• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Buy: Xenoblade WiiU. X? or it's Reyn time on HD?

Coolwhip

Banned
It would make so much sense to release a HD version. To give people something to play and to get to know the franchise. Do it!

Mileena

Banned
This is wrong. I'm playing it now. It looks fine.
It looks like a low res blurry mess on my Panasonic ST30. It's not fine by any stretch of the word. It's okay I solved the problem by playing it on Dolphin at 3x the resolution. Much more tolerable, but I still prefer a Wii U port.

tumblr_lr3pbjJTgQ1qa748ko1_500.png

It probably is a mistake. Aren't retailers the best?

TOO BAD!!!

Wf1t4s3.jpg

Anyway, you think they might beef up the graphics? Textures and shadows would be a start, textures are an eyesore in the Dolphin shots.

I really hope this is true (though I doubt it is). I have an EU copy of Xenoblade that I cannot play on my Wii U and don't feel like dropping $70 to buy it again.
Unless in HD of course.

Meelow

Banned
TOO BAD!!!

Wf1t4s3.jpg

Anyway, you think they might beef up the graphics? Textures and shadows would be a start, textures are an eyesore in the Dolphin shots.

If this is happening they will hopefully pull a Wind Waker HD and make the graphics, textures, everything look better.

BD1

Banned
Am I wrong in thinking that Nintendo used high resolution assets for their 1st party Wii games, and then "shrunk" them down to visual output capabilities of Wii? Making HD "remasters" a fairly easy process?

If that's the case, it wouldn't shock me to see Nintendo release a bunch of HD Wii games to fill the gaps in their pathetic release schedule.

I hope this is true. Monster Hunter Ultimate looks pretty damn good in HD. A port of Xenoblade with better textures and improved character models would be awesome.

I've had Xenoblade almost a year and still haven't beaten it...

Am I wrong in thinking that Nintendo used high resolution assets for their 1st party Wii games, and then "shrunk" them down to visual output capabilities of Wii? Making HD "remasters" a fairly easy process?

If that's the case, it wouldn't shock me to see Nintendo release a bunch of HD Wii games to fill the gaps in their pathetic release schedule.

I doubt it was specifically to make HD collections, but it is true on a few games.

Brawl has weirdly high-resolution model textures that you don't notice unless you're zooming in or playing on Dolphin.

Meelow

Banned

I remember reading from somewhere that when Nintendo made Wii games they started out as HD games and than downscaled for Wii.

Don't know if it's true though.

Effect

I doubt it was specifically to make HD collections, but it is true on a few games.

Brawl has weirdly high-resolution model textures that you don't notice unless you're zooming in or playing on Dolphin.

I remember reading about that. I think the same was said to have been the case with Skyward Sword but I could be wrong.

Actually wouldn't all games that get a significant improvement by being run on Dolphin be like this? Xenoblade should be included in that group.

Why the fuck do people want HD ports? Why not make sequels? Stop trying to promote rehashing which is what nintendo is best known for.

brainpann

Why the fuck do people want HD ports? Why not make sequels? Stop wanting what I don't want!

Here, I fixed that for you.

Seriously though, everyone releases HD remakes, Nintendo the least which. If people want that and there is a market for it.....then, get over it.

Why the fuck do people want HD ports? Why not make sequels? Stop trying to promote rehashing which is what nintendo is best known for.
Xenoblade isn't a particularly common Wii game in the US, and is already skyrocketing in price. In this case, I think an HD remaster is fine.

Eteric Rice

Nintendo would be smart to re-release their more liked Wii games on the Wii U. Xenoblade, Last Story, Little King Story, Metroid Trilogy, etc would probably get a second chance on the system.

Nuklear

Banned
Hopefully it's a HD version. The game looks great on Dolphin so there should be very little graphically they would have to change.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
The game isn't even out for year in the US. How does that make sense?

Because currently it is very hard to get. If an HD release is relatively easy to accomplish, makes sense to do it on your new system.

GulAtiCa

The game isn't even out for year in the US. How does that make sense?

Keep in mind the game actually came out 3 years ago in Japan. It may have only recently came to us, but globally the game isn't that new.

I'd welcome a HD version any day

I own both the EU and NA version, and I'd gladly rebuy an HD version of this game if it means more people can play this game.

*shrugs*

Xun

Indeed.

People say Nintendo will find it hard to adjust to a HD console, but I think they've been preparing for it for a while.

pestul

Well that title is getting harder to acquire so it would be a good thing... even though I got a used NA copy of it for $40 a while ago. Would I buy it again as an HD remake? Probably.

JaseMath

The more I think about it, it makes no sense to port this over. After all, the demand for Xenonlade was never really there outside of the Rainfall community. Secondly, the Wii U is backwards-compatible with the existing Wii library. Why would Nintendo divert money and resources away from other projects when they could easily just print more copies?

King_Moc

Banned
You and I have different ideas about what hideous means. I thought it looked fine and some of the vistas were quite beautiful.

No, it definitely looks hideous.

i5AjEqmyYRHl5.png

I wasn't cherry picking with the location, that was where it was when i loaded. Look at the pixels!

The art design is great, but it desperately needs better tech, because their vision has been done no justice whatsoever on the Wii.

JaseMath

No, it definitely looks hideous.

i5AjEqmyYRHl5.png

I wasn't cherry picking with the location, that was where it was when i loaded. Look at the pixels!

The art design is great, but it desperately needs better tech, because their vision has been done no justice whatsoever on the Wii.
The visuals don't bother nearly as much as the animation. No HD port is going to fix that.

The more I think about it, the less sense it makes to port this over. First of all, the demand for Xenonlade was never really there outside of the Rainfall community. Secondly, the Wii U is backwards-compatible with the existing Wii library and I can't see Nintendo diverting money and resources away from other projects when they could easily print more copies.

And yet it makes sense to me to sell an HD port of Xenoblade to hype up X. Why bother reprinting when you can just sell a better version of it? Easy money really.

AzaK

I have a related question. I have never played Xenoblade but it looks interesting. I played the Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate Wii U demo the other day and thought it was complete garbage. Is Xenoblade like that at all?

King_Moc

Banned
I have a related question. I have never played Xenoblade but it looks interesting. I played the Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate Wii U demo the other day and thought it was complete garbage. Is Xenoblade like that at all?

A few of the quests are comparable, but it plays more like an MMO style RPG. And it has a proper story with linear progression through areas.

Ridley327

No; it's easier to compare it to FFXII, in terms of how it plays.

Top Bottom