• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody on demand is fucking great ("Netflix for fitness")

Status
Not open for further replies.

Majestad

Banned
So there's a new streaming service and it is fucking great. Beachbody is a company known for having excellent at-home fitness programs, like P90X and Insanity (among many others).

This new service let's you stream complete workouts and the whole program (including bonus workouts) without any ads and with a very clean interface. It also lets you download pdfs of the nutrition guides and worksheets so you can keep track of everything.

I signed up a week ago and have been doing the new P90X3 and I'm very impressed with this.

If anyone wants to get in shape for summer, I seriously recommend giving this a shot. I think it costs like $12 monthly (first month free) and you have a big library of programs and workouts to choose from. It's an insane deal considering that each of the programs by themselves are like $120.

http://club.teambeachbody.com/

mm04

Probably a good deal. I've purchased 1 through 3 over the last 3+ years. I ended up ripping all the DVDs and placing the files on Onedrive to stream. I don't regret the purchases at all. I do enjoy X3 quite a bit.

Having worked for BeachBody before (Corp and sales), I hate the company with a passion but this seems like an awesome idea and a great deal. That's very big for me to say that.

jwk94

Hmm. I'm terribly out of shape (as in I struggle to life anything over the bar when doing bench presses) would they have something as a good starting point for me to get fit this summer?

iosefe

i can vouch for the effectiveness of T25, i'd say it's a good springboard for the Beachbody workouts. personally lost over 20 doing Alpha and Beta

Majestad

Banned
Hmm. I'm terribly out of shape (as in I struggle to life anything over the bar when doing bench presses) would they have something as a good starting point for me to get fit this summer?

They have a lot of options and beginners programs as well. You can even do P90X but with modified moves.

mm04

The advice I'd give you is that you can do any of these workouts, as long as you modify the exercises and pace yourself. Press the pause button if you need to. Do NOT try and keep up with the folks on the videos. Any effort is better than no effort.

Sounds awesome even though I'm not these kinds of fitness routines (I'm never inspired enough to keep it up because I don't have much fun in the long-term).

entremet

Sounds awesome even though I'm not these kinds of fitness routines (I'm never inspired enough to keep it up because I don't have much fun in the long-term).
I just do the yoga and stretching. I prefer a traditional gym, but the yoga is fun although long.

Mimosa97

How does it work ? You just stream a video and start training in your living room ? Do you need any specific equipment ?

nubbe

$40/3 month is pretty hefty

I'd rather just pay €60 for the Xbone version

but you can't put a price on your health

Mimosa97

No specific stuff, but depending o. The pegram you would need a mat, dumbbells, and/or resistance bands

I've never used these outside of a gym.

I go run almost everyday before going to work but I feel like it's not enough. I'm in pretty okay shape but I feel like I lost a lot of muscle during the last year. I don't know where to start to get it back ... eh :(

Majestad

Banned
How does it work ? You just stream a video and start training in your living room ? Do you need any specific equipment ?

Since these are at home workouts, you need very basic stuff. At most you'll need some dumbbells and a pull up bar for the more intense programs like P90X. The Insanity series is a lot of bodyweight exercises, so you barely need anything.

Majestad

Banned
I pay $50/month for a gym membership right now. $40/3 months is something I can get on board with

Not to mention that by themselves, these programs are like $120 each. Since the programs are usually 3 months long, $12 monthly for what could be life-changing results is an incredible deal.

GorillaJu

Beach body? Fuck that body shaming shit. If I go to the beach, I'm a beach body. I don't have to have an unrealistic robot body to be proud of who I am.

Edit: This is a joke.

Most of this programs tend to over-stress your body , which is why i don't think they are great entry points.

I would say the first part of T25 (i think its the first 4 weeks) is great for beginners. It's mostly cardio-based but it will help your body to get into exercising once again. Then you can adjust yourself.

And why is that (not enough inspiration) ? Because you dont see the results , right ?

nynt9

$40/3 month is pretty hefty

I'd rather just pay €60 for the Xbone version

but you can't put a price on your health

The Xbone version lacks a lot of the programs and even for the ones that are there it doesn't have all the videos for a given program.

Mimosa97

Since these are at home workouts, you need very basic stuff. At most you'll need some dumbbells and a pull up bar for the more intense programs like P90X. The Insanity series is a lot of bodyweight exercises, so you barely need anything.

I don't have a pull up bar and I can't install one.

Do you think P90X would be a good program to start ? It looks too ... Even though I run a lot and I'm in okay shape I've never done this kind of stuff.

nubbe

Do you think P90X would be a good program to start ? It looks too ... Even though I run a lot and I'm in okay shape I've never done this kind of stuff.

P90X is excellent
just show up and do what you can

They have band moves to replace pull up bars
Wx6g5oB.jpg

Might give this a shot in order to try out Body Beast.

I've already got P90X, Insanity, and P90X3, but as with any DVD, the discs get scratched up super quickly. A couple of my Insanity discs barely work anymore.

I think I'm done buying this stuff as discs.

Surely you can press more then 20kg?!

If that is to hard i suggest starting out with something like p90x, it has alternate move set for beginners

Mesoian

I wish they would update their app. The app seems like the best way to do this stuff on the fly, but it's so behind the times when it comes to stuff like workout recording.

Bleepey

Beach body? Fuck that body shaming shit. If I go to the beach, I'm a beach body. I don't have to have an unrealistic robot body to be proud of who I am.

Edit: This is a joke.

Shhh don't tell the internet horde who insist it's not a real term!

It comes across like a pyramid scheme in business and there's just a lot of stuff I dislike that I'm not sure I can talk about as far as selling methods. I don't think this is the right thread.

The BeachBody Coach stuff, paired with Shakeology and all that other horeshit, definitely strikes me as pyramid-schemey.

That's why I just buy the programs. I don't buy any supplements, drinks, or equipment from BeachBody.

Noks415

I'm approximately one month away from finishing my P90(basic not the X series) workout, Ive also been doing some basic free weight exercises. There's definitely been an improvement in my strength and appearance , but I think I've hit a plateau ,the p90 is starting to get too easy. Can anyone here attest to the effectiveness of the P90X3 program or would they recommend another beachbody program?

It always amazes me people pay for this sort of thing. Like a couple hours of research will gain you all the information needed to get fit (the rest is actually doing it). I guess some people just need to be told what to do though, rather than figure it out themselves.

entremet

It always amazes me people pay for this sort of thing. Like a couple hours of research will gain you all the information needed to get fit. I guess some people just need to be told what to do though, rather than figure it out themselves.

Beachbody's success is having the "coach" guiding you along.

Many people need that. Especially if they've been couch potatoes for a while.

All their coaches are pretty motivating and inspiring. That connects to people.

It works too. I have a friend that has a nice 4 pack from doing Insanity stuff on and off for years.

Einbroch

Banned
It always amazes me people pay for this sort of thing. Like a couple hours of research will gain you all the information needed to get fit. I guess some people just need to be told what to do though, rather than figure it out themselves.

It's the structure.

If I just go "I'm going to the gym", I'll start to give up once I get tired. Having a dedicated program where you know when you're done is enough. I did P90X once and loved it. I need to get back to it, and since I lost my DVDs, this is perfect.

Tacitus_

It always amazes me people pay for this sort of thing. Like a couple hours of research will gain you all the information needed to get fit (the rest is actually doing it). I guess some people just need to be told what to do though, rather than figure it out themselves.

It's nice to have the guys showing the moves on screen and the leader pumping you up.

Wiktor

For many people time is more valuable than money. And those programms are generally really well thought out and presented extremely well. Horton alone is worth the price. He's ridiculously entertaining.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Knowing how expensive this shit usually is 'cause I wanted to check it out at one time, this sounds like a great deal. I'm probably in, even if I'm lacking all equipment at home.

Since I also just today started to work out a bit in a studio again, it seems like a good idea to take a part of that home.

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
I've researched dieting to death but I'd like to hear from y'all: Will a butter roll in the morning prevent me from getting that bod? LOL I need my butter rolls! Shieeeeeeeeeeeeet.

Edit: Rereading what I wrote doesn't sound like I understand dieting at all, but I do. I just want someone to lie to me and tell me that white bread butter rolls are okay and don't spike my insulin. :(

Majestad

Banned

Go to your closest Sports Authority or Dick's Sporting Goods and buy the resistance bands they have there. They are pretty cheap (around $13 each) and durable. The color determines the amount of tension each one has. For example, yellow is 70 pounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom