• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Been replaying MGSV lately... Man, it's so good! (Also: Your favorite weapons?)

Neiteio

Holy shit. Mfinda Oilfield is incredible.

I stayed up until 3 a.m. replaying Mfinda Oilfield (Mission 13 - Pitch Dark). I beat it three times in a row. Each time played out wildly different. By the third run I extracted the child soldiers in the village and the walkers at the oilfield (although I still can't find the bird). The journey from the jungle through the village across the marshland to the oilfield is epic, especially at night in the rain, although it looks ominous in any weather since the skies are darkened from the oil fires.

Then the oilfield itself is incredibly well-designed, from the cliffs where you can scout out enemies at the start, to the mix of open and closed spaces inside, with blind corners and multi-level structures featuring stairs and walkways that spiral around, overlap and intertwine, with numerous lights to snuff out and many, many guards to avoid and/or silence and hide in outhouses/dumpsters along the way. There's a drainage ditch to sneak through, platforms to leap across, ledges to hang from, walls to climb, and countless points of ingress/egress. Rain is semi-regular in Africa, adding more variety. And you get to decide whether to target the separator tank or shutdown switch first, and whether to detonate the C4 (or fire the rockets) while in the base or outside it. And then there's slipping past the walker forces (or capturing them).

So suspenseful and satisfying to pull off! I s-ranked it last night but will go back for more.

Makes me want to explore the other missions more in-depth, starting perhaps with Mission 6 (Where Do The Bees Sleep), featuring the heavily guarded canyon, courtyard and ruins in the caves.

heringer

Ugh, just thinking about it makes me want to replay the game really hard, but I can't afford to replay a 60 hours game now.

This might be in my top 3 favorite games of all time. It's so, so good. Like some of you, I even loved the story, even if it is flawed.

If I do replay it though, I don't think I'll be able to ignore side ops, since I like to unlock shit.

Dy_Cy

Where do the bees sleep? and Hellbound are still incredible missions probably some best in the series

"Voices" was really good. The atmosphere with the fog in the jungle was great, and I love the Man on Fire fight (even though I was disappointed at first since it's not really a traditionnal boss fight). Dudes who can shoot fireballs with their hands and warp all around the place always make things better.

yeah i remember being super impressed by that when first playing the game. when you first get to Africa it's a big of a job to get there but it's definitely a cool place, especially with rain and lightning. going for the side ops of taking out the walkers is an interesting challenge too.

i was just playing some side ops and got the Huey Leaving cutscene. dang, it was really good. the story in chapter 2 is even better than chapter 1 cos i feel like it's really foreshadowing that final revelation, as well as foreshadowing the Metal Gear games that follow.

the exile of Huey was fascinating from a story standpoint bc pretty much everything he is accused of by Ocelot is something Big Boss had done/was about to do. i get the sense that Big Boss realizes this (chapter 2 being about this realization, culminating in The Truth) and this is why he lets him go.

there is a lot of interesting camerawork in the trial scene, and it is very well done, driving home theme themes with visual representation to nail home the foreshadowing. Ocelot says that Huey killed his own family member (Big Boss killed The Boss and tries to kill Solid Snake), that he forced his son into a Metal Gear (Venom captured Liquid and the Metal Gear effectively doing the same), and what is to be done with him? the Diamond Dogs have been whipped into a frenzy, chanting "kill! kill!", while the camera fades. a dramatic build up to Snake's verdict, who says it is not their place to judge.

this is part of a running theme of Venom as Big Boss's attempt to do right. sparing Quiet, saving the child soldiers. and at Huey's exile Ocelot says some very prophetic words, directed at Huey but imo also at Venom through proxy. he says someday he will see through the lies, that he will realize what kind of man he truly is, etc. while he says this the camera slowly pans over and freezes on Venom. cool camerawork in service of good storytelling.

Neiteio

"Voices" was really good. The atmosphere with the fog in the jungle was great, and I love the Man on Fire fight (even though I was disappointed at first since it's not really a traditionnal boss fight). Dudes who can shoot fireballs with their hands and warp all around the place always make things better.
The boss fight with the Man on Fire in Mission 20 is a lot of fun, lunging out of the way when he shoots fire at you, etc. There are so many ways to beat it, too.

You can use the splash damage from the rocket launcher to knock him into the reservoir pool; you can dump the water tower or water tanks on him; you can ram a jeep into him and knock him off the cliff; you can survive for 10 minutes and it will begin to rain, snuffing him out; you can use a fully charged shock attack from a fully upgraded stun arm and defeat him with one hit; you can use the water pistol to stun him for 30 seconds, and then target the floating boy (but it takes 50 direct hits from a fully upgraded water pistol to do so) — heck, you can even hit the floating boy with a supply drop and then Fulton the comatose Man on Fire!

Of course, you can also run away until the Man on Fire loses sight of you, and then escape by chopper!

Dy_Cy

this is part of a running theme of Venom as Big Boss's attempt to do right. sparing Quiet, saving the child soldiers. and at Huey's exile Ocelot says some very prophetic words, directed at Huey but imo also at Venom through proxy. he says someday he will see through the lies, that he will realize what kind of man he truly is, etc. while he says this the camera slowly pans over and freezes on Venom. cool camerawork in service of good storytelling.

Interesting analysis, I didn't see it that way!

The boss fight with the Man on Fire in Mission 20 is a lot of fun, lunging out of the way when he shoots fire at you, etc. There are so many ways to beat it, too.

I like the water pistol tactic because it kinda feels like a traditional MGS boss fight with the 50 hits representing his life bar lol

---

Something I thought about the mission structure of the game is that maybe they should have presented them like the episodes of the GITS - Stand Alone Complex series, where the episodes related to the main plot were labeled as "complex", and the episodes relating everyday jobs from Section 9 as "Stand Alone".

The missions of this game kinda have that feeling with the really big and more linear missions like Hellbound, Voices, CodeTalker etc... which make the story really move forward, while others are more about the openness of the gameplay and the slice of a mercenary's life.

Roufianos

I think this game is a 7/10 at most and that's me trying to be as objective as possible.

It's probably the best feeling game I've ever played. Movement is fantastic and the core gameplay is amazing aside from the shitty bloom crosshairs.

The actual mission design is terrible though. There's like 8 mission types copied and pasted into 50. They're so repetitive and shallow and feel like they were created in Infamous' mission creator.

Give me 10 hand crafted missions over 50 by the numbers ones anyday.

The Witcher 3's quest design puts this and Fallout 4 to shame.

10/10 gameplay, 5/10 level design = 7/10.

As an MGS game I'd give it a 0/10. Non-eventful story, silhouette characters, trash music, uninspired environments and I could go on and on.

It's really left a bad taste in my mouth and dulled me enthusiasm for the franchise. I tried to play MGS1 last month and gave up before the cargo door.

Ralemont

not me

The Witcher 3 has atrocious quest design. "Follow the red line to the next part of the quest." Little divergence, especially in quest solution. The Witcher 3 is lucky that the stories being told in the quests were good enough to carry the game.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
As far as favorite weapons go, here's my baby.

mgsvtpp_2015_10_02_22_20_04_955_by_aloooo81-d9bq6wl.jpg

Silenced long barrel revolver with underslung grenade launcher.

This one isn't even a good gun I just find it hilarious to look at.

Octuple barrel gun.

Chola

Banned

Narration and setting are the only things witcher 3 is holding on. Mission design is as basic as any other open world. Talk to npc, Travel 1000m, follow the red stuff and kill things and there is no other way of playing it

Angel_DvA

I think this game is a 7/10 at most and that's me trying to be as objective as possible.

It's probably the best feeling game I've ever played. Movement is fantastic and the core gameplay is amazing aside from the shitty bloom crosshairs.

The actual mission design is terrible though. There's like 8 mission types copied and pasted into 50. They're so repetitive and shallow and feel like they were created in Infamous' mission creator.

As an MGS game I'd give it a 0/10. Non-eventful story, silhouette characters, trash music, uninspired environments and I could go on and on.

It's really left a bad taste in my mouth and dulled me enthusiasm for the franchise. I tried to play MGS1 last month and gave up before the cargo door.

plz-stop-post.jpg

heringer

The Witcher 3 and MGSV are my two favorite games this generation, but no. I mean, in terms of narrative? Absolutely. Even side quests in Witcher 3 are great in how they expand the narrative, characters and lore. In terms of gameplay and ways to approach a given objective? Not even close. I quite enjoyed The Witcher's 3 gameplay (unlike some people), but it's fairly standard RPG fare in it's design. MGSV brings the action/stealth genre to a whole new level.

Admittedly, MGSV's quests set ups aren't exactly original, but the sheer depth of it's gameplay just elevates the whole thing.

Vinter

It really is a fantastic game. Storywise it is dissapointing, bit the game is so much fun that it makes up for it in my opinion. Platinuming this game was so much fun.
Some of it was grindy

Angel_DvA

The Witcher 3 and MGSV are my two favorite games this generation, but no. I mean, in terms of narrative? Absolutely. Even side quests in Witcher 3 are great in how they expand the narrative, characters and lore. In terms of gameplay and ways to approach a given objective? Not even close. I quite enjoyed The Witcher's 3 gameplay (unlike some people), but it's fairly standard RPG fare in it's design. MGSV brings the action/stealth genre to a whole new level.

Admittedly, MGSV's quests set ups aren't exactly original, but the sheer depth of it's gameplay just elevates the whole thing.

The Witcher 3 has amazing side quests, interesting characters and decent characters but in execution, scenography, mastering of the open world, gameplay etc... MGSV destroy Witcher 3.

Neiteio

I can confirm that replaying Mission 11 seven times brings back Quiet. Good stuff! And thank god for the supply drop trick, or else testing this would've taken a while!

The Witcher 3 has amazing side quests, interesting characters and decent characters but in execution, scenography, mastering of the open world, gameplay etc... MGSV destroy Witcher 3.

Gameplay wise, two very different goals. Environmentally, MGSV had tons of boring dead space. Witcher III had "dead space" but it felt organic, varied, and packed with things to do. It's really apples and oranges. I was having fun with MGSV the first time I was tasked with sneaking into a base, but beyond that I found the world to be barren and lifeless.

HeelPower

This game is...pretty bad.So dead,sterile and lifeless.

It doesn't matter how good it controls when its so mechanical and empty.

It feels like an abandoned MMO.

Jabba

Banned
I can confirm that replaying Mission 11 seven times brings back Quiet. Good stuff! And thank god for the supply drop trick, or else testing this would've taken a while!

Funny you should say this Neit..... I just got Quiet back 2-3 days ago. It was easy too. I used my tranq sniper, ignores her armor, takes 2-4 shots, done. Never tried dropping a tank on her though. Maybe I should. lol

Quick S Ranks also.

Angel_DvA

Gameplay wise, two very different goals. Environmentally, MGSV had tons of boring dead space. Witcher III had "dead space" but it felt organic, varied, and packed with things to do. It's really apples and oranges. I was having fun with MGSV the first time I was tasked with sneaking into a base, but beyond that I found the world to be barren and lifeless.

Well Afghanistan is pretty barren and lifeless, Africa wasn't finished and we know why.

Just keep going. It had too much content already and you'll have to re-unlock loads of stuff.

Completely agree! On everything. High five!

I can see all the faults in the pacing and narrative but I still think the story is great.
yeah it isn't perfect and there have been many points brought up about the flaws that I utterly agree with.

The main thing I disagree with that seems to be a popular one is that the level design is bad, the open world is pointless and the missions are reptitive.

These 3 things together in mgsv create a style of action game that has never been done before. The way the open world serves the missions and the level design makes it far more than some Ubisoft collectathon. It's really incredible how much flexibility is available in each mission. For example in assassins creed if you have a tailing mission and you lose your tail or are spotted it's 'mission failed'. Most open world games operate similarly but in mgsv you just find another way to complete the mission! There are very few fail states which is just incredible for this style of game. Or if you have to find a truck it doesn't just spawn in when you meet your mission parameters, it's there on the map the whole time and once you know it's starting position and route you can easily go there and complete the mission in seconds. Incredible! The way these missions are designed could only be ever accomplished in mgsvs unique open world environment. There has never been anything like it before. So good.

Thinking about making a new playthrough of this and killing quiet after her battle. I wonder how the story will be different. Maybe Kaz wouldn't be such a grouch all the time. I miss Bro Kaz from PW.

PW was such a good experience story wise and gameplay wise. Should've been on PS3 and used the MGS4 engine. *drool*

I would call this the self destructive playthrough and go full Venom. Kill everything and no buddies.

Xux

What an amazing game. Gonna double dip soon and use more variety so I can have a favorite weapon and post back here, lol.

Loved the translation of MG stuff like the tapes and goofy multi-use items. Definitely excited for Survive to get more of that.

rgoulart

I absolutely love this game, despite what the vocal minority said. It was the only game I played last September and I played it everyday. I'll admit the ending left a little bit of a bad taste in my mouth but I've been playing the game again this year and it still is the best experience I've had this generation.

Tranq gun and Quiet with the tranquilizer rifle is and always will be the way to go for me.

Lynx_7

The internet backlash hasn't knocked it down even a millimetre in my mind. A fantastic game when I played it last year and I still consider it just as good now as I did back then. In fact, I may even like it a bit more since I have distanced myself from the lackluster ending and can mostly focus on the good times I had with it. Second favorite MGS game and only because MGS 3 is overall a more complete package, but V is number 1 when talking about gameplay and sheer replay value. It's the one MGS game I feel like revisiting the most. If its narrative was better conveyed it could've easily been my favorite. Maybe add an "ice" location too.

I think I'm gonna do a challenge run one of these days. Like, a "no mother base" or "restart mission if spotted" playthrough or something like that. Or maybe something less restrictive like "no tranq guns" or "no fulton" since I do feel like my playstyle was too reliant on tranquing and fultoning everyone on sight, so limiting myself would actually force me to be more creative on my weapon/equipment choices and on-site strategies.

Revan

I platinumed the game in 7 days - MGSV was everything I wanted it to be - and I have another save that is at...82% I think?

I haven't played the game in a while - reading this thread is making me want to start over, especially with how disappointing the NioH beta is (to me).

There is only one other game this gen so far that is better then MGSV and that's The Witcher 3.

Fuck it - I'm gonna start new tonight.

Just been replaying myself on a clean save, for some reason when I reached Africa the Afrikaans was being translated even though I had no translator, weird.

I stayed up until 3 a.m. replaying Mfinda Oilfield (Mission 13 - Pitch Dark). I beat it three times in a row. Each time played out wildly different. By the third run I extracted the child soldiers in the village and the walkers at the oilfield (although I still can't find the bird). The journey from the jungle through the village across the marshland to the oilfield is epic, especially at night in the rain, although it looks ominous in any weather since the skies are darkened from the oil fires.

I left via a resource crate in the base before the walkers could arrive, truly the best way to travel. IIRC you take the road that runs alongside the river to find the bird.

I feel like I'm the only one who had no luck reuniting. I tried many more than seven times and perfected the stun grenade method that KOs her pretty much as quickly as you can sprint to her.

Woodchipper

I've actually been thinking about reinstalling this lately. I got to the end, kinda, I think, but I got so pissed at how bad the story was that I deleted it in frustration. The gameplay is nothing short of amazing though, so yeah, maybe I'll get back in.

I think it should've been linear with open level design instead of open world, but that's me.

Was rewatching a few MGS4 cutscenes recently. Makes me realize how incredibly forgettable V's story was. As stupid and convoluted as 4 got, it had a lot of really great moments (end of act 3, Raiden's "death", the microwave hallway, final boss, etc). Just a shame that Kojima seemed to not want to follow through with a lot of the stuff, like Big Boss not really going out by having his braindead remains thrown on a fire, and Raiden magically surviving and pretty much killing the impact of act 4's ending.

Also, 4 utterly destroys V in the musical score department.

Javin98

Banned

I usually don't call people out for having "wrong opinions", but this is wrong on so many levels that I have to make an exception. Give me a break. MGSV has repetitive and shallow quest design, but The Witcher 3 doesn't? I recall most of the quests and contracts being talk to the person, use Witcher senses to follow a trail, wait for/lure the monster for a boss fight, kill boss, collect reward. There are several that are totally unique, mostly the ones done for comedic purposes, but by and large, they are all very similar. The only things the quests really excel at is great narrative and NPC dialogue, which really help to immerse players in the world. And before you assume the opposite, I absolutely loved The Witcher 3 as well.

Actual mission design is terrible in MGSV? I really have nothing to say to people who say this besides "get creative with your equipment and the levels" or "git gud". "Trash music"? Sure, so bad no one cares about it. Oh, wait, that's not right. You are right on a point or two, though, I'll give you that.

Sami+

I'm torn. If you want to unlock the higher tier items, you absolutely have to treat the game as a kind of Pokemon, gotta catch 'em all, tranq head-shot and extract everyone kind of game.

And that sucks.

But, if you open an already-completed save and repeat the missions, you can go about using all the lethal weapons, with so many gadgets at your disposal.

And that's fun.

Basically, I wish the research and mother base expansion didn't require (literally) thousands of fultoned personnel and (literally) days worth of upgrades. No more than 150 total to max the game, with only a minority of personal you ever encounter ever being viable... Or, quite frankly, remove the staff acquisition element completely, and focus on building ties with a predetermined military force. The game could have been infinitely more fun and fully replayable if you could approach the game with all options legitimately at your disposal, without developing a necessary phobia of killing any enemies because they could be the tipping point for a rank 79 medical bay.

The way it is now, I have no favorite weapons, because I'm punished for using anything other than a tranq. gun.

Yeah this is how I feel. I never beat the game, even though I (regrettably) bought the collector's edition. I got to Mission 16 or something. The one with the trucks you need to extract and the Skull Unit. Looked up guides on how to beat it:

"Use a high level Fulton on the truck"
I don't have that

"Use a rocket launcher"
I don't have that

"Grind til you have one of those two things"
Eh. Maybe later.

Nearly a year later I've still not touched it again because I've been using my game time on stuff that doesn't haphazardly waste my fucking time.

Edit - And I want to emphasize that it really fucking bothers me because I otherwise absolutely adore the gameplay. I legitimately played Ground Zeroes longer than I did Phantom Pain. Hell, I played Ground Zeroes more than most games - something like 25-30 hours. Because sneaking around is fun, and there's literally zero Mother Base bullshit. I hate the base management and upgrade system so much it completely killed my enthusiasm for the game.

friday

Anyone play the game without sinking time into the motherbase side of it? Seems like if you just did the minimum the game would be a lot more fun.

I'm fairly confident in saying this game has the best gameplay of any game ever. It would get a 10/10 in gameplay for me.

Repaying the same missions over and over, along with a barely comprehensible story drag the game as a whole down a bit. It's a 9/10 overall for me.

The visuals were also incredible on pc, as was the optimization.

JackelZXA

Was rewatching a few MGS4 cutscenes recently. Makes me realize how incredibly forgettable V's story was. As stupid and convoluted as 4 got, it had a lot of really great moments (end of act 3, Raiden's "death", the microwave hallway, etc). Just a shame that Kojima seemed to not want to follow through with a lot of the stuff, like Big Boss not really going out by having his braindead remains thrown on a fire, and Raiden magically surviving and utterly killing the impact of act 4's ending.

Also, 4 utterly destroys V in the musical score department.

I think MGS4 still works as the best last game to play in the kojima line, but MGSV works as a bridge between 3 and 4. The revelation of who the patriots were in 4 was shocking but handled slopily, and the emphasis on zero vs big boss felt forced and unearned. The ending of the game just comes off as flat in the original release. I am a firm believer that mgs 1 2 and 3 work best played in release order because of how 3 builds on the previous games and calls back to them, but V and 4 I feel differently about. (Also, I feel weird calling Act 5 an act, when you have the full install option it just feels like the rest of Act 4)

I just did a full playthrough of V and 4 (listening to EVERYTHING) and I think that MGSV functions better as a revelation of who the MGS3 crew turn out to be than what MGS4 did . It's not only better explained, but it adds character to them and reveals information in a better way. MGSV isn't really a sequel so much as it's a bridge game.

MGS4 handles the reveals of Sigint and Paramedic so slopily, but V does it in such a better way where it fills in the MGS1 part of their backstory first before going completely into patriots territory with the truth tapes, and even so it would leave a 1-3 player questioning what the current patriots even are, and from their perspective they would see GW (sigint's ai) as being destroyed, with MGS4 still having the ability to reveal the full Patriots AI system for the war economy.

Speaking of the War Economy, gameplaywise and narratively MGS4 benefits again from V being played prior. You get to play through starting the war economy with diamond dogs, building an army and fighting other pmc's and researching weapons and technology. MGS4 ends up being Snake on the other side of the War Economy Machine where he's forced to work his way through other peoples' battles. The messages in MGS4 work better when you have that context with PF's in MGSV. Also, Drebin's Shop functions as a much more streamlined version of the Mother Base R&D Menu, and you gain access to weapons customization from the start of 4.

MGS4 also has gameplay advantages over V that make it work as a followup in a playthrough. Solid Eye is the best piece of equipment in the series, Metal Gear mk 2 and mk3 function as a super useful version of the buddy system, the oil drum can do things that the box in V can't (which is amusing because act 1 makes jokes about how cardboard boxes are old news), and octocamo is more useful than anything in Venom's closet. MGS4 is the only one with urban environments, and army vs army would feel like a gameplay step up from mgsv's PF's (Which are more capable than the soldiers in 1-3, but the army vs army thing in 4 functions as an evolution, still) Snake also has more CQC options than Venom did, and a faster basic run speed. You have tighter controls in 4 and a few upgrades over Venom. 4 didn't feel like a strict evolution of 3, where I think V actually has some closer ties to 3's gameplay (even down to R1 still being the look button) and 4 still functions as a departure from V, with its own modernized evolutions (and points system). MGS4 still looks good, too. MGSV put everything into an idroid, but MGS4 sort of has the google glass effect of putting a TON of data on the screen (solid eye being an evolution of the idroid). The Nomad interludes would be comparable to the "Return to Mother Base" interludes, and the Ipod and the music on it is an interesting twist on the Cassette Tapes in V. (And each game would have it's own character identity. Solid Snake in 1, Raiden in 2, Naked Snake in 3, Venom in V, and Old Snake in 4)

Storywise again, Zero and his organization is actually established and evolved over the coarse of MGSV. From Ground Zeroes to Phantom Pain, we actually get to see how a well meaning organization became too big and lost control of itself. Zero gets a real solid characterization in MGSV, with the extent of damage caused by skull face's virus being left open ended by the end of the Truth Tapes, with MGS4 functioning as an evolution of that. The last time Zero sees Big Boss, he's comatose, and when Big Boss finally tracks Zero down, Zero has gone braindead. It actually makes the graveyard scene work as a perfect conclusion to Big Boss and Solid Snake's journey. It adds to Big Boss's character in 4 to know that he sacrificed one of his men like his government sacrificed The Boss. Also, Here's to You bookends the two games. It's the main theme of Ground Zeroes, and then a somber version plays as the credits of MGS4, and by that point the song would have some real weight to it. Not only that bookened, but you get the bookend of "Ending on" Shadow Moses.

There's more minor things like seeing Big Boss riding the bike at the end of V that Eva rides in 4. It also reduces disappointing aspects of V (like Ocelot not being a major story player in the events of the plot) when you get to see him as Liquid Snake in the next game. You also have context for him using doublethink and hypnosis in V, so that when it's revealed he hypnotized himself in 4 it feels less like an asspull, as a new player would have that base in MGSV already to set up this reveal. As a minor thing, you get to see eli and mantis re-introduced into the story in MGSV, adding to the notion that Mantis's spirit would be assisting "Liquid" in death as anything other than fanservice. It feels like Mantis showing up in Act 1 and 5 of MGS4 is more of an actual story beat with that third boy stuff as the baseline, rather than just empty fanservice. You also get to see the parasites and language strain in V before you get all the nanomachine foxdie explanations for everything in 4. Parasites make Nanomachines more interesting because it means Naomi was creating a synthetic duplicate of this magical alien parasite that gave people actual super powers. It feels like less bullshit, because the new player would have a more interesting version of that in the prior game. I also feel like Geckos kind of work more in 4 because you have skullface talking about mass producing sahelanthropus in V. And as the best part of this order, you get to have David Hayter "come back" as the voice of Solid Snake for the "final" game.

Overall, I feel like the absolute best order to play the series in is:
1 2 3 V 4

I consider MG1, MG2, PO, PW, and Rising to be bonus games in alot of ways. MGS1 did a good job of conveying what mattered from the msx games in it's backstory menu option and it's dialog. MGSV does the same thing for PW. PW is kind of a weird game compared to the other main games, but Ground Zeroes has a pretty good backstory menu option, and covers the important beats of the story in GZ and TPP anyways. It lets you focus on just these major games and come back to the others as bonuses later on.

About MGSV itself...

V's two biggest problems were gameplay fluff and most of the game being optional cutscenes. I feel like you could merge about 12 missions into the others as far as chapter 1 goes, and then theres like...10 or so optional cutscenes. you have enough to run 20 missions and give each of them a tagline cutscene. The low morale cutscene, eli vs ocelot, and some of the lesser scenes interspersed in the right way would add a mode and a sort of narrative arc to the goings on at mother base. Starting off budding and with ocelot building things up at mother base, then in the middle alot of stuff gets moving, and then towards the end of chapter 1 when the quarantine is in effect is where scenes like eli vs ocelot and the low morale would really add to the drama and the sense that snake is barely keeping things together. (Eli's fighting snake, quiet's fighting the men, eli's fighting ocelot and the men, the men are fighting eachother!) In the main game there was a real drive from saving the kids to quiet cutting that man's mouth up, it felt great because every mission had a cutscene at the end of it that progressed the narrative.

The bosses that everyone hates, actually, in a recent playthrough it just clicked for me. There are actual strategies they don't line out to you that work really well against them. I even figured out how to fight the tanks in quiet's mission without ruining my S rank, or putting her or myself at risk. The big thing there is that there is a spot in the level where splash damage won't effect you, and you have to stay in communication with quiet when she needs to shoot and when she needs to stand down.

It's really Missions 6 and 29 that people hate so much because the skull fights aren't as intuitive as other boss scenarios. The Sniper Skulls are decent (if you bring D.D. you can reliably take them down) but the other skulls don't really enforce that you're supposed to change your style to win reliably. The normal Skulls require you to think defensively, and the iron Skulls require you to use offense that you don't use otherwise.

The basic Skulls unit. The first time you meet them it's natural to just run, but the second time when they ambush you with the honey bee is an actual boss if you play it right. If you hide in the ruins they'll fire at you from outside and put up shields. You can dart from cover to cover and get around the shields with grenades and then shoot at them with your weapons or the honey bee. Feels like a decent fight when you understand this rule. Being out in the open feels terrible but hiding in the ruins where they won't follow really adds to the fight.

Skulls with iron skin. Best if avoided at the truck early on in Africa. You can fight them or you can sneak away with the truck (or fulton it), running is the obvious best solution at this point in the game and feels the most natural. At the Airport if you use a Machine Gun (or a shield with a good SMG) and a Grenade Launcher (or a shotgun) you'll do much better than the basic snake equipment you use for most missions. Assault Rifle and Sniper Rifle are terrible to use against these Skulls. Maybe the Brennan against the armor, but the Machine Gun is the weapon of choice, and using cover and dipping into buildings is important. I cannot stress how important the Machine Gun is to this fight, or at the least a Grenade Launcher. Most Rocket Launchers aren't even that good because you won't get through their shields. The game really needed to stress that you should put on one of the bigger weapons. The basic snake gear is terrible in this fight and it's why people hate mission 29 so much. You can't really control the fight unless you bring in the big guns that you never use in most of the game.

As an aside, I think D-Walker is REALLY useful in the 4 regular chapter 2 missions. They're all heavy combat missions against walker gears, heavily armed soldiers, choppers, and tanks. Some minor things with D-Walker that help with mission 41 are that you should kit out all 3 D-Walkers with swapping them out in mind. As long as none of them get destroyed you can expend the ammo on one and then go to buddy equipment to balloon him out and pull in another. I reccomend spreading missiles and gattling across the 3 sets with 2 of them having one of those two depending on your preference, so that you can use the buddy equipment swap as a "reload ammo" feature. Learning how to drive them is important, too. If you're using LT/L2 while pressing the drive fast button you can swerve around and basically move like doom guy through the battles, which makes fighting the walker gears and tanks so much easier. It's a ton of fun if you see these missions as designed around D-Walker.

A Quiet Exit. Took me a REAL long time to figure this one out in any way that isn't a struggle. What you HAVE to do is remember 2 things.
1: Quiet can be commanded during this fight. Tell her to stand down when she's taking fire, and tell her to cover you when you need the small fry taken out or need a distraction.
2: The narrow walkways on the right half of the building are the perfect cover for the tanks' shells. The reason those things are so fucking deadly is because of the splash damage, but if you're on these walkways, you won't be hit by splash damage, because they shells will need to score a direct hit to kill you, and from the vantage point you'll be at you can actually see the shells coming and dodge them. Going around on these and switching between 2nd and 3rd floor will make this fight much easier. Being in a regular room or on ground level or out in the open is why these shells are so fucking deadly. If you're not on regular terrain you can reliably avoid the one hit kill blasts and focus on firing on the tanks from relatively decent cover.

I was able to beat the mission in one try using this strategy. It is 100% reliable. Just stay on the narrow walkways on the right side of the building and keep in contact with Quiet so she doesn't get herself killed. These two things should have been mentioned in codec calls because they make this fight WORK.

That's basically it. I might type up a thing for how to have an expedited playthrough with all cutscenes triggering (it's a bit of explanation, but is 100% reliable and feels sort of like what the game should have been from the getgo. Also, I feel like a chapter title would have made sense for mission 13. The way I have it in my "guide" i'm working on is that there are 10 main missions from Ground Zeroes to Hellbound (Some missions go by quickly if you exfiltrate by land and then start the next mission by driving to it, and I also am taking into acount forcibly triggering cutscenes here) and that with a similar thing you would have 12 missions with 12 missions worth of cutscenes going from mission 13 to 31. It would feel more balanced and make the existing Chapter 2 feel less awkward from the rest of the game.)

It should be:
> Prologue: Retribution (Ground Zeroes)
> Chapter 1: Revenge (Awakening to Afghanistan)
> Chapter 2: Race (Africa to OKB Zero)
> Chapter 3: Peace (Everything after Sahelanthropus)
> Epilogue: Truth (Paz side quest should unlock the Truth mission)

Favorite weapon is still a base MR-4 with short barrel mods.

I play HUD less so laser sight actually helps a lot with aiming.

Plus it looks cool:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtDzL3JcwbY

Same for a modded (and downgraded for extra challenge) MRS sniper rifle:
https://youtu.be/VNIfZMGLDFc?t=120

Big big fan of that scope and its reticle.

Also a fan of modding the semi-auto sniper rifles into a shorter barrel rifle with reflex sights of some sort (opposed to a scope):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuNE6-bCByA

Favorite combination by far though, and what I use almost every few days (I still play MGS V weekly) is a MR-4 and either a base Renov or M2000 (the two wood stock hunting rifles, basically).
https://youtu.be/4Ioz7mURzTw?t=1162
https://youtu.be/4Ioz7mURzTw?t=2839

I find sometimes using some of the best weapons make the game too easy... namely some of the better sniper rifles or especially silencers on sniper rifles. So I like to use the 'hunting rifles' instead and only use silencers on assault rifles (lower level versions to represent the weakened damage output... which also helps me play more Non-Lethal since it's easier to 'injure'/not kill someone with guns then) maybe pistols.

Usually for a pistol I use the base level .45 since that's what Venom uses in all the cutscenes. No silencer.
...Why would MGS V have Witcher 3 quest design :O

MGS V's open world is more a la ARMA or original PC version of Ghost Recon, not Witcher or Assassin's Creed lol.

The world is for tactical approach and scouting... not !s and ?s on a minimap ....

Even the side ops are not really quests or missions -- if you removed them from the map they're basically just random events (that you happen to get a 'ding' for).

Last thing MGS V needs is quests or side missions... if anything it just needed more patrols, more vehicles, etc. Things that improve it's ARMA esque tactical approach and scouting.

Lots of awesome weapons. Shame the game penalises you for using them and killing people. Nah just tranq and capture everyone instead.. So fun

Besides the awful story the game being a Grindy collectathon made it worse than it should have been.

One of the best games of all time.
Replaying it now. Forgot how good the main missions are.
Beginning of the game is funner, when you're still not completely OP and diamonds and resources aren't pointless.

Favorite weapon is the WU S333 revolver. I also like the double barrel shotgun.
Although the feel of the weapons in GZ is better than in TPP imo. IDK what it is, but something just feels better.

Top Bottom