• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Character in a JRPG?

jWILL253

Banned
I saw the best cast thread and wanted to spin it off without derailing, so here goes.

For me, it's Vivi Ornitier from Final Fantasy IX.

Vivi_Orunitia.jpg

Within the game's lore, black mages are generally treated like soulless husks, incapable of thought, feelings, or decision. Basically, they are regarded as tools, or even playdolls, depending on who's telling. Vivi is very different. He's a highly sentient black mage, one with a shy, child-like personality.

What makes him so amazing to me is his progression as a character; he's shown more growth throughout a given story than any character in any video game I've ever played.
His coming to terms with his own existence, how he came to be, death ("stopping"), finding a will to live and keep fighting on, and realizing he isn't alone...
these are the things that make him such a great character in my eyes.

Also, if you happen to piss him off...

You'll be like:

GTuWi.gif

Esura

Banned
Lightning from FFXIII series and Neptune from Hyperdimension Neptunia series.

Lightning because she is a strong woman who is just completely badass. Neptune because she is adorable as hell and because she is a ditz. Not only that but she is goofy and can be immature occasionally but when times get tough and shit gets real Neptune comes through for her friends in the end. My ditzy, lovable protagonist.

Ninja Dom

If we're not counting anybody from the Mother/Earthbound games then the best character is...

...Edge, The Ninja Prince of Eblan from Final Fantasy IV.

Yeah, I haven't played too many JRPG's.

Paertan

Chris Lightfellow from Suikoden 3 gets my vote. Such a great character
Oc71WFpm.png

Though I also really like Vivi from FFIX

Toxi

Banned
I'd probably go with Caim from Drakengard, if only because he bucks the standard when it comes to JRPG heroes. Drakengard may have been a shitty game, but it's one of the few role-playing games out there that actually portrays its protagonist as an unstable mass-murdering psychopath while he's cutting through swathes of enemy soldiers. That's gotta count for something.

Your hero.
Caim.jpg

Scias from Breath of Fire 4. A man of few words, but a complete and total badass. He seemed mildly retarded (or had some kind of speech impediment) in the US version, but I heard he was supposed to be drunk all the time in the Japanese version. Either way he is a great character.

Bleep

I always find it interesting when people say that blank slate characters are their favourite. These characters are specifically made to be a conduit for the player to connect to the world, they don't develop any characteristics of their own. It is all defined by the player, you are your own favourite character.

I haven't played Persona 4 Arena though, so maybe he actually has his own characteristics in that game.

Arthea

Cloud and all FF7 cast, Auron and FFX cast in general, Cecil, Celes, Shadow, Viki, Silverberg family (ya, all of it), Chris, Geddoe and all his gang, Lorelai, Killey, Georg, hundreds of other Suikoden characters, well almost all in fact, Kaim, Seth, Tear, Jade, with most of ToA cast.
You asked for one? Can't decide... but if I absolutely had to choose one, I would choose Viki, I think.

Top Bottom