• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta 2 Review Thread - Metacritic: one billion-hit combo, buy it kids

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm really interested to see how many gaming websites will give GOTY to a Nintendo game.

I don't see it happening in today's day and age unfortunately.

AdanVC

First since 2010!

WHAT!!!? Okay now this is interesting. Guys, this 10 from Gamespot is the first one in 4 years since Super Mario Galaxy 2 -another Nintendo exclusive- This is a day to remember in gaming, haha. woaah

LiK

The day they announce this i will scream like a freakin lunatic.

MGR was awesome, there needs to be a sequel. Let them use the Fox-Engine Kojima and then oh my...

Also, wasn't Metal Gear Rising one of Platinums best games sales wise?

yup, MGR sold really well. the PC in particular was a top seller on Steam.

Gamespot - 10

Holy shit these perfect scores =D

"Gamespot's 8th 10/10, and the first one in 4 years since Mario Galaxy 2.

Whoa!"

Is this true?

I mean, is this really really true?

If so then SWEET MOTHER OF JESUS!!
If this game is better than the first game, then holy shit.
Sadly it will take me a few weeks before I play Bayo2 because I wanna replay Bayo1 on Wii U before getting into Bayo2.

Canon

Banned
This is going to end up with a below 90 metascore because of brain dead reviews like Polygons. Yes, the scores do matter, don't try and ruin a game's success because of your stupid irrelevant opinions that don't relate to the game's quality at all. Saddens me.

Polygon has always struck me as being super slanted toward MS white guys who really hate anything that isn't MS or not super westernized or made in the west.

Its not specifically because of this game, but just a feeling i've had for a while in regards to how they deal with things

After the microsoft funding furore and the simcity review debacle polygon went on my ignore list pretty early in its life.

Same with gamespot actually. I mean how can any of their reviews be trusted after kane & lynch?

weekev

Banned
I'm really interested to see how many gaming websites will give GOTY to a Nintendo game.

Are they not kind of setting themselves up though. Take Gamespot for example, no other game has had a 10 this year, so if the give GOTY to something else are they not kind of invalidating their review?

Acid08

Banned
This is going to end up with a below 90 metascore because of brain dead reviews like Polygons. Yes, the scores do matter, don't try and ruin a game's success because of your stupid irrelevant opinions that don't relate to the game's quality at all. Saddens me.

Wow. I think you have a fundamental misunderstanding of what critique actually is.

Razma1

So happy! Hopefully the time gap between the reviews and release helps drive excitement and sales. This game is going to be an experience.

MGR was awesome, there needs to be a sequel. Let them use the Fox-Engine Kojima and then oh my...

They'll probably just stick to their standard engine since that's what they're comfortable with. I want to see it happen since Rising was basically them working at breakneck speed to get the game out at a specific time. So it'd be great to see what they can do with a regular development schedule.

Also, wasn't Metal Gear Rising one of Platinums best games sales wise?

It's their best selling game. It's actually the second best selling character action game ever in Japan. Only trailing the original DMC.

2679437-7607391247-tumbl.gif

So reviewers should give good scores based on things outside of the actual content in the game? Oh boy.

If developers are that worried about Metacritic averages, they should unionize and organize so their pay isn't based on the aesthetic opinions of people who aren't their managers.

Polygon seems like they want to be a premiere outlet for criticism, by sacrificing a game's score to make a point about a larger issue. If Bayonetta 2 was released in a hypothetically perfect world, they'd likely give it a 9 or 10. But since representation is still an issue, and they feel this game is an offender - it must be the sacrificial lamb for greater progress.

It's a theory that may be appealing to some types, but doesn't do much in the way of consumer advocacy.

Who said game reviews have to be in the realm of consumer advocacy? Chill out. It's one game looking deeper into the game beyond "OMG awesome." The game will still get it's precious high Metacritic scores.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
yup, MGR sold really well. the PC in particular was a top seller on Steam.

Sequel pretty much confirmed. I remember a twitter post where Kojima had dinner with Kamiya and the boss from PG.

It needs to happen!

Congrats to Platinum on another winner! I won't be able to play it until Thanksgiving, but I'm buying it day one to show my support. Also thanks to Nintendo, since this wouldn't be possible without them either.

After the microsoft funding furore and the simcity review debacle polygon went on my ignore list pretty early in its life.

Same with gamespot actually. I mean how can any of their reviews be trusted after kane & lynch?

You mean something that happened almost a decade under entirely different management where most of the people involved don't even work there anymore? I mean, Jeff Gerstmann, ya' know, the actual guy at the center of the whole scandal actually explained things fairly well when Giantbomb got bought by CBSi. Long story short, dumb executives not used to a wall between editorial and advertising acted dumb. Those executives aren't around anymore.

Are they not kind of setting themselves up though. Take Gamespot for example, no other game has had a 10 this year, so if the give GOTY to something else are they not kind of invalidating their review?

A review is the opinion of a single writer, the GOTY is considered a site-wide award. One writer at Gamespot could love the game, but if the rest of the staff doesn't care for it - they're not giving it anything. But the score will make it an instant contender in any conversations.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

Considering how dry the year has been for mutliplats and the other consoles, i'm actually expecting it really.

AniHawk

game of the year really doesn't mean what was the best game of the year. it's a representation of the game industry. at least, that's what it's become. and generally speaking, it's whatever game can mimic film the best in terms of how it engages its audience. story triumphs all, and if one game has presentation elements that supersede its technical ones, it'll be the presentation that wins out. it's how low-quality games like telltale's the walking dead wins game of the year awards from multiple locations. it's why mass effect 2 was basically the default winner in a year of super mario galaxy 2, bayonetta, vanquish, and sin & punishment 2.

not to mention that there's an increased sensitivity towards the depiction and treatment of women in games. bayonetta 2 would be a terrible poster child for the gaming industry. especially this year.

Polygon seems like they want to be a premiere outlet for criticism, by sacrificing a game's score to make a point about a larger issue. If Bayonetta 2 was released in a hypothetically perfect world, they'd likely give it a 9 or 10. But since representation is still an issue, and they feel this game is an offender - it must be the sacrificial lamb for greater progress.

It's a theory that may be appealing to some types, but doesn't do much in the way of consumer advocacy.
This was my first thought when I saw the score and line from the review. A ridiculously harsh mark down in a desperate attempt to be seen 'saying something'.

Ironically, Bayonetta is probably one of the more well realised female protagonists is games.

I hope you're right, but I listen to a lot of gaming podcasts from the big sites and when it comes to GOTY discussions they either gloss over Nintendo games or snigger while they discuss them usually.

I'd love it if they've finally grown up.

Banned
Bayonetta 2 |OT| Dethroning Super Mario 3D World
Bayonetta 2 |OT| Winter is Coming, Mario
Bayonetta 2 |OT| Assassin of Plumbers

Balb

game of the year really doesn't mean what was the best game of the year. it's a representation of the game industry. at least, that's what it's become. and generally speaking, it's whatever game can mimic film the best in terms of how it engages its audience. story triumphs all, and if one game has presentation elements that supersede its technical ones, it'll be the presentation that wins out. it's how low-quality games like telltale's the walking dead wins game of the year awards from multiple locations. it's why mass effect 2 was basically the default winner in a year of super mario galaxy 2, bayonetta, vanquish, and sin & punishment 2.

not to mention that there's an increased sensitivity towards the depiction and treatment of women in games. bayonetta 2 would be a terrible poster child for the gaming industry. especially this year.

I cringe looking back to a couple years ago when TWD won many GOTY awards. Talk about a flash in the pan.

Your point is well made though - Bayonetta doesn't really fit most sites' criteria for GOTY.

It has the makings of a frontrunner. Don't forget that GameSpot picked A Link Between Worlds last year.

I doubt Bayonetta will have the universal appeal of ALBW. This 10 is just a case of the reviewer and the game matching perfectly. That said at least this means the game will be included in the discussions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom