• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Blu-Ray transfers

Status
Not open for further replies.

NIGHT-

I just got a 50 inch Panasonic St50 and want to start building up my Blu-ray collection. Which transfers do you guys recommend for showing off a new set?

MechDX

Terminator 2 and Robocop

muhahahahahhaha

Even though they are not that great the Transformer movies look really good. Transformers: RotF IMAX scenes are stunning.

Misfits

Neo Member
Speed racer, game of thrones, alien, enter the void, red cliff, planet earth, sunshine. There see loads more but those are the ones I have and the phenomenal.

sfedai0

Banned
Terminator 2 and Robocop

muhahahahahhaha

Even though they are not that great the Transformer movies look really good. Transformers: RotF IMAX scenes are stunning.

The transfer for T2 is subpar. I see graininess on mine in some of the scenes.

thabiz

Terminator 2 and Robocop

muhahahahahhaha

Transformers 3 is stunning! STUNNING! the audio is the best too.

Jimothy

Alien
Taxi Driver
Kill Bill
Sin City
King Kong 2005
No Country For Old Men
Zodiac
Minority Report
Gladiator remastered version
Blade Runner
Band of Brothers
Any Pixar movie
Star Trek 2009

Muffdraul

Alien collection on Blu-Ray is the shit, some comparison pics around the internet and you will be mindblown

This, though I would amend that none of the sequels benefit as much from the 1080p up-rez as the 1979 original does. All these years, I never realized it said "Weylan Yutani" [sic] on the monitors, or that the ship's computer "Mother" is actually MU-TH-UR, as seen on the little panel next to the entrance to her main terminal. It's eye-meltingly good. Whereas the sequels looked pretty much the same as ever to me.

2001 is also an awesome blu-ray showcase; e.g. you can read the huge list of instructions next to the zero-g toilet.

Carnby

Sin City looks incredible on blu ray. It's worth a purchase even if you already own the dvd version.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Anything animated:

vlcsnap-2011-11-23-19b8dn5.png

vlcsnap-2011-11-23-086y7mq.png

vlcsnap-2011-11-17-08fjexl.png

vlcsnap-2011-11-16-2285u3p.png

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
This is also THE must have 3D Blu-Ray as well.

The only 3D blu-ray that I could find that I thought I'd actually watch a few times was Drive Angry 3D. I might get Piranha 3D at some point too, because that movie is amazing. There isn't really anything great in that format yet, though. It's all dumb movies, so you have to pick out the dumb movies that fit into your tastes, I guess. Which makes me want to go as dumb as possible.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Meh, tbh the AVS people overemphasize strict picture-quality. The ultimate effect is more subjective, and is strongly informed by how striking the pictures are on a more visceral level.
I agree, but the OP did ask for the best transfers flat out in his topic.

Clearly the solution here is to get a well-shot movie with amazing picture quality on BD. I personally recommend Zodiac. The expensive OOP 2-disc US version, the international Warner disc is inferior.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Speaking of that, my tv is 3d capable but didn't come with a pair. Any suggestions?

I think Panasonic requires Panasonic glasses, you can't use some fo the universal ones. That being said the Panasonic ones are very nice, if pricy.

BobsRevenge

I think Panasonic requires Panasonic glasses, you can't use some fo the universal ones. That being said the Panasonic ones are very nice, if pricy.

I use 3Active glasses and they work fine (I think I have the same TV as the one the guy mentioned). They seem to be of a similar quality as the Panasonic ones I tried in the store, though obviously I didn't spend that much time with those and the conditions were really different.

I'm having a really great time playing Ico in 3d.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
As several people have noted, Sin City is spectacular visually:
vlcsnap-2011-11-24-08egqph.png

Really amps up the creep factor on the Yellow Bastard and Elijah Wood's character.

Recently picked up copy of Angel Heart for £3.99 - if that wasn't good enough, imagine my surprise to find the transfer quality being top notch.

Jimothy

Sin City makes me really wish I had a plasma instead of LCD. Dem black levels. I hate being a poor college student.

BobsRevenge

I agree, but the OP did ask for the best transfers flat out in his topic.

Clearly the solution here is to get a well-shot movie with amazing picture quality on BD. I personally recommend Zodiac. The expensive OOP 2-disc US version, the international Warner disc is inferior.

Why I like to mention Antichrist is that the transfer doesn't have any noticeable flaws, unless you really try to look for them I guess, and the images are astounding (got a bronze on the list you linked to). The super-slow-motion scenes are mind-blowing on a Panasonic ST50.

Zodiac is certainly gorgeous though.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Band of Brothers.
The US BD is terrible. The DNR is so excessive that planes get erased!

Why I like to mention Antichrist is that the transfer doesn't have any noticeable flaws, unless you really try to look for them I guess, and the images are astounding (got a bronze on the list you linked to). The super-slow-motion scenes are mind-blowing on a Panasonic ST50.

Zodiac is certainly gorgeous though.
Well Zodiac is only tier gold too on there. The tiers are pretty nitpicky after a certain point. It's still a useful guide, though.

BobsRevenge

Zulu on blu-ray is stunning.

Yeah, but buying Zulu on blu-ray makes you one of those. Might as well finish it off and get Band of Brothers, Gettysburg, and Lawrence of Arabia on BD too, and then masturbate to the History channel in HD.

edit: Jesus christ I'm an ass. Sorry dude. :\

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom