• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Benoît Sokal died...

Perrott

Gold Member
Damn, just now I'm going through all of the Syberia series with my father (first ever playthrough for both of us) and we are liking the games a lot in spite of their flaws.

R.I.P.

ShadowNate

Sad news. "Long term illness" sounds horrible too. May he rest in peace.

I've recently replayed Amerzone. For all its faults it was kind of enjoyable. I think I had more fun with it than with the Syberia 1 and 2 titles, albeit Syberia 1 is probably the best work (has the better script for sure).

Perhaps it's time to try out Syberia 3.

Rikkori

R.I.P.

Absolutely love Syberia, it was a very special game in my formative years. The world will miss you Benoit.

intbal

Benoit Sokal also served as art director on the Xbox game Knight's Apprentice, in case you want to experience a little more of his video game work.

sublimit

Banned
What? I had seen him in person just 4-5 years ago...he seemed fine...

Such a great and multitalented artist...he will be missed.

Condolences to his family.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I'm sorry but who?

wBIc0Z2.jpg

Elios83

Sad news, I remeber playing Amerzone on PC in 1999 and then the Syberia series. Amazing atmosphere through his art.
RIP.

Years ago I wrote for a small gaming site and Syberia 1 was one of the first games I got an early review copy for, I know I still have the disc somewhere, but what was cool is that the game came with a letter written by Benoit Sokal (obviously not personally to me) basically saying I hope you enjoy the game yada yada yada. I thought it was pretty cool as a teenager, especially since the game ended up being really damn good. Microids was one of the cooler PC publishers to deal with for us (Westwood as well, they had some really chill people). The last time I saw the letter was when I moved years ago, so I know it has to be somewhere.

Basically what I'm saying is Syberia definitely has a special place for me.

Thanks for the memories. RIP.

Lux77

I accidently somehow discovered Amerzone. Gameplay-wise was nothing special, but imagination and Sokal drawings took my attention.

And of course beautiful tale of Syberia.

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
Canardo was one of my all time favorite Franco-Belgian comic book series.

OIP.3yA9MFIlC5yxQNNddTuCzAHaIg

RIP

Last edited:
I was a fan of Benoit Sokal long before he started in the game industry, for this masterpiece : Canardo.

Canardo is a French comic, and his style is truly unique.

Will be sorely missed...

Top Bottom