• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best looking PS2 game?

peronmls

Gotta give it to Silent Hill 3. However the hell they pushed some of those character models, facial expressions, number of effects, lighting and shadow, is a mystery to me.

tumblr_mue3bsxur71rfgc8yo1_500.gif

AmazingPleasantHen.gif

(first part of this gif, second half is to show how bad the HD Edition was to the PS2 version, PS2 one is the one with all the fog and darkness, HD version is the flat looking one):
Fog.gif

iWQmJvLSfBQeU.gif

iVdzbz7AmxK5Z.gif

tumblr_m6n2wwfSvT1qa1gxyo3_250.gif

tumblr_l4nqzdADG81qbzf0vo1_400.gif

tumblr_mv0a5qEQGQ1s4wum7o4_500.gif

illghgsL7ruvA.gif

firewalls3qdana.gif

ending_blondes2xmbx1.gif

YES! OMG the world needs to see this!
Haunting ground certainly pushed graphic of PS2 to its limit. Some cutscenes looked insane.
Also this. I completely forgot about Haunting Ground. but of course I would. It's such an underrated game. D=

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Already been said but

Silent Hill 3
God of War 2
Kingdom Hearts 2
ZOE 2
Final Fantasy XII

Definitely Top 5. What's great is that all of those games are different, too.

SMOK3Y

Generous Member
I didn't own alot of games on PS2 after I found online it became my racing console but I was blown away at the time by MGS2 it was my first game on PS2

Coen

So many great looking PS2 games I haven't tried yet. I really need to hook it up to my TV again and start buying those classics. What's the image quality like on an HDTV?

Holy shit, i had no idea that something like this was made for PS2...this is amazing and easily beats anything else.

it's also the best Transformers game ever made! :D

highly recommended.

it even has a Shadow of the Colossus -fight against a giant Tidal Wave:
Transformers%20Armada%20PS2%20005.jpg

Rez-HD-gameplay-13.png

Now? It has to be Rez. Not the most visually complex, but its ideas are well-executed and the effect is visceral candy. Elegant simplicity.

I recently got hold of a ROM and was surprised that it was less than 90MBs.

Ico is a close second.

Fasty

it's also the best Transformers game ever made! :D

highly recommended.

it even has a Shadow of the Colossus -fight against a giant Tidal Wave:
Transformers%20Armada%20PS2%20005.jpg

Seriously, that boss fight is amazing. It's even better if you don't expect it coming. But even with a God-mode cheat I couldn't beat that game, it's so tough!

Sayad

Black

ps2_588-2.jpg

I miss the time when Criterion were a state-of-the-art developer.
Black was the first game where I stopped playing because I couldn't stand the bloom and piss filters. It was a sign of things to come, never saw the appeal of that game.

gimmmick

While Silent Hill 3 is the closest to perfection, FF12 impressed me more with it's scale and amazing immersion into its beautiful world.

z69ny3v.png

Bazaar2.jpg

FF1212.jpg

Tomb_of_raithwall.png

final_fantasy_xii_hd_screenshot___hell_wyrm_by_gintoki333sakata-d5y01zx.jpg

FFXII didn't look half as good as these screenshots.

My vote goes to GoW 2. No game really stood out more graphically than this title.

Toxa

Outcast 2 the lost paradise (2002) unreleased

393364-outcast_005.jpg

393367-outcast_008.jpg

13844cuttersurroundedbyflowers.jpg

13844cutterclose_upinhimalayaviewer2.jpg

13844vmoonsandrocks.jpg

sadly never completed the game was gorgeous based on those screens

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
After all these years people still post that infamous "bullshots'-posterchild" to show off Black? It looked great but nowhere near that.

95% of the screens posted on the first few pages are either doctored or from emulators.

For example, this is how direct feed VP2 looks:

INcpPhY.jpg

black really did look amazing but as someone who played hundreds of ps2 games, easily the most of any generation, nothing even touches gran turismo 4. i have no clue how they pulled off that game on that hardware. shadow of collossus might have a wicked art style, but when it comes to gr4fi>< i really doubt any game that gen could get as close to being mistaken for real as GT4 could.

Dunkley

The only thing that emulation changes is the image quality. The actual technical details i.e. polygons, textures, effects, etc. are all exactly the same as they are on real hardware.

Only in Software mode, which in return removes the benefit of increased resolution for visual accuracy to the original platform:

ob6VlEW.png

MfeasNw.png

So, at least for some games, like Silent Hill 4, Resident Evil 4 and Nocturne to name a few, Emulator shots really aren't representative of how a game looked like on the Playstation 2.

Timu

The only thing that emulation changes is the image quality. The actual technical details i.e. polygons, textures, effects, etc. are all exactly the same as they are on real hardware.
Direct feeds are preferable due to how the game looks on an actual PS2, not to mention there's AF, AA, texture packs and other graphical options as well for emulators, look in the emulator screenshot thread for those God of War pics as it's using graphical features only possible on a PC that can be used with emulators. The user is doing it for fun, but still, emulators can make PS2 games look so much better than they should.

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
Why are people posting screens from emulators? This isn't a thread about what game looks best on an emulator, which game looked best on the PS2.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Holy shit, i had no idea that something like this was made for PS2...this is amazing and easily beats anything else.
The game wasn't that impressive looking in person to be honest. It featured the PS2's infamously flickery field-interlaced rendering mode.

Top Bottom