• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta 2 - WiiU (Director: Yusuke Hashimoto, Pub: Nintendo, Supervision:Kamiya)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ridley327

Platinum Games' logo will likely not be on the front of the box. I don't think Nintendo has decided to drop their "publishers only" stance on companies listed on the front.

Neiteio

Yeah, Vanquish and Bayonetta are completely different games. I don't see one diminishing the other.

P* still own the Vanquish license, so they could make a sequel. It's just a question of whether they could pull it off using Mikami's groundwork, without Mikami himself.

I agree Kamiya has an outstanding track record. Definitely one of the best in the industry.

Amir0x

Banned
If Platinum announces a Vanquish sequel for Wii U exclusively, I'm officially abandoning ship on PS4/Xbox8

heard it here first

THAT'S THE PRICE OF MY ALLEGIANCE, PLATINUM GAMES

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
It would be a surreal world if the Wii U was home to exclusive sequels to games I originally bought a PlayStation 3 specifically for.

duckroll

Yeah, Vanquish and Bayonetta are completely different games. I don't see one diminishing the other.

P* still own the Vanquish license, so they could make a sequel. It's just a question of whether they could pull it off using Mikami's groundwork, without Mikami himself.

I agree Kamiya has an outstanding track record. Definitely one of the best in the industry.

Wut? Platinum doesn't own jack shit. Sega owns everything.

AzaK

Query: Who here, for whatever reasons, missed out on or was disinterested in Bayonetta, and given this announcement and surrounding nonsense is is now interested in Bayonetta 2?

Me.

I heard about Bayonetta and how a lot of people liked it. Did not have an HD console to play it on. Now I'm getting Wii U, I'm interested in Bayonetta 2.

Neiteio

If Platinum announces a Vanquish sequel for Wii U exclusively, I'm officially abandoning ship on PS4/Xbox8

heard it here first

That's probably going a -bit- far, but I appreciate your enthusiasm -- Vanquish was glorious! And like I said before, it's not that hard to picture on a Nintendo system. It's that back-to-basics mentality where the mechanics just feel right. Like, I wouldn't be surprised if Mikami just relentlessly iterated the basic act of shooting in Vanquish until it was just right, much like Nintendo when they make platformers.

Of course, by the same token, with the waves the Bayo 2 announcement made, I'd have to imagine Microsoft and/or Sony would consider throwing reams of cash at P*/Sega in a publishing agreement to swoop up an exclusive of their own.

Wut? Platinum doesn't own jack shit. Sega owns everything.
Whoops, you're right. The main thing is, Mikami didn't bring the Vanquish license to Tango, which was asserted earlier when someone said the license went with Mikami (unless they meant figuratively, I.E. no hope for Vanquish being Vanquish without Mikami at the helm).

TDLink

No. Early 2014 seems likely.

Depends how much work is already done on it. We really don't know. I wouldn't be surprised to see it in the second half of next year. I don't expect much more news (if any) until Platinum's other two games (Metal Gear Rising and Wonderful 101) are out though since they both should be hitting shelves within the next 6 months.

Beth Cyra

That's probably going a -bit- far, but I appreciate your enthusiasm -- Vanquish was glorious! And like I said before, it's not that hard to picture on a Nintendo system. It's that back-to-basics mentality where the mechanics just feel right. Like, I wouldn't be surprised if Mikami just relentlessly iterated the basic act of shooting in Vanquish until it was just right, much like Nintendo when they make platformers.

Of course, by the same token, with the waves the Bayo 2 announcement made, I'd have to imagine Microsoft and/or Sony would consider throwing reams of cash at P* in a publishing agreement to swoop up an exclusive of their own.

Whoops, you're right. The main thing is, Mikami didn't bring the Vanquish license to Tango, which was asserted earlier when someone said the license went with Mikami (unless they meant figuratively, I.E. no hope for Vanquish being Vanquish without Mikami at the helm).

What waves? This is awesome, and it's good to see Nintendo take these kind've steps, but this isn't big enough to really do anything to either Sony or Microsoft.

Sony as it stands owns the biggest Character action game IP peroid in God Of War and Microsoft is more then happy to have the games be multiplatform when everything sell like 5x's more on 360 anyway.

Sony and Micro have nothing to prove to hardcore gamers and have series that drive the core audience much harder then anything from Plat has produced up until this point.

Ridley327

Of course, by the same token, with the sort of waves the Bayo 2 announcement made, I'd have to imagine Microsoft and/or Sony would consider throwing reams of cash at P* in a publishing agreement to swoop up an exclusive of their own.

I can't see MS wanting to woo Platinum for any reason; MS has clearly given up on trying to appeal to Japan, and Platinum isn't the most western-appealing company out there.

And as it was mentioned, there's no reason for Sony to go after a company that largely makes character-based over-the-top action games when they themselves have the best-selling and critically regarded example of the genre as one of their cornerstone franchises.

boiled goose

good with gravy

heard it here first

Wiiu becoming the home for HD next gen Japanese games would be an interesting turn of events.

Bayonetta, Monster hunter, Dragon quest all confirmed for the system.
Nintendo seems to have a good relationship with Tecmo.
The lower budgets might be appealing to publishers.

Certainly a possibility....

Interesting topic for yet another WiiU thread haha.

Neiteio

What waves? This is awesome, and it's good to see Nintendo take these kind've steps, but this isn't big enough to really do anything to either Sony or Microsoft.
The waves that had Bayo 2 trending on Twitter, sold a portion of GAF a WiiU, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if Sony and Microsoft sought a Platinum exclusive of their own. It fits their demographic and it generates buzz among the core better than some of the DLC exclusives and such they secure to try and differentiate themselves. They don't need it like Nintendo does (speaking to their rep with the core), but it couldn't hurt.

As for when Bayo 2 comes out, I expect we'll see it next year. Rereading the P* comments now in the OP, it seems clear they've been working on this game for some time. Chances are it's already made considerable progress and could be out sooner rather than later. If I had to guess... Fall 2013.

TreIII

I can't see MS wanting to woo Platinum for any reason; MS has clearly given up on trying to appeal to Japan, and Platinum isn't the most western-appealing company out there.

And as it was mentioned, there's no reason for Sony to go after a company that largely makes character-based over-the-top action games when they themselves have the best-selling and critically regarded example of the genre as one of their cornerstone franchises.

Not to mention that I don't see a smaller company like P* even having the means to really make a jump into the Xbox720/PS4 bandwagon, anyway. Not unless Sony or MS stand to donate devkits out of the goodness of their hearts. And I think those days are definitely over in the MS camp, certainly.

Forever

Banned
The waves that had Bayo 2 trending on Twitter, sold a portion of GAF a WiiU, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if Sony and Microsoft sought a Platinum exclusive of their own. It fits their demographic and it generates buzz among the core better than some of the DLC exclusives and such they secure to try and differentiate themselves. They don't need it like Nintendo does (speaking to their rep with the core), but it couldn't hurt.

As for when Bayo 2 comes out, I expect we'll see it next year. Rereading the P* comments now in the OP, it seems clear they've been working on this game for some time. Chances are it's already made considerable progress and could be out sooner rather than later. If I had to guess... Fall 2013.

They were probably deep in development when it got canned, but now they'll have to port it over to an entirely new system, polish it up, and finish whatever was left. It could be a year off.

At least the development of W101 means that they probably have the Platinum Engine already running on Wii U.

ChaosXVI

I'm rather surprised at this point that Metal Gear Rising has yet to be announced as coming to Wii U. Nintendo is clearly lending Platinum a major helping hand, has 2 games coming exclusively to their system, one of which they may have (almost irrefutably) saved from cancellation.

Meanwhile, Metal Gear is no stranger to Nintendo platforms, and though Twin Snakes was a long time ago by this point, Snake did appear in Brawl in 2008, so I'm not really getting why it isn't coming, unless Platinum just doesn't have enough manpower to support a Wii U version, already working on W101, Bayonetta 2, and MGR:R for the HD Twins.

How big of a studio is Platinum anyway? Anyone have any ideas?

Beth Cyra

These waves are largely unimportant and bullshit in other ways.

One of the reasons this was big was because it was an Ip that was taken from them and put on Nintendo's platform, there is nothing of importance Sony or Micro could do this with.

The Wonderful 101 more then anything shows that this is largely pointless. A Plat Exclusive did nothing, and even now is being largely ignored by both Nintendo and Plat fans in favor of this.

It wouldn't really help, not when Sony can announce God Of War PS4/GT6/UC4 and same goes for Micro and it's big IP's. Alot of things had to come together for this storm for Bayo 2 to be the way it is, none of that will be there just for a brand new Ip exlusive to Micro or Sony, even less so when they don't need or even care to get it.

I'm rather surprised at this point that Metal Gear Rising has yet to be announced as coming to Wii U. Nintendo is clearly lending Platinum a major helping hand, has 2 games coming exclusively to their system, one of which they may have (almost irrefutably) saved from cancellation.

Meanwhile, Metal Gear is no stranger to Nintendo platforms, and though Twin Snakes was a long time ago by this point, Snake did appear in Brawl in 2008, so I'm not really getting why it isn't coming, unless Platinum just doesn't have enough manpower to support a Wii U version, already working on W101, Bayonetta 2, and MGR:R for the HD Twins.

Can't say I'm really shocked over this. Hell Kojima has made a big deal about how every game on Fox Engine will be across 360/PS3 and Vita and yet we haven't heard a single peep out of him when it comes to Wii U and Fox Engine. While he isn't Plat, MGR is a Konami game and it will be aimed a the MGS audeince and were Konami believes that is, and as for right now it seems they believe that is 360 and PS3.

Terrell

It would be a surreal world if the Wii U was home to exclusive sequels to games I originally bought a PlayStation 3 specifically for.

Nintendo fans: Oh Frabjous Day!

264560_o.gif

Nintendo haters:

ibarrcCNn1nnkm.jpg

Neiteio

They were probably deep in development when it got canned, but now they'll have to port it over to an entirely new system.
I'd imagine porting it would take less time than perfecting the actual gameplay systems. If they already have considerable work done on the actual gameplay, overall progress might be further along than we think. I'm just saying, let's not count this one out and assume it's a 2014 title. I wouldn't be surprised if this one has been in the oven for a while.

Neiteio

The Wonderful 101 more then anything shows that this is largely pointless. A Plat Exclusive did nothing, and even now is being largely ignored by both Nintendo and Plat fans in favor of this.
I was thinking more along the lines of Microsoft or Sony gunning for Vanquish 2. Game wasn't a blockbuster by any means but has a certain street cred now that would rank which publisher got it on the hype-o-meter during E3. It'd be more exciting to see it on a Nintendo system but I just wonder if MS or Sony would care to cock-block Nintendo in this fashion.

And now, a random request: Nintendo, go to EA and salvage Bulletstorm 2 somehow. Get Epic and People Can Fly as soon as they're done with Gears of War Judgment, lol.

TDLink

It's entirely up to Konami since they are publishing that game. I wouldn't be surprised if that agreement was made before they signed their agreements with Nintendo though. I have a feeling it could be the last non-Nintendo-published Platinum game. But we'll see what happens.

Platinum is large enough to work on 4 games simultaneously, it seems. (Wonderful 101, Bayo 2, MGR:R, and Anarchy Reigns had to be finishing its development while still working on these 3 also since they are all fairly far along).

Beth Cyra

I was thinking more along the lines of Microsoft or Sony gunning for Vanquish 2. Game wasn't a blockbuster by any means but has a certain street cred that ranks them on the hype-o-meter during E3. It'd be more exciting to see it on a Nintendo system but I just wonder if MS or Sony would care to cock-block Nintendo in this fashion.

Why bother? It would be a waste when all they have to do is show a single glimpse of the next Halo or Killzone or any other shooter that these two have hyped up to completely blow Vanquish 2 out of the water when it comes to the core.

We on Gaf might get hype but in general people aren't going to give a damn in the face of these much bigger IP's that Micro and Sony already own and can build on even more.

I didn't really get into Bayonetta, but am excited for the Wii U version. Partially because it'll make for more Wii U sales and popularity, and partially because I really want to play a sequel and see if I can get into it again. I really liked the setting, energy, motif, and general style of the original game, which is why I want to try it again.

I have a slight feeling a lot of Japanese developers will jump on the Wii U. In Japan, it's already releasing with Monster Hunter and Dragon Quest X beta. I can see its popularity in Japan rise largely due to that, and at the very least, we'll get a lot of PS3/Wii U multiplatform games from there.

Personally, as long as it does well in Japan and we get tons of great awesome Japanese games, I'll be happy.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch

Vanquish 2 would be incredible, but I don't think Mikami would even be supervising it. Which would give me concern. The biggest reason why its so great is that perfect touch with the mechanics.

Would I be ecstatic for it? Yes. But unlike this where at least Kayima is still with the company. He is no longer.

Meelow

Banned
Isn't No More Heroes 3 also in development for Wii U as an exclusive?

Taken what Suda 51 said a few years ago that NMH3 will come to the "Wii successor".

ChaosXVI

That's Konami's call, not Platinum's.

For some reason that seemed to slip my mind...but still, Konami does have a relationship with Nintendo, and I forgot to mention the fact that they ported-ish MGS3 to the 3DS recently as well...obviously that doesn't mean everything, but the stars just seem to be lining up where MGR on Wii U would make sense.

TDLink

Taken what Suda 51 said a few years ago that NMH3 will come to the "Wii successor".

He did absolutely say that but no NMH3 has been confirmed for Wii U yet. I wouldn't take those words of his a couple years ago as hard evidence it is going to happen, but I wouldn't be surprised if it does.

Beth Cyra

Regardless of what he said a few years ago, I think it would be a bit premature to just assume that NMH 3 is in development.

Also given the time he could have very well had a change of heart on where that game should go.

Neiteio

Hmm, maybe one point in the WiiU's favor re: courting Japanese devs is that it will now be the simplest and most budget-friendly system to make games for, I'd imagine, since it's the simplest technologically. Most J-devs don't seem to push the envelope technologically (with some notable exceptions, of course), and those that do will need manpower to match the level of detail being rendered on PS4/720. I'd see many of them either going to WiiU, the portables or continuing Wii development.

Meelow

Banned
He did absolutely say that but no NMH3 has been confirmed for Wii U yet. I wouldn't take those words of his a couple years ago as hard evidence it is going to happen, but I wouldn't be surprised if it does.

Regardless of what he said a few years ago, I think it would be a bit premature to just assume that NMH 3 is in development.

Also given the time he could have very well had a change of heart on where that game should go.

He did also say it after E3 2011.

http://www.videogamesblogger.com/2011/06/14/no-more-heroes-3-coming-to-wii-u-suda-51-says-yes.htm

And now, after the revelations of the Wii U seen at E3 2011, Suda 51 says he has no intention of breaking his promise to Nintendo fans. In fact, quite the opposite, he says once he picked up a Wii U Controller all kinds of new ideas floated to mind!

Read more: No More Heroes 3 coming to Wii U? Suda 51 says yes http://www.videogamesblogger.com/20...g-to-wii-u-suda-51-says-yes.htm#ixzz26g0rEKu5

Beth Cyra

Meelow

Banned
Not saying it won't happen, it could and that would be cool.

Just lets be real, that qoute doesn't mean anything. We have had 30 minutes of that stuff being spouted by people over and over again in press confrences only to have them never release a single game on the platform they just gave a hummer too.

Suda 51 said

Suda 51 says he has no intention of breaking his promise to Nintendo fans.

So if he breaks his promise about not breaking the promise that's just mean lol.

Well ok then. That is definitely confirmation enough in my books. We haven't seen anything from it yet though so who knows when exactly it will happen. Nice to know it will happen though.

Pretty much.

Sadist

For some reason that seemed to slip my mind...but still, Konami does have a relationship with Nintendo, and I forgot to mention the fact that they ported-ish MGS3 to the 3DS recently as well...obviously that doesn't mean everything, but the stars just seem to be lining up where MGR on Wii U would make sense.
Ha, don't count on it. Regarding Konami's support on Wii U, it'll just be the yearly PES games and that's that. Metal Gear (Solid) games for now are a pipedream on Nintendo homeconsoles. I mean, they haven't announced anything right now for the system.

Ridley327

I doubt he's had a change of heart, but it sounds like GHM is knee-deep in the development of Killer is Dead for there to be any impending announcements regarding NMH3.

In development? Probably not. In a famitsu interview from a few months ago suda said he didn't even have a Wii U devkit yet. It will happen sometime though. But probably not for awile since he needs to finish up his current project "killer is dead" anyway

Exclusive? Maybe. Grasshoper tried porting NMH over to the ps360 before but after paradise bombed I think he knows that the majority of the fanbase are on a nintendo console. Who knows though

McNum

Query: Who here, for whatever reasons, missed out on or was disinterested in Bayonetta, and given this announcement and surrounding nonsense is is now interested in Bayonetta 2?
Kind of. If the game can generate this much rage due to being a Wii U exclusive, it might be worth checking out. Bad games don't create this kind of emotions.

I'm usually not interested in 3D brawlers like this, though, but it might be worth checking out, if I buy a Wii U.

Korigama

Exclusive? Maybe. Grasshoper tried porting NMH over to the ps360 before but after paradise bombed I think he knows that the majority of the fanbase are on a nintendo console. Who knows though
Grasshopper had nothing to do with those awful ports. Those were made by feelplus.

evangd007

Wiiu becoming the home for HD next gen Japanese games would be an interesting turn of events.

Bayonetta, Monster hunter, Dragon quest all confirmed for the system.
Nintendo seems to have a good relationship with Tecmo.
The lower budgets might be appealing to publishers.

Certainly a possibility....

Interesting topic for yet another WiiU thread haha.

With the Vita shaping up to be inhospitable to games in general, this is seems like a very likely prospect, at least for independent studios and smaller publishers. The Capcoms and Konamis will still be hiring Western studios to ruin "develop" their existing properties on the PS4/Durango.

Daschysta

Why would MS go after relatively obscure japanese exclusives, it makes absolutely no sense. Their demographic is the West, it would just be a waste. Sony doesn't have the cash to be going after exclusives, if Nintendo managed to steal Dragon Quest and Monster Hunter you seriously, seriously think they have money to throw after something like this?

Why would MS go after relatively obscure japanese exclusives, it makes absolutely no sense. Their demographic is the West, it would just be a waste. Sony doesn't have the cash to be going after exclusives, if Nintendo managed to steal Dragon Quest and Monster Hunter you seriously, seriously think they have money to throw after something like this?

If Nintendo is slowly locking down the Japanese developers and if Microsoft is locking down the west...what is left for Sony at this rate.

They have been doing it this entire gen.

DigitalOp

Banned
If Nintendo is slowly locking down the Japanese developers and if Microsoft is locking down the west...what is left for Sony at this rate.

Sony is literally holding their own self up, They kinda exists in-between the 2 markets with GOW & Uncharted /West compared to things like Folklore & Team ICO (even that new Vita IP) / East

I've been enjoying Sonys work lately and I hope for the best but it does seem in light of these new recent moves that the future of Sony in the videogame business may be ending in the upcoming future

They have been doing it this entire gen.

They did it for the first few years and then realized Japan was a wash for them. They haven't really done it the past few years. That said, I fully expect them to try again next gen, buying up JRPG exclusives and stuff to try to drive Xbox 3 adoption in Japan until it falls flat on its face again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom