• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta 2 - WiiU (Director: Yusuke Hashimoto, Pub: Nintendo, Supervision:Kamiya)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haliela

Can I just say I am flabbergasted by deciding you will never buy a console before it comes out?

Like, I can understand "Nothing announced so far appeals to me."

But "I will literally never buy this, I hate that they are putting games I want on it" seems utterly insane to me. This seems like a thing that makes sense to say in five years when the library is all out and still nothing appeals to you.

I dunno, I guess for someone that is willing to buy a system for three or four games, deciding before launch that I will not get it does not make sense to me, nor do I really expect any explanation to make sense to me. I don't think my tastes are so narrow that it permeate my stubbornly open mind.

It's actually pretty simple. Some people don't want to make the multi console investment. Say someone really REALLY enjoys playing games on their PS3. They love PSN, they love the Sony exclusives, and don't really care about what the other guys are bringing to the table. They'll be more than happy with their PS4.

Any game that they've enjoyed getting poached by competitors to a platform they have chosen to invest in will irritate them.

Given it's a Sega owned IP even now, what 3rd party would even consider this?

Given the totally shipment of the first it's incredibly unlikely Micro or Sony cared, and if they did it's unlikely Nintendo flat beat them out if they had been serious.
I thought it shipped like a million+ units?

True Crime remains Activision owned. Then again, I guess a third party would have had to change the name and thus lose the brand.
It should happen frequently enough. This is Iwata's plan for third party collaboration in action; something like this doesn't make sense as a one off. Moreover, a dead Bayonetta sequel doesn't strike me as a particularly expensive acquisition.
How often are you expecting dead sequels that people actually care about?

I don't generally expect third-party exclusivity next generation overall.

Zomba13

Can I just say I am flabbergasted by deciding you will never buy a console before it comes out?

But "I will literally never buy this, I hate that they are putting games I want on it" seems utterly insane to me. This seems like a thing that makes sense to say in five years when the library is all out and still nothing appeals to you.

I dunno, I guess for someone that is willing to buy a system for three or four games, deciding before launch that I will not get it does not make sense to me, nor do I really expect any explanation to make sense to me. I don't think my tastes are so narrow that it permeate my stubbornly open mind.

Same.
It is kind of entertaining though. Seeing people flip out and damn a console before it has come out because a game they wanted to play is coming out on it and not something they already own.

'Bayonetta 2 is being made! :O On the WiiU!? Then fuck it! grrrrrr!'

I'm happy we're getting a Bayonetta 2 and I'm happy there is one more game for me to want for the WiiU.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
It's actually pretty simple. Some people don't want to make the multi console investment. Say someone really REALLY enjoys playing games on their PS3. They love PSN, they love the Sony exclusives, and don't really care about what the other guys are bringing to the table. They'll be more than happy with their PS4.

Any game that they've enjoyed getting poached by competitors to a platform they have chosen to invest in will irritate them.

But they don't know that yet, unless literally all they care about are exclusives that are 100% guaranteed to show up.

Daschysta

Poached implies that this game was ever coming to PS3 once it got cancelled. It wasn't. Freaking out because a "competing" platform saved a game from the trashcan is childish and embarrassing.

TrueBlue

I-dont-get-it2.gif

Sums up my reaction to this thread pretty well.

Great news by the way, really put the icing on top of a good birthday. :)

Endo Punk

I didn't particularly care for the first Bayonetta but it would be criminal for the IP not to bcome a franchise. And I am not at all salty about it being Ninty exclusive, I doubt it would of happened without them. Here's hoping she also makes it in SSB4.

I think people need to take this as a hint.

Next gen is going to be one hell of a rollercoaster ride. Given how this gen has gone no one can properly predict things in the future.It's probably going with bigger meltdowns, more casualties, and epic lols all around.

But that's not simple to me.

What you are describing to me is someone that loves a company and not video games.

Squire

Banned
I can't tell if this is serious or not.

I'm just excited that Bayonetta 2 is still alive. If Nintendo is the only company that appreciates Platinum's genius, I may just have to get a Wii U.

Sega published like 4-5 PG titles. They weren't marketed like crazy, sure. And while I do like PG quite a lot, at a certain point you have to admit: they generally don't make games with great sales potential or mass appeal.

No need to piss in Sega's face over it, though. Jeez.

Nintendo makes hardcore gamerz!!1! feel insecure of their hardcoreness.

Haliela

But they don't know that yet, unless literally all they care about are exclusives that are 100% guaranteed to show up.

Chances are if you want Uncharted, God of War, Killzone, Sly Cooper, etc... you're going to get it on the PS4 ;)

No, it hasn't been confirmed, but if you don't care about Nintendo franchises or Microsoft franchises you're probably going to be happiest with the PS4.

I know I don't like to own multiple platforms because I don't have the time nor the spare cash to throw at video games all the time.

Poached implies that this game was ever coming to PS3 once it got cancelled. It wasn't. Freaking out because a "competing" platform saved a game from the trashcan is childish and embarrassing.

This is certainly true. In the case of Bayonetta 2 they don't really have that excuse. It's more a selfish reason in this case to be annoyed by what's happened.

zroid

Banned

Even though it's normal human behaviour to get attached to brands and corporations like that, rational people should attempt to keep it in check.

It's really quite silly and does the consumer no benefit.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Well, after a disappointing E3 this has certainly renewed my excitement for the Wii U. I'm glad to see Nintendo getting some exclusives. On a somewhat related note, has anything been heard about Devil's Third? That would be another game I'd like to see snatched up.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
I thought it shipped like a million+ units?

It shipped about 1.2 million units, I think. But Sega can't afford to fund it, other publishers are busy doing what they can to fund and market their own games, Microsoft is generally only interested in funding retail games they consider surefire sellers, and Sony are focusing on building their first party portfolio, so..

Rightly or wrongly, most people are assuming multiplatform development will be the norm for third parties across the PC, PS4, 720 and (depending upon the power differential) the Wii U.

Short of moneyhatting, I'm of the opinion that it's rightly.

that doesnt really answer the question, I know it was on other platforms and that it was cancelled on other platforms, I'm just not sure how people are sure it was cancelled on other platforms then nintendo bought it, rather than being cancelled on other platforms because nintendo bought it?

People are getting that from all the rumors that it was canned earlier this year when Sega was going through heavy restructuring. It just doesn't really make sense that Sega would agree to can those two versions and give Nintendo the publishing rights for the sequel.

Not much of a comfort if you'll never get to play it. Again i am glad it exists and will likely get it eventually when i have the money. But not everyone plans to own multiple consoles, just sayin...

Well, those people still have an opportunity to play it at a family member or friends house. It's certainly a better option that a cancellation.

iavi

I'm actually glad it went to Nintendo, honestly; gives me less of a reason to keep my current gen oldies plugged in, and adds fuel to my PC/ Wii U only future.

D-Stubbs

As much as I loved the first game Nintendo still has a long way to go to even get me interested in a Wii U. Kudos to Nintendo for landing this as an exclusive though.

Which betrayalton thread was better?

Bayonetta
Monster Hunter 3
FF13
Dragon Quest 9
Dragon Quest 10

Let's vote. I personally don't know since I only glanced at most of these.

dreamfall

I'm not entirely sure what's going on here. Why is everyone upset? Nintendo gladly/boldly resurrected Bayonetta from the dead. I'm just wondering when Andy McNamara was pitched, was it multiplatform?

And for those that did spend time with Bayonetta- should we be upset that it was basically a 360 exclusive? The port was atrocious on the PS3, and we've talked at lengths about multiplatform titles' differences. Shouldn't we be angry at other console companies that didn't offer the endorsement for this game to be made?

I'm not entirely excited by the WiiU. But I'm happy Bayonetta is still around.

Blueblur1

I want to play Bayonetta 2 but I don't want to buy a Wii U. I guess I'll play it a couple years down the line when the system inevitably drops price. I'm definitely not buying the system for 1 game.

Bayonetta
Monster Hunter 3
FF13
Dragon Quest 9
Dragon Quest 10

FF13 betrayalton was in a league of its own.
The FF fanbase (myself included) is clinically insane.

Bayonetta
Monster Hunter 3
FF13
Dragon Quest 9
Dragon Quest 10

You left out the MH4 announcement from last year. I'd say it's tied between DQIX and FFXIII, though that could change by the time this thread ends.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr

Bayonetta
Monster Hunter 3
FF13
Dragon Quest 9
Dragon Quest 10

I would say FFXIII since we were still not far out of the PS3 doldrums.

DQIX was pretty legendary thought with the amount of hand wringing.

antonz

I'm not entirely sure what's going on here. Why is everyone upset? Nintendo gladly/boldly resurrected Bayonetta from the dead. I'm just wondering when Andy McNamara was pitched, was it multiplatform?

And for those that did spend time with Bayonetta- should be upset that it was basically a 360 exclusive? The port was atrocious on the PS3, and we've talked at lengths about multiplatform titles' differences. Shouldn't we be angry at other console companies that didn't offer the endorsement for this game to be made?

I'm not entirely excited by the WiiU. But I'm happy Bayonetta is still around.

Andy probably saw it when it was a PS3/360 game. Sega got into financial issues and cut a bunch of titles in development.

Nintendo followed an idea that Iwata specifically mentioned regarding working with publishers to revive IPs.

If Nintendo didn't do it no one was getting Bayonetta 2.

7threst

Too early to say that it's indicative of a new Nintendo until/unless we get more announcements like this, particularly from Western developers.

But still, Nintendo felt the need to show this Bayonetta teaser in their Direct show... I think there is more to it and that Nintendo might have something more up their sleeve. Nobody saw this coming, who knows what's more to come?

Bayonetta
Monster Hunter 3
FF13
Dragon Quest 9
Dragon Quest 10

FFXIII easily.

It's legacy is still being felt, even in this thread, in the form of the classic "I'm an expert" quote.

Bayonetta
Monster Hunter 3
FF13
Dragon Quest 9
Dragon Quest 10

I doubt this will ever be topped. Something like GTA5 being exclusive to any console, or perhaps FFV exclusive to Nintendo could possibly do it.

oblo

Too early to say that it's indicative of a new Nintendo until/unless we get more announcements like this, particularly from Western developers.
I dunno, the way they launched the 3DS XL boom bam, there it is, that got me convinced already.

I first felt it when they came with this Nintendo-direct stuff... And a few weeks ago in Belgium and the Netherlands they had an exclusive pre-release videoclip by the Opposites on their 3DS-video thingy, now that's a Dutch hiphop group I've been listening to since their debut album but up until two years ago in my country (Belgium) it was like no-one even ever heard of them, I though that kinda fresh.
LMAO I did not see this coming. Bayonetta in Super Smash Bros. now
Yes please.

beje

Banned
I would say FFXIII since we were still not far out of the PS3 doldrums.

Even though FFXIII was good, the funniest betrayalton for me this gen was MH3 as there were people in Vandal in complete and absolute caps-lock meltdown because they paid 599 dot 99 euros for a PS3 with that game in mind.

Bayonetta is good, but it's not $500 good. Two more good exclusives will tip the scales for me.

At least Nintendo have pulled their finger out and are actually getting games people want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom