• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Being white is a privilege, says this PSA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Codeblue

That sucks man. What part? I know this shit happens, but not so blatantly. In STL most racist stuff is stealth racism.

Codeblue and Emily,
Both of these things irk me. Not sure where either of you live or how old you are for that matter, but I'd seriously consider associating with a different group of people if you feel like that and deal with blatant racist things.

This was junior high to high school in Oklahoma, which is one of the less tolerant states I'd imagine, and I definitely wasn't friends with these people. I don't really see it much anymore and haven't since like 10th grade, but when it's there it isn't subtle.

This was junior high to high school in Oklahoma, which is one of the less tolerant states I'd imagine, and I definitely wasn't friends with these people. I don't really see it much anymore and haven't since like 10th grade, but when it's there it isn't subtle.

Yeah that's a pretty rural state. Living in the STL area everyone's pretty diverse. That shit wouldn't fly here. Not to say racist things don't happen here because believe me they do, but it's "usually" more subtle or just insensitive.

Petrie

Banned
Maybe I should rephrase what I mean; I love my kids obviously and I want them to have every opportunity available to them. Not sure what's so entitled about that. After reading Jackbens link I'm not sure a white person can decline white privelege even if they wanted to. What can I possibly do?

No issue with that. they are privileged to have the opportunity to take advantage of such programs, but to say they deserve it as if they somehow earned it is where my issue was.

No biggee, everyone wants it all for their kids.

This page just reinforces my thoughts that privilege is the wrong word to use to describe the idea.

I don't think it's particularly egregious when used in the general sense to describe a broad concept applicable to society at large. It becomes inarticulate and perhaps downright wrong when appllied to individuals, particularly when used in an accusatory fashion.

methane47

There's an interesting thing.

Has any person of color here wished they were white?

I did when I was like 12. And then there were definitely stretches until I was 18 or so.

My older brother loves to tell every single one of my friends a story from when i was maybe 6-7 years old.

Apparently he and the older neighbor kids came into the house and sat me down and proceeded to tell me that I was black. According to him I denied and said nooo I'm white!!
And he kept on saying it until I broke down in tears, crying saying that I want to be like michael jackson.

Now... I really and truly hope and pray that this story is fake but deep down i do think it happened. I dont know why i thought that way, i dont know what I had against "Black" that made me not want to be it. but apparently i was brought to tears.

If you have a heart attack in a store, the security guard following you will notice you immediately and call you an ambulance.

I might lie there dying for days :(

KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif

Funniest shit I've heard so far today. You're on a roll lately Dave, you're like GAF's own Louis CK.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
As horrible as racism and homophobia are. It doesn't compare to the inhumanity of accuse straight white men of those things.

Fuck. I need a drink after reading some of the responses.

Not you Smoky. First round is on me.

jorma

is now taking requests
I don't think it's particularly egregious when used in the general sense to describe a broad concept applicable to society at large. It becomes inarticulate and perhaps downright wrong when appllied to individuals, particularly when used in an accusatory fashion.

I was gonna post this, although not as fancy. Will just quote instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom