• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best character modelling in real-time

CrysisFreak

Banned
ellierdr2.jpg

Death Stranding
Last of Us 2
Spider-man
Hellblade
Tomb Raider
Injustice 2
God of War
Mortal Kombat 11
Uncharted: Lost Legacy
Uncharted 4
Horizon Zero Dawn
Quantum Break
Detroit: Become Human

Craig from Halo Infinite

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Death Stranding
Last of Us 2
Spider-man
Hellblade
Tomb Raider
Injustice 2
God of War
Mortal Kombat 11
Uncharted: Lost Legacy
Uncharted 4
Horizon Zero Dawn
Quantum Break
Detroit: Become Human

Craig from Halo Infinite

Do you only play exclusives? There aren't many multi platform games on that list.

Nymphae

Banned
Recently I was actually very surprised at the quality of the cinematic sequences in CoD WW2, I downloaded it to play some MP with my buddy last week and we just started the campaign to see a bit, man it looks incredible and I was particularly impressed with how individual and unique each of the characters looked.

Perhaps not the best but I found it pretty impressive

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
The characters in TLOU2 character model viewer.... I swear, these are the best looking, most detailed models I've ever seen. Make ps4 crawl too. These are not playable modeld but these are rendered live and You can rotate.
As in-game? Death Stranding easily. Die Hardman is still the most real looking man rendered in real time.
DdXP44d.png

some spoilers for the character that is:
5ChlQ53.png

hLkVPse.png

Do you only play exclusives? There aren't many multi platform games on that list.

I play literally everything. Those are just some of the ones that come to mind immediately because I play so many games. COD, Nioh 2, RE2, Gears 5, FF7: Remake, Until Dawn, MGS5 and RE3 are some honorable mentions that also came to mind that I forgot to list.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Recently I was actually very surprised at the quality of the cinematic sequences in CoD WW2, I downloaded it to play some MP with my buddy last week and we just started the campaign to see a bit, man it looks incredible and I was particularly impressed with how individual and unique each of the characters looked.

Perhaps not the best but I found it pretty impressive

Mehhh..

Is not that impressive.

Calverz

What are the best examples of character modelling you have seen in real-time? It can be in cutscenes or actual gameplay. The only requirement is that it has to be from an actual game.

Here is my nomination. Each hair strand is individually rendered so no hair clumps, realistic skin rendering, realistic eye modelling and the light illuminates his face in a realistic manner. It's life like.

EjNIiTAVoAA5518

46sCldX.jpg

iconmaster

Banned
I'm not sure any game character has been as convincing for me as the facial capture characters from L.A. Noire.

Cp5x.gif

2QJaSp4.gif

Usually with the best game humans my reaction is, "Wow, they did a great job with the modeling/texturing/animation." In L.A. Noire I just accepted characters as people. [Or ❎ doubted them]

I do. Dare I ask my boss to allow me to pop home to bring some pictures of Lara Croft back to work to show people on the internet though? :messenger_grinning_smiling:
Do it. I've already spoken to your boss, and said "it's cool breh, take the rest of the day off".

TR definitely looks amazing, especially maxed out with RTX.

Warablo

Any of the David Cage games, Detroit: Become Human and Beyond Two Souls are my favorite.

Other nominees: Quantum Break, Control, RDR 2, TLOU 2

Last edited:

Batiman

Banned
I think Quantum Break had some pretty seamless cuts from realtime to pre-rendered footage, so I can't be certain which these are from, but goddamn do they look nice. I found it mindblowing to watch.
YpANudC.png
M6AfbmB.jpg
What a great looking game it was.

Top Bottom