• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Mail Client?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dilbert

I tend to like Mozilla Thunderbird -- fast, with no security concerns. Then again, I use my email application for email only, and from what I hear, Thunderbird has a ways to go to integrate things like calendars with the email functionality...so it may not be appropriate for your needs. But if your main use is email, then definitely give it a look! You certainly can't beat the price. :)

You also might investigate Eudora -- that's what I used to use prior to switching to Thunderbird.

jenov4

Depends features you're looking for. Eudora does everything I need. But if you want overall features, functions go for MS Outlook 2003.

CaptainABAB

For me - Outlook 2003 - especially since I can connect to my work Exchange server via HTTP, and I can access Hotmail through it. Also, I sync my PocketPC with it - which includes syncing contacts, calendar items, tasks and notes in addition to email.

In addition, I use the following plug-ins: SpamNet for spam, NewsGator for RSS, LookOut for searching, and 'Getting Things Done' for personal productivity.

Grifter

Bregor said:
I am very happy with Eudora myself.

People still use that? Seriously, I wasn't sure if that was still updated. I have decade old memories of Eudora...before MS was bundling everything with their OS'.

I use Thunderbird. I love it. However, a new Apple Powerbook is on it's way to my house and I am unsure if I will stick with Thunderbird of swtich to Mail.

I use Thunderbird and I'm really happy with it. If you get a lot of junk mail, then it may be the client for you. It has an excellent filtering system which works by you marking which emails you receive are junk mail. Eventually, just about all junk mail gets filtered out.

Scoobert

Is there any way to put Thunderbird to system tray, or whatever it's called? You know, by the clock? :)

I don't think you can, huh?

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
I use Thunderbird for the IMAP and Newsgroups. I'm very satisfied but I am missing some features:

Inline Spell Checker (an extension is being worked on)
Calendar Integration

Tool

Banned
Scoobert said:
Is there any way to put Thunderbird to system tray, or whatever it's called? You know, by the clock? :)

I don't think you can, huh?

There's a Thunderbird extension that allows you to do this. Not built into Thunderbird client itself. I think it's called "Thundertray" if I'm not mistaken.

FnordChan

pinefig1.gif

FnordChan

StrikerObi said:
I use Thunderbird. I love it. However, a new Apple Powerbook is on it's way to my house and I am unsure if I will stick with Thunderbird of swtich to Mail.

Yeah, Apple Mail rocks.

Pimpwerx

I use Hotmail a lot, so I have to stick to Outlook Express. Until Tbird or Eudora support it natively, I'm not switching. And I'll never, EVER install Outlook on another one of my computers ever again. The definition of bloatware. That POS would suck and suck and suck. MS used to have a tiny (like 1MB) program called Schedule+ that was the scheduling feature stripped out of Outlook. Small memory footprint as well as drive footprint. Worked like a charm. I used to use that and Outlook Express, but I've since lost that program. If anyone wants to hook a brother up with a link to that program, I'll forever be in your debt. Schedule+ 7.5 I think was the last version of the program I had. AFAIK, MS has totally removed it from their site. PEACE.

Diablos

When it comes to e-mail clients, anything but MS. Outlook and Outlook Express have so many security flaws it's not funny.

jenov4

Diablos said:
When it comes to e-mail clients, anything but MS. Outlook and Outlook Express have so many security flaws it's not funny.

Exactly, it's so disgusting how many virus get spread from that software. The software is so popular that that virus / worm writers target that platform just for the very reason.

BTW Diablos, what happened to your freaky bunny avatar? I miss it. LOL!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom