• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Mega Man series.

X. I first saw it in a magazine ad for X3, and I simply loved the character designs. Having explored it further, I also love the cyberpunk tone, detailed environments (compared to the Classic series), and unlike most people, I also enjoy the addition of Axl.

WarAdept

Zero is definitely my favourite. Super hard, a simple focus on one character and it didn't have a multitude of bloat that the X series had later on and the sabre combat was so good.

Shame about both the Battle Network and X series, those both took a ginormous nosedive downwards in quality.

Classic is my Mega Man of choice. It has the tightest gameplay, generally best level design, and easily the best character design. One of the reasons I could never really get invested in Mega Man X was that all the characters fell for the Needlessly Complicated Design syndrome, making very few of them memorable at all. In contrast, I can remember all sorts of classic Robot Masters.

Haven't managed to play BN yet, though, so for all I know the EXE series could be amazing.

TI82

Banned
Classic is my Mega Man of choice. It has the tightest gameplay, generally best level design, and easily the best character design. One of the reasons I could never really get invested in Mega Man X was that all the characters fell for the Needlessly Complicated Design syndrome, making very few of them memorable at all. In contrast, I can remember all sorts of classic Robot Masters.

Haven't managed to play BN yet, though, so for all I know the EXE series could be amazing.

It is. Even the low point of the series (3) I enjoyed because of the gameplay. None of the storylines are particularly good and the quests are usually just fetch crap here go there etc. But its fun and the graphics are cute. Plus some of the characters are hilarious and plugging into electronics is so cool.

Azure J

Why does everybody seem to hate Axl, apart from being introduced within the least accepted X game (which I still enjoyed)? Just curious.

This is legitimately one of the things that has never made any sense to me. Axl was pretty cool, though I do feel like they should have played up the whole "I can literally copy you wholesale or piecemeal" over having him as yet another ranged option on top of the copy reploid system he had going on.

And there is no Megaman X7.

My first choice would be Mega Man Legends.

And my second choice would be Mega Man ZX.
And my third choice I guess would be Mega Man Zero.
And I guess my fourth choice would be Mega Man Classic.

But it's hard too choose. I like Mega Man Classic and Mega Man X a lot. Mega Man X was one of my favourite Super Nintendo games, and I've wanted X's legs ever since playing Mega Man X.
But X feels lonely and scary, somehow. Especially the first game.

And Mega Man Classic would be my favourite Mega Man series, if they had decided to make Roll a heroine in Mega Man III like they had planned.

EVERY.SINGLE.ONE.
Although my favorite one is the Zero series because the story feels more developed and Zero as the protagonist is great.

kunonabi

Classic followed by legends. X had two great games and then went to shit. Ive tried to get into battle network but its far too slow. Zero just wasnt my cup of tea.

classic mega man only had three bad games so its hard not to put it at the top.

Village

Why does everybody seem to hate Axl, apart from being introduced within the least accepted X game (which I still enjoyed)? Just curious.

He's the silver the hedgehog/Zoroark of megaman characters.

that isn't an insult or a compliment.

Raitaro

Quite an entertaining and informative OP. For a long time the only reason to think the Mega Man series was dead is if you only count the Classic and X series, like I did admittedly as they are my favorites too (partly because I never really tried the other sub series except Zero 1).

At the same time it might be even more strange that Capcom seems so unwilling or unsure how to keep this IP alive when you consider how often they had to reinvent it already. I wish they'd bring the blue bomber back regardless of gameplay style or genre at this point. I'm ready to evolve with him! Heck, bring the IP back as a Monster Hunter / Lost Planet type game for all I care as long as it's spirit remains true to itself in terms of art style and tone.

StarPhlox

I've been replaying a lot of Mega Man games lately and I would say

Classic series first because it has no duds at all
X has probably the best peaks but also the deepest valleys (X6-X8)
Zero is also really strong but didn't grab me as much
ZX only has two games and they're both entertaining but have some bad design choices
Legends games were just OK, not the revelation I was expecting based on fan feedback

Battle Network I played most of the first game and just couldn't enjoy it with the far too frequent random battles

Star Force I played about 10 minutes of and it seemed like a worse version of Battle Network. Pass.

Servbot24

Banned
1. Zero
2. X
3. Legends
4. EXE
5. Classic
6. ZX
7. SF

X1 and Legends 2 are the best games, but Zero has 4 excellent games that take the MegaMan formula to an amazing gameplay end point.

EXE3 is an all time level great game btw

BN and Star force will always be my favourites because they always have my favourite type of game. Also any game with Black Ace, Red Joker, Cross Beast and the Tribe King is easily the winner in my heart.

I also liked X, Zero and ZX a lot.

Only the classic is really weaker imo.

NahaNago

For me its legends. I love the characters and like was said earlier its extremely charming, thats also the reason i like n64 Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon . Battle network would be the series i like second best and i think could be easily made on the ps4 if they imitate the digimon cybersleuth game. The only other mega man series i played was the main entries and i liked them the least , they are not bad and i played them a lot, its just not really the kind of game i would buy/play nowadays.

kunonabi

X goes to complete shit after X3 so it's dead last for me.

Classic > Legends > Zero > ZX > Network > Starforce > X

X has the highest highs, and the lowest lows.

My choice would be the Legends series. I still replay all 3 games fairly regularly, and I can't say that for any other series in which I pick and choose.

I should give the EXE series another whirl through... but with so much filler and so much samey content, I'm not sure I'll bother. Especially the first title which I can only remember as clunky.

Rezae

Classic. Quick and easy to jump into. Pure action, no interruptions. Like someone mentioned on the first page, going back to it with MM9 and MM10 really made me appreciate the series roots.

MMX is one of the best games ever made, but I feel the X series itself has a drop in quality later on.

Probably Classic series since there's only 1 or 2 mainline entries in there that are bad, the rest are consistently good.

X' high points are some of the best in the entire franchise, but so are the low points being the worst with how bad they can get, like X6' Nightmare system making it up to RNG for certain level hazards, accessing alternate stage paths, and rescuing reploid hostages

Battle Network's first 3 games are my favorite games of any series though, they were the only things I played on my GBA for awhile.

Never played any of the other series that much to have anything to say about them.

For me it is a tie between the X series and the Zero series. The X series mainly due to nostalgia for X 1-3. X4 being my favorite Mega Man game of all time because of its music. The Zero series for me is amazing because of its story.

Reset

X series is the best one, with X5 being my favorite title. It had the best sound track, ability swap characters, multiple armors for X, enhancements for both characters, and it had one of my favorite boss fights. Yeah, I'd agree with X having the highest highs and lowest lows (X7).

Zero series comes in second place. It's the most consistent series, but it comes in due second place due to me preferring the art style in the X series over the Zero series. And in the earlier games, I wasn't fan of leveling up the weapons nor getting a high rank to unlock skills.

ZX is in third since it's map system is awful, but the combat system was still the same as Zero. Trying to copy one of the worst series (Metroid) was a mistake, there's a reason Metorid why now the ZX series is dead and left in a cliff hanger. No one wants Metroids (that's why Metorid is also dead.)

Battle Network comes in fourth and Starforce in fifth. The games were enjoyable, but I just prefer thegameplay from the X/Zero/ZX series.

Classic series is boring/slow paced, and I never played Legends since it looks janky and ugly.

i grew up on megaman 8, and since then have played all of the original series minus 9 & 10, so that is forever my favorite.

but i loved battle network 2, and megaman zero 2 (artwork is some of my favorite ever).

i need to finish the x series but i find some of them to not be very good (the ps2 era ones).

PsionBolt

Hello, two years ago. Nice to see you again.
Turns out my thoughts haven't changed much -- Legends is my favourite, but Classic wins in sheer number of outstanding games.

One thing I can add now that I didn't say back then: after the absolutely fantastic Gunvolt 2, I think it's safe to say that GV has passed ZX and Star Force. Here's hoping a new sequel happens soon.

Peltz

Original series has the best artwork in my opinion. Mega Man characters are the most charming in 8-bit form.

It also has the purest gameplay in my humble opinion. But all of the series are really enjoyable (from what I have experienced).

leroidys

i grew up on megaman 8, and since then have played all of the original series minus 9 & 10, so that is forever my favorite.

but i loved battle network 2, and megaman zero 2 (artwork is some of my favorite ever).

i need to finish the x series but i find some of them to not be very good (the ps2 era ones).
Oh man, do yourself a favor and find a way to play 9 and 10.

RRockman

Banned
I'm sorry but Starforce had the best Character designs out of all of them. I can't get enough of Black Ace Megaman's ZOE style wings.

Siege.exe

It is. Even the low point of the series (3) I enjoyed because of the gameplay. None of the storylines are particularly good and the quests are usually just fetch crap here go there etc. But its fun and the graphics are cute. Plus some of the characters are hilarious and plugging into electronics is so cool.

Woah woah woah woah woah, wait a minute. How exactly is 3 the low point? I'd argue it's the best out of the six.

Top Bottom