• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bayonetta 3 Trailer (2022) Mommy is back

Keihart

The enemies don't get staggered like enemies do in 1 nor 2. Eh, how you can say the summoning mechanic is fleshed out when we haven't seen enough of it? And even in the trailer, it looks like it isn't anything intricate. It's more bombastic than anything else. Mmm new wicked weaves? Not really outside the missile one. Again we haven't seen enough of the game to know there are any more new WWs. Torture attacks are fine but I don't know if they served the function as with previous games.

Again the WT wasn't something I was arguing but this can be adjusted in higher difficulties.

My thing is she interacting with bigger enemies fine in previous games. It felt like PG wanted to implement elements of Scalebound. Which is fine but it isn't exactly what Bayo is known for. She can tangle with enemies that are skyscrapers height no problem. Now she's off dance to the side while Gomorrah fights.

And honestly, as a Bayo fan, I don't want to take your positivity of the trailer away from you. Glad you're happy with the different direction and are defending the game
At least the director implies that there is a lot to the summoning mechanic.
Unlike the Climax Summons of previous games that automatically defeated enemies and returned to Inferno, this mechanic lets players control demons during gameplay and unleash a host of intuitive actions. Each demon’s abilities vary and the kinds of abilities that are advantageous in a certain situation can change at any time. Just how many are there? What else can you do? Well, there’s a lot more I’d like to tell you, but I have to stop here for now. However, there’s a lot of info hidden in the trailer that I didn’t go into here, so please consider watching it again until the next announcement.
You can see in the trailer that there are at least 3 infernal demons and each can kick, punch and range attack plus an equivalent to torture attack as finishers, they also each have their own "bar" while active on top of the witch power that depletes over time it seems. Focus on the demon's icons if you didn't notice it.

Labolas

At least the director implies that there is a lot to the summoning mechanic.

You can see in the trailer that there are at least 3 infernal demons and each can kick, punch and range attack plus an equivalent to torture attack as finishers, they also each have their own "bar" while active on top of the witch power that depletes over time it seems. Focus on the demon's icons if you didn't notice it.
Again it doesn't make it a deep mechanic but then again we haven't enough to judge as I said in previous posts. But if the new director says there's more I'll take his word for it.

It doesn't compliment Bayo's gameplay. It looks like its own thing.

Keihart

Again it doesn't make it a deep mechanic but then again we haven't enough to judge as I said in previous posts. But if the new director says there's more I'll take his word for it.

It doesn't compliment Bayo's gameplay. It looks like its own thing.
Never said it was deep, but that it seems fleshed out, as in it has been given substance as in is a mechanic with substancial work behind it and not just an after though or something very limited as you worded it originally.

Saying that you don't like the puppet mechanic by declaring it "it's own thing" it's a completely different problem and colors your opinion in a different way. Your are obviously more troubled by how much different the game seems and not by how competent as new character action game.

In that sense i would kindly remind you how good change is in action games when driven by creativity and in the spirit of the original concept, games like DMC 3, 4 and 5 could not be more different from each other but yet mechanically they topped themselves each time, each game having it's specific drawbacks yet being undeniable still Devil May Cry.

A new character action game in a franchise without new mechanics is the most backwards shit, imagine DMC still playing like 3 because that was considered the golden standard for too long.

Edit: Also, check this clip in replay again on 0.25, you can see the enemies flinch with every hit and the last one get launched to the ceiling and die without a wicked weave.
You can also see the combo route for the multiple wicked weaves move, it's definetly a wicked weave type finisher and is replacing the 5 punches combo, the animation it's even similar with the multiple hits at the end before sending the enemy fliying forwards. (it's not using any extra resources like witch power either nor prompting a qte like torture attacks)
The one in the train is obviously kick, kick, kick, punch which finishes with an uppercut.
There is a lot of information in the trailer about how the game is gonna play, you can see even which buttons are being pressed thanks to the score HUD and you can see when things are having special effects because of it too.

But it is, what it is, if you wanna pretend all those things aren't there or are not good changes, you do you, just don't state things like the enemies not getting staggered/"reacting" or the summon ability being "very limited" like facts.

Last edited:

Keihart

BTW, hello charge shot?
faNvXe3.png

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Game seems to be summon oriented given that the UI shows no weapon switching but instead has a dial you use to select which demon you want to summon. And below that you have a bar that depletes when the demon gets damaged or uses attacks implying a builder spender playstyle.

I imagine the gameplay loop will be build bar with regular attacks and then spend on ballerina demon summoner. Environments seem very interactive.

The weaker enemies do stagger and larger enemies only stagger from Umbran climax attacks or Demon attacks so not too concerned.

My concern is that the combat is not going to be fast and fluid but then Bayo 2 wasn't either in comparison to Bayo 1.

I think censorship is very much at play with demon tattoos with red glow and Umbran Climax attacks turning Cereza into a Madama Butterfly Power Ranger.

Last edited:

Labolas

Never said it was deep, but that it seems fleshed out, as in it has been given substance as in is a mechanic with substancial work behind it and not just an after though or something very limited as you worded it originally.

Saying that you don't like the puppet mechanic by declaring it "it's own thing" it's a completely different problem and colors your opinion in a different way. Your are obviously more troubled by how much different the game seems and not by how competent as new character action game.

In that sense i would kindly remind you how good change is in action games when driven by creativity and in the spirit of the original concept, games like DMC 3, 4 and 5 could not be more different from each other but yet mechanically they topped themselves each time, each game having it's specific drawbacks yet being undeniable still Devil May Cry.

A new character action game in a franchise without new mechanics is the most backwards shit, imagine DMC still playing like 3 because that was considered the golden standard for too long.

Edit: Also, check this clip in replay again on 0.25, you can see the enemies flinch with every hit and the last one get launched to the ceiling and die without a wicked weave.
You can also see the combo route for the multiple wicked weaves move, it's definetly a wicked weave type finisher and is replacing the 5 punches combo, the animation it's even similar with the multiple hits at the end before sending the enemy fliying forwards. (it's not using any extra resources like witch power either nor prompting a qte like torture attacks)
The one in the train is obviously kick, kick, kick, punch which finishes with an uppercut.
There is a lot of information in the trailer about how the game is gonna play, you can see even which buttons are being pressed thanks to the score HUD and you can see when things are having special effects because of it too.

But it is, what it is, if you wanna pretend all those things aren't there or are not good changes, you do you, just don't state things like the enemies not getting staggered/"reacting" or the summon ability being "very limited" like facts.
Again I said it's limited because it looks it is. It doesn't compliment what came before. It's its own thing. It doesn't anything add to her old gameplay. Never said there wasn't work being put into it but saying that there substantial work being put forth here has yet to be seen.

But DMC3 to DMC4 to DMC5, essentially made characters work similarly how to work in those games. They built upon what came before. Ie style switching and Nero's arms/DT. What we got shown is not really building upon but is its own thing. How does this puppet mode build upon came before?

Never said that I don't want change in the third game. They had to change some things considering 2 is very similar to 1. But the mechanics showed here don't look that deep or add anything that came before.

The clip you used is the subway one. Again they don't react the same as before I was saying. And you're right, they do react to getting hit but it's very limited reacting and staggered reactions. Hell, we don't even know if her sweep still knocks enemies off their feet. The lack of staggered and bounce to the enemies could be because of how confined the subway is. But acting like they getting bounce around and staggered as the angels did previously is a bit disingenuous.

Not saying there aren't any good changes because I've stated there are and a lot of this isn't explored but saying this trailer doesn't set off any alarm bells for any Bayo vet is wrong.

Last edited:

Jooxed

Gold Member
Excited to visit the world of Bayonetta again. I was late to the party and didnt play until the switch versions but I had loads of fun.

I love Bayonetta 1 and don't like Bayonetta 2. I don't think I'll like Bayonetta 3 that much. Thing is, every Hideki Kamiya game since Viewtiful Joe will never have a better sequel that is not also a Hideki Kamiya game. The things I love in the first game - the combat system and insane versatility - never seemed to be the focus of these sequels.

kunonabi

I love Bayonetta 1 and don't like Bayonetta 2. I don't think I'll like Bayonetta 3 that much. Thing is, every Hideki Kamiya game since Viewtiful Joe will never have a better sequel that is not also a Hideki Kamiya game. The things I love in the first game - the combat system and insane versatility - never seemed to be the focus of these sequels.
Yeah, going back to the first Bayonetta the sequels seem to be pretty misguided in all honesty. I wasn't a huge fan of 2's combat and if 3 is really dropping Taylor then there just isn't anything for me to stick around for. Hell, I thought Scalebound looked like ass from the start so them possibly cribbing from that doesn't help matters.

Excerpted from the Platinumgames Blog:
We sprinkled a lot of new elements throughout the frenetic pacing. I’d like to talk a bit about one of those, a new featured mechanic that lets you control Infernal Demons, called “Demon Slave.”
Unlike the Climax Summons of previous games that automatically defeated enemies and returned to Inferno, this mechanic lets players control demons during gameplay and unleash a host of intuitive actions. Each demon’s abilities vary and the kinds of abilities that are advantageous in a certain situation can change at any time. Just how many are there? What else can you do? Well, there’s a lot more I’d like to tell you, but I have to stop here for now. However, there’s a lot of info hidden in the trailer that I didn’t go into here, so please consider watching it again until the next announcement.
It would appear that Bayo 3 is the natural evolution of having the player wailing on gigantic enemies in a way that makes sense and not just "puny superbeing hits weak points of gigantic being really hard many times!".

So now you don't just briefly summon the appendages of your demons via Wicked Weaves (Bayo 1) or for an extended amount of time via Umbran Climax (Bayo 2).

Now the big boys actually get to come out and play (will we be able to summon Bowser?). Funnily enough Capcom sort of beat them to the punch with Monster Hunter Rise's Wyvern Riding earlier this year...

If I had to speculate, pressing down on the dpad would swap between another customizable set of 3 other demons.

Other thoughts based on what's shown:

1. I assume the new enemies are based on East Asian mythology and not the Judeo-Christian angels and demons. Note the talisman-looking flap on its chin and the swirly cloud motif on its armour pieces. Oh and that belly full of souls jiggles like jello.
obyE6G7.jpg

2. The green ectoplasmic substance you see in them are probably human souls and they get sent flying out when the host body gets smashed.
o3j0Hat.jpg

1HLcumy.jpg

3. Torture Attack icons are now contextual (and multi!), like the iron maiden icon or the skull missile. Also, they now show up near the position of the enemy they're meant for. Might mean we can now target enemies for TAs with the lock-on system.

4. It seems that instead of Umbran Climax, now we have what's essentially a Devil Trigger (DMC) form. Since there's a butterfly icon at the top left indicating this form, I'd assume she has at least one other form she can take on, if not quite a few more. Not sure what resource its draining though.

5. Default guns now have three barrels and a charge shot. Thanks Rodin!

6. Looks like she spent some time at Harajuku before showing up to save the day. The huge hair bow on her waist seems inspired by traditional wear?

7. Love the interactivity with the environment and objects. While there were already plenty of breakables in Bayonetta, here we have things like the huge outdoors screen getting smashed after a wall splat:
GmdFU55.jpg

Lots of enemies and vehicles getting swept up in a demonic tornado before getting set on fire.
8L842q7.jpg

8. Based on the UI we can see that these Demon Slaves have at least four different attacks: Punch button (light attack), Kick button (heavy attack), Gun button (non-physical attack) and Special button (utility, like the web shot seen at the end). The demon bird is shown performing both summoned feathers and the tornado using the Gun button, so I think the Demon Slave system is going to be fairly robust and not a minigame-esque thing that Kamiya loves to include when he's directing.

Edit: Accidentally posted before I even finished a paragraph.

Last edited:
Top Bottom