• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best city builders on console?

cormack12

Gold Member
I'm still playing Tropico 6 at the moment and I kind of like the game loop immensely. I was waiting for Skyline II but that's in a shit state and doubt the console version will come in on time or optimised.

I looked at Anno 1800 and while it looks amazing graphically, I don't think the loop is for me.

Skylines 2 is awesome but not on console till next year.
Skylines 1 is great too, tons of dlc, get it on sale if you do and only get the main dlcs that intrest you, if you do.

Surviving mars. --- super fun game, underrated Mars colonization.
Aven colony- fun for a bit
Frost Punk - very unique steampunk/end of the world (earth turns to ice) scenario.
Tropico 5 and 6 - both are fun. I recommend both of them. Most like 6 better but 5 has different missions and better dlc, imo. Tropico is being a dictator of an island.
Prison Architect- Build your own supermax. Really fun, but dlc stopped a year ago. The dev only updates now on pc... grr.
Urbeck - City building by resources not cash. Very unique game, blocky look, but if you are like me and play for the strategy/experience and not "realistic graphics" then this is unique and fun.
Dawn of man - caveman time.
RimWorld - crash landed planet colony. Highly rated..... play it!!!!
Stranded alien dawn - like rimworld but no auto story generator and in 3d.
Two point hospital/campus - humorours build your own hospital game. Think ps1 theme hospital.
Endzone worlds a part- Nuclear apocolypse rebuild city builder
Surviving the Aftermath -Same as endzone, just different.
Anno 1800 - production chain city builder.

City Builders and Roguelikes are my thing. If you have a pc, there are tons more (not enough), just let me know and I will list those.

Manor lords I think is getting a console release, the demo on pc is awesome.

Last edited:
Surviving mars. --- super fun game, underrated Mars colonization.
Aven colony- fun for a bit
Frost Punk - very unique steampunk/end of the world (earth turns to ice) scenario.
Tropico 5 and 6 - both are fun. I recommend both of them. Most like 6 better but 5 has different missions and better dlc, imo. Tropico is being a dictator of an island.
Prison Architect- Build your own supermax. Really fun, but dlc stopped a year ago. The dev only updates now on pc... grr.
Urbeck - City building by resources not cash. Very unique game, blocky look, but if you are like me and play for the strategy/experience and not "realistic graphics" then this is unique and fun.
Dawn of man - caveman time.
RimWorld - crash landed planet colony. Highly rated..... play it!!!!
Stranded alien dawn - like rimworld but no auto story generator and in 3d.
Two point hospital/campus - humorours build your own hospital game. Think ps1 theme hospital.
Endzone worlds a part- Nuclear apocolypse rebuild city builder
Surviving the Aftermath -Same as endzone, just different.
Anno 1800 - production chain city builder.

City Builders and Roguelikes are my thing. If you have a pc, there are tons more (not enough), just let me know and I will list those.

Manor lords I think is getting a console release, the demo on pc is awesome.

This is the exact same list I'd type out

+1 for dawn of man, need to go back and finish up some of the trails. I like this game a lot

Anno is good, but I get very anal with space management so my island's look very uniform

Prison Architect/ twopoint hospital are fun but I did drop after a bit though

I prefer tropico 5 to 6, waiting for all the dlc to drop to go back to 6 and finish it

Choose either StA or EZ, they are basically the same game, EZ being native PS5, but StA having some DLC to change things up and increase difficulty, but being a PS4 game. The themes, look and gameplay loop are almost exactly the same

I liked Avon Colony a lot but there's no reason to back once you've finished, unlike Surviving Mars which has lots of DLC now, so I'd go with SM easy

FrostPunk I love! Can't wait for the second one. Need to be a bit of a bastard sometimes to your guys, they don't know what's good for them! Only issue I have is there is a hard limit on number of buildings on console, its not a major problem as most people will have finished that run ages before you hit it, but I wanted to fill in all the space in sandbox, have a mega city in the ice. You can't...

Rimworld and Stranded Dawn are on my wishlist to buy on sale/get on ps+
Not even heard of Urbeck so I'll have to look into that!

I'd perhaps throw into the mix the Jurassic Park Evolution games, not a proper city builder, but a dino world builder with stupid humans getting eaten by the t-rex's occasionally

If you want a little more difficulty/scale/tactics (not really pure city builders) Crusader Kings3 is an empire builder but comes with a LOT of learning! And is based on you wanting to ruthlessly rule the world so requires much more attacking than a standard city builder and isn't as relaxed at all. Always someone trying to kill you in amusing ways

Stellaris is a Galaxy builder. More forgiving with the learning compared to CK3 but still lots to play with, each planet being a city that you build your buildings to suit your needs for your Civ, and the console version is finally catching up to the PC version DLC wise, only about ~6 months behind now, again, not as relaxed as a pure city builder with fleets to build for defence and attack, as close to a startrek/starwars galaxy sim I'm ever likely to get on console I fear

Age of Wonders Planetfall too is another to look at too?

Probably others that I'm forgetting

Top Bottom