• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Because Canada: Justin Trudeau kayaks over to a family to discuss climate change

Trudeau is a great PR figurehead/marketing tool (domestically and to the world) representing a large sociopolitical demographic in Canadian society.

It's probably good for business and morale in the times of Trump. Not sure what to make of him as a political executive—which should mean something since he's got a lot of power in Canada's Parliamentary system.

In any case, Canada is a hell of a challenge, small market, big geography, heavy regional cultural differences.

Tuck

While I can appreciate the general point of the article, its silly to expect countries to simply stop producing oil with a snap of their fingers. The point is to ween off oil, not to go cold turkey. The latter is not feasible by any metric - any politician who tried would be booted out immediately.

Certainly, Trudeau is very good at looking good, while I'm quite mixed on his actual performance. But no, i don't expect him to single handledly dismantle the canadian oil industry in a year.

Don't they have a supermajority in parliament to just ram it through, regardless of what the other parties think?

It's just called a majority here ;)

Sure they could, but why would they? PR is an issue that about 25% are passionate about and the rest eithe have a different horse or don't care.

Also unilaterally changing the voting system isn't something I'd imagine any party would do.

Oil is not a dying industry...where do people get these ideas from?

Demand is projected to grow until the 2030s to 2040s.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-bp-outlook-idUSKBN1591QQ

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...oil-company-thinks-demand-may-peak-in-5-years

http://fortune.com/2016/11/16/oil-demand-2040/

What we can do is reduce emissions by using new emissions reduction tech and taper off the resource. Yes oil demand will peak one day, the writing is on the wall...but it's still quite a ways away.

The industry will always over-project their main product, just like oil companies have been projecting renewables to never take off in their future-casts.

And your middle source just said that peak oil can ben between 5-15 years off, with reasons to view a peak in the short term and a decline in global use by 2030's

Not to say that oil is dying, that's silly because we use it in so much product. I doubt oil demand will be growing until 2040, that's insanely optimistic.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Real life is frightening me with how much like a Hollywood movie everything is now - right up to the makeup and casting choices.

Super kind and intelligent do-good Hero character you're supposed to love:
Lets cast a handsome AF fit dude who's old enough to have clout and be believed when he speaks on a subject but young enough to fit in with college aged kids and have the same kinds of conversations to a different audience than the elected reps in his govt.

Dopey but dangerous bad guy who's out for himself and willing to ruin everything to get his:
Lets cast the grossest blob of a human being we can find. He should be an established conflict starter who is known for appealing to the worst in people and being openly abrasive and insulting. Also orange.

djkimothy

Why does it have to be just Trump?

We have other independents like Sanders to draw inspiration from. As long as they don't mess with human rights, I'll welcome an outsider over a hypocrite politician any day.

There it is. I knew his name would pop up in this thread. LOL

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Was he wearing his Kelly & Ryan socks he got earlier that day?

TBrGL22l.jpg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyGCBqjQMvE

Ac30

It's just called a majority here ;)

Sure they could, but why would they? PR is an issue that about 25% are passionate about and the rest eithe have a different horse or don't care.

Also unilaterally changing the voting system isn't something I'd imagine any party would do.

I mean, I understand why they don't do it (I watched them sweep into power in 2015 when I still lived in Canada and it was awesome to see) but it also leaves the door open to another Conservative majority, which they probably wouldn't ever achieve under PR, since some sort of NDP/Liberal coalition seems a more likely outcome to me. FPTP pop. vote to seat count is wack.

Ah, I miss it already

Personally I prefer Governments to have mandates and be able to act on them. I don't want to spend a year without Government like Spain did. I'm not in favour of changing the voting system just to keep a certain party out of power. I think that's a particularly rich position for the 3rd place party to take.

jstripes

Banned
Trudeau is a great PR figurehead/marketing tool (domestically and to the world) representing a large sociopolitical demographic in Canadian society.

It's probably good for business and morale in the times of Trump. Not sure what to make of him as a political executive—which should mean something since he's got a lot of power in Canada's Parliamentary system.

In any case, Canada is a hell of a challenge, small market, big geography, heavy regional cultural differences.

Canada doesn't have an executive branch. The PM's job is to guide policy.

The industry will always over-project their main product, just like oil companies have been projecting renewables to never take off in their future-casts.

And your middle source just said that peak oil can ben between 5-15 years off, with reasons to view a peak in the short term and a decline in global use by 2030's

Not to say that oil is dying, that's silly because we use it in so much product. I doubt oil demand will be growing until 2040, that's insanely optimistic.

The 5 year projection is extremely optimistic (and it was done by shell btw). All expert analysis point to oil demand peaking sometime in 2030s. That's even with clean energy variables being accelerated. Of course the hope is we get further acceleration in the clean tech area, to get the peak oil demand to occur earlier.

Regardless, that industry is not dying anytime soon and any pragmatic leader would and should leverage it. Of course there is a smart way to do that, and that's to incrementally reduce the impacts from the oil sector by implementing carbon reduction policies (along with billions in R&D investment in clean tech).

That's exactly what the Trudeau government is doing actually. These "all talk" and "hypocritical" posts are laughable. There's so many variables involved. All the info is available online on what the government plans to do short and long term, and these policies for the most part are backed up by data (an election promise btw).

Some people here need to do at least a bit of research on energy and environmental policy and what that technically entails before posting complete nonsense

Canada doesn't have an executive branch. The PM's job is to guide policy.

Yes, yes, that power is formally vested in the Crown. By constitutional convention the PM as leader of the party making up the majority government, in concert with the tradition/reality of party discipline, and various other conventions, ensures the PM's legislative agenda has a reasonably easy path to Royal assent. The PM and their Cabinet is a defacto executive branch in majority govenrments.

CazTGG

Can't they take O'Leary too or is he back in America already, the patriotic Canadian that he is

Kevin O'Leary: Just Visiting.

Supposedly he'll be involved during the 2019 campaign but in what capacity is currently unknown.

a916

Because at the moment, too much dependency on oil has been setup by the Fed Conservatives for over a decade, even longer provincial in some provinces.

You can't just pull the plug out right, but you can transition the economy to other forms of energy, while bringing down consumption and usage of oil and putting more emphasis on R&D that reduces emissions even more.

I wish we could just go 100% clean tomorrow, but we can't and we won't. The goal is to work on it now though.

DING DING DING, we have a winner. He's doing his best to move forward in a healthy way, he's trying to appease everyone which is what you want your leader to do. He's acknowledged Oil is not the future, but to pull the plug is super foolish. It's the smart way to do it, swallow the bitter pill now for the future.

While I can appreciate the general point of the article, its silly to expect countries to simply stop producing oil with a snap of their fingers. The point is to ween off oil, not to go cold turkey. The latter is not feasible by any metric - any politician who tried would be booted out immediately.

Certainly, Trudeau is very good at looking good, while I'm quite mixed on his actual performance. But no, i don't expect him to single handledly dismantle the canadian oil industry in a year.

And this.

Socreges

Banned
Exactly. Harper put a great deal of our eggs in a single basket. We've gotta transition away from an oil-based economy, but that's not something you can accomplish in the short term.

Also, I remember reading that the new pipeline is not as big of a deal as it's made out to be, because they were just going to ship it by rail otherwise regardless. Trains use fossil fuel to move, and have a bad habit of derailing.
Does anyone have a source that explains:

- the cost of doing it by rail vs by pipeline (both in terms of $$ and in terms of environmental impact)
- volume of oil per year transferred via rail instead of pipeline (ie, rate)
- how likely they are to deliver by rail if the pipeline is approved

Because I've heard this talking point but without much substantiation.

djkimothy

Does anyone have a source that explains:

- the cost of doing it by rail vs by pipeline (both in terms of $$ and in terms of environmental impact)
- volume of oil per year transferred via rail instead of pipeline (ie, rate)
- how likely they are to deliver by rail if the pipeline is approved

Because I've heard this talking point but without much substantiation.

I hate oil as much as anyone and i'm all for a green economy, but this is a good reason why governments prefer pipes over rail.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lac-Mégantic_rail_disaster

If you're going to move oil rail is not the most safe way to do it.

so much NDP salt in here
I mean, I'm not so salty that I actively want Justin out. I just wish that he hadn't made such a bold promise about Electoral Reform, backpedalled away, and is continuing to enforce the current system despite it having been responsible for the last Conservative Majority.

I don't think 90% of the NDP base would be opposed to consistently being outside of Government it meant that they'd actually be getting a number of seats on par with their voting percentage.

The other big upside is that this would effectively lock Conservatives out of government for the foreseeable future, and I think everyone can agree: "Fuck the Conservatives"

Kickz

😏Canada stay copying us, first their own Bush in Harper and now they have their own Obama

Get your own shtick Canada!

Top Bottom