• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best beer for a first-time drinker ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wheat beers are plain and inoffensive. My tastes run dark, though, so I second the Guinness recommendation. It's basically light beer (4.3% alcohol), but you won't feel like you're wasting your time drinking it. If you like it, move on to heavier, darker stouts and porters. I'd stay away from bitter IPAs if you're a newbie.

EtKQJfe.jpg

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

What kind of gas stations do they have in your neighborhood?

Btw easy to find Belgian, trippel and quadruppels include unibroue, fin du monde and terrible. Safeway, Kroger etc will have those in large single bottles. I personally think they're highly drinkable, more accessible than bitters or IPAs and actually good value given the high alcohol content. I also think they're pretty sophisticated in terms of flavor profiles and good for beginners thinking about getting into fancy beers. The high alcohol content can be offputting to some, but they're fantastic for sipping.

My personal hope is that Belgians outpace the ridiculous faddy IPA explosion and stop exposing would be enthusiasts to cartoonishly one-note beers. Reminds me of the eighties garlic craze.

My favorite beer definitely not available in the OP's suggested locations is a series of beers called Hitachino Nest. Craft brewery outside of Tokyo that makes a Japanese imperial stout, white rice, red rice, wheat and other very clever Japanese takes on classics. Absolutely delicious and would be great for newbies in terms of flavor approachability and complexity. But eye wateringly at about six bucks per tiny bottle.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
First time? Coors light! Something light and smooth dude, you don't want to get into stanky shit right off the bat.
Yeah I would do this.

I'm ok with Blue Moon as a suggestion as well provided it is served with the obligatory orange slice.

You could also consider a cider. It being sweet might be a bit easier on your palette.

There's no such thing or of good tasting beer in general. People just fool themselves into liking it. Oh but this ones sweet they say until it's not. Just drink some damn lemonade.
"Why the hell do people like lemon meringue pie? I hate lemon meringue pie, why don't you just eat some damn cookies?"

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Lol. Don't do this.

Yuengling was my first ever beer/alcohol. And I enjoyed it very fondly.
ef9c0f0b6e93a0d01b84e0e95d33d80b.jpg

DO NOT get Yuengling as your first beer. I'm personally fine with Yuengling, when i'm on the east coast I drink that shit up. Terrible first choice.

I feel like many of the people in this thread don't know what they're talking about. Some probably haven't even had that many beer types, and some probably didn't have an extremely strong aversion to the taste of beer at first. Make your first time special, OP.

t-ramp

Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Or go to a grocery store with a mix-and-match six-pack section and pick out some different styles of beer.

Peltz

DO NOT get Yuengling as your first beer. I'm personally fine with Yuengling, when i'm on the east coast I drink that shit up. Terrible first choice.

I feel like many of the people in this thread don't know what they're talking about. Some probably haven't even had that many beer types, and some probably didn't have an extremely strong aversion to the taste of beer at first. Make your first time special, OP.
I mean, I agree it's not the best, but it's a very neutral taste. Everyone has different tastes in beer.

I've had hundreds of different types of beer and am definitely a big beer drinker. For his first time, he's not going to have much frame of reference anyway. So why waste a good one on him?

Whatever you try it's probably gonna taste like piss. It takes a while to get used to and even then I still can't say I'm a huge fan of the taste. Granted I'm only 20 and the best beer I've had was Guiness...

Kona Big Wave. Very light ale, not too much alcohol, has a tropical aftertaste. I always suggest it to people new to beer and almost every time they love it. And you can find it at most places.

The Sam Adams seasonal pack is a great choice right now. Almost all of the beers in the pack are great and easy drinking. Even their IPA which is surprising, since I normally hate Sam Adam's IPA's. Their Chocolate Bock is always great. Again, you can probably find it anywhere.

One that you will probably have to go to a liquor store for is Einstök. A white ale that has a hint of fruit and finishes clean as fuck. Very good starter beer, just a tiny bit harder to find.

cHaotix8

+1 on Shiner, Blue Moon, Stella. Those were my entry level beers.

Edit: Nice choice on the BM. Don't drink on an empty stomach, lol.

Just go out of the gym so do I drink and then eat, right ?

Always.

Drinking on an empty stomach is a disaster you're probably going to encounter at some point. Haha. Also, always stay hydrated. It's easy to ignore water when you're constantly drinking booze, but it will save you from a tough time.

Wulfric

New Glarus's Spotted Cow or Moon Man if you can find it. Tastes kinda crispy/tart.

I'm a beer noob, so Guinness in a can works for me. *shrug*

Armadilo

Banned
Fuck lol guess I should probably wait on that steel reserve - keep it in the fridge. Until I'm ready

- steel reserve was a $1

riotous

Banned
Hah; that's hilarious.. guess a new drinker wouldn't know trolling.

I spent my teen years drinking way too much Old English and other 40's of malt liquor. Was a gross time.

Blue Moon? It's going to be sweeter than most things you can buy cheap.

Damn. Blue Moon was my driest beer and it was an excellent entry. Nice first post.

I used to live within walking distance from Founders Brewery, that really did the trick though.

Dr.Acula

Banned
You people are awful. Just let the man buy a normal beer and drink it, and now you're telling him to chug things and drink fucking wheat beers. Christ.

Btw easy to find Belgian, trippel and quadruppels include unibroue, fin du monde and terrible. Safeway, Kroger etc will have those in large single bottles. I personally think they're highly drinkable, more accessible than bitters or IPAs and actually good value given the high alcohol content. I also think they're pretty sophisticated in terms of flavor profiles and good for beginners thinking about getting into fancy beers. The high alcohol content can be offputting to some, but they're fantastic for sipping.
I can't agree with this. Mainly because La Fin Du Monde was one of the first beers I tried and I couldn't drink it. Far too unpleasant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom