• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta 2, Star Fox Zero & Mario Kart 8 running at 60fps with Cemu's latest version

Berordn

That's some impressive progress in a short span of time. Guess that's the benefit of legacy architectures.

Hopefully Wii U homebrew matures a little faster to make getting game images easier.

Kuro

You need a Wii U to use CEMU with your dumped ROMs/ISOs.
Otherwise it's piracy.

Does it count as piracy if they stop producing Wii U and eventually stores stop selling them and you're stuck in the used market. I have a Wii U myself but I do wonder about that. I know plenty of people play SNES roms on emulators without owning the hardware.

Ridley327

I guess there's always the chance someone implements a 60fps mode for the game like the one Super Mario Sunshine got.

Probably not though. Still not sure how they managed to do that in SMS with just an action replay code.

SMS was running at 60 fps at the E3 prior to its release, but they had to cap the final game because some areas weren't coming close to hitting the target. Even then, the game still had some pretty nasty drops at times.

Miker

It's not. Pretty much none of the modern emulators are that accurate. For legacy systems you have those options, but afaik all emulators of all 3D systems don't aim for that level of accuracy.

I meant relatively. There's a difference between Dolphin's pushes for accuracy (games actually sometimes get slower) and PCSX2 where it's a bunch of hacks held together with duct tape.

Nanashrew

Banned
SMS was running at 60 fps at the E3 prior to its release, but they had to cap the final game because some areas weren't coming close to hitting the target. Even then, the game still had some pretty nasty drops at times.

Yeah, I remember searching around for this and even came across this ancient thread on google http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26157

It's nice that there's an actual 60fps hack to play it how Nintendo originally wanted it to be but could reach it. It likely had to do with the water. Early footage of Sunshine had some pretty meh looking water compared to the end product. I still hope that a remake happens one day and they make it 60fps.

--

Also amazing how fast CEMU is coming along. My computer isn't capable of running it but I would certainly love to try the emu out one day.

BuggyMike

I've found it so weird how Nintendo has such an archaic approach to people posting youtube videos of their games, or creations of free fan versions of their properties, but they haven't really done much against this, which could potentially take customers away from the Switch. I mean imagine Botw gets running on this thing in the first month. Not good for Nintendo. Mario Kart is already available on this at 4K.

Ridley327

Yeah, I remember searching around for this and even came across this ancient thread on google http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26157

It's nice that there's an actual 60fps hack to play it how Nintendo originally wanted it to be but could reach it. It likely had to do with the water. Early footage of Sunshine had some pretty meh looking water compared to the end product. I still hope that a remake happens one day and they make it 60fps.

--

Also amazing how fast CEMU is coming along. My computer isn't capable of running it but I would certainly love to try the emu out one day.

All of the most extreme drops in the final game were water-related, so I don't doubt that for a second. Given their dedication to consistent performance, I think they wound up making the right move for the final game, though I can't deny that I would have loved to have gone through the FLUDD-less levels at 60 fps.

Ridley327

I've found it so weird how Nintendo has such an archaic approach to people posting youtube videos of their games, or creations of free fan versions of their properties, but they haven't really done much against this, which could potentially take customers away from the Switch. I mean imagine Botw gets running on this thing in the first month. Not good for Nintendo. Mario Kart is already available on this at 4K.

At least Mario Kart 8 Deluxe offers up incentive with the new battle mode and the new characters. Zelda will be interesting, though it's important to remember just how small the emulation crowd is, even with the modest requirements that Cemu has.

I do think it's interesting how far the Wii U emulator has come in a comparative time frame, quickly searching GAF it seem so like the PS3 And Xbox emulator projects had a year head start but aren't anywhere near as far along as Wii U seems to be.

It would be great to see a breakdown of the reasons for it, but I'm gonna assume it's a mix of technical complexity, a patron backing allowing for dedicated time to the project ...and maybe demand? Idk. Would be great to see the reasons

Does it count as piracy if they stop producing Wii U and eventually stores stop selling them and you're stuck in the used market. I have a Wii U myself but I do wonder about that. I know plenty of people play SNES roms on emulators without owning the hardware.

You just need a purchased copy of the game. I'm not sure hardware piracy even exists.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned

The only people that are going to be able to play games in CEMU properly are people with really high-end hardware...these are generally the kind of people that wouldn't be caught dead buying a console, much less a console produced by Nintendo. I doubt there would be any lost sales because of it.

KHlover

Banned
What was performance like on the WiiU?

That's the only game that'd make me buy a WiiU system (and maybe Wind Waker).

Unlocked and up to 60fps, but usually it didn't hit that, especially not in fights. Pretty sure DF covered it at release, but I'm too lazy too search for that right now.

The only people that are going to be able to play games in CEMU properly are people with really high-end hardware...these are generally the kind of people that wouldn't be caught dead buying a console, much less a console produced by Nintendo. I doubt there would be any lost sales because of it.

I'll take that as a personal insult :p

jediyoshi

Here's SM3DW and MK8 in 4k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFXUiEX3XAQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xqNJ8Jyi4k

It's being played with an 8 year old CPU and a gtx 970 (atm the most common GPU surveyed on Steam).

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
The only people that are going to be able to play games in CEMU properly are people with really high-end hardware...

That's not true. CEMU (as any emulation) pushes the CPU more than anything, so if you have a decent CPU and an average GPU you will be OK.

these are generally the kind of people that wouldn't be caught dead buying a console, much less a console produced by Nintendo. I doubt there would be any lost sales because of it.

Oh, you live in a world in which people buy just one gaming device? How is the grass there, still green?

A lot of people on this forum have actually a Wii U and a PC for example. Me included. You always see threads about what console to buy along the PC. And so on. So pay more attention.

Really distracting due to how much it fluctuated.

Shit, son.

Actually got that as a gift to my brother in law a year ago I think. He hasn't played it yet as far as I know.

Well... I'll probably play this game on a computer at some point in the (far) future.
Still curious to see how easy it'll be to find another copy of the game here.

mjp2417

Banned

This is almost certainly not the case. Neither CEMU nor Dolphin are particularly plug and play. The ones willing to jump through hoops to get everything set up properly to play Nintendo games at high resolutions are almost certainly people who really care about Nintendo games. Otherwise, why the fuck would you bother?

kingbean

Bayo 2 ran very poorly on my i5 4690k 4.4ghz. Got a constant flicker and even when it showed 50-60fps it felt super jittery.

I loved Bayo 1 but I couldn't even finish 2 with how how it ran and looked on the Wii U.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Bayo 2 ran very poorly on my i5 4690k 4.4ghz. Got a constant flicker and even when it showed 50-60fps it felt super jittery.

I loved Bayo 1 but I couldn't even finish 2 with how how it ran and looked on the Wii U.

This is a new version of CEMU, as it says in the OP. Or are you talking about the new version?

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
This is almost certainly not the case. Neither CEMU nor Dolphin are particularly plug and play. The ones willing to jump through hoops to get everything set up properly to play Nintendo games at high resolutions are almost certainly people who really care about Nintendo games. Otherwise, why the fuck would you bother?

Of course every PC gamer wants to play Nintendo games, who doesn't? But the PC gamers I see online are generally the folks that refer to consoles as "potatoes" for some reason.

kingbean

This is a new version of CEMU, as it says in the OP. Or are you talking about the new version?

Ah sorry. I was referring to 1.7b.

I'll check out 1.7.1 at some point when its public.

The point of my post was me being hopeful that it will fix the issues I was having. :D

jediyoshi

Is this actually true? The 60 fps footage in the OP looked comparable to the Wii U version, but it's been a while since I've played it.

kxLZB5r.jpg

That said the Bayo2 video isn't 60fps. Bayo1 can hit 60fps, but it has plenty more graphical issues.

Hmm. Will wait a while before giving this a go with my i7 6700/GTX 1060 6GB/16GB ram. They've come really far though. Ended up selling my Wii U.

I never owned a WiiU, but would like to play some of the games. Can I buy a legal copy and dump the ISO that way like on PCSX2?

Last I checked, my ancient 2500K wasn't cutting it for 1080p at a stable framerate, but it's good to know that a future with the best possible version of these games exists.

Shit, son.

Actually got that as a gift to my brother in law a year ago I think. He hasn't played it yet as far as I know.

Well... I'll probably play this game on a computer at some point in the (far) future.
Still curious to see how easy it'll be to find another copy of the game here.
I used to see it all the time in Fnac bargain bins if that's any indication.

BuggyMike

Nah I think PC gamers would absolutely spend loot on a Nintendo system out of the 3 as their 1st party offer something drastically different from what they can get on PC/PS4X1. If Nintendo make remasters of Wii U games, and those games are already available on PC, it reduces the value proposition of the platform.

Phil Fish

Banned
Holy shit you have to pay for that perfromance? AND with that shit tier audio quality? They can fuck right off with that.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
You need a Wii U to use CEMU with your dumped ROMs/ISOs.
Otherwise it's piracy.
You don't need a console once you rip all your games.

Holy shit you have to pay for that perfromance? AND with that shit tier audio quality? They can fuck right off with that.
I'm not sure if you're being serious, but either way, next week it will be released for free. The emulator is an absolute miracle btw, lots of games run at 60FPS 1440/1600p even on modest hardware.

Even on 1.7.1 Bayonetta 2 doesn't run close to 60fps on my rig (GTX 970, i5-4670k@4ghz, 8GB RAM) but the performance definitely improved.

Top Bottom