• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta 3 on Switch - DF Tech Review - A Great Game With Polish & Performance Issues

SSfox

Game is too poor technically... as expected tbh, even as a huge Bayo fan will skip the day one this time around

Last edited:

ssringo

Shocking.

I'm sure whenever Nintendo decides to upgrade to last gen hardware the re-release will look and run quite nice.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I mean, when he says "it can look great but more often than not it looks like this" or whatever, I wasn't even sure what he meant? It just looked the same as in any video, just instead of actually playing the game as you tend to do, stopping to scrutinize each piece that makes the formerly seen whole.

Especially having seen that same part in the recent video showcasing the summon controls and seeing how destructible all the buildings there are and how the vehicles are knocked around and explode as the massive monsters or whatever those are called merely walk around without even fighting.

Naturally frame drops aren't great and the thing I find most jarring in games is the pop in evident here too. When you actually are within an area as above the draw distance of even small objects seem fine but when you're on your way to such an area it seems to get populated very closely/abruptly.

I also share his dislike for dithering, but somehow it seems quite popular even on other platforms nowadays, I didn't see much hate for that in Nioh 1/2 or Resident Evil/games with Capcom's new REngine or before when MT Framework (MHW) employed that technique pretty much everywhere too.

As for emulating this, I mean, running it at 4K on a monitor in your face will only make the pop in and muddy textures even more apparent, though proper full framerate and input lag (which more often than not is not the case with Switch emulation on the average gaming PC) would be very nice...

Last edited:
Looks like a PS2 game and not a very impressive one at that. The Steam Deck has redefined what is possible on a portable and the Switch looks archaic in comparison.

Nintendo had better have something lined up for next year.
will also be getting this for steam deck, nintendo should release an expansion pack for the switch like they did for n64 - :messenger_sunglasses:

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
will also be getting this for steam deck, wil nintendo should release an expansion pack for the switch like they did for n64 - :messenger_sunglasses:
Um, Deck absolutely cannot emulate Switch at any better settings as of now, often much worse settings and performance at that, so what are you gaining with that exactly? Do you even have a Deck yet? Maybe you can cancel your purchase intention if you really thought it does things like that 🤷‍♂️
i love this lol. man i want a steam deck !!

Native games may look & run much better than some Switch ports but that's what a 5 year tech jump does. Less than stellar performance doesn't make it PS2 level given much more modern techniques, a slow paced far from the craze of Bayonettta PS2 game to use a few would be the <20fps SOTC.

Not to mention the PS2's notorious image quality/resolution/texture res budget (that some talented devs did work miracles around but still) even for its time compared to contemporary systems. Suffice to say Switch far exceeds it all. Might as well say it looks like an N64 game if being that dumb.

Last edited:

MrA

will also be getting this for steam deck, nintendo should release an expansion pack for the switch like they did for n64 - :messenger_sunglasses:
oddly enough nintendo could actually download more power with the switch, allowing users to reach full clocks, on the original docked switches could have a 20% performance boost and like an 80% boost on 2019 and later units, handheld boosts would be even better just allowing users to unlock clocks at their own risk. personally, I'm fine with bayonetta 3s performance just like I'm fine with 1080p 30 fps returning on ps5 xsx

Esppiral

oddly enough nintendo could actually download more power with the switch, allowing users to reach full clocks, on the original docked switches could have a 20% performance boost and like an 80% boost on 2019 and later units, handheld boosts would be even better just allowing users to unlock clocks at their own risk. personally, I'm fine with bayonetta 3s performance just like I'm fine with 1080p 30 fps returning on ps5 xsx
What that performance difference between launch switch models and later ones?

hemo memo

Gold Member
They pulled a "Scalebound" on Nintendo.
Platinum response to the game performance:
scalebound_what_about_meeeeee.jpg

Platinum after the game sells like hot cake:
scalebound-revived-for-nintendo-switch-1.jpg

TLZ

Banned
I’d rather they made a console comparable to PS5/Xbox but that’s wishful thinking to say the least.
I'd love that and so would a lot of people, but we all know it's not happening. At the very least they're giving us the option to play on TV. Better than nothing.

Hopefully the next Switch would be at least as powerful as the Steam Deck, which is already selling for 399.

Keihart

eh

Aesthetically, the game looks beautifull, full of great designs, animations and effects, the IQ is garbage tho.
That being said, i can hardly believe this shit runs on switch as good as it does, P* pushed this console to its limits.

I'm loving the game and i enjoy how it looks, i just recently replayed Bayo 1 on PC and 2 on switch, 3 looks miles better imo, but i'm not a snob of IQ and usually care more for quality of animations and aesthetics in general.
Bayo 1 has this problem where background and characters sometimes meld together, Bayo 2 not so much but on 3 the hues are always very intentional, shit doesn't blend together anymore, which is a relieve since it makes it easier to track the action, and action the game has.

hemo memo

Gold Member
eh

Aesthetically, the game looks beautifull, full of great designs, animations and effects, the IQ is garbage tho.
That being said, i can hardly believe this shit runs on switch as good as it does, P* pushed this console to its limits.

I'm loving the game and i enjoy how it looks, i just recently replayed Bayo 1 on PC and 2 on switch, 3 looks miles better imo, but i'm not a snob of IQ and usually care more for quality of animations and aesthetics in general.
Bayo 1 has this problem where background and characters sometimes meld together, Bayo 2 not so much but on 3 the hues are always very intentional, shit doesn't blend together anymore, which is a relieve since it makes it easier to track the action, and action the game has.
Switch 2/Pro can’t come soon enough.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Performance issues are just the tip of it.

Poor Bayonetta’s cursed with being on toaster hardware, and damn does it flat out look bad. I couldn’t imagine playing this on a TV.
Emulation can’t improve all the shortcuts they took to get performance that bounces all over the place.

Last edited:
Top Bottom