• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beginning of the end? Steve Ballmer is being asked to step down...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tron 2.0 said:
Well then he's the worst CEO in the world.

Of course he's worried about the stock price! Especially if he loses his job over it.
Profits are increasing and they are buying back stock so the dividends are going to keep increasing, the price doesn't need to rise in order for the shareholders to make money.

XMonkey

lacks enthusiasm.
Tron 2.0 said:
lCJQ6.png

?
Lacks a bit of context considering the whole tech bubble in the late 90s and the subsequent bursting of that bubble. Gates was obviously the better CEO, but it's not as cut and dry as a stock price.

linsivvi said:
Hardware, yes. But Microsoft has never been a hardware giant even during their best days.

Of course, the game has now changed since mobile OS are usually tied-in with hardware. And without good hardware, they are losing out on that market big time.

But what you are talking about is the consumer market. Like IBM, the B2B market is very important and profitable for Microsoft. Microsoft is very dominant in server tech, development tools, etc. IBM survived because they have mostly ditched the consumer market and transformed themselves into the largest IT consulting business in the world. It is a very high profit margin business compared to the consumer sector.

So I'm not sure hiring a hardware guy as the CEO is really that good of an idea.
I agree. Either way, the road will be difficult.

Competition has never been more tough.

Slavik81

kottila said:
worst. Y-axis. ever
No, the scale is sensible. A $2 gain on a stock that was originally $1 is HUGE compared to a $2 gain on a stock that is $20. In the first case, a person who invested $1000 walks away with $3000. In the second, a person who invested $1000 walks away with $1100.

On the graph, proportional changes in value are accurately reflected as linear.

Wraith

outunderthestars said:
I used to build custom bicycles for alot of the MS people. What I would hear time and time again is that they had too many different teams all working on somewhat similar products. People wouldn't share information or ideas out of fear of being passed over by a rival team lead. There was no person creating a singular vision for how everything was going to work together. that also led to MS changing direction at an almost absurd frequency.

At one point in time MS had different media playing software on their phone os, pc os, mp3 player, and videogame console. This software came from different teams and was developed and maintained with little to no sharing of code.

Microsoft is the GM of technology. Too big to do anything quickly, too fragmented to do anything together, and too cowardly to commit to innovation.

Yeah, this seems to be the consensus. I don't know how you handle a problem this big, though - Weeding out the culture of competition for one of teamwork could take a long, long time.

Mael

travisbickle said:
Come on guys, I mean has any IT-based company really increased in share price since the year 2000?

Pretty sure Apple did...especially considering that they weren't so hot back then

misterchef

Neo Member
Tron 2.0 said:
Ten years ago the stock was trading at ~$35. Yesterday it closed at $24.19.

Then again, it had something like $6 of dividends in these past 10 years. So although bad, it isn't AS bad as some make it out to be.

A good company != a good stock to own.

Ballmer is directly responsible for Microsoft being unable to combat Apple and Google. It's a company that didn't want to take even the smallest of risks. His worst sin is the death of the Courier, one of their last truly innovative concepts. J Allard had every right to leave that company. It doesn't help them that they have no unifying vision and often competes and sabotages itself with internal competing projects (eg Kin and Windows Mobile 7).

PnCIa

Wait, people would still listen to a Hedge Fund manager? Why on earth would anyone be that stupid after all the shit that happened over the last couple of years.

[Nintex]

I really wonder who would want to take over from Ballmer and fix his mess. Microsoft is huge and he just bought skype too. Setting that shit straight will take quite some time and resources I think.

Zaptruder

Banned
Dear Microsoft,

Put me in charge of your augmented reality division. We'll rule the world again in 15 years tops.

Cheers,

Zap

Dear Google,

Put me in charge of your augmented reality division. We'll rule the world again in 15 years tops.

Cheers,

Zap

big_z

this is what happens when you let business men run your company. having people like bill gates and steve jobs at the top ensure the company releases quality products because they know their shit. ballmer doesnt give a shit about the product just the money it could bring in.

this is also why so many companies fail at making better phones/tablets than apple. apple products leave a lot of room for improvement yet know one can make something thats of better quality because the business side fucks things up.

StuBurns

Banned
I don't think Ballmer is a good company front man from a perception level, I can't really speak to a business level. Gates and Jobs are both quite charming speakers, very different, very 'Mac vs PC' advert guys actually, but Ballmer's always come off as an asshole to me. As menial as it is, I'd like them to have a public face that doesn't make me want to punch it.

JGS

Banned
Overhauls aren't easy. They usually take place after all else fails and Microsoft isn't even close to that level. It's taken IBM something like 20 years to get back to their glory days.

Their stock is undervalued because they are compared to other companies like Apple.

They need to refocus on the net and realize that doesn't just mean Explorer upgrades. I think they should let Apple & others have the consumer markets and focus on business services like IBM does.

They would keep their popular entertainment lines like Xbox but realize that their money comes from business services who prefer stability over the latest & greatest.
StuBurns said:
I don't think Ballmer is a good company front man from a perception level, I can't really speak to a business level. Gates and Jobs are both quite charming speakers, very different, very 'Mac vs PC' advert guys actually, but Ballmer's always come off as an asshole to me. As menial as it is, I'd like them to have a public face that doesn't make me want to punch it.
To me, at least, Ballmer is a Bill Gates 2.0. He's more visionary, not less, but Gates was a visionary at the right time.

He seems like a nice guy in interviews, but definitely not a influential speaker and takes a horrible picture most of the time.

daviyoung

Banned
JGS said:
They would keep their popular entertainment lines like Xbox but realize that their money comes from business services who prefer stability over the latest & greatest.

Then Ballmer is the perfect CEO.

Angry Fork

XMonkey said:
Lacks a bit of context considering the whole tech bubble in the late 90s and the subsequent bursting of that bubble. Gates was obviously the better CEO, but it's not as cut and dry as a stock price.
Was going to say this. I don't like Ballmer at all but the chart comparison isn't really fair imo. We don't know if Gates would've been able to keep up this last decade either, Gates was definitely in the right place at the right time during the early 90s for things to explode and his product was the best one there for consumers.
StuBurns said:
Same here. I wish they'd get someone likeable again if Gates doesn't want to come back.

JGS

Banned
Angry Fork said:
Was going to say this. I don't like Ballmer at all but the chart comparison isn't really fair imo. We don't know if Gates would've been able to keep up this last decade either, Gates was definitely in the right place at the right time during the early 90s for things to explode and his product was the best one there for consumers.
He wouldn't have. He paid lip service to internet but in the end was far more focused on making sure Windows, Office, & Explorer survived while at the same time ensuring other compnaies failed. He & Ballmer are the primary reasons for Microsoft backlash to begin with. Ballmer & Gates are near identical except that Ballmer is more open minded, not less.

Gates won't & shouldn't come back except as a figurehead only. Gates was the better speaker though. They need someone completely new if they are actually wanting to change image. However, there's not much reason to think they actually need to switch at all.

Jobs had the benefit of not just taking on the CEO position but Ipod, Iphone, & Ipad. They have all become the standard. Microsoft did not have the innovation or technology to come out with those to begin with- just like the rest of the companies out there. Unless there is a major leap from those standards, Microsoft will be doomed to 2nd or 3rd place (or 4th) place, meaning it's time to find a string of new CEO's. A newer version of the same smartphone/tablet/mp3 player ain't going to cut it.

JGS said:
He wouldn't have. He paid lip service to internet but in the end was far more focused on making sure Windows, Office, & Explorer survived while at the same time ensuring other compnaies failed. He & Ballmer are the primary reasons for Microsoft backlash to begin with. Ballmer & Gates are near identical except that Ballmer is more open minded, not less.

Gates was a competitive animal. Ballmer is not. Any choices Jobs made in the 90s were mostly right for the growth of his business. He wasn't tied to any philosophy as such other than for MS to grow. You can't honestly think that he wouldn't be cutthroat right now and ahead of the game on most matters. Gates would adapt.

JGS

Banned
Salvor.Hardin said:
Gates was a competitive animal. Ballmer is not. Any choices Jobs made in the 90s were mostly right for the growth of his business. He wasn't tied to any philosophy as such other than for MS to grow. You can't honestly think that he wouldn't be cutthroat right now and ahead of the game on most matters. Gates would adapt.
Gates is not so much competitive as he is protective of his babies. Both he and Ballmer are ruthless but their hands are tied because of past monopolistic practices. Their friendlier attitude is the result of an image change already where they claim they can compete fairly.

Overall they have been successful with that philosophy, just not with products that compete with Apple's hardware. This isn't surprising because NO ONE can compete with Apple. Their strategy also would automatically result in market share drops too. So the mere presence of Gates being there is not going to change their market share woes in the consumer line. They have already adapted, their products just aren't as good. I personally think they're holding their own with Google or improve against Google.

If they adopt the strategy that IBM has, which is basically sell packages of services and goods to business partners and then let Live take care of the consumer end while merely keeping a presence in the other lines they are currently in, they will be fine. They're fine now.

However, if they want to change, IBM is a good example of what it takes to survive and they deserve their fortunes (Apple too). Unlike Apple, they gave up their primary lines (Except mainframes) & name recognition to the public but are making more money than ever. Microsoft could learn from the ones they were known to school on a regular basis.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Staccat0 said:
I can't, for a second, pretend I know what Microsoft should do with their money.
Me, either. I know what I wanted them to do with some of it, though.

I worked for a company 6 years ago that was desperately trying to get Microsoft to buy them for an outrageous premium. At the time Microsoft was buying everything in the supply chain management area because they were building out the Dynamics platform. Instead our management screwed that up and Microsoft became hostile toward us, to the point of telling other customers of ours they would halt support in other areas if they didn't drop us and use Microsoft. So I just found another job because that was the beginning of the end for that company.

I wish that would have worked out, because that would have been payday for sure. Ballmer was at the helm then and they were playing some hardball to be the leader in that market segment. But instead of innovating they were focused on buying the innovations of others. Maybe that's part of the problem with the Ballmer philosophy.

tino

Banned
Well, since I hate Microsoft (mostly because of windows UI), I hope Ballmer push through the Nokia purchase and tie up MS's resource before he gets kicked out.

Tobor

No one should be surprised by this. He doesn't understand what Apple is doing, and can't match what Google is doing. Anyone could sit in that chair and tread water for the past decade.

Ballmer's biggest mistake was letting the mobile division burn to the ground. They're still so far behind.

rezuth

Someone needs to step in to Microsoft and do a "Jobs". Have everyone present what they are currently doing and just kill whatever does not fit in. Trim the fat like crazy, there is no need for things like Songsmith to exist.

alphaNoid said:
Ballmer is a businessman not a visionary. Simply put, MS needs a visionary at the helms with great businessmen in his shadows.
At this point Steve Jobs is a salesman too, a fantastic one at that. He makes it happen, Ballmer doesn't. MS needs someone charismatic at the helm. Ballmer always came off as a douche.

ReBurn

Gold Member
rezuth said:
Someone needs to step in to Microsoft and do a "Jobs". Have everyone present what they are currently doing and just kill whatever does not fit in. Trim the fat like crazy, there is no need for things like Songsmith to exist.
This is the realization that many companies are coming to as we come out of this latest recession. It happened where I'm working now. They stacked everything up, prioritized it, and killed off what didn't fit by eliminating the budget. They re-assigned as many people as possible to avoid big layoffs and removed people from the organization who didn't fit with the shift in philosophy.

That said, I'm not convinced that Ballmer should survive a re-focus like that. He's one of the reasons that Microsoft's tendrils are so long and brittle in many places.

Retrocide

When Ballmer took over it was right around the time Microsoft lost it's antitrust case so it is difficult to solely blame him for Microsofts "troubles". Simply put...the Microsoft way wasn't going to fly under US and European oversight and a handcuffed Microsoft was simply beat to the punch in the next eaves of growth.

venne

Tobor said:
No one should be surprised by this. He doesn't understand what Apple is doing, and can't match what Google is doing. Anyone could sit in that chair and tread water for the past decade.

I am sure most companies would love to tread water like Microsoft. Tripling revenue and doubling profits at a company already raking in billions of dollars a year is nothing to scoff at.

As others have mentioned the stock graph, while shocking, is hardly informative. Around the time of the tech bubble MSFT was trading at a PE Ratio of 50! This from a company already making billions of dollars a year not a speculative investment like pets.com. It currently trades at less than 10. Earnings per share are roughly five times the 2001 level.

924539-130557522716766-tonykau.png

Maybe it would better for the company's stock price to go with a different figurehead, but I don't necessarily believe it would be better for their bottom line. The fact of the matter is that people have been predicting the demise of Microsoft for years, yet here they are stronger than ever.

rezuth

venne said:
I am sure most companies would love to tread water like Microsoft. Tripling revenue and doubling profits at a company already raking in billions of dollars a year is nothing to scoff at.

As others have mentioned the stock graph, while shocking, is hardly informative. Around the time of the tech bubble MSFT was trading at a PE Ratio of 50! This from a company already making billions of dollars a year not a speculative investment like pets.com. It currently trades at less than 10. Earnings per share are roughly five times the 2001 level.

924539-130557522716766-tonykau.png

Maybe it would better for the company's stock price to go with a different figurehead, but I don't necessarily believe it would be better for their bottom line. The fact of the matter is that people have been predicting the demise of Microsoft for years, yet here they are stronger than ever.
I think you are confusing strong with stable.

jagowar

I would like to see some new blood at the top to streamline their stuff.... it seems they have a ton of good ideas (probably more than any other company) but they never actually get anywhere with those good ideas until its too late because of all the levels you have to go though.

I'd be a fan of Allard taking over.... he seems like he could be the guy to get them going again.

The funny thing is if this happens whoever they choose will probably be viewed as a winner eventually because when jobs finally gets away from apple (and it will happen in the next few yrs) I bet we see apple have a similar downturn unless they find a new steve jobs.

Oppo

I wonder if, when the history is written, people will point to the moment that Ballmer declared that the iPhone would be an abysmal failure as a major inflection point.

I think part of Microsoft's problem is that, they are really kind of the General Electric of computing, but they still want to have flashy/startup-like initiatives in many respects.

I remember my father's take on their guys in the 90s; he worked for one of the major Canadian banks as VP of net architecture. IBM was the one always joined at the hip to the banks and MS was trying to get in there. They were always described as pushy. Anyways I remember hearing a story once about one of the bank guys cracking wise over the Xbox. Something to the effect of, "so what are you guys, really? I mean what are you trying to do? You have this desktop OS, this productivity suite that you badly support, you have this Enterprise stuff you want to sell us, and you also sell this game-box toy? You think IBM is distracted like that?"

I'm really paraphrasing here and it was ages ago, but that was the gist of it. It's like they never got over the Windows 95 launch/Rolling Stone moment, and always have tried to get it back.

If I were the emBallmer I would march into that ridiculous R&D lab where they've money-locked some of the brightest minds on the planet, ostensibly to keep them from enemy hands, and ask them for a skunkworks project to redefine the home PC using Surface and Kinect, and a prototype in 9 months. But that sounds like something Steve Jobs would do so I can hardly see it. They either need to really do something new and fulfill their fantasy or diminish and recede into the West and remain Microsoft.

Retrocide said:
When Ballmer took over it was right around the time Microsoft lost it's antitrust case so it is difficult to solely blame him for Microsofts "troubles". Simply put...the Microsoft way wasn't going to fly under US and European oversight and a handcuffed Microsoft was simply beat to the punch in the next eaves of growth.
Blocking the monopoly behaviors have not been the problem. It's the inability to be at the forefront of emerging tech.

AnkitT

dc89 said:
"How are we going to communicate with this, we don't want to carry around a mouse right? So what are we going to do? Oh a stylus right? We're going to use a stylus... NO. Who wants a stylus? You have to get them and put them away and you lose them, yuck. Nobody wants a stylus."

Steve Jobs, MacWorld 2007.
Do you take notes with your finger? In the context of the courier, the stylus fit the bill. Shame that it got scrapped though.

I'm not sure how I feel about this news, hope its better for MS. Anyways, as a recent buyer of a windows phone 7 device, and seeing the upcoming mango update, i'm quite satisfied with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom