• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best IGN review ever.

NO No NO...

Damn You GAF!!!!

They took it down.
It now reads "August 1, 2005 - Review forthcoming"

Put it back up Ivan, you tease...

koam

I vote that this becomes an official GAF rule:

1) Never link to a text, image and/or video without posting the contents of the text, or mirror of the video/image in your original post. OTHERWISE YOUR THREAD IS WORTH SHIT AFTER 30 MINUTES. Thank you.

Keio

For a Finer World
AniHawk said:
miyuru said:
I thought I was the only one who still remembered "that"
What? What was it for?
IGN ended a review once with something like:

"This is a great game with impressive graphics and you'll be sure to enjoy it unless."

Anyone remember the exact words and context?

Keio said:
IGN ended a review once with something like:

"This is a great game with impressive graphics and you'll be sure to enjoy it unless."

Anyone remember the exact words and context?

IIRC, it was in IGN's review of FF: Crystal Chronicles, but it's since been edited out.

Odysseus

Banned
The original text was:

"Airborne Troops: Countdown to D-Day
Third-person action that's almost as fun as getting kicked by a fat dude in an SS uniform.
by Ivan Sulic

August 1, 2005 -
Think about it this way, developer WideScreen Games' Airborne Troops: Countdown to D-Day does not actually feature a widescreen mode.

Well then, that should just about do it!

Closing Comments
I got your countdown to D-Day right here!

*I'm pointing at my crotch* "

Matlock said:
http://ps2.ign.com/articles/637/637901p1.html

:lol

Thanks to Reno for pointing this out.

note the reader review

I fail to see how that's even humorous. It's just Ivan doing the only thing Ivan knows how to do; being a sarcastic prick to appease the Ivan the [Internet] Terrible fanbase. It's pathetic, it really is. You rarely see professional print or broadcast reviewers acting this way, but I suppose that's the way of the internet c00l d00ds. If you can't review the game in a professional manner, then don't review the game at all.

Anyone catch Gamespot's video review of Advent Rising? Granted the game had its issues, but unless the development staff molested that dork's younger sister, the forced and utterly scripted internet dork attitude of the reviewer was fairly unwarranted. I mean, he went out of his way to ridicule the effort, in his own poorly acted fashion. Dude deserves to be punched in the teeth, and so does Ivan. And when that eventually happens, these normally so hardspoken guys will be hiding behind their freedom of speech. Pitiful.

edit: not only is the review gone, the corresponding thread on the PS2GB on IGN is gone. This is some sad shit.

silver

Banned
owned_cum.jpg

owned-cat.jpg

owned%2520baby.jpg

snakeowned.jpg

poop.jpg

OWNEDLMFAO.jpg

ownedbypolice.jpg

needle.jpg

bsod-owned.jpg

cockpit.jpg

bike-crash.jpg

:lol :lol :lol @ IGN... how sad... how very very sad.

ziran

BEFORE:

Odysseus said:
The original text was:

Third-person action that's almost as fun as getting kicked by a fat dude in an SS uniform.
by Ivan Sulic

August 1, 2005 -
Think about it this way, developer WideScreen Games' Airborne Troops: Countdown to D-Day does not actually feature a widescreen mode.

Closing Comments

AFTER:

IGN said:
August 1, 2005 - Review forthcoming
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Jeff-DSA

AltogetherAndrews said:
I fail to see how that's even humorous. It's just Ivan doing the only thing Ivan knows how to do; being a sarcastic prick to appease the Ivan the [Internet] Terrible fanbase. It's pathetic, it really is. You rarely see professional print or broadcast reviewers acting this way, but I suppose that's the way of the internet c00l d00ds. If you can't review the game in a professional manner, then don't review the game at all.

Anyone catch Gamespot's video review of Advent Rising? Granted the game had its issues, but unless the development staff molested that dork's younger sister, the forced and utterly scripted internet dork attitude of the reviewer was fairly unwarranted. I mean, he went out of his way to ridicule the effort, in his own poorly acted fashion. Dude deserves to be punched in the teeth, and so does Ivan. And when that eventually happens, these normally so hardspoken guys will be hiding behind their freedom of speech. Pitiful.

edit: not only is the review gone, the corresponding thread on the PS2GB on IGN is gone. This is some sad shit.

What did you say in your post?

I've always hated Ivan and I called him out in one of his own threads at IGN. He didn't take kindly to my criticism and after he shot back with some base comments his fanboy followers flamed me like crazy.

FoneBone

Odysseus said:
The original text was:

by Ivan Sulic

August 1, 2005 -

Closing Comments

Wait, you're serious?

Yep-- that's exactly what the review said.

I don't understand the point of taking it down though. I mean, when they greenlighted the thing they had to realize it was pretty stupid and an obvious joke. People posting about it on messageboards and laughing at it shouldn't surprise them.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
I don't get the outrage from you drama queens. It's a shit game and he mocked it. Rather that than a 10 page diatribe. I don't think he's some great reviewer (I recall a few straight reviews from him that were worthless), but you're all acting like some honor line has been crossed. It's a funny hack review for a hack game from a hack journalist for a hack hobby. Boo hoo hoo.

Best book review of all time by Ambrose Bierce:

"The covers of this book are too far apart."

Musashi Wins! said:
I don't get the outrage from you drama queens. It's a shit game and he mocked it. Rather that than a 10 page diatribe. I don't think he's some great reviewer (I recall a few straight reviews from him that were worthless), but you're all acting like some honor line has been crossed. It's a funny hack review for a hack game from a hack journalist for a hack hobby. Boo hoo hoo.

Best book review of all time by Ambrose Bierce:

"The covers of this book are too far apart."

That's the thing though. It's not actually funny. It's crude, and it's juvenile. No wit whatsoever, just a bunch of childish, not to mention generic, remarks. I often complain about developers not maturing at a fast enough clip, but I honestly think gaming news media is in an even sorrier state.

FartOfWar

Banned
But can it top IGN's best preview: http://pc.ign.com/articles/578/578650p1.html

A sample
Performance was one of the biggest things we were looking for in the CES demo, as this game requires some serious meat to run, and hasn't always been shown running at full clip. The CES demo, which was running on Nvidia's 6800 Ultras running in SLI, kept it together for a full-on visual assault -- this was hardcore hardware being employed, so we don't know yet how the rest of us will be seeing the game on our broke-ass machines, but at least the game can run like the French when it needs to. The normal mapping and shadowing effects looked in sharp relief on the vehicles and soldiers, even if the game's exterior daytime setting in realistic warzones don't allow as much showy flair as some of the other big-name shooters. The particular visual treat was in the amazing draw distance this game's gigantic levels allowed, which was never hitched up as we zoomed across hills on jeeps or ran up towers for flags. We didn't come across any vehicles of flight in this demo, but in our previous gameplay sessions, airtime will be very similar to prior Battlefield games.

Vehicles of flight? Word. But what about vehicles of moving forward on dirt? Babblefish us some more of this shit, IGN.

Yeah, I like how IGN conveniently avoids providing an explanation of WTF happened. I wish there were better ways to get these dopes to fess up. I mean, you know they're reading these threads and shit.

Top Bottom