• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best boss battles (motivate, don't just make lists please)

DogofWar

And of course you use spoiler markers if needed, don't want to ruin any games for people. We want them to play the games!

The very reason I though about making this thread was because I listened to Suikoden 2 OST. And Dive into a Corner came on.

Luca Blight is very obviously one of the villains in that game and the fact that you battle him wont spoil much. But that must be my absolute favorite boss fight of all time. The way it uses the game mechanics to show how powerful he is is simply amazing.

As a character he is one of the most ruthless warmongerers one can imagine. Pure hatred drives him, you witness massacres on civilians that he force to beg before slaughtering them. You are starting to hate him as well, before fighting him.
When you finally have the numbers to fight against this extremely powerful villain you do not enter a castle that you explore at your leisure while fighting mobs and using a save point before the obvious boss. You have an actual war meeting, plan to ambush him and use 3 different parties with 6 people in them to fight him. After first riddling him full of arrows.

Usually you have one party of 6 in Suikoden 2 so the fact that you have to prepare and triple that really gives you a sense of danger beforehand. You understand that this will be tough. After defeating him, he lunges at the protagonist in a last desperate attempt and you have a 1 vs 1 duel against him.

But you needed your entire army to bring him down, not just the hero and your favorite 5 pals that you usually run around with. Never have a boss battle felt so much like a boss battle.

And he is a deeper character than one first believes:
You eventually learn that his hatred towards the nation he wages war with stems from a real trauma. His mother, the queen, was gangraped and murdered by a battalion from the "good" nation. In front of his eyes as a kid. He was severly beaten as well while his father turned tail and ran back home. His hatred for weakness does even have a real psychological explanation in other words. This also gives me that "gray" moral area I like so much. If the nation you are fighting for commited such atrocities, maybe you aren't completely morally superior after all?

And his boss battle theme might be one of the coolest ever:

So what Boss fight(s) would you nominate for the best ever? I might add more if I get inspired enough to write more essays like this...

Eimran

Batman Arkham City - Victor Freeze Battle.
Freeze is an intelligent nemesis and reacts on your takedowns against him so that you can't use them again. Basically you are forced to use new methods to take him down.

Metal Gear Solid 3 - The end
Battle against a veteran sniper. The battle is awesome for a PS2 game and takes place on 4 maps. You can use various methods to take him down. You can even kill him early in the game so you can skip the battle. Since the enemy is very old you could also fast forward your PS2 time settings for a few weeks and get an ingame call that he has died of natural causes, also enabling you to skip the battle. Kojima is a wizard.

Last edited:
Too many to list but heres my last years goty

Judgment final boss and yes huge spoilers btw.

Lots of good boss battles over the years but I decided to pick this one because it's underrated imo. The acting, the choreography, the music it's the perfect conclusion of the story.

KOMANI

KOMANI
And of course you use spoiler markers if needed, don't want to ruin any games for people. We want them to play the games!

The very reason I though about making this thread was because I listened to Suikoden 2 OST. And Dive into a Corner came on.

Luca Blight is very obviously one of the villains in that game and the fact that you battle him wont spoil much. But that must be my absolute favorite boss fight of all time. The way it uses the game mechanics to show how powerful he is is simply amazing.

As a character he is one of the most ruthless warmongerers one can imagine. Pure hatred drives him, you witness massacres on civilians that he force to beg before slaughtering them. You are starting to hate him as well, before fighting him.
When you finally have the numbers to fight against this extremely powerful villain you do not enter a castle that you explore at your leisure while fighting mobs and using a save point before the obvious boss. You have an actual war meeting, plan to ambush him and use 3 different parties with 6 people in them to fight him. After first riddling him full of arrows.

Usually you have one party of 6 in Suikoden 2 so the fact that you have to prepare and triple that really gives you a sense of danger beforehand. You understand that this will be tough. After defeating him, he lunges at the protagonist in a last desperate attempt and you have a 1 vs 1 duel against him.

But you needed your entire army to bring him down, not just the hero and your favorite 5 pals that you usually run around with. Never have a boss battle felt so much like a boss battle.

And he is a deeper character than one first believes:
You eventually learn that his hatred towards the nation he wages war with stems from a real trauma. His mother, the queen, was gangraped and murdered by a battalion from the "good" nation. In front of his eyes as a kid. He was severly beaten as well while his father turned tail and ran back home. His hatred for weakness does even have a real psychological explanation in other words. This also gives me that "gray" moral area I like so much. If the nation you are fighting for commited such atrocities, maybe you aren't completely morally superior after all?

And his boss battle theme might be one of the coolest ever:

So what Boss fight(s) would you nominate for the best ever? I might add more if I get inspired enough to write more essays like this...

tumblr_inline_p9xojscGZq1r0te2c_250.gif

DogofWar

i hope i see some bloodborne boss's on this thread since i am about to play it for the first time

The last boss (depending on your ending) sends such shivers down my spine it's unreal. It can actually be likened to the last boss in MGS3 in more than one way somehow. But Bloodborne have so many great boss encounters it almost feels like cheating to write about it.

Fume Knight, Dark Souls 2 DLC. Because he's a complete cunt who took hours for me to beat, and I only managed it by summoning a player who turned out to be some kind of genius Souls player.

I eagerly await the litany of "he's a fucking breeze, I killed him first time blind folded with my arms tied behind my back, you scrub" posts.

DogofWar

Fume Knight, Dark Souls 2 DLC. Because he's a complete cunt who took hours for me to beat, and I only managed it by summoning a player who turned out to be some kind of genius Souls player.

I eagerly await the litany of "he's a fucking breeze, I killed him first time blind folded with my arms tied behind my back, you scrub" posts.

One of my favorite Souls-bosses as well. He is hard as hell! But still so fun to fight against that I take me time to fight him solo in all my playthroughs (unless playing with a friend). Definitely one of the hardest fights in that game, I don't think anyone would say otherwise.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Twinrova-1.jpg

From Zelda: Ocarina of Time.

Probably the most interesting boss battle in the game. Requires good movement and timing, and good use of the dungeon’s item. Also helps that it comes at the end of a great dungeon that takes the theme of the game to its most practical application. It’s a very simple battle by modern standards and it’s nothing compared to what you’d find in the average 3D action game just a few years later, but if you experienced it in 1998 it surely left its mark in your memory.

h53vcv3.jpg

From Zelda: Twilight Princess

One of the best boss battles of any Zelda game. Execution is pretty simple but the setup and the gimmick is phenomenal. Say what you want about TP, but the bosses are consistently amazing.

Raonak

Banned
Old Snake vs Liquid Ocelot in MGS4 was such a magical experience.

Two sweaty old men throwing fists. Juiced up and exhausted, both knowing it's the last fight of their lives.

Fuck, I want a remaster so badly

Aion002

Lady Maria, Bloodborne.

Reasons: it's a fair fight, it's extremely cool, lore and waifu... Therefore emotional.

Isshin, Sekiro.

Reasons: it's a fair fight, most cool battle ever, you will die a lot, but when you succeed it will be a life accomplishment.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
GOW: Stranger fight and Magni & Modi

An incredible opening to the game that resembles something from DBZ and despite the smaller scale inspired people to imagine what is possible for these Gods and Demi-Gods

Magni and Modi because you are trying to juggle two fairly potent enemies and the end of the fight is brutal and really makes you wonder about what will happen in the future...

MGS3: The Boss & The End

Highly emotional final battle with your mentor with similar skillsets, fully embraces the game mechanics. The End really allows you to experience a battle of wits and attention to detail. The fact you could wait him out or kill him early is incredible.

MGS1: Sniper Wolf & MG Rex & Psycho Mantis

Sekiro: Guardian Ape

That moment he picks up his head and continues attacking.... holy shit!

Destiny: Atheon

An incredible team dependent battle that was unforgettable for making friends and helping others.... great loot and an epic setting.

Nioh: Yuki Onna

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
Genichiro on top of Ashina Castle.
Mainly because, as opposed to most bosses in Sekiro, the infamous hit and run strat doesn't work on him at all. The moment you start running is the moment he stops you with arrow up your ass. That to me is an example of genius design. I played the game way before the door cheese was discovered, and there was no other way to beat him than to pass this incredible test of mastering the key combat mechanic of this game. Took me almost a whole day of trying and almost giving up but it's a gaming memory that is there to stay.

Kerotan

So many bosses from MGS3 and the series in general.

The End is one of the best. Blew my mind the depth to it for a PS2 game.

Split over 3 jungle sections, he's a camouflaged sniper who's so hard to hit first or sneak up on. First time around I failed a lot and he's traquilizer shots put me to sleep. You wake up in a prison cell a few miles away and must break out and return to challenge him again.

The most mind blowing things are if you take like 2 weeks and still haven't beaten him he dies from old age. And after a cut scene where you were spying on him and the main villian earlier in the game you can snipe him if you're fast and kill him avoiding the boss battle. He dramatically explodes and he's wheel chair bounces across the map and if you're not careful knocks you over.

Peak kojima and mind blowing as a teenager with a PS2.

Fuz

Banned
Not exactly sure why anymore, but I remember being very impressed with boss battles in OOT and Phantom Hourglass.

DogofWar

Psycho Mantis (MGS1) is probably my favorite boss mechanic-wise maybe ever.

When you talk before the boss fight, he "reads your mind". While I first laughed at this he then asked me if I liked Suikoden. The 10 year old me could not believe what I was hearing. How did he know that?!

That he also is able to move your controller if you put it on the floor for him (if you have a dual shock) is hilarious use of the hardware.

Speaking of the hardware... He can read your mind, so you can't defeat him. He just evades every single shot from you. Unless of course... You put the controller in the other slot on your playstation. Then he can no longer read your movements, as he can only read it in the normal controller slot.

Kojimaaaaaaaaa! Moment if there ever was one.

Iudex Gundyr - Dark Souls III

Iudex sits right at the beginning of the game, offering himself as an immediate challenge to newcomers. He's an incredibly easy boss once you've caught the basics of souls games, but if you don't attack with caution, he can be very unforgiving. Pair that with the fact that you have to beat him to move on to anything, he's very much a "Welcome to Dark Souls" moment, especially since there's the transformation into his second form that is likely to catch you off guard. You can cheese him, but really he's just there to tell you how to play the game, as he's much easier than most of what follows him from there on in.

Ustanak - Resident Evil 6

In the end of Jake and Sherry's campaign, after being stalked for hours by a BOW as unrelenting and even more threatening than Nemesis, you finally have the chance to give him his comeuppance and that comes in Jake and Ustanak duking it out on a wire platform above molten rock and metal. Is it over the top and crazy ridiculous? Absolutely. I live for that shit. Ustanak presents one of the best Stalker bosses in the franchise, and the incredibly satisfying gameplay of Resident Evil 6 makes everything leading up to this battle make it feel all the more exciting.

Tom Morello/Slash/The Devil - Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock

The fact that Activision got two guitar legends to come in and record tracks specifically to be used as guitar duels in this game is something that I don't think ever got enough praise. It's cool as hell, and makes the game's career mode really feel like you're dominating the world because you can outshred some American guitar legends. The variety of tracks for these boss battles, culminating in The Devil Went Down to Georgia just really cements Guitar Hero III as one of the most epic video campaigns of its generation. It was an excellent swan song for the PS2 (although a handful of future titles still came to the PS2, this was the real end of true mainline interest in remaining on PS2 hardware). I recently replayed this during this whole quarantine crisis, and man, does it hold up.

Muggshot - Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus

I may just be nostalgic, but every time I go back to play this game this shows to be my favorite boss fight of them all. It's challenging with the typical Sly unique platforming, and the way that Muggshot uses his firearms as well as the mirrors makes it a relatively unique boss fight coming off of Raleigh's more typical platformer style boss. Plus, the 90s Vegas Grunge that Mesa City has really makes his entire chapter a blast to play.

The Rat King - The Last of Us Part II

The dire environment/rumors surrounding the area really hyped this up to be something huge. When you were moving through the basement and you could hear the Rat King moving around but you couldn't quite figure out what it was, leading to its reveal and ultimate following fight sequence that tests your infected combat skills in the game in a way that not many other sequences do. Pair that with TLOU 2's kickass combat system, it's definitely made it one of the most memorable sequences of the game for me. The two separate phases as well as the restrictive yet advantageous combat arena just really do it for me.

Honorable Mentions include:

The Fucking Scorpion - Resident Evil 0
Free Bird - Guitar Hero II
Juggernauts - Modern Warfare 2

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned
Almost every boss in Yoshi's Island was incredibly innovative. The creativity really had me in awe.

And Viewtiful Joe, I love how they perfectly complemented the combat mechanics.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Agree with a couple of posted ones already, Stallord from Twilight Princess was a great multi phase boss that's core battle mechanic was actually based on the item you got in the dungeon, making it feel like a final exam of the Arbiter's Grounds. Each phase added a little level of challenge to it as well, while not actually changing what you need to use to win. Felt like a very videogamey boss fight, and I'm starting to miss those.

Liquid Snake as mentioned earlier, but this time from a narrative standpoint. Let's face it, introducing an entirely new combat system in the very last battle of the game is kind of a risky wtf endeavor, but it has Kojima all over it, and callbacks to the rest of the series (musically, dialogue, the setting being very reminiscent to the fist fight on REX) it just felt like an over the top, blockbuster celebration of all the absurdity that came before. Loved it.

As far as adding to the conversation, I've got a real soft spot for Quadraxis from Metroid Prime 2. Multi-stage boss battle utilizing several of your acquired weapons and tools in a logical but hectic way where you have to have a really good knowledge of where the enemy is, how to quickly reach the required equipment, and how to calm your nerves to make your shots all count. Paired with the ammo system, this battle had you constantly keeping track of like five different variables in your head at all times but it never felt overwhelming and if I died, I felt it was my fault, and not the game being cheap. Also doesn't hurt that it was the final encounter in the Sanctuary Fortress, the best part of that game.

Naked Lunch

Radiant Silvergun (Final Boss)
Xiga
Be Attitude for Gains
1. Be Praying
2. Be Praying
3. Be Praying

The blue crystal section (around 2:00) is one of the craziest moments in videogame history. I couldnt find any videos of a normal player tackling this boss as this guy runs through it with no mistakes. After nearly an hour and 30 minutes of challenging stages and dozens of bosses - it all ends with Xiga.
Radiant Silvergun: the ultimate eye/hand coordination videogame.

Last edited:
Top Bottom