• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bernie Sanders endorses Hillary Clinton for president

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, I stopped in to share my feelings towards the endorsement, people asked a few questions that I answered, and then I seen where things were heading. Am I going to change your opinion and who you vote for? Do you want me to argue my points so you can try to change my mind?

It's not going to happen. I won't change your mind, and you won't change mine. Sorry about that.

So rather than engage in some self-reflection, you want to solidify in people's mind's that you don't know politics at all.

I'm just going to say it once more for emphasis: You don't have to vote for Hillary to not be a bad person. You just have to not vote for Trump.

Ms.Galaxy

Hey, I stopped in to share my feelings towards the endorsement, people asked a few questions that I answered, and then I seen where things were heading. Am I going to change your opinion and who you vote for? Do you want me to argue my points so you can try to change my mind?

It's not going to happen. I won't change your mind, and you won't change mine. Sorry about that.

I'm gonna be honest, I wouldn't have been so harsh with you if you actually understood what is a stake and the consequences of a Trump presidency. The harsh reality is that what you think would happen will never happen and what will happen will regress the United States for decades. I just want you to do some thinking about all this, because the mindset you have is a tad naive when it comes to politics.

I'm just going to say it once more for emphasis: You don't have to vote for Hillary to not be a bad person. You just have to not vote for Trump.

Aye, this here.

Crosseyes

Banned
You do realize that a revolution would involve a huge number of a people dying, with no more guarantee of actual progress than incremental change, right?
Indeed, and America is not immune to a public cry for suppression and enforcement of order in the face of violent outbreaks. As pathetic as it is for America just look at the things Trump has risen on the back of. What ideals the majority the UK chose to waterboard their future for on the path they've chosen to start walking.

Things are bad, downright awful for certain segments of America that I feel sympathetic towards those like Micah Johnson who see insurgency as the option they're forced to.

But an outbreak of violence like that when enough live comfortably or can turn a blind eye to it would only bring in the ushering of a fear based vote for order in the face of chaos. Trump would be only the beginning of groups feeding on those type of fears.

Humanity and especially America is not immune to the type of forces that sprung up back during the early-mid 1900's.

SpacLock

So rather than engage in some self-reflection, you want to solidify in people's mind's that you don't know politics at all.

Anyone here that is against Hillary "doesn't know politics." You're already convicted in an idiot. So I'm going to escape this forest fire, because I'm just not interested in debating. Sorry to shit the place up, fellas.

Ms.Galaxy

Anyone here that is against Hillary "doesn't know politics." You're already convicted in an idiot. So I'm going to escape this forest fire, because I'm just not interested in debating. Sorry to shit the place up, fellas.

You know, you can be critical of Hillary and still understand, once again, what's at stake.

If you are against Clinton and want her to fail, and honestly think a Trump presidency will make drastic changes to how elections work, he won't do anything he promises, and/or an anarchist revolution will rise, you really don't know politics that well.

If you are against Clinton and want her to fail, but also understand that a Trump presidency will regress the U.S. for decades to come, halting progression, than you know politics, but you just don't care.

If you don't like Clinton nor really support her, but also understand what a Trump presidency would entail and vote for her, you're critical of Clinton but understand what's at stake and don't want to risk having Trump in.

People have stated multiple times that your support of Trump is why people are suspicious of your grasp of politics. You seem to be avoiding that point.

Your feelings involved winky emoticons and Dance Dance Revolution jokes. That's probably why they haven't gone over so well.

I don't see any positive progression with either Hillary or Trump. To top it off, theyre both dishonest pieces of shit, in my opinion. At least with Trump I believe there will be a possibility of chaos that might change the election process in a positive way before the next cycle. Maybe by then we can get some real candidates in the running. But who knows.

The level of ignorance and naivety in this post is staggering. Have you actually experienced war and chaos in your life to throw these words around? Do you know how fucked up that is? As someone who did, you really need a reality check. You are taking so many things for granted and maybe one day you will experience how fucking awful instability is.

Progress will be made with Hillary and her calibration with Sanders shows she is willing to work to better this country. If you are you are going to ignore all of that effort, than I don't even know what to say. I feel sorry for you.

Meowster

Using historical positions on gay marriage as a litmus test for who is and isn't "truly" in support of gay rights is a really weird curiosity that mostly comes from the same confusion that believes the SCOTUS ruling on gay marriage means all other issues are fixed.

The gay community itself had a lot of internal strife over where in terms of priority gay marriage should be. If you struck off all gay rights activists who were against gay marriage early on, you'd truncate the list considerably.
This is random and off topic but it seems like only straight people ever harp on about Hillary and gay marriage. Gay people are by and large cool with her. We like her. It's just a really weird thing I noticed that (mainly straight) people use to attack her when they themselves likely weren't in favor of gay marriage a decade ago.

Macam

Banned
Same. I believe the house will be locked red until 2020. There's no way Clinton will get a lot of real progress done as Republicans sit there obstructing everything. That said, liberal majority supreme court will ensure their bullshit is prevent for decades to come.

Sanders never compromises, but Hillary knows how to get things done! She's a great negotiator, is offering realistic options, and has a terrific record of legislative accomplishments, unlike Old Man Sanders. Why won't he quit?

dLMN8R

It's really weird seeing liberals fall over themselves fawning over Warren and Bernie, but when Warren and Bernie unequivocally and strongly endorse Hillary, it's just impossible for them to reconcile.

Maybe....just maybe.....it's a sign that you should reconsider your own personal opinions about Hillary?

Maybe, just maybe your own personal hatred for Hillary is mostly unfounded on bullshit propaganda deliberately crafted and spread by Republicans for the specific purpose of making your distrust her?

At the very least, how the fuck do you as a liberal reconcile the cognitive dissonance of absolutely hating Hillary with Republicans absolutely hating Hillary because they know that she's a liberal who wants to pass liberal legislation and elect liberal Supreme Court justices?

It's really weird seeing liberals fall over themselves fawning over Warren and Bernie, but when Warren and Bernie unequivocally and strongly endorse Hillary, it's just impossible for them to reconcile.

Maybe....just maybe.....it's a sign that you should reconsider your own personal opinions about Hillary?

Maybe, just maybe your own personal hatred for Hillary is mostly unfounded on bullshit propaganda deliberately crafted and spread by Republicans for the specific purpose of making your distrust her?

At the very least, how the fuck do you as a liberal reconcile the cognitive dissonance of absolutely hating Hillary with Republicans absolutely hating Hillary because they know that she's a liberal who wants to pass liberal legislation and elect liberal Supreme Court justices?

I don't think the Bernie or bust folks are liberals, but rather a lot of anti-establishment folks who latched onto him, and otherwise, couldn't care less about politics. With him out, their 'watch the world burn' speech is more about bruised egos and spite then any sane political thinking.

The way they describe Hillary is so unhinged, you'd think they is on record stomping on a burlap sack filled with flaming puppies.

NIGHT-

It really sucks that Hillary will be president.

In eight years she'll have instigated atleast one needless war and the income gap between the wealthy and the middle class will grow tremendously.

We made the wrong choice.

She's less bad than the Trump, but make no mistake, she'll be terrible.

My feelings too. I just don't understand how anyone could be excited for her to lead the country. It's just disgusting.

User1608

Banned
My feelings too. I just don't understand how anyone could be excited for her to lead the country. It's just disgusting.
I don't mean to be rude, but posts like this come off as very ignorant and lacking in perspective.

While not every person, individual in every minority group will agree with and vouch for Hillary, which is perfectly fine, most of us cannot afford to allow Trump to become president. Many of us know she will do her best to protect our rights/well-being as residents (in my case as I'm an immigrant), and citizens of the US.

She will make sure no wall is built and families separated on a massive scale by the millions, she will protect and do her best to expand lgbt rights, and she will seemingly partake in racial and criminal justice reform for black Americans too. She will also attempt to improve upon the ACA. Most of all, she will nominate liberal supreme Court justices whom will uphold positive and progressive legislation should they be challenged in court. And there's a whole lot more I didn't even include that's vastly different from what Trump is proposing, like on campaign finance!

Many of us do see and believe she will be a fine, progressive leader. She is in no way disgusting, such a term is reserved for the current and presumptive GOP nominee, who is a massive racist. That's not to say she doesn't have her flaws though, because she does. No human, especially politician is perfect. Her record from the last several decades speaks for itself though, and I would say it's pretty good.

Ms.Galaxy

I know, I also bet she's going to ban masturbation, eat the hearts out of infants, declare nuclear war on France, and steal from girl scouts.

At least, that's what I hear from people who listened to 20+ years of anti-Clinton rhetoric from Republicans. I'm positive they're right and they would never, ever, try to slander someone on the left. Especially not the liberal first lady who was unprecedentedly active in politics during her husband's presidency instead of sitting around in the gardens and, as they say, "knowing her place"

Look, I agree she has flaws, but she's not "disgusting" and thinking she's the worst thing ever is over exaggerating. You wanna see disgusting? Look at the Republican side and also look at their platform.

How can one hate Bernie's endorsement when Trump is teh GOP nominee?

Can't take any risk and he tried his best to push her left after all now its the most progressive platform in dem history

He's not a sellout he's just looking out for the best interest of his country

People's first election with a candidate that makes them wide-eyed and dream, and they don't understand compromise that well. The fact we now have the most progressive platform in Democratic history means Bernie got most of what he wanted. Meanwhile, the GOP has now the most regressive, near fascist platform I've ever seen. All that's missing is proposing the return of Jim Crow at this point.

Mr.Sumal

Can't take any risk and he tried his best to push her left after all now its the most progressive platform in dem history

Gives Hillary the endorsements of everyone left of Paul Ryan basically. Trump is only favored by the crazy base of the Republican party, and random Independents who think he's "honest" and "speaks his mind".

In eight years she'll have instigated atleast one needless war and the income gap between the wealthy and the middle class will grow tremendously.

I wouldn't expect to see much done regarding income inequality with her in office. There's the obvious interests of her donors, speaking tour friends, Clinton Foundation, Wall Street NY connections from when she was a Senator, etc. But even beyond that, she's just not the candidate to rock the boat.

As we saw with her TPP support over the course of the Dem Primary, if she feels that she's losing a bit of political will, she'll go to the safe option. Which in this case is to revert to the norm of widening inequality.

At best, we may gain a few programs that redistribute some tax dollars towards the needy. I expect most of those to be aimed towards women and children, since those are among the few issues she hasn't willfully abandoned when it's politically expedient.

Maternity leave, children's healthcare, stuff like that will pass. Not enough to help the tons of single and other struggling workers whose wages aren't keeping up with rent prices, but it's something.

I'd love if she could actually get the public option passed, but it'll take a redistricted 2020 Democratic Congress to push it to her desk in the second term (assuming the GOP is just a dead party on the national level). The day she gets inaugurated in 2017, she's going to think about her 2020 campaign. With that in mind, I don't believe public option is going to be something she's willing to fight for.

I don't think she'll start another war though. She may have an overaggressive foreign policy blunder a la Libya (because she either doesn't seem to learn or simply goes with the flow of public opinion too easily.) Starting a war is pretty big though, and she will likely look to carry on the Obama legacy.

She probably won't be catastrophic. She'll listen to scientists on climate change, which is one of those "act now, or we're fucked" issues. She'll be largely good on social issues, particularly for women.

I don't think she'll do anything about guns because she's too cautious a politician (remember her gun talk when she campaigned against Obama?), but she may go for some criminal justice reform. And if the political winds sweep across the states, you can bet she'll "evolve" to fully accept marijuana legalization. She may even end private prisons, since she stopped taking their money in October 2015.

Still, as an untrustworthy and divisive candidate with a widening income inequality issue that may become irreversible, there are certainly large dangers to an increasingly polarized America.

She is pushing for a minimum wage increase and is trying to improve access to necessary social services for Americans. I have no idea what makes you think that Hillary will contribute to a widening income gap.

She is pushing for a minimum wage increase and is trying to improve access to necessary social services for Americans. I have no idea what makes you think that Hillary will contribute to a widening income gap.

Because the Hillary that exists in people's heads after 20+ years of constant propaganda is not the same as the Hillary that actually exists in reality.

There's all sorts of things I see people say about her as if they're "common knowledge" that don't have any basis in fact, at least so far as I can tell.

In another thread, when someone claimed that Clinton would OBVIOUSLY reverse course on all of these liberal policies she's been proposing, catering instead to conservative interests, I asked for some evidence of that tendency in her actual career as a public servant. I didn't get a response, which is usually the case when I ask that question.

Biolink

Bleh. I'm moving on. Way too tired to continue fighting. 1 vote for Hillary for my little brother and sister's sake and then I'm through. Africa(Ghana) is looking quite a bit better these days.

The comments on my FB Feed are.... intense.

One dude is calling for open revolution.

Is Jill Stein a Republican? Because she doesn't have kind words about Hillary in her response to Bernie's endorsement. Republican propaganda there, too?

I also see some stuff said here about Bernie or Bust people. The two hardcore Bernie fans in my Facebook feed were invested and posting about politics long before this election cycle, so they're not just groupies. They'll apparently be voting for Stein, though they expected and understand why Bernie endorsed Hillary and aren't mad about it. Some people on here just love to paint Bernie supporters as naive, ignorant college students and Hillary supporters like themselves as objective and truly knowledgeable about politics. I can't even vote in this election, not having citizenship, yet I still find the Bernie hate on Gaf supremely annoying. The level of condescension from Hillary supporters is irritating.

This tends to happen when you insist on purity test that only people the agree with you 100% can pass. When you run on a campaign where, everyone that not you, is part of the establishment and the enemy of the people. Even those people have have dedicated their lives to public service.

Eventually the vitriol and purity gets turned against you and get yourself get lumped in with the broad brush enemy to rallied the mob against.

I love that one bit where Hillary is speaking an a couple of hecklers are being somewhat disruptive and Bernie gives a "cut the shit" look and they shut up.

Is Jill Stein a Republican? Because she doesn't have kind words about Hillary in her response to Bernie's endorsement. Republican propaganda there, too?

I also see some stuff said here about Bernie or Bust people. The two hardcore Bernie fans in my Facebook feed were invested and posting about politics long before this election cycle, so they're not just groupies. They'll apparently be voting for Stein, though they expected and understand why Bernie endorsed Hillary and aren't mad about it. Some people on here just love to paint Bernie supporters as naive, ignorant college students and Hillary supporters like themselves as objective and truly knowledgeable about politics. I can't even vote in this election, not having citizenship, yet I still find the Bernie hate on Gaf supremely annoying. The level of condescension from Hillary supporters is irritating.

Okay, so here's my problem.

There are people who treat voting as...I dunno, some kind of grand moral statement.They're "sending a message" to Washington or whatever. But that kind of thinking is utterly alien to me.

I view voting as a simple cost/benefit proposition. You look at the likely outcomes, and you look at the likely consequences of those outcomes. You assess how your vote might influence those outcomes.

I'm not concerned with "statements", because statements mean approximately squat to the realities of people's lives, especially those people most likely to be impacted by a Trump presidency. I'm concerned with outcomes. Concrete, measurable results.

So, we look at the reality we have. The reality we have is a first-past-the-post system in which two parties dominate for a variety of cultural and mathematical reasons. A third party simply is not going to win the election. Jill Stein is not going to be president. Gary Johnson is not going to be president. It's not going to happen. Either Trump or Clinton will be president, and so one has to assess the likely consequences of each of those and make a choice. Work to abolish first-past-the-post, or work to move the party more in a direction you agree with, or work to bolster the profile of a third party? Totally fine. But a vote does none of those things.

The line Stein likes to parrot, that "the lesser of two evils is still evil", is a cop-out. It's a resort to moral purity favored primarily by those unlikely to be impacted by the actual consequences of their decisions. If I'm given a choice between two options, with the full and certain knowledge that ONE of those options is going to happen, I don't earn moral brownie points for abstaining from the decision.

Phased

Stein is just trying to appeal to the disenfranchised Sanders voters after it was confirmed he endorsed her. Trump is doing the same thing. It's petty and transparent but it's politics.

Some people may switch, although I doubt it'll be many. Green party has some pretty nutso policies that should scare away anybody with a brain. Anti vax, Anti GMO, Anti Nuclear Energy and pro homeopathy. If that doesn't send educated voters for the hills I don't know what will.

Stein is just trying to appeal to the disenfranchised Sanders voters after it was confirmed he endorsed her. Trump is doing the same thing. It's petty and transparent but it's politics.

Some people may switch, although I doubt it'll be many. Green party has some pretty nutso policies that should scare away anybody with a brain. Anti vax, Anti GMO, Anti Nuclear Energy and pro homeopathy. If that doesn't send educated voters for the hills I don't know what will.

A candidate that wants to provide taxpayer-funded homeopathic treatment for my "vaccine injuries" is a great candidate.

If I'm delusional.

Anti-nuke and anti-GMO is 100% pro greenhouse gas, which is the definition of ironic for the so called 'green' party.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
A candidate that wants to provide taxpayer-funded homeopathic treatment for my "vaccine injuries" is a great candidate.

If I'm delusional.

Anti-nuke and anti-GMO is 100% pro greenhouse gas, which is the definition of ironic for the so called 'green' party.

That first sentence isn't true, at least not now. It was dropped as a Green Party position some while ago. Jill Stein is a bit weird about homeopathy, but then... so are both Clinton and Sanders. As far as I'm aware, Clinton is the only one of the three to have sought homeopathic treatment.

You're quite right re: nuclear, though. It is frustrating how many Green parties in the Western world oppose nuclear power, the UK and German ones do as well. I think it is a hang-over from the disarmament days.

That first sentence isn't true, at least not now. It was dropped as a Green Party position some while ago. Jill Stein is a bit weird about homeopathy, but then... so are both Clinton and Sanders. As far as I'm aware, Clinton is the only one of the three to have sought homeopathic treatment.

I will not let them off the hook for hasty revisions made to pander to a wider audience.

See also Brexit reversal.

If Hillary opined about wanting to require that health insurance cover homeopathy, I missed it. We all have our faults, though. It bugs me regarding Mark Hyman and Hillary, but there's a difference between that and putting it in the party platform.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Exactly. I know there are posters that are trying to convince him to vote Hillary, but the most important thing is simply whether or not he votes for Trump.

If he wants to vote for Gary Johnson or Jill Stein because he can't stand Hillary so much, then whatever. But there is no good argument for voting Trump.

If you're in a swing state, not voting Clinton is de facto voting Trump. If you're in Alaska or whatever, vote who you feel like. Heck, you can vote Trump in Texas, no skin of my nose. But if you're in North Carolina, Florida, Ohio, Virginia, Georgia, Nebraska's 2nd district, or possibly even Missouri, for the sake of anyone who is poor or gay or a minority, please vote Clinton.

You're quite right re: nuclear, though. It is frustrating how many Green parties in the Western world oppose nuclear power, the UK and German ones do as well. I think it is a hang-over from the disarmament days.

There is not a single party in Germany (save for the extreme right wings maybe) that doesn't oppose nuclear power, though.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
There is not a single party in Germany (save for the extreme right wings maybe) that doesn't oppose nuclear power, though.

True. Which I've always found weird, France is never usually more functional than Germany.

:p

I'm not going to vote for Jill Stein (Though I'd like it to be a realistic option), but she's repeatedly said she doesn't advocate homeopathy and is also advocating for vaccinations.
I agree that this is a problem with a lot of green parties around the globe though.

True. Which I've always found weird, France is never usually more functional than Germany.

:p

They really aren't, actually. Costs are biting everyone using nuclear in the ass, just covered up nicely (see the UK's new nuclear power plant, which is about as close to communism as the Soviets ever got).

Supast4r

I understand the state of the Supreme Court would be fucked, I just can't vote for Hillary. I'd rather aim for the possibility of a revolution to change things rather than keep the slow bleeding.

Listen, I'm all for the LGBT community. I have always supported them. And I'm not Pro Trump, even if Amit-Hillary points me in that direction. I'm more political revolution. Shock and disgust for who we have in office. Hillary just hides her ugliness better.

Hell, not too long ago Hillary opposed gay rights. Then flippity flip.

Almost every politican opposed gay marriage publically until recently. (Obama privately supported it but publically denounced it) I see this is your first stint with politics based on your comments.

Supast4r

There are things I'm not OK with in both candidates. Is Trump really racist? I don't know. The media says he is, right? I guess there's some older quotes, and possibly other hard evidence. I think there may be some for Hillary too.
Hilary's husband was the first black president...

Turok_TTZ

Do not like this... I'll just not vote in the election. My only options are to drink either cyanide or arsenic? Disappointed bernie. Very disappointed.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
They really aren't, actually. Costs are biting everyone using nuclear in the ass, just covered up nicely (see the UK's new nuclear power plant, which is about as close to communism as the Soviets ever got).

They have a very long RoI, I agree, and the UK deal with China was also a total shambles, I agree, but a) over their lifespan, nuclear plants still work out moderately cheaper than most renewables at the moment, even if the costs are mostly all upfront, and b) they're obviously much cleaner than coal. They're a stop-gap solution, at least until thorium becomes widespread, but that still a necessary one.

Do not like this... I'll just not vote in the election. My only options are to drink either cyanide or arsenic? Disappointed bernie. Very disappointed.
Why are you disappointed? Bernie got a huge chunk of his platform adopted by Hillary Clinton for his endorsement. That's a win. You can't demand for everything you want to change at once. This is a huge shift in the right direction in our country. It's not even a "lesser of two evils" at this point.

inner-G

Banned
I was a Bernie supporter but I'm more comfortable now that the official platform includes criminal justice reform and cannabis law reform.

I probably won't donate though, she's already loaded and I'm not super-enthusiastic about her record on some things that are important to me.

Diablos

No she won't. Stop being paranoid.

You know, you can be critical of Hillary and still understand, once again, what's at stake.

If you are against Clinton and want her to fail, and honestly think a Trump presidency will make drastic changes to how elections work, he won't do anything he promises, and/or an anarchist revolution will rise, you really don't know politics that well.

If you are against Clinton and want her to fail, but also understand that a Trump presidency will regress the U.S. for decades to come, halting progression, than you know politics, but you just don't care.

If you don't like Clinton nor really support her, but also understand what a Trump presidency would entail and vote for her, you're critical of Clinton but understand what's at stake and don't want to risk having Trump in.

I was going to comment on how Spaclock was doing all that he could to avoid speaking with you, Gaf karma already took care of him though.

I've noticed that there is a common trend of peoole, with opinions such as his, outright ignoring the facts presented to them. I guess they just don't care. Sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom