• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlestar Galactica: Deadlock |OT| Sometimes You Have to Roll a Hard Six

battlestar-galactica-deadlock-listing-thumb-01-ps4-us-30may17

Developer: Black Lab Games
Publisher: Slitherine Software UK Ltd.
Platform: PC, PS4
[Release Date:[/b] August 31, 2017, ~9AM EST/6AM PST.

Official Site|Announcement Trailer|Battle Trailer

Quick Summary
XCOM:EU in space, set in the 2003 Battlestar Galactica universe.

Plot
It is the fourth year of the First Cylon War. The Cylons and Colonials find themselves in a stalement, with Cylon offensives being beaten back by Colonial forces.

A suprise attack by the Cylons has wiped out Colonial Fleet High Command on Picon. Together with Rear-Admiral Lucinda Cain and the Daidalos mobile shipyard, you must take the fight to the Cylons, while keeping the newly formed united government of the Twelve Colonies in one piece.

Gameplay
Fight the Cylons in turn-based fleet battles, with full motion in three dimensions. Control numerous systems aboard each capital ship to maximize performance and deploy fighters to screen capital ships, attack enemy vessels, or defend capital ships against enemy fighters and missiles.

Control the Daidalos mobile shipyard from an XCOM like control center. Build ships with tylium and resource points earned in battle, promote officers and train them to boost fleet performance in battle, and manage the panic levels of the Twelve Colonies so the Quorum of Twelve will continue funding the Colonial Fleet.

Gameplay Modes and Features
-Campaign: Play through a brand new BSG story set early in the First Cylon War.
-Skirmish: Play against AI controlled fleets with a fleet of your own making.
-Multiplayer: Play against another human in 1v1 online matches.
-Battlestar Galactica style HUDs and interfaces.[1]
-Control fleets of 4-7 ships in combat.[2]
-Unlock blueprints for new ships, fighters, and munitions throughout the campaign.[2]
-Control individual fighter squadrons deployed from ships and stations.[3]
-Train officers in various specializations, such as Marine Commander, increasing your defenses against boarding actions.[3]
-21 ship designs approved by the showrunners of Battlestar Galactica, including the Jupiter class (Galactica), Viper Mk. I, Viper Mk. II, Raptor, classic Cylon Basestars, and classic Cylon Raiders.[3]
-No microtransactions.[4]
-Multiple campaign difficulty levels.[4]

Gameplay Demos
BATTLESTAR GALACTICA DEADLOCK #01 ATHENA Preview - BSG Fleet Command Let's Play by EnterElysium
Battlestar Galactica Deadlock - features looks at various strategy layer elements and skirmish mode set up.
What is... Battlestar Galactica Deadlock
4 Hour Launch Stream Marathon with key giveaway

The Fleets, presented by SpaceDock
Colonial Forces:

Cylon Forces:

Screencaps

PC Spec Requirements
MINIMUM:
Processor: 2.0GHz or higher
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Graphics: 1GB NVIDIA Geforce 460/ATI Radeon HD 5770 or better
DirectX: Version 11
Storage: 8739 MB available space
Sound Card: DirectX Compatible Sound Card
Additional Notes: Broadband Internet connection for multiplayer required for Multiplayer

Processor: 2.5GHz or higher
Memory: 8 GB RAM
Graphics: 2GB ATI Radeon HD 7970, 2GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 or better
DirectX: Version 11
Storage: 8739 MB available space
Sound Card: DirectX Compatible Sound Card
Additional Notes: Broadband Internet connection for multiplayer required for Multiplayer

TheMoon

+1 for the title ;)

Might check this out in a sale. Space strategy is still a bit of an x-factor for me but I love me some BSG and strategy stuff otherwise.

Might check this out in a sale. Space strategy is still a bit of an x-factor for me but I love me some BSG and strategy stuff otherwise.
Yeah, aside from this game and its mechanical prequel, Star Hammer, I don't think I've seen a space strategy game that actually has gameplay that I'd like. It's usually all RTS or 4x stuff, so this psuedo-XCOM approach is really appealing.

TheMoon

Yeah, aside from this game and its mechanical prequel, Star Hammer, I don't think I've seen a space strategy game that actually has gameplay that I'd like. It's usually all RTS or 4x stuff, so this psuedo-XCOM approach is really appealing.

I also happen to love me some XCOM so that makes this only more interesting to me. Shame we seem to be the only two people here :D

Hadn't heard of this game until just now. I actually do like other space strategy games (Homeworld is one of my all-time favorites and I enjoyed both Sins of a Solar Empire and Endless Space), so I'm curious to see if the SRPG/XCOM style of gameplay works here or not.

Price has been revealed - $40 or regional equivalent, which seems to be the new premium indie/AA price point (see Cold Waters).

Pretty solid price choice.

I love BSG, but I'm very apprehensive about this game. I was hoping that this was PC only, so i wouldn't feel the pressure to buy this on the PS4, but here we are.
Any news about the soundtrack? Does it have Bear McCreary's music?

TheMoon

I love BSG, but I'm very apprehensive about this game. I was hoping that this was PC only, so i wouldn't feel the pressure to buy this on the PS4, but here we are.
Any news about the soundtrack? Does it have Bear McCreary's music?

Going by the trailer and nothing else, it certainly has Bear McCreary-coverband music. Someone tried their best to evoke the style but they probably didn't get to use the actual score and especially not rehire Bear to do original stuff. They'd probably use that as a bullet point otherwise.

Really solid effort. Enjoying my time with it so far. Exactly what you'd want out of a BSG fleet combat game. Still the core Starhammer feel, but really well-implemented with the license.

Starhammer had really good writing and lore, just hope there was enough flexibility with the IP to let the writer/designer, Anthony Sweet, do his thing.

Game feels very complicated, as I don't really play RTS. Very cluttered, lots going on. Tips?

Lucky it's WEGO. I'd say it's just a question of acclimatisation. Keep abreast of each ship's subsystems, maximise the posture - boost for closing, switch out to increase offensive capacity against smaller vessels, defensive to cop missile barrages or get Vipers out to intercept inbound salvoes. Take a look at enemy vessel info to see where you can punch effectively.

Pepboy

I had no idea this existed or was even be released! I am tempted to order on the spot as I enjoy Xcom and loved the BSG series (mostly). I even remember trying the online browser game a bit.

So then I just wonder if its solid.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
I had no idea this game was being made until seeing this thread, so thanks for making it.

I've never played XCOM but I love BSG, so maybe I'll get this at some point when money is a bit less tight.

Completely forgot about this, but sadly I thought it was going to be a real-time strategy game.

I'm not great at strategy games in general, but I especially suck at ones like XCOM. THe only ones I can manage in are RPG ones like FF Tactics where I can grind my characters to obscene levels and steamroll through encounters.

Savitar

Finally something about the game, had been wanting to see some reactions to it. Steam has pretty positive reactions, was this based on that web/browser game some time ago? Or is this brand new.

I might pick it up once a sale happens.

Hope people aren't being too misled by 'XCOM meets BSG'. If you played Starhammer, Frozen Synapse or Concealed Intent, where all moves are plotted prior and then play out simultaneously in fifteen second blocks, you know what you're getting into.

Bluth54

I didn't realise this was an xcom type game. Frakkin' A.

The publisher of this game truly chose the best possible release date for this game, right when the XCom 2 expansion came out and Ubisoft put out their Mario X Rabbits XCom clone.

ehhhhhh

Looks okay at best. Pretty rough in the battle trailer, which isn't a good sign as I'd assume it was the best cuts they could get.

And feels like it's about 8 years late. Why *now* for a franchise that saw its last episode in 2009?

I don't get why XCOM is being mentioned. Doesn't play anything like that. I only did the first two missions, which were pretty tutorially. It's ok. The graphics and presentation aren't very impressive. I'm struggling with the UI a bit, plotting courses and orienting the ships is a bit of a hassle with the mouse. They haven't let me do jack shit in the between missions strategic view except click the buttons they demand so we'll see where it goes from there. I've been meaning to play more strategy stuff, and I'm a big BSG fan (obviously) so this was a bit of an impulse purchase.

It's a tidy tactical fleet game. Works well. I can understand if you were chasing Descent Freespace, but otherwise, for a tiny studio, it's pretty accomplished.

Well, I can't speak for how the strategy aspect is -- maybe it's fantastic -- but the Battle Trailer looks a bit dodgy. If you're going to make a cinematic battle mode, it should have more polish than what was shown, because for me that's the main draw, the BSG feel of the thing.

Well, I can't speak for how the strategy aspect is -- maybe it's fantastic -- but the Battle Trailer looks a bit dodgy. If you're going to make a cinematic battle mode, it should have more polish than what was shown, because for me that's the main draw, the BSG feel of the thing.

For sure. I agree, it's not a particularly tense trailer, not does it speak to the scale of the show. But, it's pretty faithful to selling the fleet combat. I've rolling the cinematic replay only once or twice in my time with the game thus far, and it's serviceable. The meat really is on the ship management. Deadlock looks pretty authentic when all the ships are blazing away, missiles are streaking all over and stuff is exploding.

It's not Homeworld-level wow, though.

cj_iwakura

I love the show, but I'm not sure about the gameplay... I'm hit and miss with games like this. When they're fun, they're great, but when they're not... woof. I hope it's more Sins of a Solar Empire and less Star Wars Rebellion. (I enjoy Rebellion, but I still have no idea what I'm doing in that game, SoaSR is at least comprehensible.)

I love the show, but I'm not sure about the gameplay... I'm hit and miss with games like this. When they're fun, they're great, but when they're not... woof. I hope it's more Sins of a Solar Empire and less Star Wars Rebellion. (I enjoy Rebellion, but I still have no idea what I'm doing in that game, SoaSR is at least comprehensible.)

You played Nexus: The Jupiter Incident? Kinda like that. Digging it all the more. Early game does feel like dousing spot fires with Cylon raiders popping up around the colonies, but when the fleet metagame and economy get going, it's cool.

Not seeing this on the PS4 store. Was it cancelled?

If it's like the console release of Starhammer, it'll take a while after the PC version.

There's going to be a tournament!
http://steamcommunity.com/games/544610/announcements/detail/1468594267547217647
Let's get down to business: RULES!
- You have time until the 26th of September to join the tournament. We will then randomly pick the players and publish the bracket the following day. The tournament will officially start with the first matches during the second half of that week.
- When the bracket comes out, the players of each pair will have to decide when to play their game and the game rules (which factions they will choose, how long should each turn last and max points available for their fleets). We will do our best to pair players with the same time zone, this way it will be easier for them to agree on date and time of the game.
- This will be a 16-players tournament. The first round will see these players fight in 8 1v1 battle. The winners will proceed to the quarter finals, in 4 1v1 battles. Then the semi-finals will see 2 1v1 battles, and the winners will fight in the finals to claim victory!
- If a player doesn't show at the agreed time of the game, his adversary will wait for 10 minutes. After that he/she will have to send a mail to our admin, then he/she wins the game. Before the game begins, both players will have to take a screenshot to prove that they are actually taking part in the game. At the end of the game, the winner will have to send a mail to our admin with a screenshot that proves their victory.
- Single elimination. You lose, you're out.
- The player that achieves victory will be rewarded with something special we can't talk about yet! The second place will also receive a consolation prize!
- Have fun!

You can join the tournament HERE![matrixgames.us7.list-manage1.com]

Top Bottom