you want to do that atleast don't make it a fucking WW2 game lmao
-remove "SANITÄTER" feature. It fucking sucks
-make piloting aircraft actually skillful again
-CUSTOM SERVERS!!!! Seriously why the fuck aren't there any? Where are the Panzerstorm 24/7 servers or whatever you want. Holy heck this was one of the best features in this franchise.

oh and don't go woke until you want to go broke (Again)

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
that's what they get for being assholes and setting it in a world war.

let me know when they do a modern/futuristic game again...until then i'll just keep playing BF3 + 4. i was tired of World War FPS back in 2006 and i still am.

battlefront games are the best thing dice has done since 2013.

Last edited:

Hudo

Does Andrew Wilson play what his company puts out? Because it seems to me that he doesn't.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
This is soo crazy to me not too long ago a game that sold 1 million was considered a success now 7 million is bad for certain franchises holy crap
this is EA...not some small studio/publisher.

7.3m might sound a lot and it is but they expect far more than that.

Ogbert

Don’t be fooled. Those are garbage numbers. It’s been on a permanent sale to try and fend off the shit storm.

Not in the least surprising. Average game and dickhead PR moves.

I bought but haven’t played much. The short TTK, the lessened importance of squad mechanics, the new spot system, It all makes the game more like Call of Duty and less like Battlefield. If I wanted to play CoD I would. Go back to BF3 setting and gameplay and I’m in.

GenericUser

They lowered their expactions before the game even launched and now the game failes to meet even these expectations. Dice definitely needs to step up their game with the next battlefield or things could get even get worse.

ZywyPL

Banned
wanted WW2 but they ahead anyway.

Everybody wanted the return to WW2, the thing is, they never deliver, instead they went for some sci-fi "WWI" while CoD:WWII filled the nostalgia exceptionally. And a year later, when the nostalgia was already filled, they went for yet another sci-fi "WWII" game. Still, over 7MLN is a lot, they just need to lower their expectations and focus on making good games instead of chasing CoD sales, because this will never happen.

MilkyJoe

The game sold a massive 7.3 million units in the time between launch in November and the end of the year, but this was 1 million short of what EA had projected. As for why the game struggled, EA CEO Andrew Wilson said the marketing campaign failed to capture the attention of players. The campaign lacked a "creative center," the company said, though it shared no other details.

What a load of shit

If their projected was 8 million and only sole 7, then that was only possible to it selling for peanuts a week after release.

The marketing campaign failed to capture the key audience, the woke brigade are not buying the games, no matter how loud they are on Resetera.

The campaign lacked a campaign (and changed the reality for virtue points)

It's like 2 people in a lift, one farting and blaming the other fella. Hilarious to watch really.

Three

Maybe it's time for EA to admit to self that BF won't sell CoD or Rockstar numbers as every time it's like clockwork "falls short".
Maybe Bad Company 3 in a Vietnam settings, puur jungle no sci-fi shit or twisted realities...I think that might sell better than current BF numbered entries.

220px-Battlefield_Vietnam_Coverart.png

I played this game on PC for years before 360 and PS3 came out and made Battlefield more popular.

Mista

Banned
DICE were the ones that fucked up right? They're the ones with the retarded PR moves.
True. The statement where they said “if you don’t like it don’t buy it” fucked it up and I think they should’ve issued an apology

Top Bottom