• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BBC: Wayne Couzens given whole-life sentence

Star-Lord

A Met Police officer who murdered Sarah Everard after kidnapping her under the guise of an arrest has been sentenced to a whole-life prison term.

Wayne Couzens abducted the 33-year-old as she walked home from a friend's house in south London on 3 March.

During the sentencing of Couzens, the judge said the case was "devastating, tragic and wholly brutal".

Ms Everard's family said they were relieved by the fact that Couzens would die in jail.

This story was, and still is, huge news here in the UK. There’s an investigation still ongoing into vetting new recruits. Just goes to prove that even here, those sworn to uphold the law think they’re above it - but they ain’t. Glad that he’ll die inside.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Pw8y.gif

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
No surprise from me. Although most cops are good, I'm never surprised when I hear cops going rogue wild. Way too much being amped up macho man, a badge, a gun, and general good physical shape so they can take on anyone with their psycho attitude.

You don't see your typical H&R Block tax guy or mortgage manager going ape shit on people.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
You don't see your typical H&R Block tax guy or mortgage manager going ape shit on people.
True, but your average H&R and broker are not dealing with their 435th domestic call of the year, where you're put on edge and always expecting violent emotions more often than not. Shit wears on you in a thankless job. Most can handle it, but unforeseen psychological changes do occur in people. (Not talking about this case, but in general).

Star-Lord

No surprise from me. Although most cops are good, I'm never surprised when I hear cops going rogue wild. Way too much being amped up macho man, a badge, a gun, and general good physical shape so they can take on anyone with their psycho attitude.
We’re becoming way too American in our approach to policing. You see it more and more on the news, an officer letting the power go to their heads. There was a story in the last few years about a young black man who died in custody after being beaten, and then ignored, by on-duty officers. And there was a story earlier this year about an officer who, whilst drunk on duty, assaulted four women.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
True, but your average H&R and broker are not dealing with their 435th domestic call of the year, where you're put on edge and always expecting violent emotions more often than not. Shit wears on you in a thankless job. Most can handle it, but unforeseen psychological changes do occur in people. (Not talking about this case, but in general).
I get what you're saying.

But that would seem more like a pissed off cop going Rambo shooting sketchy looking guys on the sidewalk. Not kidnapping innocent women with a badge and murder.

Go_Ly_Dow

Truly horrible man and am glad he will never see the light of day again.

I just wish there was as much of as discussion and spotlight placed on all the kids being killed in the UK at the moment by other kids or adults, associated to what appears to be a glorification of gang culture.

Kimahri

Banned
Good. I don't wish death penalty upon him, I rather hope his time is so inhuman he himself ends up wanting the death penalty.

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
Why should this guy get the death penalty according to some of you? I would always be against it, the justice system makes mistakes and it's just savage. We're not in the dark ages any more.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Why should this guy get the death penalty according to some of you? I would always be against it, the justice system makes mistakes and it's just savage. We're not in the dark ages any more.
Because some people are proven to have done things that are so heinous that they do not deserve to live out their lives in relative peace and isolation while the taxpayers pay for their meals and housing. In cases like this where guilt is known for a fact and where the person is shown to have done something inhumane and unimaginably evil they can and should just be put to death in my opinion.

I only endorse this in the most extreme cases where guilt is 100% sure, but this qualifies. This dude is a monster. What he did to that poor woman was beyond the pale. Add to that the fact that he did it while abusing the trust and authority that was given to him by the people he was sworn to protect? That is just a whole other level of evil. The dude deserves the death penalty in my opinion, but I understand why it is not a thing in many areas of the world.

Last edited:

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
Because some people are proven to have done things that are so heinous that they do not deserve to live out their lives in relative peace and isolation while the taxpayers pay for their meals and housing. In cases like this where guilt is known for a fact and where the person is shown to have done something inhumane and unimaginably evil they can and should just be put to death in my opinion.

I only endorse this in the most extreme cases where guilt is 100% sure, but this qualifies. This dude is a monster. What he did to that poor woman was beyond the pale. Add to that the fact that he did it while abusing the trust and authority that was given to him by the people he was sworn to protect? That is just a whole other level of evil. The dude deserves the death penalty in my opinion, but I understand why it is not a thing in many areas of the world.

I get the sentiment. But can you ever be 100% sure? So many mistakes have been made in the past. And the result of the death penalty is that you have facilities where you kill humans as part of your justice system. That just feels barbaric to me.

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
I get the sentiment. But can you ever be 100% sure?
In this case here? Yes. There is a waterfall of proof that shows that he did this and he even admitted that he did it. Once again I would only support the death penalty in cases like this where the persons guilt is a proven fact either by evidence or by their own admission. This guy used his authority as a police officer to stop her, "arrest" her, rape her, strangle her to death, set her body on fire, and then stuff what was left into a gym bag to be left in the woods. The evidence shows that. They have video of him interacting with her and arresting her. They have the physical evidence of his involvement and they have his own admission of guilt.

Once again I get why you and others are against the death penalty in principle and in practicality. But in cases like this where guilt is known for a fact and that the person is to have done something this heinous I would not shed a single tear if they sentenced this criminal to death. If this was a case based on circumstantial evidence and hearsay and the person was sentenced to death I would be on you side, but that isn't what happened here. This guy is more monster than man for what he did.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I only support the death penalty in extreme cases where the guilt of the person is completely proven, but this case would definitely qualify for me. If this had happened in certain parts of the US the guy likely would have have gotten exactly that.
Death Penalty is probably way lower sentence than to life in prison forever, let's be real. It's good that it does not exist in most of the world, if you do something like this, let's enjoy living hell, till you die.

Boss Mog

He said he didn't think he should have to die in prison and I agree with him. If it were up to me he would be executed immediately. Punishments should be automatically doubled for any person in a position of trust (police, teachers, healthcare workers, etc...). Targeting society's most vulnerable (children, the elderly, the mentally or physically impaired) should also land you an automatic doubling of your sentence. The biggest problem with Western society today is the laxist attitude toward violent criminals with slap on the wrist sentences or "catch and release".

Star-Lord

The biggest problem with Western society today is the laxist attitude toward violent criminals with slap on the wrist sentences or "catch and release".
Do you honestly think a whole life sentence is a mere slap on the wrist? It’s exactly what it says on the tin. He ain’t going anywhere. He won’t be given parole or released on license. He will spend every minute that remains of his life behind bars. Putting him to death gives him the easy way out. I, for one, take great pleasure in the thought of him never being free again.

Boss Mog

Do you honestly think a whole life sentence is a mere slap on the wrist? It’s exactly what it says on the tin. He ain’t going anywhere. He won’t be given parole or released on license. He will spend every minute that remains of his life behind bars. Putting him to death gives him the easy way out. I, for one, take great pleasure in the thought of him never being free again.
I wasn't specifically talking about this case. There's plenty on instances of violent criminals (not necessarily murderers) given slap on the wrist sentences or being released almost immediately upon arrest.

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
I wasn't specifically talking about this case. There's plenty on instances of violent criminals (not necessarily murderers) given slap on the wrist sentences or being released almost immediately upon arrest.

Yeah the justice system is fucked up sometimes. Here we had a prominent politician murdered a decade ago and the guy killing him is already out. Crazy.

Kenpachii

put webcams in his jail cell so everybody can watch him suffer.

Anyway good idea next time for people that get picked up by police. to make a picture of there face and send it to friends or whatever else with his name and then move along. if not call the cops while standing next towards the cop so more show up.

Last edited:

jufonuk

not tag worthy
100% justified. What this guy did to her was monstrous.

Lose the key while your at it.
Ok don’t mean to sound daily mail when I say this but why does he get a whole life sentence and sometimes you get other murderers who get less?
They obviously are making an example of him.

those convicted of murder not man slaughter. I’m talking pre meditated murder.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
Ok don’t mean to sound daily mail when I say this but why does he get a whole life sentence and sometimes you get other murderers who get less?
They obviously are making an example of him.

those convicted of murder not man slaughter. I’m talking pre meditated murder.
Il guessing it’s because he was a policeman aka a position of public trust and authority.

Top Bottom