• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best method to stay awake past 24 hours?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zozz

Banned
Well, I fucked up and I have to stay awake for at least 32 hours. Woke up at 11 yesterday. I have to do so much shit today, any methods to stay awake past 24 hours without sleep? Sleeping is not an option. FUCK

mAcOdIn

Zozz said:
Well, I fucked up and I have to stay awake for at least 32 hours. Woke up at 11 yesterday. I have to do so much shit today, any methods to stay awake past 24 hours without sleep? Sleeping is not an option. FUCK
Do all the shit you have to do?

Staying up past 24 hours is only really a problem for the human body if you have nothing to do, if you got a ton of shit to do it should be relatively easy, I do it all the time. Just have some food ready throughout the day and you're set. Might want to set up a ride for when you finish your last task if it won't be at home though, once you feel finished the body starts to get really tired, at least mine does, and driving home is dangerous, so getting a ride is a good idea.

lots of caffeine and probably drugs (both legal/illegal) would be my guess

you could try looking into guarana (legal) as it's basically a caffeine pill

it's sold at GNC as far as I know

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
For me it's usually eating properly, then I can stay up for about 2-3 days, but that's probably because I do nothing all the time.

It's not really a problem if you have something to do. My mind usually enters the danger zone after 48 hours. Things get really strange after 2 days without or with extremely limited sleep.

Parl

-Sunlight
-Not too much sugar when you're tired (it gives you a high then a big crash)
-Not too much carbs (can bring on more tiredness)
-Caffeine
-Keep mentally active
-One or two 20 minute naps will assist greatly
-Once tiredness hits, remembering that you'll become less sleepy again after a few hours
-Eat well, but don't get full

Edit: How could I forget showers?

DoomGyver

Take a shower when you get really tired, then eat something good and in an hour or so the tiredness will leave you for several hours.

Darklord

Banned
Exercise for a bit every few hours. Even if it's a walk around the block. The fresh air, sun and movement will keep you awake.

Power naps help quite a bit, something like 20 minutes can give you a boost that'll last a while.

Showering helps wake you up. For the extra punch just before getting out turn the cold to full for a second or two.

Don't get too comfy. If you're sitting around make it a stool or a work chair, not a couch or a bed or anything like that. They WILL get you in the end.

Coffee and/or Energy Drinks.

32 hours isn't that bad, it seems long but you can do it without much issue. I've been up for 40 hours before.

What helps me is lots of sugar free red bull. I had to do this sometimes during the semester....in fact I just did it the other day too...cause I messed up as well

but as another poster said...staying active is key....when you have nothing to do...you start to fall asleep quick. Staying busy, focused...and lots of sugar free red bull helps me alot

I never really dropped asleep since it takes me forever to sleep, but I did stayed up for 36 hours before.

Eating/Drinking on a 3 hour routine helps out a lot.
Keep your mind focused on something.
Don't lay down :lol

tak

It's not hard. Just keep yourself busy and listen to energetic music. Don't hit the energy drinks or sugar drinks; you'll eventually get heavy lows from them.

Jokey665

Full Recovery said:
Take a shower when you get really tired, then eat something good and in an hour or so the tiredness will leave you for several hours.
Parl said:
-Sunlight
-Not too much sugar when you're tired (it gives you a high then a big crash)
-Not too much carbs (can bring on more tiredness)
-Caffeine
-Keep mentally active
-One or two 20 minute naps will assist greatly
-Once tiredness hits, remembering that you'll become less sleepy again after a few hours
-Eat well, but don't get full
These are a big part of what lets me do it when I need to. Once you hit about 20 hours the next 20 or so come easy, though.

Showers and eating properly always help.

Make sure the shower's a good one, too. Got any nice soaps hanging around? The missus' facemasks? Go on, treat yourself, you're worth it. For your health.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Maybe the occasional, small dose of caffiene will help but too much will lead to a crash.
The best thing you can do is to stay physically active, you can't fall asleep if you're outside or at least standing up and moving.

Puddles

Banned
032710_salem_bust_Blue_Meth.jpg

InfiniteNine said:
For me it's usually eating properly, then I can stay up for about 2-3 days, but that's probably because I do nothing all the time.

f0rj8x.png

jjasper

Continuous amounts of Caffeine throughout the night/day is the best way legally either through caffeine pills, coffee, or a sugarfree energy drink.

Adderall is the best if available.

hirokazu

You guys are nuts. If I try to stay awake for more than 30 hours, my body feels like it'll just give up at any moment. Why take the risk?

I'm on a tough course and we have crunch periods for almost every assignment.

Firstly make yourself comfortable, irritation leads to tiredness in pressure points. Take brief regular breaks, walk about and get blood flowing.
Get music that makes your heart beat.
Energy drinks and non greasy junk food.
I'd agree with showers, never had the option but probably works.

Also set yourself goals. If i do this by 4am then I get a treat of something. That always keeps me trucking at like 9am before the canteen opens for breakfast.

If you canjust sleep. 4 hours will help you produce better work if you have 4 hours spare.

hteng

Banned
you're going to ruin your body, don't ever stay awake for more than 24 hours, get a couple of hours of rest and then continue. you're fuck either way.

DarkKyo

Lol don't lay down. Evar. Oh god... One time I stayed up all night to finish a college project and I had work the next day. Ended up falling asleep 1 HOUR BEFORE WORK because I wanted to lay down and rest. Needless to say my day went to shit from there.

GodofWine

1. WTF exactly do you need to do...cause there is nothing you can do well after being awake for 20+ hrs.

2. 1,3 Dimethylamylamine...its legal, so thats a plus.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Shower.
Starbucks Doubleshots.
Thinking about how screwed you are if you don't stay awake.

Zozz said:

Zozzzzzzzzzzzz
students can't hear
(Today, 06:23 AM)
Reply | Quote

East Lake

hirokazu said:
You guys are nuts. If I try to stay awake for more than 30 hours, my body feels like it'll just give up at any moment. Why take the risk?
I feel like shit if I start approaching 24. Not like my body is going to give up but it's so taxing mentally, with that sleepy feeling as if the blood is draining from my head. The only thing that stops it is hard exercise.

Antimatter said:
I feel like shit if I start approaching 24. Not like my body is going to give up but it's so taxing mentally, with that sleepy feeling as if the blood is draining from my head. The only thing that stops it is hard exercise.
I'm the opposite. A few hours after my usual bed-time I feel tired, but if I just keep going the tiredness passes and I'm back to normal for the whole day until the next night.

I've missed a night of sleep 3 times for a Uni deadline. Even if I finish work in time and have time for 2 / 3 hours sleep I'd rather stay up, better than sleeping and then feeling like shit as soon as you wake up - which sucks.

OP I doubt you'll have trouble staying up, it's not like you'll be typing away or whatever and just drop unconscious at your desk.

1) Try to get out of whatever obligation this is. This is not good for you and you will perform poorly at whatever you need to do.

2) Light. LOTS OF LIGHT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom