• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best beer for a first-time drinker ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Velkepopovicky_Kozel_beer.jpg

gngf123

So many awful beers posted here. Just because he is starting new doesn't mean he needs to start with shitty piss water.

Guinness works as a easy to find decent Stout if you want to try something dark and roasty.

Erdinger is an easy to find wheatbeer that isn't bad either. Beyond that it will depend heavily on where you live. Great beers that I find here (Sneck Lifter, Young's Double Chocolate, Fuller's London Porter, etc) might not be found where you live.

thefro

I'd go to a local craft brewery (or bar that has a bunch of beers on tap) with a buddy and get a sampler flight of different stuff to sample. That's basically 4-6 little glasses of beer so you can taste different stuff.

You should have what I had for my first beer- Guiness

Eh, it's okay from a can with the little nitro widget, but it's much better on tap.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Either light beer or if you want to jump into craft immediately the taste of sour ales and gose should be palatable. Don't go IPA. I drink a lot of beer, and I still don't have the taste for IPA.

garth2000

Lots of great recommendations in here. The reality is that it totally depends on your taste. Beer is definitely an acquired taste (but once it's acquired... WOW!).

Go with a good quality beer, regardless of whether you choose a darker beer (like a Guinness) or something lighter (like Stella). Nothing wrong with starting out with Coors, or Bud either (even though I don't particularly like them). Just don't go with a super cheap brand.

My only real recommendation is that you stay away from craft beers for your first dip (I say this as a lover of craft beer). Some of them can have REALLY strong flavors, and even though they are my favorite, the really hoppy ones can be off putting to some.

BigDug13

But oranges to slice. Get Blue Moon. If Blue Moon is too nasty to them, try adding an orange slice. If that doesn't do it, it might be time for Zima and grenadine. (Have I dated myself with that option?)

Goro Majima

Kitty Genovese Member
Thought about it more and if you don't like beer it's whatever.

Order something like a Long Island or a rum and coke instead. Neither one has a "stigma" if you're a dude and are perfectly fine to drink.

Just remember there is a huge taste difference in various beer styles and brands. Just because you don't like Guinness (stout) doesn't mean you won't like Blue Moon (Witbier), Sam Adams (Lager), or even Sierra Nevada Pale Ale (Their seasonal Celebration Ale is great).

For something common that you can find everywhere give Blue Moon and Sam Adams a go. Both are pretty good. I wouldn't start with Guinness though its not for everyone.

Once you find the styles you like then we can talk craft beers. If you don't have any local shops dedicated to craft stuff look for a local International Food market a lot of those carry less common beer. Even a good excuse to try some foods you haven't had before!

Stella Atrois goes down easy.

this.

any wheat bear will also do you well, my personal favorite is Kronenbourg Blanc, but any wheat bear will be just as amazing to your virgin taste buds.

edit - just remembered "shock top" is a popular wheat bear with wide distribution as well [on tap at most run of the mill pubs / bars in BC at least].

german versions will be called "weisse", they're also amazing.

beer's really not the best alcohol to get into just for the sake of it though, especially as a man, it'll make you fucken fat.

easy drinks to enjoy at bars as a not-big-drinker are whiskey + water, vodka + soda, gin + tonic/soda.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Cider (or fruity, soury beers) is actually a really good choice. Generally when people "don't like beer", it's that they don't like hops or don't like malt or both, and cider and fruity beers mitigate those concerns.

Naudi

Banned
Just try all the kinds that 6 16oz are only like 5-6$. PBR is the best, but rolling rock isn't awful I guess.

Armaly

Go for the cider. Angry Orchard Cinnful Apple and Green Apple are really good. Still trying to find a place that still has Summer Honey. Redd's Apple Ale is also pretty good.

Kule

I started on cider(can't stand it now) but if you want some easy beer get corona with a slice of lime or heineken. Tuborg is really easy to drink too if it's available. If you want something heavier try Guinness, not to my taste but it's very popular.

Kule

I'd also recommend trying to buy bottled beer and put them in the freezer for a bit until the glass frosts up. Be careful not to freeze them tough.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Every poster is going to suggest a different beer and every one will probably have someone here who thinks it's piss.

Just pick a few from the shop/bar and see what you like.

Don't wanna be that guy but maybe don't start? You'll most likely lead a healthier life because of it. If you've avoided it so far there's no reason to start now right?

DZ_b_EZ

There's a beer called Milk Stout. Its made by a brewery called Left Hand Brewery.

Its THE only American beer in my opinion. A fantastic mix of milk, coffee, and beer.

Just don't go for something meaty and weird tasting like Guinness. Try that later.

I personally hate it, but either way it's not a good starter beer.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I find Heineken to be very drinkable, but I am no conissuer.

Coors Light. Nice smooth, light beer. Can't go wrong with an ice cold coors light after a hard days work.

Don't make the mistake of drinking beer fast. Just enjoy it like a normal beverage or else you will get a strong aftertaste. Also, you might not enjoy beer after eating, so I would advise drinking before supper.

Sanjuro

Honestly?

Grab a Miller Lite. Go from there to a Sam Adams or something maybe a bit thicker. I've found for many, beer is like coffee. Takes a while to either get or adjust to some of the other tastes. Those same people over time start jumping around to new things.

It's like riding an alcoholic bicycle.

kU1h5az.jpg

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Go for a light lager for your first beer. The real ales etc... will taste too weird for you.

Akainu

There's no such thing or of good tasting beer in general. People just fool themselves into liking it. Oh but this ones sweet they say until it's not. Just drink some damn lemonade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom