• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Halo campaign level? The Ark.

What is the best Halo campaign level ever created?

IMO it is The Ark from Halo 3. The Ark takes everything that was near perfect from Halo 1 levels (Silent Cartographer) and Halo 2 levels (the Scarab fight) and mixes it into one perfect journey. Like any worth Halo level it has everything within it:

- open areas
- long range tank fights
- close quarters
- escape part
- boss fight (Scarab)
- the most beautiful vistas since Halo 1
- a desert setting which usually is quite boring but some games nail the fuck out of it (Uncharted 3 comes to mind). For some reason it works so well in this level.
- Hunters

If I were to sell the whole Halo universe with one level, if I have to force a person that doesn't know what Halo is to play one level it would had to be The Ark.

IsThat-large.jpg

l3nQ6Tb.jpg

20131103204931arkicre3.jpg

Note: finished H1, H2, H3, 30% H4 (boring levels). Did not play Reach or ODST. Are there any quality levels in Reach/ ODST? Better than H1 and H3 ones?

Random17

All of the replies in this thread are wrong grrrrrr
:)

The actual answer is the Silent Cartographer.

A lot of the stuff in the aforementioned missions was either done better in other levels (e.g. AotCr did the sandbox thing better). The Ark has a very boring environment and the close quarters areas are nothing special in terms of combat.

Worse still, the vehicular combat is more bullshit than Jackal Snipers than Halo 2 on Legendary. A Ghost should not be able to kill a Scorpion easily.

----
Silent%2BCartographer.jpg

The Silent Cartographer combines a large arena with asymmetric objective design, as well as an interesting plot based objective that is reliant on player presence based triggers (as opposed to button pressing). It has a fair share of bright and sunny areas, large AI battles, vehicular exploration, as well as the creepy tunnels that will later become all too common in CE. The encounter design is great, and a certain degree of stealth can be used. And unlike the other Halo CE missions, a Silent Cartographer is the perfect length, not too long or short.

Edit:

Honourable Mentions:

-Delta Halo/Regret (Halo 2)
-The Covenant (Halo 3)
-Outskirts/Metropolis (Halo 2)

I'm going to focus on the Halo 2 missions above because the Covenant has already been discussed.

Outskirts/Metropolis

h21-550x349.jpg

-Very interesting locale
-Great OST
-Plenty of sniper ammo and hidden weapon caches
-Lots of good infantry encounters
-Tonnes of easter eggs
-Multiple paths through each mission
-Plenty of vehicular combat
-The Scarab and the Scarab Gun

Delta Halo/Regret

Temple_on_Delta_Halo.jpg

-Best environments since the Silent Cartographer in CE
-Best music in the franchise is played during these missions
-Best atmosphere in a Halo game especially during the section "Off the rock, through the bush, nothing but Jackal"

-Plenty of great infantry and vehicular encounters
-Large sandbox
-Huge explorable area
-Great integration with the plot from the major plot points to the more subtle references to
Ancient Humanity
-You get to punch Regret in the face

Trey

Assault on the Control Room is the best. The Ark is fantastic though.

Let us reflect that the recursive nature of AotCR -> The Library -> TB is executed flawlessy in its gameplay specifications as well as the story pivot featured within.

The Ark and The Covenant are both fantastic Halo levels, and the point where Halo 3 really becomes something special. The Scarab fight in the Covenant is amazing when you tackle it with the Scorpion.

I think Delta Halo is my favorite, purely because I enjoy escaping the map boundaries so much.

Jb

As memorable as Silent Cartographer is because it's the first holy shit sandbox level we played in a Halo game, I would also go with The Covenant. The way it elegantly switches from open arenas to smaller ones and from on foot to vehicle sequences is masterful.

Glass

I couldn't begin to choose an outright winner, but this is a screenshot I took 7 years ago as I was playing through The Ark looking like the exact same spot as OP.

Icmtyxa.jpg

Of course the soldiers with me all died horrible and totally avoidable deaths soon after.

Trey

Reach and ODST have a few memorable levels. Winter Contingency was nice, as was New Alexandria.

The vehicle mission in ODST was fantastic. I think all the Halo campaigns are worth at least a playthrough.

Dad

So no memorable levels in Reach/ ODST? Heh, glad I skipped those games.

Long Night of Solace and Lone Wolf were pretty memorable in Reach, but that was more because of the unique ideas in those levels than the actual level designs. The rest of the game just kind of runs together.

Cov

Assault on the Control Room for me. Two Betrayals comes close. They're the two I remember the most.

Random17

Reach had some pretty memorable levels, but I'd say that only Long Night of Solace and New Alexandria are comparable to the previous games.

ODST's interaction in New Mombasa was a great change, too.

In order

1)Assault on the Control Room
2)The Covenant
3)The Ark
4)The Silent Cartographer
5)Outskirts/Metropolis

k4ZaD3k.gif

AOTCR is awful. Reused room followed by reused bridges that lead into another reused room. Absolutely awful.

Best level: The Covenant. Dual Scarab fight beats everything

Random17

k4ZaD3k.gif

AOTCR is awful. Reused room followed by reused bridges that lead into another reused room. Absolutely awful.

Best level: The Covenant. Dual Scarab fight beats everything

That, and the short section of the Flood being on your side are the only redeeming qualities of the mission. Otherwise it also falls into the same reusable environments trap, and the rest of the mission certainly isn't "best of Halo, ever!" material.

The Silent Cartographer/Delta Halo/Regret maintain their qualities throughout.

If anything, Reach has a pretty memorable campaign. As stated, Long Night of Solace is especially memorable and rather large in scope. New Alexandria is what they based the Halo 4 level Shutdown on. These are more 'one-shot' levels with a unique gimmick, though, rather than levels as described in the OP.

I can't really remember any individual levels in ODST, since the game flows together so much. Exploring New Mombasa at night was definitely cool.

Paz

The Silent Cartographer is most definitely the best because it has an incredible range of experiences and takes place in the best playing Halo game.

Nothing in H2/3 comes close to how amazing it felt to take that beach full of elites and then realize you were basically in a massive island you can explore.

Silent Cartographer for me, the landing on the beach, going around the Island to open the door to the massive underground base... I can't count how many times I've played that Level.

Dad

Am I going to get flack for saying I really liked 343 Guilty Spark, if only for the atmosphere alone? It was just such a cool way to introduce the Flood. The whole place had such a claustrophobic, labyrinth feel to it.

Akai__

The Covenant for me. Nothing will beat the Hornet section and the Dual Scarab fight.

The Ark is a close second, because tanks really beat everything. Many people don't know this, but the level has a "hidden" boss fight at then end of the level.
If you don't shoot the Brute Chieftain and the Brutes arround him, the Chieftain will challenge you to a duell and the other Brutes will just stay there and watch.

"The Covenant" from Halo 3 wins easily for me. Took the Silent Cartographer from Halo CE and just upped the ante tenfold. Fantastic mission. "The Ark" is a close second though. Halo 3 in general is god-tier.

Emouse

I got to the Ark again last night on MCC, not saying its the best but I'll definitely agree that it's a great level

The part where the UNSC Frigate comes down to drop off the tanks blows me away every time I see it happen

Lakitu

st5fu
Best levels:

Halo: CE
-Halo
-Truth and Reconciliation
-The Silent Cartographer
-Assault on the Control Room
-Two Betrayals

Halo 2
-Outskirts/Metropolis
-Delta Halo/Regret
-Sacred Icon/Quarantine Zone
-Gravemind/High Charity

Halo 3
-Tsavo Highway
-The Storm
-The Ark
-The Covnenant

Halo: Reach
-Tip of the Spear
-Long Night of Solace
-New Alexandria
-The Package

Halo 4
-None

Darkangel

I think The Silent Cartographer is the best designed level overall. There's a reason they made it the Halo 1 demo level.

JdFoX187

Banned
Nothing with Brutes as the main enemy -- i.e. anything from Halo 3 or Halo 3: ODST -- can be considered "good" or "best" in any objective manner. Halo: Combat Evolved still has the best three levels with Silent Cartographer, Assault on the Control Room and Two Betrayals.

Glass

I hope Halo 5 has plenty of The Ark/The Silent Cartographer style levels. It's next gen Halo, I want to see some big sandboxes to play with.

Stopdoor

I'm a huge fan of the last level of Halo Reach, it has that long journey feel with a clear destination, some truly amazing music, full variety along the way, mongoose driving past scarabs section just highlights what you're up against, a great 'final stand' location, etc.

The story significance linking directly into Halo: CE is great too.

Glass

I'm a huge fan of the last level of Halo Reach, it has that long journey feel with a clear destination, some truly amazing music, full variety along the way, mongoose driving past scarabs section just highlights what you're up against, a great 'final stand' location, etc.

This reminds me, the
post credits
'level' is pretty great. I hadn't really got attached to Noble 6 since he was basically a silent protagonist, but
going down fighting like that hit me in the feels.

The Covenant for me. Nothing will beat the Hornet section and the Dual Scarab fight.

The Ark is a close second, because tanks really beat everything. Many people don't know this, but the level has a "hidden" boss fight at then end of the level.
If you don't shoot the Brute Chieftain and the Brutes arround him, the Chieftain will challenge you to a duell and the other Brutes will just stay there and watch.

WHAT?

Seriously??

Well, ODST is kind of one level. But I remember the level where you go into the Wildlife Preserve was really awesome.

Reach's levels were characterized by the unique gameplay features within them. The space mission, the city at night, etc.

I think these games get a lot of hate that is undeserved, but that's just me.

The covenant and the ark are a Toss up for second best.

Silent cartographer is the best.

Halo 3 really did an amazing job of making you feel like you were in the middle of this massive battle all the time.

KDC720

Overall I think its the Covenant for me, but its a really tough choice, too many good levels in this series.

Reach and ODST have great missions though. Long Night of Solace, New Alexandria, and The Package from Reach are excellent. The Office of Naval Intelligence is my fav ODST level, but exploring the streets at night was a treat in itself.

After taking off my nostalgia glasses, and replaying the campaigns in Halo: MCC, I'd have to say that I don't think any of the levels in Halo: CE would rank among what I would consider the best.

I still think CE is an awesome game, but I've come to realize that I enjoy the other entries in the series more.

wtffffffffffffff

How did I never know about this.

Top Bottom