• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best "director's cut" version of a game?

SkylineRKR

MGS3 Subsistence
DMC3 SE
DMC4 SE
Ninja Gaiden Black
Kingdom Hearts Final Mix versions
FFXII Zodiac

Castlevania btw, its shit on Saturn. I've had both versions. Maria was awesome but the performance and graphics are shit. The new areas have been cut for a reason, they're fucking useless. 3rd button is the best upgrade so yeah.

TheMoon

Here's two some don't really think about because they both happened as part of the localization process and the West never got the vanilla versions, only the improved ones:

51X%2B8Ol1MxL.jpg
406352_front.jpg
Fantasy Life Link! added local/online co-op and the Origin Island expansion content (which was available as separate DLC for the Western release which only included the multiplayer options out of the box)

• Origin Island, which is a totally new area to explore, with loads of new quests to complete, and enemies and bosses to defeat.
  • Extra elements for character customisation.
  • New materials, ranks and recipes.
  • New types of pets: birds and dragons!
  • A new holiday home, new home décor and additional items.
  • The Friendship system: allies that you take along on adventures repeatedly will become more friendly towards you, and the more they like you, the better they are in a scrap!
  • Exclusive items to exchange for Lunares Coins.

Bravely Default: For the Sequel was an updated edition of Bravely Default: Flying Fairy. For the Sequel is the version that was localized for the Western release.

It added:

• Auto-battle system.
  • Ability to speed up battle actions.
  • A new feature called Bravely Second.
  • Inclusion of Nemeses, unique enemies found when examining the reconstruction of Norende Village.
  • Ability to change the game difficulty and encounter rate.
  • Improved town graphics.
  • Improved character interface that shows stats on the bottom screen.
  • Improved battle interface that shows the command input.
  • Improved Party Chat interface that shows the characters making facial expressions and reactions.
  • Additional language options for English, German, French, Italian, and Spanish.
  • Two additional save slots.
  • Inclusion of the Event Viewer in D's Journal, which collects all cutscenes, Party Chats, and Full motion videos.
  • New sub-scenarios involving the asterisk bearers are added for Chapters 7 and 8.
  • Inclusion of a Special Movie teaser that announces a sequel to the game, Bravely Second: End Layer.

...wasn't performance of the DC a nightmare on PC?

The original Wii U version of DC is the one that matters since that has all the actual Director's Cut content and seamless GamePad integration that perfectly fits in with the game.

It is the definitive version of MGS.

Doesn't qualify since it's a full on remake and this is not a "best remakes" thread :D

I think the Ocarina of Time: Master Quest was pretty good. None of the bells and whistles of a remake, but made my millionth playthrough interesting!

Doesn't really qualify as a "director's cut" though. Those are supposed to "replace" the original. Master Quest is just a remixed version for unique replay value.

Gunblade47

Neo Member
85873_front.jpg

Features:
  • The game includes twelve License Boards (instead of the original one), each corresponding to a different Zodiac sign and job.
  • The battle system as a whole has been tweaked; guest characters and summons are controllable by the player.
  • Holding the L1 button doubles the game's running speed.
  • Additionally, the game features the English voices and the widescreen 16:9 ratio support of the North American version.
  • There is also a "New Game+" option, "New Game- (minus)" (where characters do not gain experience), and a "Trial Mode" which allows the player to hunt monsters in 100 different maps to gain items and money.

I was honestly a bit skeptical of this game at first. On paper it didn't really sound like much of a change and I wasn't a fan of limiting the characters, but it won me over.

The permanent job selection means your choice does matter and that everyone in your team has some roll to play instead of just having one OP party and another backup "Oh Shit! Gotta ress quick" party.
The loot system has also changed massively, with a lot of the random drops being toned down and some weapons received buffs to make them relevant. As a whole it felt that I had to rediscover the game world.
Other than that the Quickening (Limit Break) system no longer consumes mp so you can now use it without sacrificing all your buffs and heals.
I haven't gotten to floor 100 in the trial run, but from the sound of it it's probably one of the hardest optional boss fights in the series.

Overall a great version that did the original game's vision justice!

images

Easily the best end game content ever added. You can basically DOUBLE the playtime in relation to the base game by completing everything. Oh, and it also comes bundled with a full remake of the GBA entry, so you can add there another 30h of extra fun!

images

New features

Features

A new difficulty mode called Critical Mode.
Textures redone with a better definition.
A new Drive Form called "Limit Form" has abilities from Kingdom Hearts and Kingdom Hearts Final Mix, and also bears resemblance to Sora's outfit from the original game.
A new mini-game called Puzzle, which unlocks special items.
Many Heartless received palette swaps.

Storyline

New cutscenes based on the Kingdom Hearts II novels were added; some involve Roxas, including scenes of him conversing with Axel in Twilight Town while wearing the Organization's signature black coat. There are also additional scenes of Roxas and Riku, including shots of their second battle, where Riku takes on the form of Ansem, Seeker of Darkness, Naminé leaving with Axel, Riku and Sora talking before they battle 2nd Armored Xemnas, Xigbar and Zexion talking about Xemnas, and the Organization discussing their plans and commenting on incidents like Axel's death.
Zexion's weapon is revealed - a large book called a "Lexicon", which he can use to trap his enemies in an alternate reality.
Battles

Members of Organization XIII that were eliminated in Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories can be found and fought in the various worlds of Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix. They each use different fighting tactics from the ones they employed in Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories. They include Vexen, Larxene, Marluxia, Lexaeus, and Zexion.

An area of Radiant Garden, called the Cavern of Remembrance, can be accessed. It houses a series of battle simulations with each member of Organization XIII. This is a separate feature from the secret battles with the Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories Organization members in that the simulation allows the player to repeat any battle with an Organization member as often as they like. The simulation features highly powered-up Organization members, similar to the level bonuses offered to enemies in the Hades Paradox Cup.

A battle against the mysterious Lingering Will can be unlocked at Disney Castle.

Battles with the Mushroom XIII can be fought.

The battle between Sora and Roxas in the Station of Awakening is made playable.

Bonuses

A "Theater Mode" - menu where previously viewed cutscenes can be watched again with either English or Japanese voices by pressing L2 and R2.

A new secret ending video titled "Birth by sleep", a teaser for Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep.

Secret features can be accessed in Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix by clearing Kingdom Hearts Re:Chain of Memories, and vice versa.

Roxas's story is expanded in Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix, including his fight with Riku.

A Crown, Bronze, Silver or Gold, can appear on Sora's head for defeating the following in any order:
All Mushroom XIII Heartless
All Data Battles
Lingering Will
These can be unlocked once the player gets a Clear Game Data

Twilight Town Changes:
Conditions to end the battle in front of the station have changed (Either connect 100 hits, go below 30% health, or battle for ninety seconds)
Addition of Limit Form Mirror in the Mysterious Tower

Hollow Bastion Changes:
After the event with Sephiroth, a scene with Yuna and the others flying out of a hole in the castle wall is shown

Land of Dragons Changes:
The morale gauge depletes at quicker intervals requiring the player to finish the missions faster.
Value of “surprise attack” spirit gauge has been reduced
Carts and boxes don’t reappear after leaving the screen and returning (so you can’t get drive balls so easily)

Beast's Castle Changes:
Conditions to end the battle in the Parlor have changed (Either connect 100 hits, go below 30% health, or battle for ninety seconds)
Cogsworth gets tired more easily
Olympus Coliseum Changes:
The time limit for which the player must defeat Pete, while protecting Megara, has changed from 2 minutes to ninety seconds

Disney Castle changes:
Enemies do not drop prize boxes while protecting Minnie

Timeless River changes:
Changes have been made to the four time window battles

Agrabah changes:
Conditions to end the battle in the street have changed (Either connect 100 hits, go below 30%, or battle for ninety seconds)
The battle at the Sandswept Ruins has changed (enemies do not drop prize boxes and the time to activate the switches after examining the monument has increased from thirty to forty-five seconds)

Halloween Town changes:
New costumes and music in Christmas Town

100 Acre Wood changes:
Time for Episode 4 changed from three to five minutes
Episode 5 rules have been changed
Drive Forms are available in minigames

The World That Never Was changes:
Xigbar changes his gun movement when attempting to snipe you from above.

Addition of Critical Mode:
Compared To Standard and Proud, enemies inflict twice the damage, except for the Mushroom XIII who inflict 1.25× the damage
Several abilities are granted on the third day (Reaction Boost, Finishing Plus, Draw, 2x Lucky Lucky, MP Hastera and EXP Zero)
Roxas's initial AP is 50
AP increases by increments of 3 instead of 2
Compared to Standard and Proud, HP and MP quantities from Bonus Levels are halved (You only get sixty instead of 120 HP)
Compared to Standard and Proud, EXP gained is three-quarters of the normal amount
Save file displays "Critical Mode"
Unlocking the "Birth by sleep" video just requires you to win the Gold Crown
In the PS2 Browser screen, there is a symbol attached to the save data file on the memory card
Filling the Drive Gauge is easier and the maximum "level" for the Drive Gauge has increased to nine

New weapons and accessories:
Winner's Proof
Executive's Ring
Highest Ribbon
Spell's Relic+
Akashic Record+
Frozen Pride and Frozen Pride+
Centurion and Centurion+
Shade Archive and Shade Archive+
Full Bloom and Full Bloom+
Shock Charm and Shock Charm+
Two Become One
Pleasure Mushroom, Pleasure Mushroom+, Precious Mushroom , Precious Mushroom+, Premium Mushroom
Happy Mushroom, Happy Mushroom+, Palatial Mushroom, Palatial Mushroom+, Limited Mushroom

The amount of rebalancing and extra features in thjs version is astonishing. It could easily become a new game on its own!

Glass

I'm not sure how many of these 'Directors Cut' style games actually having Directors Cut style commentary, but running through DX Human Revolution a second time with the developers commentary was really cool. It wasn't even all talking up the game, a lot of it was issues they had with sections of the game and what they wish they could do differently.

Salvadora

I already thought Gen 4 was great thanks to DP but Platinum was on a whole new level. Favorite Pokémon game ever, nothing will ever come close.
I like that it took place during Winter, added a lot of charm to the region.

I will be so disappointed if the inevitable remakes don't incorporate a huge amount of what made Platinum so great.

It's without doubt the best 3rd version of any Pokemon game.

Dremark

Banned
You do realize the radical changes were forced by Kojima right?

They weren't exactly forced by him, Kitamura asked how close to keep things and Kojima told him to destroy it. He gave him free reign to do whatever he wanted and imo that's fine.

Regardless of anything the game is a full remake, not a director's cut so it really doesn't fit the criteria.

EpicBox

A lot of the best ones have already been mentioned, so I will add Assassin's Creed.

As well as including a bunch of extra side missions, this version of the first AC game added proper fast travel, which was a huge improvement.

TheMoon

I'm not sure how many of these 'Directors Cut' style games actually having Directors Cut style commentary, but running through DX Human Revolution a second time with the developers commentary was really cool. It wasn't even all talking up the game, a lot of it was issues they had with sections of the game and what they wish they could do differently.

Barely any game has dev commentary. Most often it's text boxes only, too.

Some games with dev commentary are Portal (text) [probably more Valve games but don't remember which ones], Thomas Was Alone (audio), Alan Wake (audio) ... ah well, here's a list: http://www.giantbomb.com/developer-commentary/3015-2334/

Javier23

Banned
You do realize the radical changes were forced by Kojima right?
As far as I remember I think it was more like he gave them the green light to experiment with the cutscenes as much as they wanted.

There's things that work in TTS and things that don't (slapping the MGS2 mechanics verbatim on it, tonal issues, artistically both MGS and MGS2 remaining superior, the poorer voice acting...).Ultimately the original clearly remains the better version and it's such a shame because of everything that was done pretty well.

It's great for you if you prefer TTS, but calling it "definitely the best version" is debatable at best and misleading to people who may not have yet played either game.

Jackpot

Banned
latest

There's a shit-ton of extras but really it's the 3rd person camera that matters. It fixes a lot of problems introduced due to enemies now having a realistic vision range, the absence of a practical radar, and the difficulty of hiding in an analogue forest rather than corridors filled with right-angles.

KevinCow

Banned
5gDy4xE.jpg

Brought back four characters from previous games that weren't in 63 1/3.

Actually it kinda sucked, because it was a Blockbuster rental exclusive. It was the definitive version of the game and you couldn't even buy it.

But I just love that it's called "Sculptor's Cut".

Deus Ex Human Revolution Director's Cut fixed some very annoying things about the original. A genuine upgrade.

Came here to post this exact game. The Wii U version with the GamePad as the neural hub easily takes definitive version. This is also stated by the developers in the commentary!

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
5gDy4xE.jpg

Brought back four characters from previous games that weren't in 63 1/3.

Actually it kinda sucked, because it was a Blockbuster rental exclusive. It was the definitive version of the game and you couldn't even buy it.

But I just love that it's called "Sculptor's Cut".
I remember this!! It being so elusive made it that much more appealing. I wonder how hard it is to get nowadays...

Demoskinos

Ninja_Gaiden_3_RE_box_artwork.jpg

This version of the game improved Ninja Gaiden 3 by leaps and bounds. I don't think a lot of people gave this one a chance though seeing as a lot of people were burned by the vanilla version of NG3. But this version is actually a really solid game! The addition of Kasumi for the first time ever to a Ninja Gaiden game was also a fun treat.

Top Bottom