• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT2| Can't stop won't stop the fresh hop

HiResDes

Guys, I got gifted a big selection of various trappist beers. What is the best way to store them? I'm not going to drink them all right away. I reckon if I want to have one, I'll just cool them in the fridge for a while before opening.

I'll store them for you in my cellar, send immediately pls

Triz

Picked up a case of 22oz. Lagunitas Cappuccino Stout today. Its by far my favorite from the brewery so when it releases I make sure to buy a box of it.

q23Pqqm.jpg

New beers to start off a new year!

• Breakside's Fourth Wave
  • Ex Novo's Kill the Sun
  • pFriem's Cognac Barrel Aged Belgian Style Dark Ale
  • And two version's of Big Bad Baptist I've never had before

HiResDes

• Ex Novo's Kill the Sun
I honestly wish I could back in time and buy two bottles of Baptista and skip the Double Barrel version.

• Ex Novo's Kill the Sun

I saw those two variations at my local also, but just grabbed a bottle of the regular Big Bad Baptist. I've never actually had it before, so I'm looking forward to it. I was concerned the Baptista would be too christmasy in the spice department.

I also grabbed some of EvilTwin's Even More Jesus Imperial Stout, a very solid stout.

Saw a few other things, such as a Yeti Barrel Aged, but passed on everything else. It's been cold and rainy here, so all I want to drink are boozy stouts. I still lament the lack of good Russian Imperials though. I might have to pick up another of the Old Rasputin barrel ageds before they're all gone.

I honestly wish I could back in time and buy two bottles of Baptista and skip the Double Barrel version.

I'm looking forward to finally trying both of them, but I'm definitely more psyched about the Baptista.

I saw those two variations at my local also, but just grabbed a bottle of the regular Big Bad Baptist. I've never actually had it before, so I'm looking forward to it. I was concerned the Baptista would be too christmasy in the spice department.

Regular Big Bad Baptist is great, and I love that I can get it pretty consistently here in Oregon.

HiResDes

Regular Baptist might still be the best variant, the coffee is pretty much nonexistent in the double barrel version unless you really try and pinpoint it.

riotous

Banned
Didn't even know it had coffee until I saw it at a coffee beer tap night and I'd had it a handful of times.

Want the Baptista but I have too many bottles at this point and need to do a serious slow down on purchases lol.

riotous

Banned
h4X2O2O.jpg

2015 Helldorado
2014 Sucaba
2016 Bourbon County Barleywine
2013 Old Stock
2015 Bigfoot (Whiskey Barrel)
2014 Mirror Mirror
2016 Brandy Angel's Share

Flight-y

riotous

Banned
Nice to have a partner in crime to help me with the big beer flights; gonna try this Smog City Bourbon OE I have at home now.

IMG_4478.jpg

Beers consumed tonight. And then some pot to make potential hangovers go away.

Happy New Year.

Is that Strange Times a Modern Times collab? Can't say I've been into their beers so far. And weed has only made my beer hangover much worse. Maybe it's different up in Washington.

Happy new brews, y'all.

Is that Strange Times a Modern Times collab? Can't say I've been into their beers so far. And weed has only made my beer hangover much worse. Maybe it's different up in Washington.

Happy new brews, y'all.

Yep, Modern Times did a collab with Strange Fellows in Vancouver, BC. I picked it up in Canada last month. Really nice mixed fermentation saison.

Mitch

Banned
Spent my New Years in Columbus.

Hit up Seventh Son, Hoof Hearted and Wolf's Ridge.

Seventh Son is making some really great brews. My favorite was their stout, Fox In The Stout. It was like drinking a brownie. Had it in a flight, then ended up getting two full pours.

Here's to a new year with new beer!

Interesting how Monkish and Smog City quietly entered WA distribution with zero fanfare or hype. Kinda nice. Modern Times coming soon, too.

Unlike Founders and Bells who are throwing massive parties. Aside from the Midwest transplants I'm not sure how well they'll do out here.

Lotto

Interesting how Monkish and Smog City quietly entered WA distribution with zero fanfare or hype. Kinda nice. Modern Times coming soon, too.

Unlike Founders and Bells who are throwing massive parties. Aside from the Midwest transplants I'm not sure how well they'll do out here.

Monkish and Smog City are still surprisingly small. Even though Monkish was originally a Belgian-style only inspired brewery, it's a bit funny how well their IPAs were received. Henry (founder of Monkish) and co. seem to have pretty defined goals though and I hope they're able to keep up with the demand, expecting an expansion from them soon because their current taproom is embarrassingly small. Still very cool to see they're able to distribute outside of California. On the other hand it seems like Modern Times is expanding exponentially. Seems like they're opening or planning an expansion every few months. Good for them though, I don't think they'll sell out after reading all of their founder's blogpost rants.

Speaking of which, a few SD places got DeGarde distrubition! Picked up a Saison Facile a couple days ago. I don't know how often this will be though, the guy I was talking to made it seem like this was a one off thing for the holidays.

What de Garde distributes outside the brewery is pretty limited. We got the Saison Facile in the last week or so, too. I think we probably saw 7-8 bottles hit retail last year.

Here's to hoping we get more this year.

They've been upping production and are in moving into a larger facility in Tillamook so I'm sure you'll see more. Just expect saisons and unfruited sours. The big fruited Bu's and The beers don't leave the brewery.

Lotto

Damn, I love them Bu's :( Had a really good spruce tip Desay too, would spruce tips be considered fruited :p? Would love to see something like that get distribution.

Damn, I love them Bu's :( Had a really good spruce tip Desay too, would spruce tips be considered fruited :p? Would love to see something like that get distribution.

If it's not a fruited Bu it's fair game. We did actually get Desay Deux recently, which was a Farmhouse Wild with raspberries aged in the barrels used to make The Purple. I think that was the first fruited de Garde bottle to hit Seattle.

Yo I really think they're one of the ones that do, a big clump that was quite solid dropped out of the very bottom of the can. It was a great IPA, but yeah I suspect you're correct, fake haze.

That's a bunch of trub/yeast. The yeast they're using suspends all that hop particles in the beer causing that massive smoothie-ness. I remember that Trillium's bottlecaps were caked with that as well as the bottom of the bottle.

Tired Hands is thought to the be the guilty party with flour.

61dd7cd53e19ae74342104985c5863c1_640x640.jpg

The new version of Astral Projection is one of the thickest IPAs I've ever had, and I know there's no flour in it.

The fuck? Are places really doing that? To make it ... look funkier?!

People claim that Tried Hands in PA has been adding flour to their milkshake IPAs to make them look hazier or more like a protein shake. I'm sure there are some smaller breweries trying to cash in on the "haze craze" doing the same thing.

Heathen. Everybody needs to enjoy that nectar. Have a case chillin' in the cellar for the long-term along with a case of Rochefort 10. Two all-time favorites.

The US doesn't tend to get fresh Orval (it's normally about six months to a year old before it gets here for some reason), so the first thing I did while in Belgium was buy some fresh Orval. Super tasty.

People claim that Tried Hands in PA has been adding flour to their milkshake IPAs to make them look hazier or more like a protein shake. I'm sure there are some smaller breweries trying to cash in on the "haze craze" doing the same thing.

The US doesn't tend to get fresh Orval (it's normally about six months to a year old before it gets here for some reason), so the first thing I did while in Belgium was buy some fresh Orval. Super tasty.

I would like to taste fresh vs aged. See how that brett affects the overall profile. Wonderful beer regardless. Belgium...some day.

Top Bottom