• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlestar Galactica's Ronald D. Moore Admits: The Cylons did not have a plan.

BibiMaghoo

I just wish they hadn't retconned the show taking place in the future.

Did they? That was not my take on what happened. If you are talking about the ending, I took that as the future, future, if you get my drift. I never once took it as meaning it was all in the distant past. There is far too much contrary evidence to entertain otherwise.

Did they? That was not my take on what happened. If you are talking about the ending, I took that as the future, future, if you get my drift. I never once took it as meaning it was all in the distant past. There is far too much contrary evidence to entertain otherwise.
They found our Earth in the past and mated with early man. It is our past.

Harlock

This was already talked way back during the show runtime.

Galactica was great, but one weak thing was when they have to explain how the last 5 cylon showed. Basically was a guy in the bed talking the history.

In the other side, we have something like Westworld, where the writers did a script following a logic path. And because that a lot of people had guessed plot details.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I watch the whole series once a year.. I really hope they make a 4k verdion of it so badly!

The recent announcement of a strategy game signals to me that Universal still sees Battlestar's 2003-09 rendition as worth monetizing on some level, so I think it's likely. The only reason they'd never do it is if the feature film adaptation gains real momentum and execs worry over "brand confusion." (Which is almost always a terrible concern and I'd call it downright atrocious in this case because while BSG exited mainstream discussion almost as quickly as it ended, in space opera pop culture it's still the hottest new look this side of Mass Effect.)

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!

The final episode is intended to explicitly show that the series takes place thousands of years in the past of Earth Human history. I don't think there is any intended ambiguity there.

This got pretty apparent as the show went along

Man i loved it though. The drama and music was always dope stuff. Would go as far as saying best tv soundtrack for me. It really helped propel those adama father and son moments for example

If there was a plan and S4 wasnt crap...this would be GOAT instead it's a warning to do better writing or seek help and not just go with whatever you throw on paper.

JZA

Not really surprising, but definitely disappointing. I hate how this show had some of my favorite season finales of any of my favorite shows, but the ending was just strung out and incoherent.

Faiz

They found our Earth in the past and mated with early man. It is our past.

"All of this has happened before, and all of this will happen again."

Bazza

I'm not going to spoiler this, partly because it's speculation and partly because if you're in this thread you should probably have watched the whole thing.

The Lords of Kobol are the 'Angels' and the 13th Lord of Kobol is 'God'. We see a few of them throughout the show - Head Six and Not-Gaius, the Leoben Kara speaks to before she dies, the version of Elosha which Roslin speaks to during jumps. They're likely the leftovers of some previous cycle, from a group which managed to take resurrection technology to its logical conclusion - to create an afterlife or some kind of immortality.

Something happened on Kobol which made the 13th tribe (Cylons) leave for Earth, the other 12 tribes (humans) to leave and form the colonies, and the Lords of Kobol to abandon them all. In all likelihood it was a war between humans and Cylons, and something happened which made resurrection there impossible. It's mentioned that the Cylons which made their way to Earth were trying to reinvent resurrection technology, and it's mentioned that anyone who dies on Kobol is really, really dead. As in no afterlife for them.

The Angels follow the humans and Cylons around in the series, sometimes trying to nudge them in the right direction, sometimes outright influencing events to try and save what's worth saving of both races. Kara becomes one of them when she dies, likely a replacement of Athena, who God watched throw herself from a cliff and die in despair at the departure of the 13 tribes, or Aurora, whose idol she hands to Adama before she dies (a figurehead on the ship, leading the way much as Kara would later do for the fleet).

Or, you know, BIBLE IN MY SCIFI RAGE RAGE RAGE

Huh adds a little more to my thoughts, I always assumed the Six, Baltar and the others you mentioned were angels but never linked them to the gods of Kobol so when Kara came back as an angel it never occurred to me Kara was a probably replacement for Athena, just assumed they were nameless angels taking familiar forms.

Not religious in any way but strangely I really enjoy religion in my fiction.

Like someone in a post above me the only episode I ever skip is Black Market it's just terrible. It always seemed to me that it was missing an episode or two before it.

Altazor

One minor thing about the series finale that I didn't like (compared to theological/philosophical/timeline discussion, I mean) was that I wish the series had ended with Adama's monologue to Laura. It was a beautiful moment that I felt was ruined by shoehorning the "see? IT ALL HAPPENED IN OUR PAST! GOTCHA!" flashforward with HeadSix and HeadBaltar.

"You should see the light that we get here. When the sun comes from behind the mountains, it's almost heavenly. It reminds me of you."

"All of this has happened before, and all of this will happen again."
I am of the theory that Kobol was like New Earth. Independently evolved humans already existing when a bunch of other humans show up, only those new arrivals didn't give up their tech and became the Gods of Kobol instead. The Colonials giving up their tech and merging with Cylons ended the Cycle.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Seriously though what happened with that black market episode

who thought anyone would care about lee's relationship with a hooker's daughter that we never saw before

BSG is in my top 5 favorite shows of all time. I really hope we get a 4k release so I can annoyingly force my girlfriend to watch it.

Seriously though what happened with that black market episode

who thought anyone would care about lee's relationship with a hooker's daughter that we never saw before
Lmao. Haven't rewatched for years, and I still remember this piece of shit episode. It also did one of my least favrotie things ever, and started the episode at the end, then flashed back to beginning to find out "how did we get here?!" Who gave a shit.

Altazor

it's like that LOST episode about Jack's tattoos - mostly pointless and featuring characters that had never appeared before and would never appear again.

Lanf

I'm fine with this, BSG is probably my favorite tv show of all time. Wasn't perfect though, could have done without the religious crap in the end, but the ending is beautiful regardless.

The "Adama maneuver" might be the best piece of space scifi ever.

The miniseries + season 1 is beyond god tier writing, not a single bad ep. S2 and 3 are just god tier.

Best soundtrack ever, Bear McCreary's magnum opus.

Anoregon

it's like that LOST episode about Jack's tattoos - mostly pointless and featuring characters that had never appeared before and would never appear again.

haha yeah. WHITE BOY GETS FORBIDDEN THAI TATTOO! DEEP DRAMA!

Huh adds a little more to my thoughts, I always assumed the Six, Baltar and the others you mentioned were angels but never linked them to the gods of Kobol so when Kara came back as an angel it never occurred to me Kara was a probably replacement for Athena, just assumed they were nameless angels taking familiar forms.

Not religious in any way but strangely I really enjoy religion in my fiction.

Like someone in a post above me the only episode I ever skip is Black Market it's just terrible. It always seemed to me that it was missing an episode or two before it.

Next time you rewatch it (or next time anyone rewatches it for that matter), keep that speculation in mind. There are so many 'oooooooh yeah that makes sense' moments.

I absolutely adored the ending. The second half of season 3 all the way to the end was just one giant ride.

Season 3 ending with the Final Five, Kara, the Music, and zooming out to Earth only to find at midseason 4 that Earth was Cylon and destroyed, then to find out at the end of season 4 that Earth wasn't the Earth.

I just love it.

Yea Idk I thought it was great. Then again I also understood and enjoyed the final season of Lost so maybe I'm nuts.

BFIB

I'm not going to spoiler this, partly because it's speculation and partly because if you're in this thread you should probably have watched the whole thing.

The Lords of Kobol are the 'Angels' and the 13th Lord of Kobol is 'God'. We see a few of them throughout the show - Head Six and Not-Gaius, the Leoben Kara speaks to before she dies, the version of Elosha which Roslin speaks to during jumps. They're likely the leftovers of some previous cycle, from a group which managed to take resurrection technology to its logical conclusion - to create an afterlife or some kind of immortality.

Something happened on Kobol which made the 13th tribe (Cylons) leave for Earth, the other 12 tribes (humans) to leave and form the colonies, and the Lords of Kobol to abandon them all. In all likelihood it was a war between humans and Cylons, and something happened which made resurrection there impossible. It's mentioned that the Cylons which made their way to Earth were trying to reinvent resurrection technology, and it's mentioned that anyone who dies on Kobol is really, really dead. As in no afterlife for them.

The Angels follow the humans and Cylons around in the series, sometimes trying to nudge them in the right direction, sometimes outright influencing events to try and save what's worth saving of both races. Kara becomes one of them when she dies, likely a replacement of Athena, who God watched throw herself from a cliff and die in despair at the departure of the 13 tribes, or Aurora, whose idol she hands to Adama before she dies (a figurehead on the ship, leading the way much as Kara would later do for the fleet).

Or, you know, BIBLE IN MY SCIFI RAGE RAGE RAGE

BSG is my favorite show of all time. There's a reason for it, I know a lot of people hated that the writers really didn't have a plan themselves, and that in retrospect, a lot of what was made up was on the fly during production meetings, writer room sessions, etc.

I'm OK with the ending we got, because it does leave a lot open to interpretation, like this post. Years later, it is still being debated, so obviously there wasn't a "plan", even by the writers, but they clearly did something right because it still gets talked about to this day.

So say we all.

gabbo

Hera is shown to be Mitochondrial Eve in the magazine Ron D. Moore is reading on the street corner at the end of the episode as Head Six and Head Baltar read over his shoulder and then walk down the street talking.

BSG is my favorite show of all time. There's a reason for it, I know a lot of people hated that the writers really didn't have a plan themselves, and that in retrospect, a lot of what was made up was on the fly during production meetings, writer room sessions, etc.

I'm OK with the ending we got, because it does leave a lot open to interpretation, like this post. Years later, it is still being debated, so obviously there wasn't a "plan", even by the writers, but they clearly did something right because it still gets talked about to this day.

So say we all.

So say we all.

There are so many moments that stick out when I think back on the show. Aside from the many battles (which hold up remarkably well), just off the top of my head there's Gaius telling Six "I know about farming" (what a fantastic character arc), broken Saul saluting Adama after being rescued from New Caprica ("Not all of them" damn near broke my heart), Roslin's last moments, Dee's death. The show was never afraid to break characters, to take them to places they'd never fully come back from. You can see the same thing in the ship itself - by the third season the Galactica's covered in scars from her many battles, by the fourth season she's falling apart. There are things you can't come back from and the show never shied away from that.

gabbo

So say we all.

There are so many moments that stick out when I think back on the show. Aside from the many battles (which hold up remarkably well), just off the top of my head there's Gaius telling Six "I know about farming" (what a fantastic character arc), broken Saul saluting Adama after being rescued from New Caprica ("Not all of them" damn near broke my heart), Roslin's last moments, Dee's death. The show was never afraid to break characters, to take them to places they'd never fully come back from. You can see the same thing in the ship itself - by the third season the Galactica's covered in scars from her many battles, by the fourth season she's falling apart. There are things you can't come back from and the show never shied away from that.

As I hated the Sam-Kara-Lee triangle, I always felt that Dee's death had less impact than it should have.

Top Bottom