• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Games Nobody Played in 2012

It's "Game Of The Year" discussion time in the gaming corners of the internet. Everyone is tripping over themselves to praise Mass Effect 3, Halo 4, Borderlands 2 et al. I'm a sucker for best of lists, so I really do get drawn into good healthy discussions about which AAAA titles worked the best, and which deserves the praise. I also think it's great that the discussion for GOTY has included some awesome downloadable games this year, with Journey winning tons of deserved praise, and The Walking Dead reinvigorating an entire genre.

What I am always MOST intrigued with in my own personal gaming life, is getting into the games that for whatever weren't hits. Stuff that's too weird for the mainstream. Games that might be a little broken but have a lot of charm to them. Games that maybe didn't deliver on their promises, but ended up offering a fun experience none the less.

I think my top candidates would be first and for most Scribblenauts Unlimited.

Scribblenauts-Unlimited-TQ1-600x378.jpg

It arrived late in 2012, but it packs an amazing amount of charm. Scribblenauts Unlimited might be the first "complete" game offered in the series. It came out on some not-so-mainstream platforms (3DS, PC, Wii U) which kept it out of the hands of your mainstream audience. It offers up a lot of the "same" that can be found in the other games. Judging by the official thread which only went to something like 6 pages, nobody played this.

Why I liked it, and you will too: It's simplistic "hand drawn" art style is easy on the eyes. When you play Maxwell (the loveable protaganist), it isn't about 60fps 1080p gameplay, it's about using your imagination. Without giving a 3-page gameplay description, it basically boils down to typing in objects/items, giving them to various characters in a level, and solving the puzzle. You do it in the easiest/most complicated way you want, and it's all limited by basically the depth of your imagination. The original got a lot of buzz here on NeoGAF when early descriptions of the game leaked out (Dinosaurs, Time Machines, and Shrink Rays oh my!). Then it came out, and many feel as though it fell short on gameplay, and wasn't the "must own" title that early impressions might have given. This one isn't perfect either, but with the new Object Creator, it's enough of a game changer to merit a buy. Anything that isn't there can be created, and it adds a lot to the overall game knowing you can put basically ANYTHING in there. And for the low price of entry on Steam/PC and the ability to share awesome creations, it's my top pick.

My other pick for GNPOTY (Game Nobody Played Of The Year) would be Lollipop Chainsaw.

LPC_Screen_11_cc_01_00001.jpg

This one hit during the early summer, and for whatever reason just never seemed to catch an audience. It seems every game Grasshopper Manufacture has ever put out could be a GNPOTY: Killer7, No More Heros 1/2, Shadows of the Damned. I think Goichi Suda might be the David Lynch of video games. Always missing the ingredient to make it palatable for a mainstream audience. Always missing the key components to be considered great. Always finding a cult following willing to swallow the bitter pill with a smile.

I swallowed.

Why I liked it, and you will too: Zombies. Busty Cheerleaders. A disembodied head protagonist. Seriously need I say more? Ok, so the game play might be a little slower paced than I would prefer, it still feels like it's working more than it's not working. It's a satisfying hack and slash game that offers up more humor and smiles than it does gratifying tight game play. I could try to compare it to a very beloved game in a similar style, with a similar lollipop eatting female badass, but I won't. Lollipop Chainsaw isn't Bayonetta. And I am sure there are more twitter posts talking about this game with a hashtag #1reasonwhy than most, but I guess I have a sense of humor. If you do too, you're gonna crack more than a few smiles.

I have plenty more GNPOTY candidates in my own head, but I am interested to hear what everyone else feels as though deserved to be put into the hands of more people.

KalBalboa

Banned
Starhawk & Max Payne 3, for me.

Starhawk bombed but deserved a bigger audience, without question, whereas Max Payne was swallowed up by Diablo 3 and lost some people thanks to LA Noire tarnishing the Rockstar pedigree, imo. It sold ok, but I honestly think it deserved to be one of the top five of the year like most Rockstar releases.

(Clearly I just love Max Payne 3 and wanted to hear more about it during GOTY talks, I apologize)

EX Troopers. I know it's an import, but little to no Japanese ability is required and it's a hell of a lot of fun.

Sorcery is another one. Requiring Move limits its potential audience, but it works really well with both the wand and navigation controllers and doesn't feel like it would be a lot better with a traditional controller.

nasos_333

Bravely Default, probably one of the best JRPGs in years, still not out in US/Europe

Few played it outside Japan for sure :)

K.Sabot

Free to play MMO Dragon Nest.

Just came on Steam today and it has the best combat in an MMO/Dungeon focused RPG that I've played.

Also has great writing, very funny game, more so than any other game I've played in recent memory.

Tokubetsu

I wanted to like Lollipop Chainsaw, I did. I bought it day one on PS3, I love the work of almost everyone involved but something about it was off about it for me. I wish it felt more "fluid" as vague as that is.

I think Mark of The Ninja is a game more people need to play.

SJRB

Gold Member

Starhawk bombed but deserved a bigger audience, without question, whereas Max Payne was swallowed up by Diablo 3 and lost some people thanks to LA Noire tarnishing the Rockstar pedigree, imo.

Nobody played Max Payne 3? Come on..

Nibel

Starhawk bombed but deserved a bigger audience, without question, whereas Max Payne was swallowed up by Diablo 3 and lost some people thanks to LA Noire tarnishing the Rockstar pedigree, imo.

Most people did play MP3, it sold ok but didn't set the world on fire

I'm pretty sure people played those games.

Same with these ones:

Dust: An Elysian Tail
Fez
Alan Wake's American Nightmare
Dyad
Tokyo Jungle
Dear Esther (was that this year? I know I got it this year)
Touch My Katamari

I think that's about as obscure as my gaming got this year.

Teleglitch is a really interesting game that seems to be getting almost no hype on GAF. It's an an indie top-down roguelike survival horror game that feels like a System Shock 2/Doom 3 demake. It really scratches an old-school itch. OT Here.

ohlawd

Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 2 is my favorite game this year that no one has played.

It's a DS SRPG. Of course no one's played it :)

Devil-Survivor-2-anime.jpg

EDIT: in case someone wants to be a smartass, that's the Japanese release date. It released 2/28/12 in NA.

Kazerei

Banned
Harvest Moon: A New Beginning. The subtitle is perfect because it really is a breath of fresh air for the series. It starts out slow because all the features are gradually introduced, but once it opens up, it's jam-packed with stuff to do. Biggest and best Harvest Moon ever.

I'll throw out Sound Shapes. Fantastic game, I'm not sure why there isn't more GOTY buzz around it.

Also, this reminds me I heard nothing but good things about Growlanser: Wayfarer of Time but I haven't pick it up yet. the holiday break seems like a good time to clean out the old vita memory card and make some space

Portugeezer

Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 2 is my favorite game this year that no one has played.

EDIT: in case someone wants to be a smartass, that's the Japanese release date. It released 2/28/12 in NA.

No Europe date...........................................

damn region lock.

edit: never mind, it's DS not 3DS.

VICI0US

I'll go with these 2

images

virt.jpg

Code of Princess and Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward. Two very niche, but very awesome, handheld games stealth released late in the year amongst a ton of other big releases.

Disappointing compared to Devil Survivor 1

Jafku

I'll throw out Sound Shapes. Fantastic game, I'm not sure why there isn't more GOTY buzz around it.

Also, this reminds me I heard nothing but good things about Growlanser: Wayfarer of Time but I haven't pick it up yet. the holiday break seems like a good time to clean out the old vita memory card and make some space

Agreed on Sound Shapes

Grakl

Receiver

One of the best games I've ever played. Great atmosphere and hard as hell. Addicting, and it was made in only 7 days. Voice acting sucks, but it's minimal anyway.

Derrick01

Banned
Gravity Rush (insert your lame ass Vita sales joke here)

A unique new IP that was as impressive a display of the vita's tech and potential as Uncharted was that also had a unique, if somewhat tough to control, gameplay hook. At least now they're giving it away for free so every single Vita owner has 0 excuse for not playing this pretty good game.

edit: I'm playing VLR now so cut me some slack :p

SILENTHILLDOWNPOURJAPAN.jpg

It's a technical mess, but at least it had the fucking balls to adhere to the conventions of the survival horror genre in a generation where so many publishers find it more marketable to turn their franchises into outright shooters. Disempowerment, an inventory system, encouraged exploration in a semi open-world setting, side-quests and the best protagonist to star in a Silent Hill game thus far. Great game.

Binary Domain. Awesome game that no one knew about. Def. should get it cheap.

came to say this. great game that was very unfairly ignored upon release. such a shame it didn't sell more, it was basically gears of war but with robots, which you would think would be a massive draw.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
There really is no better pick than EX Troopers. It isn't leaving Japan, and even in Japan, it totally bombed.

Top Bottom