• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Benedict Cumberbatch on Chelsea Manning and mass surveillance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slayven

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/...atch-Bradley-Manning-had-to-be-sentenced.html

The British actor, who plays Julian Assange in Bill Condon’s new thriller about WikiLeaks, The Fifth Estate, said that although he sympathises with Manning on a human level, he knew full well that he was breaking the law.

Speaking to The Guardian, Cumberbatch, 37, said: “He did what he did out of a conviction that an alarm bell needed to be sounded. But his superiors might have been right to say to him, it's not your position to be worried about it within the hierarchy of the military organisation, which is why he had to be sentenced. He took an oath, and he broke that oath."

Manning released a statement in August saying that he had taken the name Chelsea - although he has yet to change his name legally - and would seek hormone replacement therapy in order to live as a woman.

Asked about what he thought of mass surveillance, Cumberbatch said that he wasn't comfortable with the idea of anyone reading his private emails, but admitted, "If they are saving lives, how can we say that's less important than civil liberties?"

The Fifth Estate, which is based on a book by Assange’s former partner, Daniel Domscheit-Berg, and screened at Toronto Film Festival last week, tells the WikiLeaks founder's story from 2007-2010 and ends with Manning’s leaking of the classified US military files – the largest in US history.

In an interview with the Telegraph, Cumberbatch said Assange had pleaded with him not to associate himself with the film. “He reached out to me and said he didn’t want me to do it and couldn’t condone it because he said the book and source materials we’ve based the movie on were poisonous and hazardous to his situation," said the star of BBC drama Sherlock. "I wrote back trying to justify why I thought it was important to bring this version of events to the world and how it wasn’t as negative as he feared it would be.”

The film, which opens in the UK on October 11, has so far received lukewarm reviews, with the Telegraph's Tim Robey calling it "a smart, if over-eager, thriller".

Thoughts?

foxtrot3d

Banned
I like Cumberbatch more now, was expecting some typical Hollywood overly liberal response. Not that I'm implying being a liberal is bad, I'm a liberal democrat but there is a certain form of liberal that ignores reality and facts that just makes me want to punch someone.

Like the video I saw recently of a bunch of douchey college kids bothering David Patraeus as he was walking from class yelling at him that he was "a war criminal."

EDIT:
I also hate when people say stupid shit like "you can't trade liberty/freedom over security." Bullshit, yes you can and that is how civilized society has always worked. It's a balancing act. Full freedom is anarchy, full security is a totalitarian state. What society actually craves is something in between. Stop acting like we don't constantly trade liberties for security, and that somehow this is a bad thing. That's the same rationale for why our guns laws are fucked in this country.

"If they are saving lives, how can we say that's less important than civil liberties?"
To be fair, the life saving part is hypothetical while the other isn't.

Also, I'm not sure society at large explicitly validated that particular trade-off.

I think it's weird that before, when we all assumed that the NSA and CIA could and did snoop around in our private data, it was all according to plan and we didn't think about it much. But now that the thing which we already thought was happening has been brought into the spotlight and proven factually, it's as if something's changed.

I'm not saying that its okay just because it was predictable, nor am I saying that there aren't people who honestly believed before all of this that the NSA's nose was clean. I just think its funny that a lot of people were surprised and outraged, where a day before they would have said "yeah they probably do that" with no objection or emotion.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
I'd probably agree with him, this whole surveillance thing doesn't phase me at all

Real Hero

'I also hate when people say stupid shit like "you can't trade liberty/freedom over security.'

agreed most people would choose security

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
I like Cumberbatch more now, was expecting some typical Hollywood overly liberal response. Not that I'm implying being a liberal is bad, I'm a liberal democrat but there is a certain form of liberal that ignores reality and facts that just makes me want to punch someone.

Like the video I saw recently of a bunch of douchey college kids bothering David Patraeus he was walking from class yelling at him that he was "a war criminal."

EDIT:
I also hate when people say stupid shit like "you can't trade liberty/freedom over security." Bullshit, yes you can and that is how civilized society has always worked. It's a balancing act. Full freedom is anarchy, full security is a totalitarian state. What society actually craves is something in between. Stop acting like we don't constantly trade liberties for security, and that somehow this is a bad thing, that's the same rationale for why are guns laws are fucked in this country.

My man!

Well, objectively he's right.

It's a pretty ambivalent topic. Essentially a double-egded sword. On one hand it may/does save lives, on the other it's intruding and playing games with our private life.

My suspicion is that on a human level he doesn't condone it. But you gotta give him some credit for not being selfish and putting others security first. He could've obviously said that it breaks your entitlement to privacy but in the other hand, not every political action works with a hostile agenda.

Karkador

Banned
I also hate when people say stupid shit like "you can't trade liberty/freedom over security." Bullshit, yes you can and that is how civilized society has always worked. It's a balancing act. Full freedom is anarchy, full security is a totalitarian state. What society actually craves is something in between. Stop acting like we don't constantly trade liberties for security, and that somehow this is a bad thing, that's the same rationale for why are guns laws are fucked in this country.

It's likely that when people say this, they aren't saying it to mean it's impossible to trade one for the other, but that you shouldn't do it. While liberty and security is a balancing act, it seems that security is the easier one to lure or fool people into accepting. There can certainly be a creeping increase of totalitarian policies, as where a creeping increase of anarchy seems really unlikely.

Sorry, I wasn't surprised by the freedom of speech part particularly but more by the notion that somehow Brits would be more submissive to surveillance because they don't have freedom ingrained as deeply. That seemed a bit ridiculous because, you know, the outrage is over an American agency acting thanks to an Act pushed by an American president. And all this was done to protect people from freedom hating foreigners.

I don't care what opinions actors have on real-world issues. I didn't even read it. This should be everyone's level of interest where an actor's opinion is concerned.

Because they're actors? We're a bunch of random forum-goers - what exactly makes our opinions that much more sacred?

jtb

Banned
Security/safety/the preservation of life/whatever you call it should be a means in securing and ensuring liberty, rather than a tradeoff.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
They may be saving lives. In fact, I believe they probably have. But the government has not adequately made that case imo.

If they want to save lives they might try changing their awful foreign policy. That might be a much better deterrent to terrorism than compromising the privacy of planet earth.

But I for one can't wait until the next huge government document leak includes full details on all the NSA encryption limit-breaks that they bought off Tor. That'll make us all REALLY safe.

Bodacious

Banned
Because they're actors? We're a bunch of random forum-goers - what exactly makes our opinions that much more sacred?

Sacred? Not the best choice of words, but the distinction is that we volunteer ourselves into a discussion. Publishing an actor's opinion on world events in mass media is a foisting upon the public, an implicit representation that the celeb opinion matters.

Note that I'm not saying the celebs shouldn't be free to express their opinion, and media corporations should be free to publish it if they wish. But the public should be smart enough not to give credence to a celeb actor's opinion on real-world issues just because they're famous for pretending to be people they're really not.

Unfortunately, the general public in many cases really seems to care when a celebrity (and I'm talking actors/musicians/comedians here) throws their opinion into the ring. Makes no sense to me.

Security/safety/the preservation of life/whatever you call it should be a means in securing and ensuring liberty, rather than a tradeoff.
Life is never that simple and black and white.

It's very easy to say you'd rather have liberty than life if you aren't starring death right in the eyes. For every 1000 person who says they'd lay down their life to stop the government from stealing away their liberties, 999 of them are completely full of nonsense.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
He's British, they don't have our Bill of Rights nor do they think that freedoms like speech are sacrosanct. That's why you can get arrested there for being mean on Twitter.

This is dumb, these two sentences are completely separate matters.

In Britain we don't worship freedom as the be all and end all, like the USA does(I'm generalising here). Restrictions on freedoms can be a positive. Not all freedoms are equal. Some are worth swapping for a bit of security. Gun control springs to mind. That is not to say I agree with Cumberbatch re: NSA surveillance.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
What's a life without liberty?

Whats liberty without life?

Which is not a statement supporting or condoning any course of action or any program. Just a general frustration with such utterly vague platitudes

It's likely that when people say this, they aren't saying it to mean it's impossible to trade one for the other, but that you shouldn't do it. While liberty and security is a balancing act, it seems that security is the easier one to lure or fool people into accepting. There can certainly be a creeping increase of totalitarian policies, as where a creeping increase of anarchy seems really unlikely.

I've yet to hear a compelling case from anyone that you shouldn't do it as a generality though, and yet its constantly trotted out as one. Oh sure, there are lots of specific situations where you would not want to trade liberty for security, but there are also lots of examples of the reverse, especially once you realize that liberty does not operate on a linear slider and its possible for security to then enable other forms of liberty, which is the basis for an enormous number of systems that modern society is built around.

Its so goddamn annoying seeing people trot out such vague, useless statements like they're somehow profound and edgy

Speaking to The Guardian, Cumberbatch, 37, said: “He did what he did out of a conviction that an alarm bell needed to be sounded. But his superiors might have been right to say to him, it's not your position to be worried about it within the hierarchy of the military organisation, which is why he had to be sentenced. He took an oath, and he broke that oath."

Manning released a statement in August saying that he had taken the name Chelsea - although he has yet to change his name legally - and would seek hormone replacement therapy in order to live as a woman.

Hey, Cumberbatch. It's "she." It's not that hard to use the correct pronoun. Same goes to the writer of the article, Patrick Smith.

If you're in everyone's shit then have to spy because of blowback from being in everyone's shit, how about just not being in everyone's shit?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Don't you think that if they could make that case they would. Do people really think that the #1 priority of the NSA is "saving lives"?

This is an utterly fair criticism that is also not the main line of attack people have been using to argue against the NSA. If it was then I probably wouldn't come off as defending something I'd rather not when it comes to a lot of this NSA shit

Red Comet

I pretty much agree with everything Cumberbatch said here. Actually refreshing hearing a celebrity say what he did about Manning and the NSA situation.

Salamando

NSA spying to save lives, okay, rocky an issue, but there's a clear pro to a definite con. The oft-rumored corporate or financial espionage coupled with rendering some security technologies less effective for the purposes of easier spying, not that's something that just cannot be allowed.

Unfortunately, the general public in many cases really seems to care when a celebrity (and I'm talking actors/musicians/comedians here) throws their opinion into the ring. Makes no sense to me.

I think the idea is more so that it is the opinion of someone who has managed to become extremely successful at what they do, and so people get the notion that someone who has achieved so much would have a rather clear, logical view of the world around them. Of course that's not always true, but it's misleading to think that fame itself is where the public credence comes from.

Rehynn

I like this Wimbledon Tennismatch dude.

SMH at people who oversimplify the issue with stuff like "life without liberty is no life at all". We're not actually looking at a 1984 scenario.
Both sides can and have made good arguments in the debate, but such slippery slope arguments will get us nowhere.

Trust

Banned
"If they are saving lives, how can we say that's less important than civil liberties?"
Deus Ex nailed it, so I'll just leave this here

9rRdD.jpg

Reuenthal

Banned
The problem of trading liberty for security is that there have been and will always be plenty individuals who on the pretexts of providing you security, they would like more powers for themselves while in fact the result is both less liberty and security for yourself.

Such as for example when spy agencies wanting the power to spy on their own citizens or presidents needing extra authority to play the role of judge and jury such as some of the ones given to them by the patriot act. The fact is that very often someone in a position of power would like to have even more power and security and external threats if often a good rationalization for that. What one ought to do is not let themselves be fooled.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia

Like the video I saw recently of a bunch of douchey college kids bothering David Patraeus as he was walking from class yelling at him that he was "a war criminal."

EDIT:
I also hate when people say stupid shit like "you can't trade liberty/freedom over security." Bullshit, yes you can and that is how civilized society has always worked. It's a balancing act. Full freedom is anarchy, full security is a totalitarian state. What society actually craves is something in between. Stop acting like we don't constantly trade liberties for security, and that somehow this is a bad thing. That's the same rationale for why our guns laws are fucked in this country.

I feel like I couldn't agree more if I tried.

Julian Assange is an embarrassment to Australia, IMO.
I think releasing all that classified info to the public will only encourage certain people to keep hating America and perpetuate the violence we see in the World today. I suspect he did it, moreso for his own ego, rather than the good of mankind etc. lol
I saw him in a recent interview, here in Aus and he came off as a massive wanker.
Overall, I have no prob sacrificing some privacy for a safer society. Even here in Aus, we have some real nutjobs, that need to be monitored.

Oersted

If you're in everyone's shit then have to spy because of blowback from being in everyone's shit, how about just not being in everyone's shit?

Is that the same logic that is telling us that if USA stops bombing /fucking up other countries, those countries will show some love? So when they can stop trading in their liberty for our safety...naaah.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom