• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Believe in me who believes in you -- The Gurren Lagann thread of burning passion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bleh, Nyoron makes up 60% of their scripts, I would never trust a release from them. They're subbing Oh Edo Rocket too... may jebus help us all.

Watch anon's Gurren releases.

Bebpo

Banned
I thought the animation in 9 was quite good fwiw, I dunno where the complaints stem from.

btw, do we have a list of guest directors for the more recent and upcoming eps?

Bebpo said:
I thought the animation in 9 was quite good fwiw, I dunno where the complaints stem from.

I think the animation in 9 wasnt bad, I just think that because they used a lot of dark colors it was just hard to see exactly what was going on.

I really hope Simon become more like his older self soon, as it is right now, Kittan is the most badass.

Defuser said:
A loli can never replace the manliness that is Kamina!!!! NEVA!!!!!!

nothing can replace the manliness that is Kamina, the only thing that has a chance is grown up Simon acting like Kamina.

I really hope Nia doesnt end up making Simon act like Renton in Eureka7.

Fireblend

Banned
Nyoro~n is out but after the mess they did with GL 7 I'm not downloading anything from them. It just made absolutely no sense, I could have just watched the raw and get as much as I got from it.

Shouta

Fireblend said:
Nyoro~n is out but after the mess they did with GL 7 I'm not downloading anything from them. It just made absolutely no sense, I could have just watched the raw and get as much as I got from it.

Considering GL is a giant robot show, you could probably guess the basic dialogue on your own fairly easily with minimal JP knowledge. The show does have some pretty solid writing if you pay close attention to the dialogue but you don't need to necessarily do that to enjoy the show.

7Th

Bebpo said:

I can't see that either... it was very good in its own particular style... like I've been saying in the past page: very weighty and nuanced, even if simple really complex. As for the directors... I only know for 10 and 11, 10 AD is Shoko Nakamura who was AD and KA for quite a few Mushishi episodes and 11 AD is a somewhat new Key Animator that did some work on Geass and GunXSword mecha scenes.

Shouta said:
Considering GL is a giant robot show, you could probably guess the basic dialogue on your own fairly easily with minimal JP knowledge. The show does have some pretty solid writing if you pay close attention to the dialogue but you don't need to necessarily do that to enjoy the show.

Yeah... but episode 9 without dialog really loses a lot.

7Th

Question for real Japanese speakers:

This: I don't know about that.
Dialogue: 0,0:20:25.50,0:20:29.50,GL subs,,0000,0000,0000,,No, what I mean is, I'm sure to be scolded by him.
Dialogue: 0,0:20:29.75,0:20:30.35,GL subs,,0000,0000,0000,,Why's that?
Dialogue: 0,0:20:30.50,0:20:40.00,GL subs,,0000,0000,0000,,That's what he does. "Why were you born to me?" and such. And he closes off his heart to me.

Versus this: I wonder about that...
Dialogue: Marked=0,0:20:25.10,0:20:29.30,GL subs,,0000,0000,0000,,No... I think I have angered my father.
Dialogue: Marked=0,0:20:29.40,0:20:30.30,GL subs,,0000,0000,0000,,Why?
Dialogue: Marked=0,0:20:30.40,0:20:34.50,GL subs,,0000,0000,0000,,I made a mistake... I asked him why I was born.
Dialogue: Marked=0,0:20:34.60,0:20:39.80,GL subs,,0000,0000,0000,,And just then, father got really angry.

Nia's dialog near the end of the episode. The first princess thing was completely clear, though.

Shouta

7Th said:
Question for real Japanese speakers:

It's a combination of both.

Dayakka: Your father must be worried about you.
Nia: I wonder about that.
Nia: It seems I angered my father.
Leeron: Why?
Nia: I asked him, "why was I born?"
Nia: I asked that and he became distant like he locked his heart away.

Nia literally says kokoro wo tozasareta which is "close your heart" which is saying he becomes cold and distant metaphorically.

Bebpo

Banned
Man, I'm skimming some of anon ep9 and they ****ed up one of the more important lines :(

When the blond dude has Simon by the collar, and he's scolding him he ends with "Plus, if you'd been more together that time, [Kamina] wouldn't have died". Anon did something like "Now that Kamina is dead you have to be more together" or something :\

Beezy

Bebpo said:
Man, I'm skimming some of anon ep9 and they ****ed up one of the more important lines :(

When the blond dude has Simon by the collar, and he's scolding him he ends with "Plus, if you'd been more together that time, [Kamina] wouldn't have died". Anon did something like "Now that Kamina is dead you have to be more together" or something :\

Damn, that's harsh. I don't remember Simon reacting to that though.

Yoboman

Another great episode, but as good as it is, there is a GAPING void in the show without Kamina. Hopefully Simon fills that soon. With the introduction of Nia, I'm scared it'll become like a Renton/Eureka relationship. Or worse, that Simon becomes more emo. If he ends up as a Shinji like character for much longer I will KILL Gainax. I will walk across Australia, swim the Pacific ocean and kill everyone in Gainax when I reach Japan.

But yeah, good ep.

the ending of episode 8 really reminded me of nadesico... down to the sketch of the character animating slowly they did in Gekigangar

btw, didn't kamina and daigouji gai have the same VA?

Dead

well not really...yet
9 was a good episode, Simon's behaviour was pretty much the staple "main chara goes batshit" which I always love and Nia was impossibly cute. But I hope they give a better explanation as to Nia's suddenly being thrown off into a ravine right next to Simon. Not to mention that the box can only be opened by Simon's little drill. Unless that drill isn't unique, which it doesn't seem to be.

Kind of a BIT too convenient for me...

Meier

Yoboman said:
This is a bewildering post

Dunno, been a massive GAINAX fan for a long time now.. and this one just isn't doing a damn thing for me. I'll probably try and watch the 3rd episode, but it didn't even come close to pulling me in which I fully expected. :(

Espada

Dead said:
9 was a good episode, Simon's behaviour was pretty much the staple "main chara goes batshit" which I always love and Nia was impossibly cute. But I hope they give a better explanation as to Nia's suddenly being thrown off into a ravine right next to Simon.

Kind of a BIT too convenient for me...

Thrown into a ravine? Oh, you mean the episode preview?

Honestly, I don't mind since maybe it'll get him out of this Shinji-state he's in at the moment. And you're the third or fourth person today that's described Nia that way. I think it's her voice more than anything.

BTW, that guy with the spikey Ganmen (Kittan was it?) pulled off some ridiculous move. Good laughs in a moody episode, for sure.

Dead

well not really...yet
Espada said:
Thrown into a ravine? Oh, you mean the episode preview?

Honestly, I don't mind since maybe it'll get him out of this Shinji-state he's in at the moment. And you're the third or fourth person today that's described Nia that way. I think it's her voice more than anything.

BTW, that guy with the spikey Ganmen (Kittan was it?) pulled off some ridiculous move. Good laughs in a moody episode, for sure.
I mean when the Gunmen throws her box into the valley during this episode. Where Simon was, I just called it a ravine.

Also yeah, Kittan is a pretty cool guy, love his Banana-Star gunmen :lol

Shouta

Dead said:
I mean when the Gunmen throws her box into the valley during this episode. Where Simon was, I just called it a ravine.

King Kittan ftw although Dayakkaiser is a cooler name.

Espada

Dead said:

Oh that? I wouldn't be surprised if we find out way more when episode 10 rolls around.

This Adine lady looks like she might spill the beans herself, or at least have a talk with Nia so viewers get a hint as to what exactly is going on. Personally, I think her father had her disposed of, with various clues in the episode pointing me in that direction.

In that ravine, were there other boxes? I thought I saw more of those in the ground.

Wow, so Dayakkaiser = King Kittan?

Shouta

On another note, screw Gainax for changing Ganmen to Gunmen. Such a stupid change. Now every time I see Gunmen, I see Gundam.

Defuser

Oh Simon,you just have to say about the Rossiu's God .....
Now I'm reminded by this:
where%20is%20your%20god%20now.jpg

7Th

Espada said:
Oh that? I wouldn't be surprised if we find out way more when episode 10 rolls around.

This Adine lady looks like she might spill the beans herself, or at least have a talk with Nia so viewers get a hint as to what exactly is going on. Personally, I think her father had her disposed of, with various clues in the episode pointing me in that direction.

In that ravine, were there other boxes? I thought I saw more of those in the ground.

Wow, so Dayakkaiser = King Kittan?

Yup, the other boxes around Nia's are exactly the same as her.

Information from the Gurren-Lagann panel at the Fanime Con:

I recently returned from Gainax's Gurren-Lagann panel. I didn't bring my video camera this time, so I'm typing this from memory.

First, they showed the episode one of Gurren-Lagann without subtitles, but I'm pretty sure almost everyone there had already seen it fansubbed. After the episode was over, Hiroyuki Yamaga said, "If you want to see what happens next... I don't care, watch a fansub or something." So there you go: WE ARE FULLY AUTHORIZED TO DOWNLOAD GURREN-LAGANN. Then, people could ask Yamaga about the show.

Some of the important statements follow:

-Because of the bad reaction to episode four, there will not be any more extreme experiments with the animation style, only the usual we used in FLCL.

-The planet Gurren-Lagann takes place on is Earth in the future.

-The mole pig stampede (one of Yamaga's favorite scenes, and mine as well), the crazy-looking animals, and the Gainax cameos were not scripted the way they ended up, but were the results of the animators going crazy.

-Apparently, in Japan, "boys like drills".

-And, finally, someone asked, "Is Yoko really 14?" to much laughter and applause. Yamaga responded that "As the series takes place underground, time may be measured differently. So a year underground may be different from what we consider to be a year." That was met with the most cheering I had heard at the panel yet. Personally, I think it's the best non-committal answer I've ever heard.

-The series is going to be 26 episodes and self-concluding, since over that would probably wear them out and shorter isn't enough to get in what they want

-They are currently recording Episode 21 (as of 5/27/2007) (OH SNAP!)

-Episode 6 (Hot Springs) that aired on TV isn't the complete episode. Due to airing requirements, they had to cut out some scenes. Though he did say that the uncut version will be on the DVD release

-Gurren-Lagann may have a sequel, but the plot would be completely new since episode 26 will be the "end" of Simon's story.

I'm pretty impressed at them recording Episode 21... VERY IMPRESSED. HOW CAN THEY BE SO AHEAD?!

Episode 8 and 9 were more impressive from a pacing and animation standpoint. And for a story so obsessed with cliche and homage, I have to admit I'm impressed with the sudden "twist" and tonal change. All the characters remain strictly one dimensional, though. But at least now I feel like I can enjoy it on the level of a glorious exploding Gainax self-parody.

Shame about them not wanting to take any more big chances with the animation. I wasn't the biggest fan of episode 4, or the episode of Kemonozume by the same guy, but if your show is going to be huge technical showpiece strung on fanservice, then why not just do what you want? I doubt fans are going to stop watching just because a couple of episodes are off-model.

Or maybe this is just me wanting a Masaaki Yuasa episode.

7Th

Manuloz finally appeared at the other forums to reveal Episode 9 animator. Seems like it was all due to the AD work by Takashi Mukouda, who worked in TokiKake and will appear again as AD in Dennou Coil 10.

He appears in this TokiKake MAD at 1:05: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axw6eJCd7jk

buckfutter said:
Shame about them not wanting to take any more big chances with the animation. I wasn't the biggest fan of episode 4, or the episode of Kemonozume by the same guy, but if your show is going to be huge technical showpiece strung on fanservice, then why not just do what you want? I doubt fans are going to stop watching just because a couple of episodes are off-model.

Actually, what people disliked about episode 4 wasn't the off-model but the supposedly clunky movement.

7Th said:
Actually, what people disliked about episode 4 wasn't the off-model but the supposedly clunky movement.
Yeah, it was almost a slideshow at some points. It did make the assembling mecha sequence really stand out, but then they went and re-used it around two or three times.

Still, it's pretty amazing that people can manage whole episodes at all these days. Or any days, really. I have to admit that now that I think back, the constant style/writer shifting in Kemonozume probably did more harm than good to the series as a whole. But then that incongruity was part of the concept. The total arc for Gurren Lagann is looking to be set in stone... I would've liked to have seen a couple more experiments.

7Th

buckfutter said:
Still, it's pretty amazing that people can manage whole episodes at all these days. Or any days, really. I have to admit that now that I think back, the constant style/writer shifting in Kemonozume probably did more harm than good to the series as a whole. But then that incongruity was part of the concept. The total arc for Gurren Lagann is looking to be set in stone... I would've liked to have seen a couple more experiments.

The AD's for every episode will supposedly still pretty individual but in the same way FLCL was rather than Kemonozume... with a few crazy keys here and there but that would be pretty much it. And that guy, I don't remember his name, did the best episode of HachiKuro alone.

Romanization of the newly revealed bad guys in Lagann:

Adene -> Adiane
Shitomandra -> Cytomander
Guam -> Guame
Lord Genome

7Th

Gainax ran their third panel (or fourth, if you include their joint panel with Bandai Visual USA) today, and it focused entirely on Gainax’s newest show Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. Hiroyuki Yamaga starred once more, and this time he aired the first episode of the anime (raw, of course).

Let’s see, the most important piece of information: there are most definitely plans to bring the show to the U.S., though of course no licensing announcement yet. But never fear, you will see Gurren Lagann drill its way through North America in the future. For the rest, hit the jump.

For those who wondered about the stylistic change in episode 4 of the show, Yamaga said that given the negative reaction of fans all over the place, they would probably not be doing anything quite like that again during the 26-episode run of the series.

When asked why drills were selected as a main weapon of the show, Yamaga said that maybe people in America don’t get it, but in Japan, boys like drills. Interpret as you will. In all seriousness, it was chosen because it was unrealistic and over the top - like the show itself.

One attendee asked about the inspiration for Kamina, and was told that it had to do with how the voice actor acts. I asked Curium’s question about why humans came to live underground and was told: that will be addressed in episode 15. Ask an’ ye shall receive, readers! The show is currently recording episode 21, by the way, even though episode nine only just aired - if that gives you a sense of what kind of lead time there is on an anime.

Another attendee inquired as to Gurren Lagann’s length, versus 6-episode OVAs like FLCL or Gunbuster, and Yamaga said that the Gainax staff had been really interested in creating something more character-driven, which requires more time than a 6-episode series can provide. Apparently they originally hoped to make it a year-long series, but decided they’d get burned out, so decided on 26 episodes instead.

With regards to the Gainax girls cameo in episode six - featuring Evangelion’s Rei and Asuka, Mahoromatic’s Mahoro, and Gunbuster 2’s Nono and Lark - Yamaga noted that the episode was originally supposed to be about Kamina attempting to peep on the girls at a hot spring, but since it airs at 8:30am on Sundays, it had to be toned down for potential kid-watching. They hope to do late-night reruns with the “real” episode six, and that the real version will also be on the DVD release.

Oh, and a final attendee asked if the buxom sniper Yoko was actually supposed to be 14 years old. Yamaga very carefully didn’t say “yes,” but suggested that since she grew up underground, perhaps they measure years differently. Smooth man, that Yamaga.

Yamaga also gave out drills at the end of the panel. (Yes, I fought hordes and got one.)

Aaaaand that’s pretty much it for industry panels here at Fanime Con in San Jose.

More Fanime information.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Hate to derail the love train, but I wasn't very impressed with episode 9. I don't like the direction that this show seems to be going in, plus replacing Kamina with some loli girl is not a move I'm too fond of. :/ The art in this ep sucked too.

7Th

Lyte Edge said:
Hate to derail the love train, but I wasn't very impressed with episode 9. I don't like the direction that this show seems to be going in, plus replacing Kamina with some loli girl is not a move I'm too fond of. :/ The art in this ep sucked too.

Huh? Very similar to TokiKake's art direction... I don't get the hate this AD is getting. Watch this MAD at 1:05 and tell me you don't notice the similarities: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axw6eJCd7jk. It's probably one of the best animated Lagann episodes behind 1, 7 and 8... maybe 6 too but I need to watch DVD non-censored version first.

Anyway, just noticed:

Villain names: Lord Genome, Thymilf, Adiane, Cytomander and Guame?

Yes: Genome, Thymine, Adenine, Cytosine and Guanine.

Also: Spiral = Helix. Supposedly, spirals are everywhere in nature, DNA, shells, galaxies, mathematics... some even argue the shape of existence itself.

And to top it all Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann can be translated as: BREAK THROUGH THE SOURCE OF ALL LIFE GURREN-LAGANN.

Why am I such an idiot and hadn't figured this out until now?

Shouta

7Th said:
Anyway, just noticed:

Villain names: Lord Genome, Thymilf, Adiane, Cytomander and Guame?

Yes: Genome, Thymine, Adenine, Cytosine and Guanine.

Also: Spiral = Helix. Supposedly, spirals are everywhere in nature, DNA, shells, galaxies, mathematics... some even argue the shape of existence itself.

And to top it all Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann can be translated as: BREAK THROUGH THE SOURCE OF ALL LIFE GURREN-LAGANN.

Why am I such an idiot and hadn't figured this out until now?

Cause the primary villains didn't show up until ep 7, they changed the official spelling last week to Thymilf, and Source of All life is an extremely loose translation of Tengen? There isn't really a way you could foretell it. =P

It is a good catch now though. Maybe I should change Spiral King to Helix King. =P

Novid

Banned
7Th said:
More Fanime information.

At first, im really happy about the creator's background- its extremely rare somebody from the "Theater" side even thinks about doing animation in the states.

But im still pissed Gainax isnt going to continue exprementation. Folks, this story is a serial, does if Yoko looks two lines off? But its Japan these days. Years ago it would have been a honor to spice things up today...lordy.

As for coming to the states, Is it me, or unless Sci-Fi or Spike starts hurting [AS] in the ratings or making even inroads into anime, CN doesnt even have enough space to take more. As for DVD, no problems, the correction is almost over but my worry is that Bandai Visual doesnt know left from right when it comes to blu-ray/hd-dvd relaces. I know its gonna be while before we see the HD side of GL but...still.

The way its going, if a sequal happens- those last several or so episodes of Simon's story better be crazy good otherwise no way.

I love that "is she 14 argument"? All the damn time :lol . Its like with the Mary Kate and Ashley Clocks they set up for 7 years. For god sakes people...:lol

With regards to the Gainax girls cameo in episode six - featuring Evangelion’s Rei and Asuka, Mahoromatic’s Mahoro, and Gunbuster 2’s Nono and Lark - Yamaga noted that the episode was originally supposed to be about Kamina attempting to peep on the girls at a hot spring, but since it airs at 8:30am on Sundays, it had to be toned down for potential kid-watching. They hope to do late-night reruns with the “real” episode six, and that the real version will also be on the DVD release.

I didnt reconise them at first. (HAS ANYBODY DONE THE OH SNAP YET? :lol )

Now Episode 9

I liked the episode. But the previews for episode 10. I havent seen such detail since the 80's T'cats series, and the Gargoyles.'

However (Future Episode Spoilers)
Nia isnt gonna last very long...

Novid

Banned
7th said:
I really disagree, considering how different FLCL is from Gurren-Lagann is in its presentation. They're going more for an old-school, larger-than-life, epic adventure mood for this anime, with heroic manly characters and a journey through the major thematics in mecha through the history of the medium.

Intresting. I have this idea that each episode is a year, (starting with from the 60's or the Go Nagai years or 1981/82 if episode 25/26 is a two parter) and each of the year the writers use an event that happend in that partiular year in another anime. Of course this might be spoilers I might be crazy, its 2 am and im full of hot dogs and what not but its still a intresting theory.

Lyte Edge

7Th said:
Huh? Very similar to TokiKake's art direction... I don't get the hate this AD is getting. Watch this MAD at 1:05 and tell me you don't notice the similarities: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axw6eJCd7jk. It's probably one of the best animated Lagann episodes behind 1, 7 and 8... maybe 6 too but I need to watch DVD non-censored version first.

I didn't say the animation sucked, I said the art did.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Hatred for Gurren Lagann is as incomprehensible as hatred for 300. GL is by far the best most hilarious anime in years.

It`s difficult to figure out whether it`s a parody of the hotblooded super robot genre, or merely the culmination of the genre in one incredible show. By being a parody, it actually manages to outclass almost every super robot anime in existence.

Shouta

thetrin said:
It`s difficult to figure out whether it`s a parody of the hotblooded super robot genre, or merely the culmination of the genre in one incredible show. By being a parody, it actually manages to outclass almost every super robot anime in existence.

Only if you didn't like Super Robot anime in the first place! I'm loving it but it's still too early to tell how well it will turn out in the end. The lack of cohesion between the first 8 eps is a bothersome to me as well.

Shouta said:
Only if you didn't like Super Robot anime in the first place! I'm loving it but it's still too early to tell how well it will turn out in the end. The lack of cohesion between the first 8 eps is a bothersome to me as well.

yeah, I do worry about the quality of Gurren Lagann now that
Kamina is gone
. Atleast for me, he was a huge reason I liked the show.

Shouta

Linkzg said:
Kamina is gone

That doesn't bother me as much as Gainax has given me reason to be wary of their shows the farther into the story it gets.

Dead

well not really...yet
thetrin said:
Hatred for Gurren Lagann is as incomprehensible as hatred for 300. GL is by far the best most hilarious anime in years.

It doesn't really strike me as parody at all. The whole show is pretty much by the books for now, not that that's a bad thing, the show is doing what it's doing really great.

Rather than a parody I think it's trying more to be "the culmination of the genre in one incredible show" as you said, though if it succeeds, we can't say until the end. You know, Gainax, etc.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Shouta said:

Don`t get me wrong: I love super robot anime. I only qualify it as a parody because the dialogue is largely HILARIOUS, while most super robot anime dialogue is either 1) inadvertedly hilarious, or 2) subtlely hilarious. Also, the show references the super robot genre stereotypes in the most awesomely overt fashion.

Quite simply, GL is very very self aware. (super robot postmodernism?)

I`m not knocking the show. I think by virtue of being a parody, it manages to outclass actual "serious" super robot anime.

I have to put serious in quotes, because ironically, by virtue of being super robot anime, it`s impossible to be serious.

Linkzg said:
Kamina is gone

Well, he WAS the show. I am rather apprehensive about the show`s future.

SPOILER FROM EP 1
I don`t know if he`s actually dead, though. Wasn`t the first 30 seconds of the first ep a scene from the very END of the series? That was my impression, at least.

Dead

well not really...yet
thetrin said:
Well, he WAS the show. I am rather apprehensive about the show`s future.

SPOILER FROM EP 1
I don`t know if he`s actually dead, though. Wasn`t the first 30 seconds of the first ep a scene from the very END of the series? That was my impression, at least.
The character from the beginning of episode 1 was a grown up Simon. It's a preview of what's to come.

Lyte Edge

Isn't the guy in the very beginning of episode one Kamina's father?

thetrin said:

I'm not hating on GL. I'm hating on the shitty art in episode 9. :)

Linkzg said:
Kamina is gone

Same here.

Shouta

thetrin said:
Don`t get me wrong: I love super robot anime. I only qualify it as a parody because the dialogue is largely HILARIOUS, while most super robot anime dialogue is either 1) inadvertedly hilarious, or 2) subtlely hilarious. Also, the show references the super robot genre stereotypes in the most awesomely overt fashion.

Quite simply, GL is very very self aware. (super robot postmodernism?)

I`m not knocking the show. I think by virtue of being a parody, it manages to outclass actual "serious" super robot anime.

I have to put serious in quotes, because ironically, by virtue of being super robot anime, it`s impossible to be serious.

My last comment was more in jest, for the most part. However. we can't really tell how well the will turn out which is why I made the jab at your comment about it outclassing super robot anime. There's some other stuff I could say but meh, it comes down to opinion.

Super robot anime can be quite serious, it's just that most people can't take it seriously with all the super attack yelling and transforming going on. The elements are there but people usually never make it to that, heh.

As for GL itself, the show I liken it to overall so far is Daiguard. The similarities in how the show is a parody is pretty uncanny and the show's general feel is pretty similar. Although, I gotta say that Daiguard's a much better parody show than GL is so far. GL is prettier and more action-orientated though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom