• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta 2, Star Fox Zero & Mario Kart 8 running at 60fps with Cemu's latest version

I'm with you, but emulation has its place too. It's nothing to poo-poo on.

Emulation certainly has its place, but I was always a bit uncomfortable with a project that emulates current hardware being sold in stores. We could argue all day and night about the impact of its existence, but the fact remains that it allowed PC gamers to download some torrents and play current Wii U titles (to varying degrees) on their PC instead of buying in to the Nintendo ecosystem. Even if people purchased games legally, there's still reasons Nintendo would want and benefit from people owning the hardware.

Granted, this is mostly moot now that Wii U production has officially ended, and it will probably be hard to emulate the Switch fully considering the motion controls.

jose1

Cemu is amazing. On 1.7, MK8 and Super Mario 3d world both run at perfect 4k 60fps on my 4690k (not OCed) and 970 (after the shaders get cached). I can't wait until the compatibility improves!

AHA-Lambda

Ok as someone who knows nothing about this:

How does one rip WiiU discs on to a PC?
And regarding Bayonetta 2, how well does it run/what problems does it have?

Edit: actually, is there is a list for how well games run?
Seems Bayo 2 has audio problems?
There are a couple I'd like to check out but Bayo 2 would be the main one for me.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Ok as someone who knows nothing about this:

How does one rip WiiU discs on to a PC?
And regarding Bayonetta 2, how well does it run/what problems does it have?

Edit: actually, is there is a list for how well games run?
Seems Bayo 2 has audio problems?
There are a couple I'd like to check out but Bayo 2 would be too for me.

Well Bayo 2 also runs at like 1.5 game speed as well unless it was fixed in this build.

Emulation certainly has its place, but I was always a bit uncomfortable with a project that emulates current hardware being sold in stores. We could argue all day and night about the impact of its existence, but the fact remains that it allowed PC gamers to download some torrents and play current Wii U titles (to varying degrees) on their PC instead of buying in to the Nintendo ecosystem. Even if people purchased games legally, there's still reasons Nintendo would want and benefit from people owning the hardware.

Granted, this is mostly moot now that Wii U production has officially ended, and it will probably be hard to emulate the Switch fully considering the motion controls.

AFAIK you can use your actual game discs. And as for emulating current hardware, why draw the line there? Wouldn't software be more relevant?

Arkage

Banned
Can someone explain to me how it's apparently super easy to emulate Wii/WiiU, but next to nothing for PS3 or Xbox360? I don't get how Nintendo's consoles always have the best emulators. I mean 60fps gameplay for WiiU games with no graphical hickups seems crazy to me.

BHK3

Banned
Can someone explain to me how it's apparently super easy to emulate Wii/WiiU, but next to nothing for PS3 or Xbox360? I don't get how Nintendo's consoles always have the best emulators. I mean 60fps gameplay for WiiU games with no graphical hickups seems crazy to me.
360 I wouldn't know, ps3 though you have to emulate the cell processor, good luck with that.

Also Cemu has a patreon where they receive thousands of dollars a month to work, so they have incentive to better the emulator. If ps3 or 360 had the same support we would see strides there too. People complain about closed source and that open source is better but I never see anything noteworthy come from emulators. Doesn't the N64 still not have a decent emulator or did Project 64 get better?

No, to legitimately play WiiU games in an emulator you need to own a WiiU and the respective title.

You know what?

You are right! You can't use Wii U discs. You can, however, rip your existing discs.

If you wanna talk about legalities, go whine somewhere else please.

What kind of CPU do you actually need for this? Something more specific than "good" or "decent" would be helpful.

The real answer is the better the CPU the better your performance. The secondary answer would be, it depends on the game. XCX for instance you'll see people giving you gameplay of the starter area. My ivy bridge i7 gets 30 fps there all day. However step into town and you can cut that in half. 15 in most areas of NLA with some areas going into the 20's. I'm overclocked to 5ghz. So the reason why the answers are vague is there isn't a short and fast answer that is true. You could have a i7 7700k and you might blast any of the Mario games(so do I) and you may still chug on XCX. It's not comprehensive enough yet to give a solid answer.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Make sure you're using Timer -> Host based timer. Multiple games had game speed issues and they were all fixed around the same time.

Alright, that seems to have fixed it thanks! Framerate has taken a dip but I imagine the performance enhancement of this build will even that out.

Emulation certainly has its place, but I was always a bit uncomfortable with a project that emulates current hardware being sold in stores. We could argue all day and night about the impact of its existence, but the fact remains that it allowed PC gamers to download some torrents and play current Wii U titles (to varying degrees) on their PC instead of buying in to the Nintendo ecosystem. Even if people purchased games legally, there's still reasons Nintendo would want and benefit from people owning the hardware. Granted, this is mostly moot now that Wii U production has officially ended, and it will probably be hard to emulate the Switch fully considering the motion controls.

I've found it so weird how Nintendo has such an archaic approach to people posting youtube videos of their games, or creations of free fan versions of their properties, but they haven't really done much against this, which could potentially take customers away from the Switch. I mean imagine Botw gets running on this thing in the first month. Not good for Nintendo. Mario Kart is already available on this at 4K.

...You are right! You can't use Wii U discs. You can, however, rip your existing discs. If you wanna talk about legalities, go whine somewhere else please.

It’s good to see some folks in this thread have given this some thought. I’ll go ahead and chime in to say that if the devs were to release a build of Cemu (as well as functional, game-specific ‘graphics pack’ enhancements) for Breath of the Wild within close proximity to the launch of the Switch, that decision would quite clearly be more ethically dubious than the typical case, with respect to emulation development in general. From an ethical point of view, the devs could improve their position by voluntarily holding back for a while on releasing Zelda-specific stuff, but it’s not clear if they’ve given any thought to the ethical issues involved (but then again I haven’t been following closely, perhaps they have indeed given these matters some thought).

No one is really mentioning how you get a WiiU like controller going with this.

Can you tether a real WiiU controller to work with the emulator?

Really exciting to see this progress, regardless.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Damn, Cemu is gonna be the definitive Breath of the Wild platform lol

The mandatory installation may throw a spanner into the works. The only other such game is Watch Dogs, which currently doesn't work at all.

marmoka

Banned
Cutscenes in Bayonetta 2 are stuck in 30fps. Imagine Cemu making them work in 60fps...

Once again, congratulations to the Cemu team for this great work.

Holy shit you have to pay for that perfromance? AND with that shit tier audio quality? They can fuck right off with that.

image.php

sonto340

Of a game uses the touchscreen you can click on the screen.

Most games worth playing on the Wii U don't require the Gamepad to finish.

opricnik

Banned

People are playing with Xbox 360 controller i didnt see anyone doing with Wii U gamepad.

If anyone touch heavy you can play with xbox + mouse

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder how long it'll be until the Switch is emulated.

I've wondered that as well. Emulation is tough, but it's not a super powerful console, and using an Nvidea GPU might make it easier to emulate since Nvidia gpus are most prevalent among PC gamers. No idea if that's true or not though, would just seem to make intuitive sense that emulating a GPU that's more similar to what the emulator is running on would be easier than emulating a console that had a completely proprietary GPU.

hoserx

Anyone know if this holds true for the port of the original Bayonetta? I've been wanting to play it properly but about 5 minutes into booting it up on PS3 and I remembered why I stopped the first time.

It runs pretty well on WiiU. That was the only place I played it though. Seemed to hold 60 most of the time.

Peltz

Hey man, I agree with you in some respects. But on the other hand, your stance is sort of fighting against natural progress. We should be celebrating the engineering feat that the CEMU authors are able to pull off rather than condemning them for investing their time in a project that ultimately has no financial upside.

I would never play Wii U games on anything other than a Wii U. That's just my preference. But piracy can happen on native hardware too. The presence of an emulator really isn't unethical in the grand argument.

Moreover, if, for example, Neo Geo emulators never came out back in the day (even while it was still getting regular releases), I never would have been able to discover many great games coming to arcades at the same time. They simply were not available to play and I had no way of obtaining Neo Geo hardware back then. It was literally not sold at retail where I lived and the only way to obtain it was through insane markups and preowned.

So, I never could have become a fan of SNK had I not pirated their software when I was a kid. Now, I support their efforts by buying their re-releases (even though many of them run poorly). And they have a devoted fan out of me for life.

Even though you may not want to admit this, piracy can create future paying customers.

rekameohs

Banned
Since N64 emulators have been generally crap since forever, would Cemu + Nintendo's own N64 emulator be a better alternative.?

dogen

I meant relatively. There's a difference between Dolphin's pushes for accuracy (games actually sometimes get slower) and PCSX2 where it's a bunch of hacks held together with duct tape.

PCSX2 has the handicap of a much more foreign and complex architecture to emulate.

I think people need to give it a bit of a break sometimes lol.

Cerium

Honestly if I were Nintendo I would just cancel the WiiU version of Zelda.

The vast majority of people are not going to be "dumping disks" to play this on PC.

opricnik

Banned

The vast majority of people are not going to be "dumping disks" to play this on PC.

Great thing you are not Nintendo then.
What a stupid thought , cancelling a game and giving middle figgers 13M people bought Wii U.

Right right.

This is a brilliant idea, telling 14 million people who are actual customers that bought a Wii U to fuck off so they can give the finger to like 1,000 people who actually have used Cemu.

The hysteria that goes on about piracy is both hilarious and mind-boggling sometimes.

The only people that are going to be able to play games in CEMU properly are people with really high-end hardware...these are generally the kind of people that wouldn't be caught dead buying a console, much less a console produced by Nintendo. I doubt there would be any lost sales because of it.

If I had a powerful PC I'd rather buy a Nintendo console, its the only combination with minimum overlap of library.

Top Bottom