• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best character modelling in real-time

What are the best examples of character modelling you have seen in real-time? It can be in cutscenes or actual gameplay. The only requirement is that it has to be from an actual game.

Here is my nomination. Each hair strand is individually rendered so no hair clumps, realistic skin rendering, realistic eye modelling and the light illuminates his face in a realistic manner. It's life like.

EjNIiTAVoAA5518

Last edited:
I think Quantum Break had some pretty seamless cuts from realtime to pre-rendered footage, so I can't be certain which these are from, but goddamn do they look nice. I found it mindblowing to watch.
YpANudC.png
M6AfbmB.jpg

Top one could be real time. The bottom one surely has to be prerendered. If it isn't then that's amazing.

What are the best examples of character modelling you have seen in real-time? It can be in cutscenes or actual gameplay. The only requirement is that it has to be from an actual game.

Here is my nomination. Each hair strand is individually rendered so no hair clumps, realistic skin rendering, realistic eye modelling and the light illuminates his face in a realistic manner. It's life like.

EjNIiTAVoAA5518

Did you add Raytracing to your avy?

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
Top one could be real time. The bottom one surely has to be prerendered. If it isn't then that's amazing.
The second one's my own screenshot, and to be honest, the fuzziness from the upscaling (due to my inability to run the game on high settings) really creates the appearance that, behind the visual flaws, you're peering at an obscured reality. The pre-rendered cutscenes, as far as I remember, were just recordings of in-engine footage, so I don't think the models actually looked any better than in the realtime footage.

Though I hate the effect, I also think chromatic aberration can create the appearance that, if only you could remove the glaring flaws, you'd be looking straight at a true-to-life rendering.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
This looks freaking dope man. Side note. Watching The Boys on Amazon and I really like his character
Whenever I see Shawn Ashmore in a movie with my friend, I like to declare "it's Quantum Break himself!"
Did you know he has a mostly-identical twin brother? They both played separate characters in Smallville.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
Is that rendered in game or just a movie?
I think that one's a promotional shot, but here's two of my own screenshots of Senua. Rendered at my paltry resolution of 1600x900, since I haven't found a 1080p monitor that looks as vibrant at 0% brightness yet, and now my local Best Buy's gone so I can no longer demo monitors before buying :lollipop_confounded:.
Looking at that second shot, the film grain's another example of a visual flaw that helps create the illusion of reality behind the filtering.
jQSKfWH.jpg
jd8fZvJ.jpg

Last edited:

SirTerry-T

This topic needs "photogrammetry" and "traditional" sections, as most of these entrants are created from scan data..for the most part (heads, some clothing).
Naughty Dog don't tend to use scandata (or at least don't admit to it) so I'd give them the nod out of these lot.
Though, personally I can look at a character such as Kas from BOTW and be just as impressed with what the character artist(s) have created.

Last edited:

AllyITA

I think that one's a promotional shot, but here's two of my own screenshots of Senua. Rendered at my paltry resolution of 1600x900, since I haven't found a 1080p monitor that looks as vibrant at 0% brightness yet, and now my local Best Buy's gone so I can no longer demo monitors before buying :lollipop_confounded:.
Looking at that second shot, the film grain's another example of a visual flaw that helps create the illusion of reality behind the filtering.
seeing the intro of senua in VR is really impressive.

nkarafo

Not sure if it's the best looking but the character from Horizon Zero Down supposedly uses the highest amount of polygons. Just the hair uses the same amount as a full, current gen character.

cbe850307d65fc4ba978c174cc3727fe.jpg

Last edited:

EjNIiTAVoAA5518

Some of the character models in Death Stranding are insane as well, even God of War 2018 Kratos, Ellie in TLOU Part II, Jin Sakai in Ghost of Tsushima to name a few

RPS37

The thing about Quantum Break too was they also had their little live action tv show that they played between levels.
Sometimes I couldn’t tell if it was live action or not when they started.

Falc67

I would have said this, but I've seen a new screenshot supposedly from the next gen version recently, and it looks significantly worse.
nba-2k21-ps5-trailer-01.jpg

If this is indeed real time, then this wins. Again, I doubt the actual game will look like this.

SenuaChant_8K.jpg

supernova8

Banned
Detroit and tlou2 but a lot of games have incredible models nowadays, even yakuza with the drqgon engine is almost life like with some character.
Yakuza-3.jpg

Imagine the same team with ND money...

New peter parker looks like a lil bitch.

Thing with Yakuza is that it's super inconsistent. Sure you have faces like that in the game but you also have:

kEjIISm.jpg

this garbage that kills the immersion. Look at that guy on the left. Straight from Xbox 360 lol.

GymWolf

Thing with Yakuza is that it's super inconsistent. Sure you have faces like that in the game but you also have:

kEjIISm.jpg

this garbage that kills the immersion. Look at that guy on the left. Straight from Xbox 360 lol.
Dude all the main and secondary character are super detailed, the guys in the photo are not even tertiary character, they are just goons that you use in the minigame, also the image is pretty blurry, they look decent for a AA game.

Do you judge tlou2 models by the low quality unnamed npcs in the 2 big locations of the game??
Jackson_Waking_Up_volunteer_requst_artifact_colletible_location.png

This is how kiryu look from a close distance
117909d18d4c83c6d5b906b37d3fe7b4e2723010.jpg

The only game in existence that has high quality models for almost every npc in the game is horizon zero dawn.

Last edited:

GymWolf

I would have said this, but I've seen a new screenshot supposedly from the next gen version recently, and it looks significantly worse.
nba-2k21-ps5-trailer-01.jpg

If this is indeed real time, then this wins. Again, I doubt the actual game will look like this.

SenuaChant_8K.jpg
The black guy just bought a switch before taking the pic.

It's good but it's not a step up compared to current gen games at all
detroit-become-human-screen-21-ps4-us-12jun17

Detroit Become Human had quite a few moments where the real time was very life like, depending on animation and lighting conditions. Cannot wait to see what they can do with the new gen consoles.

T8SC

tomb-raider-original-game.jpg

Ok maybe not impressive now but this was amazing back in '96 (No pre-rendered backgrounds either like RE1). These days it's all just small incremental changes and hard to really notice when playing the game if its actually better than other games that are out.

Top Bottom