• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best graphics on the Atari 2600?

Arthas

Banned
Atari 2600:

72645w.jpg

Here are the specs:

Processor: 6507 (8-bit @ 1.19 MHz)

Sound: 2 channel

Resolution: 160 x 192

Colors: 16 colors onscreen + 8 levels of brightness (California Games displays 128 colors onscreen)

Memory: 128 Bytes

In regards to technical proficiency displayed on this console, I think this is a likely candidate:

Doom2
1zb5vk6.jpg

As for artistic proficiency, maybe you guys could help me out. All I could find was this:

27wuj3r.gif

HURGHT

Likely that this doesn't count (as it's not a game) but here's a look at a demo really pushing what the 2600 is capable of in terms of both its sound and graphical ability:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6UZnmwJ2PQ4

Thinking back on it, Pitfall! has decent graphics for the 2600.

OT comment: I'm somewhat a fan of these little demo intros and cracktros. If you enjoyed that, check out Edwin van Santen's Avantgarde intro for the C64. There's some really clever programming going on in these things. I think you can find the EVS Avantgarde intro on youtube somewhere.

Arthas

Banned
HURGHT said:
Likely that this doesn't count (as it's not a game) but here's a look at a demo really pushing what the 2600 is capable of in terms of both its sound and graphical ability:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6UZnmwJ2PQ4

Thinking back on it, Pitfall! has decent graphics for the 2600.

OT comment: I'm somewhat a fan of these little demo intros and cracktros. If you enjoyed that, check out Edwin van Santen's Avantgarde intro for the C64. There's some really clever programming going on in these things. I think you can find the EVS Avantgarde intro on youtube somewhere.

Oh it counts. Doesn't need to be a game. This is all about seeing what the 2600 hardware was capable of, and that is easily the most impressive thing I've seen on the 2600.

Also it would spice things up if instead of just posting the name of these games most of us have never heard of, you guys post a nice little pic to go with the name.

jvm

Gamasutra.
California Games
xckpxt.png

v6kwfa.gif

f9njw5.gif

Solaris
29xewk1.png

Pitfall II (with custom sound chip!)
35naqno.png

Defender II/Stargate (so very smooth to play, you just have to see it and compare to the original 2600 version of Defender to grasp how awesome it really is)
xdmw3.png

A lot of the newer stuff has pushed the 2600 further than they did in the 80s and 90s.

D.Lo

Pole Position looked '100% realistic' to me in 1985, and it's one of the best technically, with multi-colour sprites and decent movement.

Unison

Pitfall II was pretty much the most impressive 2600 game that I can think of, on many levels, including graphics.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Unison said:
Pitfall II was pretty much the most impressive 2600 game that I can think of, on many levels, including graphics.

Correct - and music. Had extra hardware in the cart - either memory or a DSP. Don't remember.

Yar's Revenge actually looks pretty decent to this day. Its got a unique look to it that no other game from the era can match. Screens don't do it justice because the wall of static was just so cool.

A2600_Yars_Revenge.png

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Hmm...

As far as best gameplay with graphics, animation on the screen and all that, I'm tempted to go with Ms. Pac-Man.

I don't know... it just strikes me as one of the truly great 2600 games, as far as conversions go.

VALIS

Yeah, Pitfall II practically looked like a Colecovision game. Head and shoulders above the rest.

Space Shuttle looked pretty good...
s_SpaceShuttle_1.png

Agent X

There were a lot of good selections named already. I think Solaris would probably be my top pick for its impressive pseudo-3D graphics. It's actually a really deep game, too (at least by 2600 standards). Very challenging, too--I've never completed it, and I don't know anyone who has.

Pitfall II is also way up there.

As jvm mentioned, Stargate/Defender II was very impressive as far as arcade conversions go. Battlezone looked great, too.

Some other games that weren't yet mentioned:

H.E.R.O.
Jungle Hunt
Enduro
Road Runner

Enduro was my favorite Atari racer, although driving at night was fun, I don't think the graphics are worth a mention. I don't think Jungle Hunt looked good at all. I remember being quite disappointed with the graphics compared to the arcade. :lol

Space Shuttle was a good game too. It took me like a year to finally win. So many times I burned up on reentry.

I forgot about Pitfall II. Great game and yeah it had a custom chip to handle the music and scrolling.

Here's a youtube of Solaris. I still believe it's easily #1 for graphics. It looks like an NES game.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyjUw7Jr5AI

Pitfall II has great music for a 2600 game, though they used a custom chip to help pull it off.

In motion, Solaris is definitely the most stunning technical achievement for graphics on the 2600.

DiatribeEQ said:
Wow. Talk about reliving my childhood. Man...memories....all those games....all those broken Atari joysticks.
yeah same here..i think the 5200 sticks were the worst of the worst though as far as breaking down on ya..atleast it was for me and my family.

cx52-1.gif

Arthas

Banned
DiatribeEQ said:
Wow. Talk about reliving my childhood. Man...memories....all those games....all those broken Atari joysticks.

Heh, I must have gone through 8 of the damn joysticks. In the end I just resorted to opening them up and fixing them myself. Talk about maintaining your hardware.

Double Dragon:

The level of detail and the amount of colors and sprites on screen were impressive, it had boss battles, weapons and had actually an ending

dd26-4.gif

dd26-8.gif

dd26-10.gif

HyperZone<3 said:
Yar's Revenge actually looks pretty decent to this day. Its got a unique look to it that no other game from the era can match. Screens don't do it justice because the wall of static was just so cool.

A2600_Yars_Revenge.png

Yar's Revenge <3

Spent too many hours playing this one, soooooo good.

bjork

I always liked the graphics in Keystone Capers, but the animations on Demon Attack were pretty neato back then.

Top Bottom