• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ben Affleck's Batman Future in Doubt as Warner Bros. Plots Franchise

What is going on with Affleck?

Never mind -- I just saw your response about.

I thought they called off his divorce?

Nah. They officially filed for divorce a few months back according to quick search. I thought he might have turned a corner cause there were rumors he was dating a producer from SNL, but considering he just dropped out of another film earlier this week citing needing to focus on personal issues, I'd say he's still trying to get through his relapse.

jelly

I mean, didn't Keaton say a couple of years ago he'd be open to returning to the role in some capacity?

It's not actually going to happen

What if they just did a cameo tease like Barry travels to another universe or something even bigger and he is the old Batman. Would absolutely love that. They could easily do it.

Boke1879

Wow, I can't believe DC fucked this up. They should have just given Affleck full reign to do whatever he wanted. It's going to be so strange to see a new Batman after BvS and Justice League.

How is giving Ben full reign addressing his personal issues?

This most likely has nothing to do with any sort of studio drama and more to do with Ben's personal issues and he he probably wants a step back. Any studio would likely question how reliable such a person is.

Not to mention Reeves is starting from scratch. It'll be like 3 years before the Batman is finished and Ben will be pushing 48. Don't care who you are. That's a lot work for a physically demanding role.

Yep and it makes me smile.

image.php

I feel like jumping to Dick Grayson this early would be... unfulfilling.
Here's how I'd handle it. Solo movie, Batman is haunted by Jason Todd's death, he spends it hunting his enemy whatever they choose to run with. But it shows him just not being as fast or mentally able as he used to be. Dick, as Nightwing, makes appearances throughout and they set up Tim Drake. Film ends with him sitting at the bat computer, holding the costume with the cowl as it pans out.

Nightwing movie goes trough Dicks biggest trail in bludhaven, he's beaten and bloodied but victorious over whatever it is (you can even have Barb come to help) and the movie ends with him getting a call from Alfred about something "Master Bruce wants to discuss with you" or something.

Bam. Next movie it's Greyson and Tim Drake Robin and you've given him two movies to establish himself.

Firemind

Here's how I'd handle it. Solo movie, Batman is haunted by Jason Todd's death, he spends it hunting his enemy whatever they choose to run with. But it shows him just not being as fast or mentally able as he used to be. Dick, as Nightwing, makes appearances throughout and they set up Tim Drake. Film ends with him sitting at the bat computer, holding the costume with the cowl as it pans out.

Nightwing movie goes trough Dicks biggest trail in bludhaven, he's beaten and bloodied but victorious over whatever it is (you can even have Barb come to help) and the movie ends with him getting a call from Alfred about something "Master Bruce wants to discuss with you" or something.

Bam. Next movie it's Greyson and Tim Drake Robin and you've given him two movies to establish himself.
But Bruce Wayne is Batman. Batman isn't Bruce Wayne.

firelogic

It's a shame because the problem wasn't with him. Does this mean after the Justice League movie they're going to reboot the DCU again?

The problem IS him. I don't know what's going on in his personal life but he's been a total flake. Saying he's directing Batman, then not directing it, then said he is directing it and then not again. Said he's writing it and has a great idea then said it's not going anywhere and then said it's going great and now Reeves is dropping his script. Then he drops out of Triple Threat. And Live by Night was a complete bomb. He's been acting weird ever since. WB can't trust the guy to be there so they should cut ties with him as soon as they can and come up with a story reason as to why Bruce is gone or why Bruce looks different.

Honestly, Batman was awesome in BvS but that was all Snyder. Anyone with the right body type can put on that suit and with Snyder's team's choreography and shot framing, whoever it is will look just as intimidating and badass as Affleck did. 33% was the suit. 33% was the fight choreography. 33% was Snyder's directing behind the camera. 1% was Affleck's chin.

Flash goes back in time to save
his mom
Flash fucks up the present as a result.
Flash goes back and fixes it, comes back, things are mostly the same but some shit is different.

Flash accidentally runs to a timeline where bad shit is happening. We need this to be that in reverse.

So it's Back to the Future part 2? That's cool

Why does everything in every movie revolve around people's moms

They did already Flash timetravel shit in the second movie of the DCEU .

Flash goes back in time to save
his mom
Flash fucks up the present as a result.
Flash goes back and fixes it, comes back, things are mostly the same but some shit is different.

They are not resetting the timeline, especially if JL is well received. That's something you save for when everybody has either aged out or had contracts expire.

J_Viper

On the topic of age

sylvester-stallone-279x300.jpg

If Ben wasn't fighting his own personal demons, I don't see why he couldn't stay in shape in his mid-40s/early 50s

They are not going to do Flashpoint five movies in.

Ehhhhh

I mean, they made Batman v Superman the sequel to Man of Steel, put Wonder Woman in it, dropped Doomsday on the ass of it, and set up an entire sequence featuring dimension/timehopping w/ Flash & Parademons.

Flashpoint-esque universe shenaniganery is on the table.

They've basically been eyeing a means to move away from the Snyder aesthetic for awhile now. It's just a matter of how quick & clean they want the break to be. They don't want a messy one, and they don't wanna shit all over people they still have good relationships with. But they do want to point the ship in the direction Johns/Jenkins just pushed it w/ Wonder Woman. Flash (if he catches on in Justice League) can be a means to rip open a reboot from the end of the Man of Steel/Batman v Superman/Justice League trilogy and effectively start over.

(Keep in mind: Whedon's helping steer now. He's definitely pretty comfy with this kind of ridiculousness, and knows how to sell it)

near

Gold Member
Affleck sucks as Batman, good riddance if this turns out to be true. BvS was a pile of shit for multiple reasons and Affleck being Batman was one of them.

Boke1879

THey aren't going to adapt Flashpoint just so some posters in this thread can have the movies they disliked out of their cannon.

You recast and move on really. They aren't going to Flashpoint anything when we have Aquaman coming, Shazam shooting in Feb, Batgirl, Sirens, WW2 and hopefully we get some Flash news.

At what point do you expect a Flashpoint adaption to come in?

By the time we even get to the Batman years will have passed and general audiences won't give a shit about a recast.

WriterGK

I don't care much for Ben anymore hated him in the acountant. But if they go for Tom Cruise they might as well file for bankruptcy while they are at it.

Sephzilla

They are not resetting the timeline, especially if JL is well received. That's something you save for when everybody has either aged out or had contracts expire.

Like I said, we've already had Flash fucking with the timeline two movies in so I don't think Flashpoint is off the table. Not to mention Flashpoint is a pretty popular (albeit new) Flash story. And if Justice League isn't received well, the odds of them doing some kind of reset isn't a huge stretch. Plus, it's not like DC comics themselves don't reset the universe rather frequently

jelly

Yep. That's what will happen and I hope it happens if WB can't sort their shit out. Keep the good ones, and get rid of the bad ones or ones that don't want to work.

Keep Wonder Woman
New Batman
New Lex
New Joker
New Lois and do something with her.
New Superman
Too early on Aquaman, Flash etc.
Keep Harley Quinn
Keep Waller
Axe the rest of the Suicide Squad
New Perry White, Fishburne is sleep walking that role.
Keep Alfred

As much as I think Flashpoint is terrible I think they could make an interesting movie on it but yeah that's not happening when they are just now starting to gain traction on this stuff.

I think gaining traction is a stretch. Wonder Woman is lightning in a bottle. Its solo series will be critical and commercial smashes. But I have no doubt that the Justice League will be panned.

Margo, Ben and Gal have been the only well cast characters in the entire DCCU. The guy is a fantastic Batman, not his fault that the only movie we've seen him in thus far was a tire fire.

If we're ushering out anyone, it should be Cavill.
Not like there isn't a perfect opportunity on the table either though with Justice League said and done, it's a bit late now.

Boke1879

What's most fucked about this is Affleck has won Academy Awards for writing and directing. This whole thing should be a layup.

Like many have said. Ben's personal life isn't going the best right now. He probably wants to step away. I mean he's the one who stepped down from Directing The Batman. It's most likely mutual between him and WB is they decide to split.

With his troubles with alcohol, and family issues it's hard to see how reliable he'll be. Especially if you want him to sign on for a trilogy at his age when the first movie won't be out for like 2.5-3 years.

It doesn't have to actually be an adaptation of Flashpoint. Flashpoint is basically shorthand for "Flash does something wonky w/ the universe" that's all.

Considering WB (and Marvel...and Fox and Sony) are still completely allergic to even attempting a faithful adaptation of any famous graphic novel run, Flashpoint being adapted is a long shot.

But someone at the WB brain trust pushing the notion of Flash as a reset button to steer away from Snyder's aesthetic and steer towards Jenkins/Johns success with Wonder Woman? I can see it.

Again: WB has been looking at (and choosing) options since like, February. As Brain pointed out upthread, there's probably something to Affleck's name not being in the WB press release announcing Reeves' takeover of the project. The news we're hearing now is likely not even all that new news, it's just that we're finally hearing about it - similarly to Whedon not being made public until months after he'd already been brought on.

Wonder Woman's success has emboldened them, and given them options to do this a lot more gracefully and pleasantly than were on the table prior.

Hagi

I can't think if a worste one who or one made the least impact. I think he will go down as the worst one by far

Affleck is in now way worse than Val Kilmer or Clooney were as Batman that's just crazy talk.

Like I said, we've already had Flash fucking with the timeline two movies in so I don't think Flashpoint is off the table. Not to mention Flashpoint is a pretty popular (albeit new) Flash story. And if Justice League isn't received well, the odds of them doing some kind of reset isn't a huge stretch. Plus, it's not like DC comics themselves don't reset the universe rather frequently

DC just rebooted again to get away from the mess they created with Flashpoint. Why over complicate things when you can just do better with what you have.

Top Bottom