• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best live-action Batman suit?

Obviously it's the one with the weird nipples

snru85GmgFLSWADMKfhGG3-970-80.jpg.webp
Who the fuck okayed that?

VulcanRaven

Chistian Bale used a black version of the Batman Forever sonar suit during his audition:

They really have no choice if they are trying to replicate the comic book "painted over flesh" look. Unless they vacuum seal the suit over the actor or just make the suit thin cotton and always keep it wet, there is no way to show the hyperdefinition through the kind of textured costume popular today. Women can get away with latex or leather with little definition because no one is expecting these actresses to have anything other than slimness, maybe some breast or butt implants. Can't even remember the last time an actress with actual abs, triceps, glutes, and quads got cast as a superhero.

Plus the suits need some padding for the stuntmen, and those guys gotta actually work for a living so they can't keep that 3% bodyfat and still have the energy for stunts.
I think they went too far with them in later movies. The fake muscles weren't that visible in Man of Steel. The Rock said that he didn't use any padding for Black Adam.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
I think they went too far with them in later movies. The fake muscles weren't that visible in Man of Steel. The Rock said that he didn't use any padding for Black Adam.
Well, that's cause they hired THE ROCK, that guy is 1% of the 1% of the 1% in terms of physique :p I do hope they get to make something with Cavil as Sups, Black Adam, and Levi as Shazam but only 1 of those guys needs a muscle suit (which is sad because Levi did put in the work but expectations are just ridiculous these days).

I'd love it if female actresses had to pull off the equivalent of what Hemsworth, Evans, Johnson, Cavill, Pratt, etc all had to do for their roles. No more string bean bodies, flimsy arms, pencil legs. Get these girls deadlifting and squatting so they look like they can do some shit.

The Batfleck suit looked like it was a mix between Halloween USA and a poorly made ComicCon Convention costume. Battinson was great. Bale's suit was great, but I hated Bales lisp.

That's just not really true.

In fact, there was a DC comic book movie exposition I went to just a few weeks ago. They had among other things the original costumes of all the Batman movies on display and the difference between Affleck's suit and the rest was crazy. Of course it has muscular definition sown in but Affleck towers over all the other Batmen. It is the only suit that doesn't have armor plating all over covering the muscles.

Ben Affleck is a very big dude and he was insanely ripped for BvS. His physical appearance [and struggle to keep it that way during filming] is well documented.

Same goes for Henry Cavill. I will never understand why they added so much [clearly] fake muscular definition in the BvS suit.

WOuoJww.png

Hey, I went to that exhibition too. There's nothing like standing that close to a piece of movie history. I like that suit except for the overly chunky bat logo. I prefer the sleeker ones from the Burton and Schumacher eras. But it's good.

Last edited:

VulcanRaven

I would say that the sonar suit from Batman: Forever is overall the best in terms of appearance. Makes him look less intimidating due to the blue, but big without compromising on stylishness. The angular helmet in particular is a standout.

5d27ccf7-046c-45f8-911b-9bdeb2b00ac6.png
I think that pic is from the Hot Toys figure that was released not long ago. I wish it was cheaper.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
I think I'd have to go with The Batman. That's a real snazzy suit.

Last edited:

VulcanRaven

I wish we could have had a non-Snyder Batfleck movie. He's too occupied with delivering short cool scenes, but not something that felt narratively satisfying.
I'm glad he is still appearing in The Flash but not sure how big his role is. I like the blue cowl and cape.

Did you know that Gary Oldman was originally asked to play Scarecrow in Batman Begins but he didn't want to play the bad guy? That probably would have been awesome though.

Last edited:
Keaton in Batman Forever. I think if Keaton hadn't turned down Batman Forever, it would have been tonally different and more like the two older films
batman_forever_starring_michael_keaton__colour__by_anger007_dbi1hqc-fullview.jpg

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
Why do all the suits give him massive muscles, pecs and six pack contours when he's a guy with a normal build?
Same reason the Wonder Woman suit gives Gal Gadot the appearance of having larger breasts. Sexual exploitation of the character is what the audience wants.

JY4Ts83.jpg

Gp1

In terms of suit design: Batman Returns and Bale suit. Pattinson in a 3rd place (lost some points for showing the eye shadow trick :D)

In terms of intimidation: Nothing beats Punished BataAffleck marking bandits with hot iron in BvS.

Top Bottom