• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best looking water in games

Synless

Yeah it's why I get annoyed when someone lists games like Batman Arkham City and Killzone 3 as having amazing water. It may as well be an FMV, it's completely un-interactive.

The best water in any games I've seen is Sea of Thieves, hands down. Second would be Halo 3 which was just incredible, especially for the time - it actually had currents in the streams, and would carry items downstream, and would actually flow around items in the water like the characters legs, not just through them. Third would be GTA5.

There's this thing called art direction lol. They chose that style because that's what they wanted the game to look like.
Or because the water takes too much processing power and everything else has to look like shit. The game is fucking ugly, my guess is that is the best they could come up with after their load was spent on that water.

Last edited:

iHaunter

A three year old raging Reddit post and a three year old click bait article about the Reddit post. The poster even deleted the post of the things missing in the game, as it soon became out of date and was no longer relevant. 🤣

The Pirate Legend Athena Lair was an early update and at the time of release, I remember Rare said that there were only a handful of gamers in the world who had reached Pirate Legend status before the update.

Rare never lied, most of the artwork they have shown and what they talked about has ended up in the game. They never said it was all going to be there day one. MMOs evolve and are always changing. Content drops are spaced out in a way to keep people hooked and playing on a regular basis. Considering the success of SoT, Rare is doing a great job at keeping players engaged and attracting new players.
I never cared to look up more. There's a lot on it. They lied, the game launched with nothing in it.

Just get the fuck over it. Look at the metacritic. Like, why are you protecting this company. It's bizarre.

SdgCZA.jpg

MikeM

TLOU2 had some pretty damn good water. Probably stands out to me the most out of the games I have played recently. I have to admit though, I haven't played every game in the world.

Kuranghi

I remember Resistance 2 had a huge focus on stages filled with water. At the time the water physics blow me away, but it really only worked for tight spaces because of how exaggerated its physics was and how jelly-like it behaved in more open areas like the Kraken boss fight. But still, it was impressive for its time.

Awesome, looks really cool, I don't mind some jelly water if its very interactive.

Yeah it's why I get annoyed when someone lists games like Batman Arkham City and Killzone 3 as having amazing water. It may as well be an FMV, it's completely un-interactive.

The best water in any games I've seen is Sea of Thieves, hands down. Second would be Halo 3 which was just incredible, especially for the time - it actually had currents in the streams, and would carry items downstream, and would actually flow around items in the water like the characters legs, not just through them. Third would be GTA5.

I can't find a video showing how water interacts with things in SoT, I was looking for one last time I was in this thread but no luck, you ever seen anything like that?

I've watched an official Rare video where they talk about the tech but they don't mention interactivity, just the lighting and different modes for the water (beach, open seas, etc). I've never actually seen any water interaction with objects in any of the SoT streams I've watched, but they are always low quality so not the best way to judge.

The water does look fantastic, but it seems like a combination of Black Flag's dynamism and the pointy-peaks & specular highlight style of Arkham Knight from what I've seen, nothing too new overall. The translucency is awesome though.

Last edited:

Kuranghi

I love the rippling and the deformable surface of the blood cellar "spillage" in RE8: Village, it applies to some water bodies as well, you can sprint around in it and make some larger waves as well as just from shooting it. It really laps up on the edges and items which is where I find a lot of methods fall down:

MrFunSocks

Banned
Awesome, looks really cool, I don't mind some jelly water if its very interactive.

I can't find a video showing how water interacts with things in SoT, I was looking for one last time I was in this thread but no luck, you ever seen anything like that?

I've watched an official Rare video where they talk about the tech but they don't mention interactivity, just the lighting and different modes for the water (beach, open seas, etc). I've never actually seen any water interaction with objects in any of the SoT streams I've watched, but they are always low quality so not the best way to judge.

The water does look fantastic, but it seems like a combination of Black Flag's dynamism and the pointy-peaks & specular highlight style of Arkham Knight from what I've seen, nothing too new overall. The translucency is awesome though.
You can go in it for a start. In killzone 3 and Arkham city it’s a void. You fall in it you just fall through and die.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Yeah I agree definitely ac .. it has everything.. underwater, dynamic waves and beach surf.

Top Bottom