• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody on demand is fucking great ("Netflix for fitness")

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is awesome. Yes p90x does work very well, but you must be committed. I haven't needed the program for a few years, but I'm interested in the p90x3 for quick workouts before work. Going to Florida at the beginning of July, might have to use this for the next two months lol.

Majestad

Banned
Trying this out. Hopefully I can pull this up on my PS4, but I have thirty days to try it out, eh?

I stream the workouts from the PS4 browser and it works perfectly. Great video quality and almost no lag (compared to chrome casting the video from a laptop to the TV).

Mimosa97

Go to your closest Sports Authority or Dick's Sporting Goods and buy the resistance bands they have there. They are pretty cheap (around $13 each) and durable. The color determines the amount of tension each one has. For example, yellow is 70 pounds.

I live in Montreal :D We don't have these over here.

Plus I live downtown and shit is too expensive so I mostly do my shopping online

Majestad

Banned
I live in Montreal :D We don't have these over here.

Plus I live downtown and shit is too expensive so I mostly do my shopping online

Haha, then look for something on amazon and check that the reviews are good. You want good resistance bands since cheap/bad ones can snap and hit you hard.

Mimosa97

Haha, then look for something on amazon and check that the reviews are good. You want good resistance bands since cheap/bad ones can snap and hit you hard.

Eh ... I just bought that kit for 30$. Hope it's good. Couldn't be bothered with looking for better deals.

Thank you for you help :)

Guevara

This sounds really cool. I just wish the app was as ubiquitous as Netflix (for example: worked on my PS4). P90X is legit.

blackflag

The BeachBody Coach stuff, paired with Shakeology and all that other horeshit, definitely strikes me as pyramid-schemey.

That's why I just buy the programs. I don't buy any supplements, drinks, or equipment from BeachBody.

It definitely is a pyramid scheme thing. I have a friend that does it.

If they're not going to offer their entire lineup I'm not interested.

Body Beast is only $50. Think I'll just go ahead and pick it up.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
I hope so. It's the one I've really been wanting to try.

Body Beast included in the "Purchased Workouts" section, along with newer workouts like PiYo and Focus T25. I think Insanity Max: 30 is being added to that section soon as well. The section gives you access to workout programs you already own. I don't know why Body Beast isn't in the "normal" section -- maybe it still sells well enough compared to the "included" workout programs that BB doesn't want to put it there yet.

Body Beast included in the "Purchased Workouts" section, along with newer workouts like PiYo and Focus T25. I think Insanity Max: 30 is being added to that section soon as well. The section gives you access to workout programs you already own. I don't know why Body Beast isn't in the "normal" section -- maybe it still sells well enough compared to the "included" workout programs that BB doesn't want to put it there yet.

It's pretty misleading that it's not available yet, considering it shows up multiple times in the promotional video they have on YouTube.

Lemaitre

Banned
This new web forum advertising is way better then your old infomercials. Thanks for the thread!

lol. My thoughts exactly. Funny how some threads that basically advertise some services/websites are locked and shut down rather quickly, but at other times it's allowed. I feel that there should be some kind of policy toward it to be more consistent on GAF.

Anyways, for me, these videos and streaming sites are a waste of time and money. Perhaps for some it motivates them to work out which is good, but often people shell out the money only to stop and/or not use said videos.

lol. My thoughts exactly. Funny how some threads that basically advertise some services/websites are locked and shut down rather quickly, but at other times it's allowed. I feel that there should be some kind of policy toward it to be more consistent on GAF.

Anyways, for me, these videos and streaming sites are a waste of time and money. Perhaps for some it motivates them to work out which is good, but often people shell out the money only to stop and/or not use said videos.

It's not like the OP posted a link to his special Team BeachBody page or asked anyone to enter a special referral code.

It's pretty easy to distinguish between a legitimate thread about a service someone likes and a blatant shilling/pyramid scheme thread.

Lemaitre

Banned
It's not like the OP posted a link to his special Team BeachBody page or asked anyone to enter a special referral code.

It's pretty easy to distinguish between a legitimate thread about a service someone likes and a blatant shilling/pyramid scheme thread.

I would disagree with that. There have been some instances where someone is merely sharing a new service and due to the cynicism of the people in the thread it becomes locked.

Majestad

Banned

WTF? So we should stop allowing threads of people who are legitimately excited about something and want others to check it out because they believe it is a good value? Gtfo.

norm9

Awesome. I only have some adjustable weights but I'm going to look into resistance bands. I think not having the equipment or a suitable substitute is a big hurdle (and good excuse) for not working out.

mikeGFG

Banned
WTF? So we should stop allowing threads of people who are legitimately excited about something and want others to check it out because they believe it is a good value? Gtfo.

Beachbody is known for aggressive print and internet marketing, especially with the release of their new Insanity Max 30 workout.

I've seen compensated articles, blogs and testimonials everywhere lately-- and the first post reads like typical astroturfing IMO

Majestad

Banned
Beachbody is known for aggressive print and internet marketing, especially with the release of their new Insanity Max 30 workout.

I've seen compensated articles, blogs and testimonials everywhere lately-- and the first post reads like typical astroturfing IMO

Like I said, what is the difference with legitimately being excited about a good product then?

The BeachBody Coach stuff, paired with Shakeology and all that other horeshit, definitely strikes me as pyramid-schemey.

That's why I just buy the programs. I don't buy any supplements, drinks, or equipment from BeachBody.

Well when I was on the corp side, my dept got axed because upsells and equipment sales took a nosedive so... (I was something like an astroturfer and promoter)

And when I was on the sales side. I had to guilt people into buying the shit or if I fell behind on metrics I'd be fired.

Majestad

Banned
Lmao. Just do yourself a favor, scrap that crap and just go to the gym.

Typical mentality of an ignorant, narrow-minded meathead.

A lot of the people that do these at home programs are probably in better shape and happier than you.

grumble

Typical mentality of an ignorant, narrow-minded meathead.

Sure a little narrow minded but here's the rub:

1. Home workout programs almost always have issues due to the limited equipment. The hamstrings and lower back for example are usually underworked, as are the traps. There are ways to do it but they are so inferior to the equipment available at a gym that it's kind of silly not to go.

2. Much of the 'sell' behind beach body programs and most fitness programs relies on the idea of muscle confusion. Muscle confusion doesn't work. The whole point is to perform an exercise and increase the intensity over time; switching it up every couple of weeks puts you back into a neural retraining period where you're being submaximally worked, and more effective exercises are regularly subbed out for worse ones for variety.

3. Everyone thinks that whatever fitness program they did is just the best because it is both the first time they've ever really exercised hard and consistently and their body is very unfit to start. The programming could be pretty crap and they'd still get very good gains... For a while.

4. These programs encourage the use of expensive proprietary nutritional supplements and their dietary advice is so-so. There is a clear conflict of interest where they are advantaged by you buying their crap.

They have advantages:

1. They make you exercise hard. A lot of people will slack or not be consistent if they don't have the videos and the schedule.

2. They allow people with zero knowledge and no willingness to learn to get in better shape, even if it's suboptimal.

3. It's a well presented package and entertaining, and the best program is one that you'll actually do.

So even if someone is usually better off getting strong at the barbell lifts in a systematic and progressive way, layering in some conditioning and ancillary exercises later in to round things out, and eating a sensible diet, some people just won't do it and p90x beats the treadmill. Same thing with crossfit. For those people this service is very useful.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Most of the disadvantages you list are basically you saying "if you're not doing heavy weight training, you're wasting your time". Allow me to retort :)

- not everyone has the time to go to a gym. i make sure I have about an hour a day for workouts. The closest gym is 20 minutes away. With everything else I have to do each day, I just can't get an effective gym workout in. So for me, home workouts are really the only option.
- heavy weight training requires instruction. You can be seriously injured if your form is bad, and that means having a knowledgeable coach available to teach you initially as well as to check on you periodically. Yeah, you can try without, but you're taking a risk especially as a beginner. And if your bro isn't a certified personal trainer you might learn some bad habits from him, so you need to be sure you learn from someone who knows what they're doing.
- not all gyms are the same, but many lifting gyms have an unappealing culture. They can be intimidating or even harassing, regardless of your gender. Many people want to get fit but don't want to be insulted, leered at, harassed or even just be around "meatheads", even if it's just a fear of any of that happening or a preconceived notion that might. And it does happen at some gyms, especially in the weightlifting area.

Now certainly these are all things that aren't going to always apply to everyone or every gym, but they are barriers that home workouts don't necessarily have. And pushing play beats loafing on the couch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom