• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefront 2 is actually fun

TheContact

I grabbed this game from one of the EGS giveaways but only started playing it this weekend. I think I played in the beta or some kind of trial access but the game never sucked me in despite the hundreds of hours I have in Battlefield games. The game was also shit on for having microtransactions but I never followed that too much since I didn't find the game to be fun anyway. Something caused me to boot this up this weekend though--not sure if it was boredom from my current games or me getting a bit into star wars a gain because my son is getting into it, but nevertheless I started having fun with it right away. The edition I got came with all the visuals unlocked so it doesn't look like currency has any value, but there's still rewards for leveling up to unlock new equipment and modifiers. The most memorable time I had in the few hours I played was when our team were pushing on a hangar, which I think was a recreation from the scene in the last jedi, and the battlefield is incredibly flat and open so there isn't much cover, so I was creeping along using the massive legs of an AT-AT (i think) as natural cover, all the while a massive fight is erupting. So this game isn't as shit as I remember; seems like they did a lot to improve it. If anyone has it, and was in a similar position I was about this game, it's worth checking out.

Last edited:

Codes 208

It is fun. It’s a night and day difference from now and the OG release. The only issue is that I still wished they’d remove the tiers for weapons/items because it still makes the game feel unbalanced when you’re new.

but assuming you storm through that and have decent cards yourself: the game is easily one of the better Dice games this gen. (Second only to BF1 imo and just a bit better than bf4)

Last edited:

TexMex

It's not bad. The quality of the actual game was lost in all the bad EA publicity. People just love shitting on EA, and rightly so in this case. Just a shame that the game itself got lost in the shuffle.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
I never cared about loot crates. This game is the most generic dull shooter I've ever played in my life. People acting like the game is good now just because they added more content make my head hurt.

Battlefront 2015 is 20x more fun..gameplay wise other than the flying it's better in every way.....I'm actually a much better player at swbf2 datheavy and I still like 2015 way more

lukilladog

The game is good but it has a few problems and they made some draconian decisions, like punishing you if you do not allow the game to go online by locking skins out, Disney heroes are overpowered as if you needed some motivation to use them, occasional freezes and stuttering, some visual bugs, launch of the game is not reliable (some times it is pretty fast, others it can take minutes -just use alt F4 and launch again-, probably because of Denuvo), bot teammates get stuck all the time in missions modes which can be frustrating since sometimes up to two of you heroes do not cooperate and take away the choice of picking them for the entire round, bots sometimes enter in super cheap AI mode and you can see all of them shooting at you while ignoring everyone else. It also sometimes launches in windowed mode, others in minimized mode, if you alt tab the game forgets what refresh rate you want it to use. etc, etc.

BTW You can play it without using the EGS software trash, utilize instead the EA desktop launcher or the old Origin build that is floating around which you need to get mods working (To avoid the Origin update check rename EAProxyInstaller.exe, OriginClientService.exe, OriginER.exe, OriginThinSetupInternal.exe, OriginWebHelperService.exe, UpdateTool.exe).

MiguelItUp

As someone that bought it day 1, it's come a LONG way since launch. Though I still think you have to grind way too much for weapons and attachments. There are also a ton of bugs I STILL experience that never got properly fixed.

I feel like it's better than the previous BF game across the board. However, that bar is low AF. I'm really hoping the next one is the best one yet across the board.

Last edited:
I love it because it's fun to kill noobs now haha.

But as a mostly infantry player only, sometimes it gets really annoying when you get killed by heroes too many times. Yet, there's a bunch of bad hero players rn so it's pretty funny and easy to kill atm. Heck, I keep seeing many of them just jumping in front of our gunfire and not using any abilities hahaha.

Also, PLAY THE OBJECTIVE FFS! My last match literally lasted for 2 HOURS because no one wanted to win apparently hahahahaha. Ended up around 250 kills by just sniping.... nothing else.

lefty1117

Gold Member
Best thing they can do is move sniper class to an advanced or hero class, limited number at a time in game, requiring battle points to buy during the game. Fuck snipers now and forever in all shooters, they should be limited use only. Thank you

Its a good game but some of the levels are just kinda not designed well for the game modes. Too many choke points. Also I thought how walker assault worked in BF 2015 where you have to hold a control point works better than actually having to shoot the walker/transport with a weapon to make it vulnerable.

Starfighter Assault is also pretty damn crazy good.

TheContact

The game is a generic uninspired fps like any other one, you must have low standards.

apparently i do; i have 1.8k hours in overwatch. i played a ton of cs from 1.3-1.6 (the last truly good fps i played) and a bit of GO, and this game isn't on the level as, say, bf3 or bad company 2, but it's a fun game, easily worth the free price, though I'd pay $20-30 for it tbh.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Battlefront 2 still offers tons of fun, there’s a little bit of Arcady feel to it, playing as a Jedi or Sith is guaranteed fun. This franchise needs a third game.

CamHostage

The story is so so so so so terribly bad that kills any fun for me.

I didn't think it was bad, just dry and dull, which is a shame because the Star Wars Battlefront II Inferno Squad book by Christie Golden was pretty good.

Codes 208

I never cared about loot crates. This game is the most generic dull shooter I've ever played in my life. People acting like the game is good now just because they added more content make my head hurt.

Battlefront 2015 is 20x more fun..gameplay wise other than the flying it's better in every way.....I'm actually a much better player at swbf2 datheavy and I still like 2015 way more
I mean, they got rid of the loot crate system altogether excluding bonus credits but everything from skills and weapons are all progression based now. It’s not really any different than BF1 in that regard or Dice’s other games.
The story is so so so so so terribly bad that kills any fun for me.
The story definitely sucks but tbf campaigns were NEVER dice’s strong suit. They’re a multiplayer developer first and foremost. The only big exception imo is bad company 1-2.

Last edited:

mcz117chief

It is fantastic. The singleplayer is super meh but everything else is fantastic. The game really went a long way since release.

Clarissa

Banned
The Multiplayer is soo good. Pity the matchmaking takes so long in the South East Asia region. There were several instances I queued for 40 minutes and still no game and I just uninstalled.

MiguelItUp

Game is not bad but there's not a lot to unlock in the game sadly.
Yeah and what is there doesn't have a good unlock flow IMO.

I've put HOURS into the game over the years and there are STILL weapons and attachments that I haven't unlocked. It's pretty stupid considering the amount of times I've played, lmao.

HotPocket69

Banned
I played it for the campaign because I don’t do MP and I had an itch to shoot baddies with Star Wars guns. The game certainly delivered on that front on top of looking fucking gorgeous. Yeah the story was dumb but who cares. Until Fallen Order, there hadn’t been a good SW narrative since KOTOR.

The dogfighting sequences were my fav parts though. SO GOOD.

Last edited:
Top Bottom