• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best gaming / movie TV...

So...

My trusty Samsung crapped out so I’m in the market for a new TV for gaming.

Currently the only 2 contenders seem to be the LG CX OLED and the Samsung QLED 90T (U.K.).

I would like to hear opinions on both (I’m not interested in Sony TV’s) and will be likely hooking up a PS5 to them.

I’m not massively fussed about ‘burn in’ although please list your experiences of it.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
If you can afford the CX, it's unparalleled. Take the plunge. I got a 65" C6 about 3.5 years ago for £3000 and it's the best tech I ever bought, and the same size CX is only £2.3 now. Or the 55" is £1.4. Just bear in mind how far you're sitting from the TV, if you sit miles away it's not worth getting the smaller model.

Unless you plan on watching/playing the same one thing with a persistent UI for 6 hours a day for a long time, don't listen to burn-in fearmongers.

jigglet

Banned
I'm waiting for that new tech that lets you switch input sources without any lag before upgrading. I don't remember what it's called but when I saw it I thought; this is the feature I've been dreaming of for years now. I can't stand that few second delay between switching input sources, especially these days as everyone has multiple consoles, Apple TV's, Chromecasts etc. Last I heard it was expected to be rolled out in new TV's around the end of this year I think.

Last edited:
The Samsung 90T is a very nice TV, but nothing beats the OLED technology. The picture quality and contrast are unmatched and the OLED CX is an amazing TV. I’m still amazed everyday by my 4 year old LG B6. I think my TV still looks better than most of the modern televisions of today and that’s saying a lot.

REDRZA MWS

Gold Member
I own a GX and it’s my favorite set ever. Ive owned the LG c8, E7P, and I can’t tell to how many Sony XBR’s over the years.

Trust Me, get the CX. You will not be disappointed.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I don’t know .. the Sony 900h/950h might be better than that Samsung. At least picture wise.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Get a higher end model Sony tv or wait for Micro LED.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Sony tvs are some of the best though. The a8h oled will have a slight edge in movie watching and streaming (better motion,upscaling, and colors)compared to the cx. Doesn't have him 2.1 though. Depends on your priorities.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Unless you plan on watching/playing the same one thing with a persistent UI for 6 hours a day for a long time, don't listen to burn-in fearmongers.

This is it really, I am the type to play these sort of games, for this sort of length of time...

As such I was swayed away from OLED because if you DO this it will ruin the TV. Ended up with a Samsung Q90T which honestly considering my last TV was 7 years old is a big upgrade, the important thing to look out for is HDMI 2.1 support on the TV as the new gen consoles support this and not all TV's currently do.

list of TV's with support, saw a suggestion of waiting for MicroLED... with the estimated costs on those panels I would suggest not if your wanting something for this gen, unless you have 5k in the bank ready to go on a high end 8k 65+ set.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

As an owner of both(CX and Q950TS) I'd say it depends on your use case.

In a dark room the OLED is the best but OLED need more care in handling. In a bright room the strengths of OLED are diminished maybe to the point it doesn't look better than the QLED.
If you play a lot of the same content with max brightness every day then the QLED might be more suitable.

Samsung handles 30 fps games better by reducing stutter with its game motion plus, something the LG doesn't have.

Keep in mind the Samsung only have 1 HDMI 2.1 port while the LG has 4.

Last edited:
What about the 'smart' part of the tv? I've got an android tv atm (sony 4k from 5 years ago) and it's pretty convenient.

Samsung has its own smart OS yes? Also with the common apps? (youtube, twitch, netflix)

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Samsung has its own smart OS yes? Also with the common apps? (youtube, twitch, netflix)

Yes and Disney+ all the usual suspects can be downloaded onto the app, you can also tap your phone on the top of the TV (if its a samsung) and it will start displaying whatever is on that.

Also about the single HDMI 2.1 port if you are worried you have to choose between a PS5 and eARC on your soundbar the Samsung (at least my model Q90T) HDMI 2.0 port 3 still supports eARC for soundbars (they helpfully labeled it "eARC"), so with my Q800T they give whats called Samsung Symphoney which is a fancy name for the soundbar connecting and using the TV's top speakers for part of the surround set up to bounce sounds off the ceiling so they sound like there coming from behind. Its not as good as true surround but its better than none.

So if you ONLY plan to have one next gen games console it should do fine... if not I'm guessing 3rd party 2.1 switch will be in order.

Last edited:

Sausy1987

Any advice for a tv for new gen tv with 4 HDMI ports ? Will be using for ps5/series X/ sport on IPTV . Less then a €1000?

Top Bottom