• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Mega Man series.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
No lists, no drive by responses. Say why. The different series are:

Classic:

The basic story of the series revolves around the robot engineer Dr. Thomas Light, his robotic "children", Rock/Mega Man (a lab-assistant) and Roll (a housekeeper), and their struggle against Dr. Albert W. Wily. The series is set in the early-21st century. The classic series features traditional jump and shoot gameplay, and many games feature unique mechanics such as the slide, the bolt shop, and sidekick characters that can assist you during gameplay.

Main entries:

• Mega Man (Rock became Mega Man in May 25, 2XXX.)
  • Mega Man Powered Up (remake of the first game)
  • Mega Man 2 (200X, as shown in the opening. Starts in June 9, one year (and 2 weeks) after the first game.)
  • Mega Man 3 (20XX, as shown in the Rockman Complete Works official site and in the back of the original Japanese box. Of note, the Wii Virtual Console manual shows the year 200X. Gamma is stolen in August 28.)
  • Mega Man 4 (One year after Mega Man 3, as shown in the NES and Virtual Console manuals.)
  • Mega Man 5 (20XX, as shown in the opening. About two months after Mega Man 4.)
  • Mega Man 6 (One year after Mega Man 5.)
  • Mega Man 7 (Six months after Mega Man 6, as shown in the opening)
  • Mega Man 8
  • Mega Man & Bass
  • Mega Man 9
  • Mega Man 10

X:

The series is set in the 22nd century, almost one-hundred years after the events of the first Mega Man series. The story revolves around Mega Man X, the final and ultimate creation of Dr. Thomas Light, who is discovered by world-renowned archaeologist Dr. Cain and used to create an advanced race of robots known as "Reploids" (called so because they are literally replicas based on the design of X). However, not long after their creation, some of the Reploids begin to go "Maverick" and attack humans. Because of this, Dr. Cain is asked by the council to put a stop to this, and as such, forms a special unit to stop these "Mavericks" known as the "Maverick Hunters". However, the leader of the Hunters and Dr. Cain's creation, Sigma, goes Maverick himself, taking many of the Hunters with him. Thus, the "Maverick Wars" begins to take shape...

The X series introduces the dash, armor upgrade/hidden capsule, and multiple playable character (from X4 onward) mechanics to the series.

Main entries:
  • Mega Man X (began in June 4, 21XX, according to the Journal of Dr. Cain)
  • Mega Man Maverick Hunter X (remake of the first game)
  • Mega Man X2 (six months after the first game, as shown in the opening scene)
  • Mega Man Xtreme
  • Mega Man X3 (several months after Mega Man X2, as shown in the opening scene)
  • Mega Man Xtreme 2
  • Mega Man X4 (After Mega Man Xtreme 2)
  • Mega Man X5 (Several months after Mega Man X4)
  • Mega Man X6 (Three weeks after Mega Man X5, as shown in the opening scene)
  • Mega Man X7 (Quite some time after Mega Man X6)
  • Mega Man X8

Note: there are debates on whether or not X7, X8, or the side story RPG, Command Mission, are canon. Most signs point to "yes", as the Jakob Orbital Elevator from X8 is in the ZX series.

Zero:

The Mega Man Zero series, known as Rockman Zero (ロックマンゼロ Rokkuman Zero) in Japan, made its debut in 2002 on the Game Boy Advance and takes place one-hundred years after Zero had sealed himself after the Elf Wars. In this time-period, both the "Maverick Wars" and "Elf Wars" have ended, but a new threat has arisen. A young scientist named Ciel, leader of a "Resistance", is searching for the legendary hero Zero to help in the fight against the oppressive forces of Neo Arcadia. She comes across the ruins of the lab in which Zero was sealed and awakens him. Thus, Zero joins the Resistance and takes up his sword once again to fight against evil.

The Zero series ditches the multiple protagonist approach adopted by the X series, going back to focusing on one character. Zero is able to use a multitude of different weapons, and can learn new abilities from bosses much like the various iterations of Mega Man throughout the series. However, learning abilities is quite a bit harder as they require you to beat bosses with a certain ranking. In general, the Zero series is considered to be very difficult.

Main entries:
  • Mega Man Zero
  • Mega Man Zero 2
  • Mega Man Zero 3
  • Mega Man Zero 4

ZX:

th

The Mega Man ZX series made its debut in 2006 on the Nintendo DS and is set over 200 years after the events of the Mega Man Zero series.

In this new era, the difference between humans and Reploids has become nonexistent, and a new combination of "man and machine," called "Humanoids" has emerged. A new series of "Maverick" uprisings begins to occur, which proves to be a dangerous threat since all beings on Earth are now part machine in nature and thus susceptible to the outbreak. Vent/Aile, orphans from a Maverick outbreak that occurred ten years ago, get drawn into the new conflict, along with Girouette, the head of their delivery team. The sequel takes a departure from the franchise norm of a single protagonist per series, instead choosing to focus on a new set of heroes, Ashe and Grey, and their relationship with the mysterious Model A.

The ZX series focuses on the biometal mechanic. Whereas other Mega Men could copy various abilities, Vent, Aile, Ashe, and Grey are able to merge with various biometals, transforming into other characters entirely.

Main entries:

• Mega Man ZX
  • Mega Man ZX Advent

No spinoffs, and only two games. Sigh... poor ZX.

Legends:

latest

The Mega Man Legends series made its debut in 1997 on the Sony PlayStation. In Japan, the series is called Rockman DASH, DASH being an acronym standing for Digouter's Adventure Stories in the Halcyon Days; which in Greek mythology, "Halcyon Days" is a period of seven days in winter when storms never occur, having calm winds and waves.

The story is centered around the Mega Man Volnutt, his partner Roll Caskett, and Roll's grandfather Barrell Caskett, as they search the world, "digging" through ancient ruins, in search of Quantum Refractors (the major source of power for their civilization). Along the way, they skirmish frequently with Reaverbots and Air Pirates.

Legends is a 3D take on Mega Man, and focuses more on exploration and world building than it does on action. This makes it a sort of black sheep in the franchise.

Main entries:

• Mega Man Legends
  • Mega Man Legends 2
  • The Misadventures of Tron Bonne

Battle Network:

Set in a parallel universe from the classic Mega Man series, the Internet has become integrated with almost every piece of electronic equipment in existence (from TVs to ovens). In fact, it's become so complicated that special programs called Net Navigators are needed to efficiently process all of the data. Net Navigators (NetNavis for short) are stored in hand-held devices called Personal Terminals (PET). These devices act as phones, pagers, instant messengers, news beams, and hacking devices all rolled into one, essentially making them portable computers.

The main characters of the series are a fifth-grader named Lan Hikari (光熱斗 Netto Hikari) in Japan, and his NetNavi best friend MegaMan.EXE (Rockman.EXE), this universe's incarnation of the legendary Blue Bomber. Although MegaMan.EXE has no body (unless the PET device itself counts), he can wander around in cyberspace and explore computer systems as if they were alternate worlds. Together, Lan and MegaMan.EXE (also known as just MegaMan) cooperate to fight off hackers and viruses.

Battle Network is a Mega Man RPG, although it takes a Pokemon-esque spin on things with NetNavis and the collectable chip system.

Main Entries:

Mega Man Battle Network
Mega Man Battle Network 2
Mega Man Battle Network 3 Blue/White
Mega Man Battle Network 4 Red Sun/Blue Moon
Mega Man Battle Network 5 Team Protoman/Team Colonel
Mega Man Battle Network 6 Cybeast Gregar/Falzar

Star Force:

latest

Mega Man Star Force, known as Ryūsei no Rockman (流星のロックマン Ryuusei no Rockman, lit. Shooting Star Rockman) in Japan, is a series of games set about two-hundred years after the Mega Man Battle Network series, in the 220X time period and takes place in the same parallel universe as the Battle Network series. The main character, Geo Stelar, son of a missing astronaut, Kelvin Stelar, reluctantly joins forces with an alien Omega-Xis, to foil evil plots, led by Omega-Xis' own kind and many other enemies, as he tries to find out what really happened to his father, and ultimately change his depressing lifestyle. Coincidentally, the result of Geo Stelar's EM Wave Change with Omega-Xis (fusing together much like MegaMan.EXE's Synchro Chip) forms Mega Man, hero of the past.

This series makes very few allusions and references to other timelines, and some to the Network timeline, as Capcom produced the series as a more "stand-alone" series, which gives players the ability to fully enjoy the series even if they haven't played the Mega Man Battle Network series.

While the Battle Network series is more focused on NetNavis who are based on Robot Masters from the classic Mega Man series, Star Force focuses on EM Beings (mostly FM-ians who are based on real life constellations), especially on those who are able to fuse with humans in the EM Wave Change.

Star Force's position in the timeline actually makes it the parallel universe's take on the Mega Man Zero era, skipping over 21XX, which would be the Mega Man X era.

Star Force is very similar to Battle Network, although the number of squares in battle are fewer, and the camera has been shifted to an over the shoulder view.

Main Entries:

• Mega Man Star Force
  • Mega Man Star Force 2 Zerker x Ninja/Zerker x Saurian
  • Mega Man Star Force 3 Black Ace/Red Joker

Will come back later with my answer.

Valus

Definitely the MMX series.

Amazing music, amazing gameplay, and a story that I actually cared about. Egoraptor explains pretty much why MMX is such an amazing game/series.

sn00zer

Legends, but I love action adventure games. Also kind of blows my mind that people think there arent enough Megaman games.....pretty much all of the games have concluded ...except of course the one I care about :(...and would buy in an instant if the released on PSN....which they wont...because gaaaaaaahhhhh

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
The classic series is the best because it has the highest amount of great games. The only mediocre entry is Mega Man 8.

Although personally, I think the X and Zero series reach greater highs.

Sephzilla

Mega Man X series.

The original Mega Man X is not only the best Mega Man game ever made but it's one of the best video games ever made, period.

Shun

Zero has the best gameplay, period. The story was nice too. We crave that kind of 2D fast past gameplay and that itch hasn't been scratched since Zero.

Dash is just as good in gameplay, visuals, overall charm.

I'd put Zero > Dash > X/EXE > The Rest.

RowdyReverb

I would put MMX over classic because upgrading X throughout the course of the game added a ton to the satisfying feeling of progression. By the end of each MMX, you felt like a total badass in the armor that you found and earned. Classic MM was fun and had a few of these aspects, but not to the same degree.
Can't speak for the other series because I never played them.

Servbot24

Banned
Legends > Zero > X > EXE > Classic > ZX > Star force

Legends is one of things where I'm not even sure how to describe why I like it so much. The term "charm" gets driven into the ground in regards to that series, but it truly does apply. The story in the game is actually excellent, the characters are very endearing, and the gameplay actually works really well, with the single flaw of strafing being too viable of a strategy.

X had the highest high with MMX, which in my opinion is one of the 5 best games ever made. However it dropped of to being good after that, and terrible after X5, so I give the nod to Zero for 4 remarkably consistent and excellent entries.

I played EXE 3 over 100 hours and it's one of my favorite games ever, but the series quickly grew old.

Classic is great but I never loved it.

ZX is solid, but doesn't have enough of its own identity.

SF is garbage.

Boogiepop

Legends, but I love action adventure games. Also kind of blows my mind that people think there arent enough Megaman games.....pretty much all of the games have concluded ...except of course the one I care about :(...and would buy in an instant if the released on PSN....which they wont...because gaaaaaaahhhhh

The ZX series is also in dire need of a third game thanks to a cliffhanger. Also, I've played pretty much everything Mega Man wise, just need to knock out Legends 1 and then find a way to get Tron Bonne at some point, and then I'll have played through all the English releases (and there's not much of value in the Japan only stuff). And I definitely want some new stuff.

Anyway, for my tastes it's a toss up between Classic and Zero, but I'd probably give it to Classic. Except for I guess Mega Man II (the GB one) and I guess Rockman & Bass 2 (at least from what I hear) it never got bad, just some less exciting games. Zero is kind of the same as well, but I feel like I'd place Classic higher as a whole. Then Legends and ZX just hardly got any games, and X and Battle Network have some serious crap in them. And then Star Force is just kind of eh, though 3 is pretty cool.

Legends Series was my personal favorite.

They were really fun Action/Adventure games featuring Mega Man (and features from other games). Story was entertaining, towns were fun to explore, dungeons were well designed and filled with secrets, music was excellent, weapons were fun to build/customize, and the graphics were nice and colorful.

It was basically a Mega Man "Legend of Zelda" for me.

qko

A toss up for me on the Main Series and MMX. The collecting Power ups(Buster, run boos, jump boost, etc. in stage is kinda what make X edge out the main series for me.

Fireblend

Banned
Loved Zero and EXE.

The GBA really was the best console for Megaman.

The classic is great of course though.

X is too inconsistent. It should have finished at 4-5. Everything beyond that though.... ew.

Ridli

Classic. I just wanna be a robot that jumps and shoots things. Especially the "weight" of the classic series jump, I don't know how to explain it.

I played some x and zero and they were fine, but when 9 came out I realized that was all I ever wanted from the blue bomber.

Aeana

The classic series was my favorite game series for a very long time. I still love it very dearly. I wasn't a big fan of the shift over to Zero or the more shounen manga tone of the X series after the first game, and I don't like Zero's melee gameplay style nearly as much. I still enjoy the X games, and even the Zero series, but the classic series is far and away my favorite.

Mortemis

Banned
The classic series is the best, most definitely. Legends has a large spot in my heart but the classic had the most quality games for sure.

For me, it's Zero. Loved the new Zero design, level design, extremely tight gameplay. Variety in weapons is great as well. Story is pretty awesome as well. The stuff they pulled off on the GBA was also amazing.

Pharaun

Legends >>>>>>>X>Battle Network>Zero>Classic>ZX>Starforce

I'm still pissed about what Capcom has done to this franchise.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
X for me, easily. The gameplay is so fast, and the controls are perfect. It also has my favorite visual style and music, by far... Especially in X5 and X6 (crappy though X6 was.)

Zero and ZX could never quite replicate, let alone improve upon, the X series' feel.

trixx

Battle network. It was one of the reboots to a franchise ever. The battle system is so unique, the stories for the must part is very good. The fact that everything revolved around the internet when the internet was becoming more popular for kids was brilliant, similar to the television show ReBoot.

Battle Network 3 is still one of my favourite rpg's of all time.

X has some of my favorite games of all time but gotta go with Classic since it never shit itself like the X series did and it didn't dissolve into Inafune wanking off to Proto Man while Rock gets shoved into the corner like it happened with Zero and X.

bounchfx

I really love Zero and ZX, but overall I'm going to say X is the best, simply because of X. x2 and x3 were fucking great too, but X is just the pinnacle of megaman imo.

RM8

Classic by far. It's pure action platforming / shooting - challenging and charming. Even the "bad" games are good, the music is the best (X is great too, though), has the best Mega Man design (simple, iconic, timeless, it's Capcom's Mario). Yup, Classic.

My introduction to the series was the first X, BTW.

TheDanimal

It's gotta be the Zero series. The fast paced action gameplay sets the bar for all 2D action games, at least in my book. It's just so good.
Can I count Gunvolt in this series too? :p
Runner up is Battle Network. Such a fun series.

120v

mega man 9 reminded me of everything amazing about the classic series. it was sort of a religious experience for me

you really can't go wrong with classic. should be interesting to see where Mighty No. 9 goes, as i'm assuming it'll toe the line between classic and X

I love Legends 1 and will always speak highly of it, but I've spent much more time with the Battle Network series.

I really wish I spent more time with Legends 2 and Battle Network 6 though.

Classic is the most consistent in terms of quality considering how many games there are. X is also good but at the same time there's major duds like X6 and 7 and even then to me the best game is still the first one. I think ZX is rather underrated but at the same time there's only two games and they have their share of flaws (shitty map in ZX 1 anybody?) I always liked how unique Legends is but alas that wasn't given its time to shine.

So with that being said I'm going to go with classic.

BriGuy

The classic series, just because most of its entries are solid. I like the X series too, but there are some real turds in the mix. The Zero series is also quite good, but I was much older when I played it so it doesn't occupy the same place in my heart.

Seik

Banned
Mega Man X, all the way!

The music is awesome, Zero is there, you can Dash and jump everywhere on the walls.

The only problem is that, compared to the classic series, it went bad the moment X6 came out. X8 is a bit less bad than its two predecessor but still...

RK128

For me, it would have to be the X series, as it is the one I have the most exposure to compared to the other sub-series in the Mega Man series (the only classic games I properly played was MM2, 9 and 10....I know I have to play MM3 and Powered Up at some point XD!).

I just find the feel that Mega Man X games provide is just so good; pulling off a successful dash jump, dodging the bosses attacks at the right moments, listening to the rocking soundtrack (just....listen to THIS for crying out loud :D! The MMX series has an amazing soundtrack :')) and X & Zero just being a joy to play as.

I have to check out the Legends games in the future though....as they are essentially Zelda X MM Classic, and that is an amazing combination :D (if only they would ever land on PSN.....
maybe emulation is a good way to try them out?
).

The MM series is a franchise that feels very complete (outside of the Legends and ZX franchises), so while it really sucks Capcom let the series....die essentially, the series had a fantastic run and provided decades of great gaming :).

Kansoku

Battle Network for me. The battle system is incredible, I love the art, especially the Navi's designs. And it helped me learn English, so yeah, it has a special place.

After it I guess Classic/Zero. I'm not too fond of X, never played Legends, ZX is good, and Star Force sucks.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Classic is the real Mega Man to me. Some of the best games of the NES era, and that was a great era. I'm still playing these games 2.5 decades after they were new.

X was hit or miss after the first one. Zero I never got into. Battle Network can die in a fire. Legends... I liked Legends. Capcom killed off 3, though.. So it's kind of a tainted series...

Gameplay-wise, I feel that when it's at its best, Mega Man X takes the cake. Dashing speeds the gameplay up, wall-jumping opens the level design up, Heart Containers and Armor Parts add elements of RPG-style progression and Metroid-esque area discovery... it made a lot of very good refinements to the core gameplay of Mega Man.

Aesthetics-wise, though, I prefer the original Mega Man. It's all just so much more charming than MMX. Wily is more fun a villain than Sigma (even if the latter is more threatening overall). The goofy "[noun] (Wo)Man" bosses are perhaps more relatable than various the animal-themed robots that the average Mavericks are. Everything's generally brighter and happier.

Not to say Legends, Zero, Battle Network or ZX aren't good, but the first two subseries are what I consistently think of when I think Mega Man, so

X has my favorite games of all time! No games beats Megaman X and Megaman X4 in terms of gameplay..NONE!

But since I gotta admit I love jrpgs...battle network and starforce were pretty awesome and they always gave me epic over the top transformation with the like of cybeast, cross beast, double soul, The tribe King and Black Ace. Because really Black Ace doing Black End Galaxy is pretty epic!

http://youtu.be/PY_JCXEyH78

So I guess for me for me it's X, Battle Network and Starforce in that order.

SgtCobra

Classic > Zero > MMX > MML > ZX > MMBN
Why (for the top 3)
Classic for its simplistic but rewarding gameplay.
X for building into that and refining it with better storytelling and more overall content.
Zero because it was badassm

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Zero then X for me. Don't care much about the originals.

Top Bottom