• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BBC: Germany most popular country in the world

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fritz

Not in Spain, or Italy, or France, or England, or Portugal, or.......NO, just no.

tumblr_m6celozrO31rwl8u5o1_400.gif

massoluk

Banned
This must be rigged. Canada was robbed. Nobody hates Canada, except for some weirdo in US with Canadian jokes fetish.

soepje

This is not fair, Germany had two entries. One as itself and one as part of the EU. I´d say we disqualify Germany.

This must be rigged. Canada was robbed. Nobody hates Canada, except for some weirdo in US with Canadian jokes fetish.

Nobody hates Canada just like how nobody hates the Columbus Blue Jackets. They do so little of importance that they slip below the radar.

Don't take it personally, I am a fan of the Blue Jackets. Just, I know how it is.

why do smaller countries always get the shaft in these polls?
also where's italy? or spain?

not that I complain; we like being for ourselves

Ikael

Who thinks North Korea is a positive influence on the world?

Some days ago I had a discussion with one guy about a TV debate where a North Korean representative defended the regime. He was all like "NK guys are just misunderstood, the west is just as evil and do bad things as well yet noone call them on that, so much hypocrisy". He is a good guy, but I wanted to punch his face right there for being so naive and stupid.

Raiden

Banned
Yeah, sure.

I always see these polls claiming this and that. But then i remember i never ever participated in one of them either.

And neither did anyone else.

Acorn

Yeah, sure.

I always see these polls claiming this and that. But then i remember i never ever participated in one of them either.

And neither did anyone else.

That would be because most people ignore them even if they are offered the chance to complete them.

Have you never had an annoying phone call about taking part in a survey? Or a person on the street?

Raiden

Banned
That would be because most people ignore them even if they are offered the chance to complete them.

Have you never had an annoying phone call about taking part in a survey? Or a person on the street?

Good point.

I do ignore most of that stuff :p

Socreges

Banned
Nobody hates Canada just like how nobody hates the Columbus Blue Jackets. They do so little of importance that they slip below the radar.

Don't take it personally, I am a fan of the Blue Jackets. Just, I know how it is.
Hmm, sounds like Canada needs to invade more countries. Our peacekeeping and diplomatic efforts do nothing.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
yay us! yay us! yay us!

Hmm, sounds like Canada needs to invade more countries. Our peacekeeping and diplomatic efforts do nothing.

My Canadian homie, may I put all joking aside and be serious on this topic? *The following is strictly opinion based on how I feel personally, and I am sensitive to others' points of view on the matter.*

I believe Canada is pretty much culturally identical to mainstream United States (relatively speaking.) Now, you and I know there are many differences in our cultures, but people around the world probably couldn't recognize them. Much like how New Zealand and Australia appear to us in the Western Hemisphere.

The United States' culture is beloved around the world. However, the US since WWII has assumed the role of the largest stabilizing force in the West, which keeps the US very militaristic in nature. As a result, people perceive a dark side to the US. Canada is free from the stigma of militarism. They mind their own business for the most part while contributing to worldwide development. It's pretty awesome.

Yet, where Australia, UK, Ireland, and the US have a strong cultural identity... when it comes to Canada, I can't readily identify one. I mean no disrespect at all and not to say there isn't a strong cultural identity that might be apparent to others. It's a lovely country full of great people.

It's a trade-off, I suppose. The US exerts great cultural influence, as many of the most popular forms of entertainment in the last 100 years have origins in the US. On the other hand, I sometimes feel as if the US is still kind of in a transition period since the Cold War. We still have a huge bloated military and a policy of world policing that seriously hurts the US reputation abroad.

Canada's reputation is all the good without the bad. Gotta love it.

My Canadian homie, may I put all joking aside and be serious on this topic? *The following is strictly opinion based on how I feel personally, and I am sensitive to others' points of view on the matter.*

I believe Canada is pretty much culturally identical to mainstream United States (relatively speaking.) Now, you and I know there are many differences in our cultures, but people around the world probably couldn't recognize them. Much like how New Zealand and Australia appear to us in the Western Hemisphere.

The United States' culture is beloved around the world. However, the US since WWII has assumed the role of the largest stabilizing force in the West, which keeps the US very militaristic in nature. As a result, people perceive a dark side to the US. Canada is free from the stigma of militarism. They mind their own business for the most part while contributing to worldwide development. It's pretty awesome.

Yet, where Australia, UK, Ireland, and the US have a strong cultural identity... when it comes to Canada, I can't readily identify one. I mean no disrespect at all and not to say there isn't a strong cultural identity that might be apparent to others. It's a lovely country full of great people.

It's a trade-off, I suppose. The US exerts great cultural influence, as many of the most popular forms of entertainment in the last 100 years have origins in the US. On the other hand, I sometimes feel as if the US is still kind of in a transition period since the Cold War. We still have a huge bloated military and a policy of world policing that seriously hurts the US reputation abroad.

Canada's reputation is all the good without the bad. Gotta love it.

to be honest, does canada even have a cultural identity? i can't think of anything, that's mainstream known, that people wlil say, oh yeah, that's canadian.

Binabik15

Tell that to the meanies making fun of us all the time. :(

We`re still cool with France, though, that's basically all I need. I love you guys and your quick to travel to beaches!

Fritz

Yeah but if you even think of stepping on the grass, they'll beat your ass.

I think your mixing us up with the UK here. Germans go hard on their parks and lawns. Gras is there to lie on it, preferably naked. Gotta go lay down now

Flek

Banned
as a german i dont get whats soooo cool about germany that we placed 1 but ok thankyou. I would have put norway on 1 or so

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom