• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best head/earphones for running: give me your recommendations!

Papa

Banned
I'm a bit of a running enthusiast and have used the Jaybird SB2 (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003TO52BG/?tag=neogaf0e-20) since around 2012. Unfortunately, my pair just died and I found out they no longer make them! They weren't the most comfortable set of headphones but they stayed on my head without slipping and were non-invasive unlike in-ear buds. So, I'm now in the market for a new pair of running headphones but all I can find is in-ear buds, which I truly despise, or bone induction headphones, which I've never used and I think they sound a bit wacky to be honest.

Please give me your recommendations with a brief explanation of why you like them, with specific reference to the following criteria (in order of importance to me):

1. Wired/wireless: I'm only interested in wireless.
2. Stability: How well do they stay on your head during exercise?
3. Comfortability: Much prefer over-ear headphones but most I've seen that are targeted to the exercise market are intended for stationary lifting exercises, not running.
4. Sound quality: I prefer something with a bit more bass for exercise.
5. Battery life: Self-explanatory.
6. Price: Happy to pay a bit extra for the right product but I'm not an audiophile.

Cheers!

I would still recommend bone conduction headphones, because you can be aware of your surroundings while running (very important!). However... sound isn't as good though as regular headphones and the vibrations are noticible at higher volumes. I think it's worth it, lessons your chances of being assaulted or being in any road accident

I use these:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B44T24V/?tag=neogaf0e-20

They're the only bone ones I've tried, so I can't say they're better or worse than others

Last edited:

Papa

Banned
I would still recommend bone conduction headphones, because you can be aware of your surroundings while running (very important!). However... sound isn't as good though as regular headphones and the vibrations are noticible at higher volumes. I think it's worth it, lessons your chances of being assaulted or being in any road accident

I use these:

They're the only bone ones I've tried, so I can't say they're better or worse than others

Thanks for the rec! I'll have to head to the mall and try out some bone conduction headphones to see if they suit me. Thankfully, I live in a very safe area with its own running track, but you raise a good point about safety.

It's Jeff

Banned
Alright - these aren't for everyone, but I'm using these Bose noise cancelling headphones. They look big - and they kind of are, but I use them at the gym four times a week and they're great. If you situate them properly on your head, they don't fall off and the noise cancelling is quite good. I use them on the airplane and at the gym where they insist on the all Cardi B station all the time... you can actually tune it out if you want. It's like 300 bucks or so, but I've been impressed so far.

https://www.bose.com/en_us/products/headphones/over_ear_headphones/quietcomfort-35-wireless-ii.html

Papa

Banned
Alright - these aren't for everyone, but I'm using these Bose noise cancelling headphones. They look big - and they kind of are, but I use them at the gym four times a week and they're great. If you situate them properly on your head, they don't fall off and the noise cancelling is quite good. I use them on the airplane and at the gym where they insist on the all Cardi B station all the time... you can actually tune it out if you want. It's like 300 bucks or so, but I've been impressed so far.

https://www.bose.com/en_us/products/headphones/over_ear_headphones/quietcomfort-35-wireless-ii.html
I actually have a pair of these that I wear at work and I agree they’re amazing but they’re too bulky for running ☹️

It's Jeff

Banned
I actually have a pair of these that I wear at work and I agree they’re amazing but they’re too bulky for running ☹️

I can see that. I love those for running, but to each his own. You know, I have a pair that wraps around the back of the head and goes over the ears that were nice, but I didn't bring them to work this stint. I'll see if I can track down which ones they are because they're not bad - and pretty cheap if I recall.

Papa

Banned
I have a Jaybird Run and it is pretty decent. Why do you don’t like earbuds?

I just find them uncomfortable. The Jaybird SB2 was perfect because I barely even noticed I had it on. I’m not totally against buds but I’d love to find a decent set of over ear headphones comparable to the SB2.

TheDreadLord

Gold Member
I just find them uncomfortable. The Jaybird SB2 was perfect because I barely even noticed I had it on. I’m not totally against buds but I’d love to find a decent set of over ear headphones comparable to the SB2.
Well, I find the Jaybird Run quite OK and I can tell you I am pretty picky with earphones. The earbuds tech and design have evolved quite a lot in the last years. You should test it.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I've been very happy with the Apple Airpods. They stay in fine for me, have solid battery life and I get zero interference on them where as a cheaper wireless brand I had from Amazon was constantly coming in and out from interference when running near cars/businesses (which is everywhere for me since I live in an urban area). The range on them is great two. We have rent a one-story, 4 bedroom house and I can leave my phone in the middle of the house and use them anywhere inside.

If you have an iPhone the integration is superb as well. Just hold them in their charging case with the lid open near the phone the first time to pair them. After that just putting them in your ears connects them automatically, removing one pauses playback--reinserting resumes, removing both stops playback, double tapping one in your ear activates Siri and so on. No complaints, despite being a bit pricey.

Papa

Banned
I've been very happy with the Apple Airpods. They stay in fine for me, have solid battery life and I get zero interference on them where as a cheaper wireless brand I had from Amazon was constantly coming in and out from interference when running near cars/businesses (which is everywhere for me since I live in an urban area). The range on them is great two. We have rent a one-story, 4 bedroom house and I can leave my phone in the middle of the house and use them anywhere inside.

If you have an iPhone the integration is superb as well. Just hold them in their charging case with the lid open near the phone the first time to pair them. After that just putting them in your ears connects them automatically, removing one pauses playback--reinserting resumes, removing both stops playback, double tapping one in your ear activates Siri and so on. No complaints, despite being a bit pricey.

Really? I didn’t even consider Apple buds. I note you said they stay in fine but they look like they would get slippery with a bit of sweat. How do they go on longer runs?

Papa

Banned
Well, I find the Jaybird Run quite OK and I can tell you I am pretty picky with earphones. The earbuds tech and design have evolved quite a lot in the last years. You should test it.

I will check them out, thanks. They’re looking like one the best options at the moment along with the bone induction headphones. I quite like Jaybird.

Smoke6

JBL Free!

4+ hrs of battery life

15-20 recharge to full

Sound is great

Hard to notice in your ear at times maybe uncomfortable for small ear people

rbanke

I have these TaoTronics BT Earbuds. They're great in every way except the battery/remote component sits on the right side causing them to pull to that side while running. It's a small thing but when you're crossing an intersection, you get resistance turning your head to the left. I'd assume any earbuds with this similar design would have the same issue, a balancing weight on the oposite side would surely fix the problem, but I haven't found any like that.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Really? I didn’t even consider Apple buds. I note you said they stay in fine but they look like they would get slippery with a bit of sweat. How do they go on longer runs?

I've not done any long runs in the, but I sweat a ton in the summer (hot and humid here) on shorter runs, mowing the yard etc. have never had them fall out. Everyone's ear's are different though. The buds are the same as the wired ones that come with iPhones/iPods though, so if you have any around (or know someone who'll let you borrow them) you could try those first perhaps.

Azurro

Banned
I have the Creative Outlier Sports , they are definitely not THE best, but they are relatively cheap, they have good build quality, not an audiophile but the music sounds better than the Anker ones I had before, they manage to stay in your ear without much issue and the battery life lasts forever, 11 hours according to the site.

Also, take into account that if you sweat a lot like I do at the gym, the "waterproof" ness of the headphones kind of goes away and they inevitably fail, happened with both my Beats Wireless 2 as well as with some cheapo Anker ones I had, so now I don't want to spend more than 40 or 50 euro on a pair since I know I will have to replace them in a bit over a year.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

I use these:

This is the exact pair I use for running, they've come down in price a couple of bucks since I ordered mine. I typically set the volume on these to about 50-60% and find that it's the right combination of vibration vs noise, and I assume everyone would probably have a different "sweet spot".

I'm usually running in places where there are a lot of wild herd animals that could get spooked and stampede if you sneak up on them, and being able to keep an ear out for auditory queues that they're nearby has probably saved my life on at least a handful of occasions. These would probably also be really good in an urban setting where you might have to pay attention to traffic.

Either way, I love these headphones and after using them I don't think I could go back to using "regular" headphones for running.

Top Bottom